Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Joe.Lamb

Friends: (0)
Default Little Orange Champ is better with more wings

Like a lot of newcomers to the hobby I kinda worked backwards from the fast, sexy stuff to the humble Hobbyzone Champ. If you don't have one, buy one now.

I can't say anything about the dumpy-looking little orange scrap of foam that hasn't been said before, so I'll just leave it at this: It's brilliant.

But it occurred to me this evening when my kindergarten-age son and 3-year-old daughter were having trouble catching the little Champ out of the air that it might be better as a biplane. My instinct was correct.

About 40 minutes later, I'd come up with what I think is a really good way to have a "convertible" biplane champ without any modifications to the airframe you CAN have your high-concept fanciness without adulterating your beloved little orange foamie.

I'll put it in a sentence, and then the pictures should speak for themselves:

A wire "cradle" is made to slot snugly into the Champ's plastic landing gear slot that holds the lower biplane wing, which is made from the tattered remnants of the last wing (you know you kept it) that locates the wing vertically snuggly against the bottom of the fuselage and "clips" it in forward, providing correct leading-edge alignment.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 8-27-14 at 11.53 PM.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	177073 Works like an Antonov, but I fancy it a bit of a Staggerwing...

Name:	Photo on 8-27-14 at 11.56 PM #3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	177074 Bottom wing with the cradle clipped on. I used two small-diameter aluminum tubes CA'd into the "spare" wings and sandwiched a bit of scrap foam left over from the broken Champ wing as a saddle.

Name:	Photo on 8-27-14 at 11.56 PM #2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	177075 There's the bit of wire that you stuff up into the landing gear slot on the champ. Happily, we don't have to worry about negative-G with this one.

Name:	Photo on 8-27-14 at 11.59 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	177076 This is the wire "saddle" that holds the lower wing on. Eeezy-peezy for anyone who knows their way around a set of needle-nosers. I self-stole this from a stick-and-tissue kit that's been in my closet for years.

Name:	Photo on 8-27-14 at 11.54 PM.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	177077 It looks like this assembled. A fairly neat job, for me.

Name:	Photo on 8-27-14 at 11.56 PM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	177078 And my favorite part: You can take it all off and have your Champ just like it wants to be.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies