Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422
Friends: (0)
Default DX6i and settings loss

My DX6i just played a nasty game on me. I had a good morning flying on Sunday, finishing up with the Formosa. On Monday my wife told me my radio was beeping. Sure enough low batt alarm was going, must have left it on by mistake after the last flight. Charged it back up fully and brought it and the Formosa today (Tuesday) for some lunchtime flying.

When I plugged in the flight battery, the rudder went full lock to the right and the right aileron went full up. What the %^&$!!!, it didn't do the Sunday! I started looking at the settings: the timer was wrong, the dual rate and expo settings were wrong, the elevator was reversed, and worse, there was a strange rudder-throttle mix in Mix1 and Mix2. I set everything back right and flew without further problem.

In the heat of the moment those mixes didn't register, but on reflection I realized they looked like the throttle - rudder mixes I use on my P-38 to give some differential throttle control. Checking the P-38 settings confirmed this exactly. The D/R & Expo settings, the timer, and the reversed elevator servo, all normal for that plane, were what had shown up on the Formosa.

So it seems that when the radio battery got to a very low charge state, it lost the settings for the model last flown (Formosa) and grabbed settings from the next model in the list (P-38). I wouldn't have expected this, I would think that at worst it would go back to the defaults. At least those mixes caused obviously wrong control deflections that warned me off before I tried to launch. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by rreid7 View Post
My DX6i just played a nasty game on me. I had a good morning flying on Sunday, finishing up with the Formosa. On Monday my wife told me my radio was beeping. Sure enough low batt alarm was going, must have left it on by mistake after the last flight. Charged it back up fully and brought it and the Formosa today (Tuesday) for some lunchtime flying.

When I plugged in the flight battery, the rudder went full lock to the right and the right aileron went full up. What the %^&$!!!, it didn't do the Sunday! I started looking at the settings: the timer was wrong, the dual rate and expo settings were wrong, the elevator was reversed, and worse, there was a strange rudder-throttle mix in Mix1 and Mix2. I set everything back right and flew without further problem.

In the heat of the moment those mixes didn't register, but on reflection I realized they looked like the throttle - rudder mixes I use on my P-38 to give some differential throttle control. Checking the P-38 settings confirmed this exactly. The D/R & Expo settings, the timer, and the reversed elevator servo, all normal for that plane, were what had shown up on the Formosa.

So it seems that when the radio battery got to a very low charge state, it lost the settings for the model last flown (Formosa) and grabbed settings from the next model in the list (P-38). I wouldn't have expected this, I would think that at worst it would go back to the defaults. At least those mixes caused obviously wrong control deflections that warned me off before I tried to launch. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

H'mmm

I'd contact Horizon Hobbies, and talk with their tech department.

I believe those settings would be stored in the DX6i flash memory, and should not be affected by a low battery voltage.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

I agree---call Horizon Tech support.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Agreed. It shouldn't lose settings, even if you pull the battery out of the back.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

"So it seems that when the radio battery got to a very low charge state, it lost the settings for the model last flown (Formosa) and grabbed settings from the next model in the list (P-38). I wouldn't have expected this, I would think that at worst it would go back to the defaults. At least those mixes caused obviously wrong control deflections that warned me off before I tried to launch. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?"

That is, assuming the Formosa settings were correctly SAVED and not just STORED after the initial cycle through the programming.

I've never had a loss of DX6i settings due to low battery discharge, but I have when settings were not SAVED after programming, and discovered it only after cyling through the other models later, after having turned off the TX.

Regardless.....I'd give it another chance....without flying, to try to duplicate the problem........if it repeats, give Horizon a call.

AMA 928214
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
...I've never had a loss of DX6i settings due to low battery discharge, but I have when settings were not SAVED after programming...
How do you save the settings? Never heard that before.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
Karnsy

Friends: (0)

I know my DX6i saves all settings every time you shut it off !
Old 08-29-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
Turner
Super Contributor

That's what I would expect.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Guess I should clairify......there are several settings that must be "activated" or engaged in order for the change to take effect. Turning off the TX does not "save" every setting if not activated. Just cycling through the rates you want is not enough....so, if you've turned the TX off after making changes and turn it back on (without activating various settings), you end up, basically, where you started........sorry for the confusion this may have given some of you.....

AMA 928214
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 AM   #10
Turner
Super Contributor

And so how do you activate the new settings?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 AM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
And so how do you activate the new settings?
I sense a little "chain yanking" here Turner..........

Help me out....some changes will require either Activate or Inhibit, so.... if you've only set the rate or trim (as examples) but forgot to activate/inhibit.....does it save what you were thinking rather than what you actually programmed.......?.........I've made this mistake early on when attempting to "copy" another models settings to a new model. Only to discover the issue after turning the TX on and off after making the changes to check what I had done.

AMA 928214
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Turner
Super Contributor

You are kidding, right?

You make a strong claim and then can't answer a simple question to explain how. I don't equate choosing activate or inhibit with "saving settings" but if that's what you mean then I guess we understand.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions