Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)
Default Bad things happen in threes today.

Should have known better, rare Saturday off and had to decide between HDL's and flying. Whoops, "accidentally" turned the sprinklers on so can't work in the yard, so might as well go flying. Bad decision.

Load up the truck and off to the field I go.
First up Bixler 2. Preflight check good, launch and bad thing number one shows up. Low power. Had enough to climb but not the normal zip. Do a little gliding around, power back up and set up for a landing. All good. Well not all. Pop the hatch to unplug the pack and see I now have a sausage instead of a pack. Great, nearly new pack, and it's toast.

Lets go for number two. SU35 a friend gave me. Been trouble since day one for him. Never flew right. I changed over the electronics to eliminate that. Launched and it flew just fine. Got a feel for it, and decided that was enough. Set up for landing, no gear so you have to plop it down, or risk catching the intakes on the bottom. No problem. Just as it's about to touch down I pull up elevator. Didn't notice the prop had stopped in the vertical position. Instead of a plop, I got a slam. Prop caught and slammed the plane to the ground. Ripped off the motor and mount.

Well let's make it a triple.
My brand new Squall. All brand new rx, fan, motor, esc, servos, and packs. Preflight and boy it's got some thrust. CS 70mm 10 blade, 2100kv motor, and 6S pack.

Launch and it's a cruise missile. Goes up about 25 feet and levels off.
I, for what ever reason, look down at the tx to confirm I'm on low rates.

Did I mention it's fast? Look up and it's a dot in the sky and about to wink out. Instinct, and I cut the throttle and start to bank.Thank the big guy it starts getting bigger in the sky. Loosing some altitude so I pull back on the elevator a little. Okay good it's starting to climb. Uh oh, something isn't right. Stupid instinct forgot to apply throttle. She stalls and snaps into a spin. No control and she goes in.

Well that took all of about 5 seconds. Mark the spot, and start the walk of shame. Get to the spot and see it's on the border of a large pond, surrounded by swamps. Great... Well it's not on this side, and no ripples in the pond so It must of gone in further back on the other side of the pond.

Good half mile or so to get to the other side. I'm drenched in sweat, covered in bugs and what ever else. Start a grid search, working the throttle to hopefully hear something. Tough area, the low grass is waist high, the tall grass is 8 to 10 feet high. Not hearing anything, I finally get to the back side of the pond. I hear something and see movement in the water. But it's on the end of a jetty that goes out to the middle of the pond.

I spy what looks like a game trail going out on it. Take a step and the ground is mushy. Great. Second step and I'm up to my neck in mucky water. Did I mention I had my wallet, key fob, phone, and tx with me?

Yep all of em under water, and of course the phone and tx were on.

Meanwhile I'm thrashing in the water, trying to unstick myself from the muck on the bottom. Hmm, I don't remember seeing those two logs in the water. UH OH< THOSE AREN'T LOGS THOSE ARE GATORS!!! AND THEY ARE COMING TOWARDS ME!!!

Let's just say I learned to walk on water. I didn't stop till I was on the far side of the pond. Looked back and I could see the two gators were right where I had been. And then it dawned on me, said trail was a gator trail, and the frogs I heard croaking weren't frogs.

Well the gators have a new plane to play with and I have what appears some now worthless electronics.

Guess I should have done the HDL's instead.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Ohhh cruuuudddd... Not a good day at all!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

dang!!!!that is a bad day

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Did anybody tell you you had a bad day?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Wow, Now that is a Bad Day Glad you were not Gator Food tomorrow is another day, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Friends: (3)

Your story reminds me of a time when one of flying buddies lost his plane in a swampy area. He was wading through it and looked up and saw a "V" ripple in the water moving towards him. He asked me if we had alligators in N. Calf. I laughed and said of course we do. But we don't... and it turned out to be an otter out for a cruise.

Gosh I didn't realize that some folks really DO have alligators to contend with. Glad you got out of there!

Sorry you had such a bad day!

A pre-flight check is better than a post crash analysis
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptGroovy#p/u
My Blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=239855
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)

Good grief - I suggest the Buddy system next time you go flying. Your day sounded dangerously close to disaster.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Gosh I didn't realize that some folks really DO have alligators to contend with. Glad you got out of there!

Glacier Girl

Sorry you had such a bad day![/QUOTE]

Yep! Some people have to contend with these creatures! When a model
lands or crashes near a Gator it is toast! I guess they think it's a bird? I keep a loaded weapon on hand when my English Pointer is let out to run.
They really love dogs & birds!!!

Really sorry Glacier Girl about your bad day! But glad you didn't get chomped on!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
Good grief - I suggest the Buddy system next time you go flying. Your day sounded dangerously close to disaster.
Agreed:

Last year, we had a senior citizen, well into his 70's go into the underbrush several thousand feet North of our field to retrieve a model. Some of that underbrush is over your head. And, it's got two foot deep swamp water in it.

We had to go looking for him. He was lucky, both the senior citizen and his model were found, both were in poor shape. We've to many younger members willing to retrieve errant models. We warned hit to never do that again.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

We don't have gators up here in the north east, probably the taxes are too high for them.
I've never given a thought to having contend with gators while flying, wow that's scary.

The only encounter I've had with a gator in the wild was once on Interstate 95 coming north from Florida around midnight at the Georgia border, the driver stopped to relieve himself.
There was a "tire gator", which was what we jokingly called truck tire casings was on the edge of the road.
What we thought was only a tire carcass, opened its mouth.
I don't know it's length but it went from the edge of the pavement all the way to the breakdown lane stripe and it was diagonal to the breakdown lane.

Joe moved real fast after that, which is good because I was busy shutting my window, I didn't know if the thing could jump too.

Flying with gators... never want to think about that.

Paul

p.s., Warning the more times I tell this story, the bigger the gator gets.
It really did seem that large at the time.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)
Default Is this still OT?

Paul

I'll make a guess your Gator encounter happened in the spring
or fall. It was probably a little chilly & that Gator was enjoying
the warmth from the asphalt.

Regards
Jimmy
Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery80
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Dang, Brad! Sorry to read about your troubles. At least you are all right with no permanent scars.

Will you have to get a new transmitter?

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sounds awful! Sorry to hear it. And my company here is closing it's doors in a couple of years and moving some of it to Florida, even offering us to interview to move there. I'm convinced. I'm staying here!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

It's not the gators you see, it's the ones you don't that you have to worry about.
I'm guessing me thrashing around in the water was like ringing a dinner bell for them.

Well status report. Key fob survived,ditto the wallet and stuff in it after a day of drying. Tx and phone both got a distilled water bath, blown out with compressed air, and are sitting in front of a fan at the moment.

Ticked about the bird, even more on the tx, I fly all my smaller stuff off of it, so I'm grounded for a bit.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #15
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Just glad you came out unscathed. The rest of the stuff is replaceable! And here I was worried about rattlesnakes and tarantulas! You hear stories of people drowning trying to retrieve their cell phones. ...
Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
mrbeer

Friends: (0)

Not a good day at all!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions