Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
dereckbc

Friends: (3)
Default Any Drive Calculator Guru's

Need some help trying to use the program with ESC's, Batteries, and Motors that are not in the data base.

Also want to find the best prop for a given Battery, ESC and Motor.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Sorry for the slight rant.

I am not a big fan of any programs. Just as you point out there are too many variables. I use the actual equipment ant a watt meter.

Never failed me. Can't say that about the calc programs.

Mike
Old 07-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #3
dereckbc

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
I am not a big fan of any programs. Just as you point out there are too many variables. I use the actual equipment ant a watt meter.
Watt Meter would be great if you had a box full of props, batteries, and controllers laying around to find the best match, but I need to get in the Ball Park First.

Have not found any charts with Electric Motor - Prop selectors as of yet. Easy to find for gas engines.

Got a couple of planes I want to upgrade the motor, ESC, and prop. Since I am a beginner need a crutch to gain experience. My biggest advantage is I am an EE with a fair amount of Motor and Controller experience and a lot of battery experience although not LiPo but the principles are the same, just much smaller scale.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

go to headsup rc they list thrust with different prop & battery combos. for each engine this should get you in the ballpark
Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS
Friends: (0)

Calculators like drive calculator are great but only if they have the information you want or you can enter the information you want. I use MotoCalc and it can help with the planning stage of a power system.

Looking at the manual for drive calculator it shows that you can edit an item. This is what would allow you to enter a motor that is not there, if the vendor supplies the needed info and that info is correct.

You can also get in the ballpark with smaller planes by following their limitations. If it has so much room for battery or can spin a 9 in prop before it hits the ground your system can start at that spot.

Watts per pound is another way to get close. If you know what you have in the plane now and know what you want the process becomes more simple.

I use MotoCalc to find the prop and cell counts for a motor I have. Works well for that. But I double check everything with a meter or better a data collecting ESC.

With the ESC I found that a plane set up for 1500 watts flies at less than 16 amps for most of the flight (cause I am chicken on the sticks). This type of data will let you get the most out of any motor by fine tuning the prop for the batteries that fit in the plane.
I struggle with the overwhelming combinations that are possible when just starting and these are the pathways that have worked for me.

Sorry I can't help you with editing an item in drive calculator but the instructions seem easy to follow.
Good luck

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 07-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #6
dereckbc

Originally Posted by zoltron55 View Post
go to headsup rc they list thrust with different prop & battery combos. for each engine this should get you in the ballpark
Thanks for the info. I am familiar with Heads Up RC and this is kind of the issue I have. On the program are a lot of motors, but not any for suppliers like Heads Up, or even popular ones like E-Flite.

What I am really try to say is how can I build my own motor model on say like a 15 to 25 size motor?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Need some help trying to use the program with ESC's, Batteries, and Motors that are not in the data base.

Also want to find the best prop for a given Battery, ESC and Motor.
Check out www.motocalc.com, free for 30 days, then $39.

Again, this and similar programs are only as accurate as the motor specifications given by the motor mfg. And, some of those specs are not worth the paper they are printed on.

As for me, I use the $$$$ Hacker line of motors, whose motor specs are fairly close to the real world.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems