Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
RickSt

Friends: (0)
Default Another Newbie

Hi y'all,

I've wanted to get into this hobby since I was a kid but it seemed to always get put on the back burner until now. My wife made me retire a year ago and we moved to Central Florida. Now I have all the time in the world with nothing to do until a buddy of mine recently got into the hobby and he in turn introduced me to others who have been flying for years. The past couple of Sundays we've went to a flying field nearby where I've had the chance to fly on a buddy box. I've been reading as much as I can and asking a lot of questions. When asking about the best plane to begin with it seems everyone has an opinion and rarely are any the same. That's where the forums have helped.

This morning after a dentist appointment I drove on over to Graves RC in Orlando. I explained to them that I was brand new in the hobby and he agreed with the forums and went straight to the Apprentice S 15E. He said there is nothing else like it on the market and it's appealing to older flyers also because they aren't showing up used in the classifieds. I also asked a couple of other customers their opinions and they said they wished they had been able to start out on an Apprentice. So I bought one with an extra battery.

As much as I'd love to put the Apprentice together and go flying, Arthur is keeping us all grounded right now as he churns up off the east coast and is sending rain bands over Central Florida. So I'll stay busy reading the manuals and reading the forums until the weather breaks.

Rick
Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

Welcome to the forums and welcome, also, to the wonderful world
of R/C flying. You will fine lots of helpful people here to answer your
questions.

I am glad you are starting out with some experienced flyers as that is
probably the BEST way to go. Don't just go it alone. This is a ticket to
disaster!!

Take your time and go slow. Learn the basics and learn them well. You will
end up spending a lot less money and also having a lot more fun too.

Glad to have another member on Watt Flyer.

jr

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Welcome to this great hobby,

Good move getting the Apprentice. I recommended the same model to a new flyer recently and two weeks ago he turned up with one at the field. I set it up for him, took it off (It didn't need trimming), set it to beginner mode and gave the Tx to him. He flew it around for the rest of the flight with no big issues, i gave him a bit of coaching and on the second flight he landed it himself after i set it up on landing approach, which is just unheard of for a normal RC model. On the fourth flight he solo'ed from take off to landing, which again is just unheard of.

On the next flight he was so confident he insisted that i go fly my models and he could fly unsupervised (which he proceeded to do with no issues).

Once set up and in beginner mode the Apprentice is almost un-crashable. Take-off is quite literally as simple as pointing the plane into wind and opening the throttle, SAFE does the rest. The only problem you are likely to have is either flying into something (trees etc) or flying away... So for your early flights best fly in a large open field and don't fly if it's windy as it might get blown downwind.

If anything the SAFE system in the Apprentice is almost too good, it may be quite hard to wean yourself off it when the time comes, but there is 'intermediate mode' to help with the transition to un-aided flying.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Welcome aboard, Rick! Sounds like you're on the right track with flying buddies and that Apprentice. I agree with JetPlaneFlyer about that SAFE system. It's great for beginners, but also a big leap when you pull off those 'training wheels'. Also, beware of the HUGE turn radius when that plane is in beginner mode! Don't be a stranger!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Porcia83

Another addict in the making, welcome to the illness!

Great first plane to start with, I did the same thing 4 years ago but without the newer technology. You'll love the plane, plenty to keep you busy for a while. When you get better, pick up some floats, it's a blast on water.

Get yourself a few extra batteries too. I'd have at least 3 handy to go flying with. You can go smaller than the 3300, or a bit bigger, but not by much.

Enjoy, and have fun.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Neilson Orlov

wow, newbie welcome newbie

Fly Plane, Fly Yourself
Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
RV Winkle

Club: Skymac
Friends: (2)

just wondering about appealing to older flyers comment

Welcome to the madness and let folks know how it is going
Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race

I was the same place you a few months ago, started with a HZ Cub which was also suggested on here, because it was in stock and the Apprentice wasn't.
Now looking at building a much bigger trainer. Sig Kadet from the kit.
Very glad I started with the basic foam trainer I did, now I'm looking forward to being able to fly in more wind!
This is a strange hobby, you either seem to get addicted or give up after a few tries.
Also gives you a good reason to hide out in the basement or garage all week then disappear on Sunday!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Addiction is definitely what it is and I welcome you tip it. I started flying a year ago. At first thought I was unsure whether I should try rc flight, but when I did, the addiction hit hard. Now I'm always high, of course depending on the size of the plane :P. Good choice for a first plane. I did not learn with a true trainer, but luckily I'm a fast learner. You may learn fast as well, so don't ever be afraid to wean off the SAFE system when you feel it gets too easy. It is a good system, but as others have stated, it can hold you back if you let it
Old 07-04-2014, 02:08 AM   #10
RickSt

Originally Posted by RV Winkle View Post
just wondering about appealing to older flyers comment

Welcome to the madness and let folks know how it is going
By "Older Flyers" I meant those that have been flying for a long time . If I meant age wise I would probably have to included myself .

BTW, I got my Apprentice put together today. I wasn't happy with the double sided tape they give you with the plane. My fingers weren't able to pull the second layer of paper off so I went to Ace Hardware and got Scotch double sided tape to hold the wing guards on . Also instead of using the double sided tape between the two wing halves, I used 15 minute epoxy then added some red electric tape down the top seam to give it a racey look.

I hope to take it on its maiden flight tomorrow morning on a buddy box.

Rick
Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by RickSt View Post
I hope to take it on its maiden flight tomorrow morning on a buddy box.
Good luck, but I'm sure you wont need it.

Honestly the buddy box overkill with the Apprentice. SAFE makes it impossible to get badly out of shape, and if you do get into a flap all you do is release the sticks. But of course if the buddy box gives you an extra sense of security it does no harm.
Just make sure you adjust all the clevises to set the control surfaces dead straight. The Apprentice that the guy took to our field the other week needed a fair bit of adjustment on the clevises because the surfaces were all over the place, he'd not have had such a easy time if he'd have flown it like that.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
RickSt

My plane flew well. We used the buddy box but he set it up so my radio was the master so I used his radio. Why, I'm not sure. It got windy earlier than usual here so we were all done by 0930. There were probably 20 of us at the field this morning.

Rick
Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

We typically set up the student owned TX as master and use some other box as the buddy box so the box that will always be with the airplane will be trimmed correctly and have all functions working correctly. then when you solo there's no changes needed ... we just hand you your box and unplug the buddy cord.

The boxes that get used as buddy boxes are often OLD, retired radios.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
70sflyer

View 70sflyer's Gallery2
Club: Quiet flyers

Welcome newbe Rick,you came to the right site to answer all your electric flying questions,this is the best.I started with the E-flite Talorcraft ,it worked good for me along with a simulator for the to windy days,Have fun.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Welcome Rick,

I'm seeing more and more Appentice's at our field. A lot of raves about it. Fly it like you stole it !

I was in North Florida for Memorial Day weekend with my grandkids and the whole time I was there, there was zero wind. I did not have a plane with me.

Enjoy !

Hawk
Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
RickSt

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Welcome Rick,

I'm seeing more and more Appentice's at our field. A lot of raves about it. Fly it like you stole it !

I was in North Florida for Memorial Day weekend with my grandkids and the whole time I was there, there was zero wind. I did not have a plane with me.

Enjoy !

Hawk
We have wind almost every day but it usually doesn't pick up until about 10 AM. The club I'm hoping to join flies on top of a retired landfill so all they have is a windsock and of course by feel as to how hard it's blowing. It's a great place to learn to fly because you don't have to worry about crashing into trees.

Rick
Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #17
RickSt

Default Crash not by me.

The day started out great. I was on the buddy box and my trainer had me doing figure 8's and it felt really comfortable. Getting ready for the 2nd flight and the trainer was taking it off when all of a sudden it veered right and crashed. Luckily it was only a few feet off the ground. Bad news is I have some repairs to make. The cowling cracked and I've already fixed it. I had epoxied the wings together but the epoxy gave way and the wings separated. Again luckily, it was an even break right at the joint so I was able to peel the old expoxy off leaving a clean smooth surface to re epoxy to. I'll put a strip of red electric tape down the seem so what little bit of foam that did give way on the edges won't show . I'll do that tomorrow because it's raining and the rain is blowing into the garage.

All in all none of the damage will be noticeable once back together and I can still say I've not crashed yet. Back at it next Sunday when I'll start working on take offs and landings and slow flights.

Rick
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sorry to hear about the crash. Sounds similar to the crash the guy who I mentioned previously in this thread had with his Apprentice yesterday. His also rolled right and cartwheeled on take off. Damage was also a busted cowl and spinner plus separated wings, but he broke the wing joiner tube too. Easily fixed though.

I was helping another new flyer when it happened but he told me after the crash that he thinks he inadvertently had it set to advanced mode. On the other hand one of the other flyers at the field was sure that the ailerons were hard right when he tried to take off, so maybe he hadn't let SAFE initialise properly. It's real important with these inertial gyro systems for them to remain absolutely still during the initialisation process. And of course the pre-flight checks are as important as ever that all controls are centred and responding normally.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:43 AM   #19
RickSt

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Sorry to hear about the crash. Sounds similar to the crash the guy who I mentioned previously in this thread had with his Apprentice yesterday. His also rolled right and cartwheeled on take off. Damage was also a busted cowl and spinner plus separated wings, but he broke the wing joiner tube too. Easily fixed though.

I was helping another new flyer when it happened but he told me after the crash that he thinks he inadvertently had it set to advanced mode. On the other hand one of the other flyers at the field was sure that the ailerons were hard right when he tried to take off, so maybe he hadn't let SAFE initialise properly. It's real important with these inertial gyro systems for them to remain absolutely still during the initialisation process. And of course the pre-flight checks are as important as ever that all controls are centred and responding normally.
I think you may be right. It's beginning to look like some of the more seasoned fliers are leery of some of the new technology. Like pilots of old, they prefer to fly by the seat of their pants so to speak. But from a newbies standpoint, I need to take a stand when it comes to preparing my own plane for flight even if it means going against what my instructor thinks needs to be done. It's my money on the flight line.

However, I wouldn't trade my instructor for another. He didn't know me from Adam the first time he told me to come fly his plane. He has made me comfortable at the controls and given me confidence in my new abilities. He has taken me under his wing so to speak and I'm eager to learn.

Rick
Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #20
RickSt

Made my minor repairs this week and it flew beautifully today. My instructor had me practice lining up for landings and actually landing a couple of times. When I didn't feel good about my approach, I aborted and went around. This was probably my most stressful day yet but he said I did great and I'm ready to solo as soon as I officially join the club at the next meeting on the 31st. The next 2 Sundays will be spent practicing what I've been taught.

Rick
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #21
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Solo... and the learning has just begun. Keep learning from the other guys because its expensive making all the mistakes yourself. :p
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #22
domerlee

I read your story and don't have any comment or opinion except welcome to this hobby. ^^
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #23
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I just sold my sons apprentice and it was a great plane to fly. Slows down well and lands easy but dont let that fool you it can handle high winds that would make smaller planes stay grounded . Good choice on your trainer and welcome to the hobby. joe
Old 08-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #24
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Would love to hear how you're doing with your plane! Fixing planes is part of the hobby. You'll actually learn to enjoy it.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #25
mrbeer

Good choice on your trainer and welcome to the hobby

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners