Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Support & Suggestions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #51
Spike101

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Actually, now that tobydogs mentioned it, I would definitely go with the nylon spacers. They will add a lot more rigidity to withstand the torque and potentially side load that a rough landing or some knife edge spins/blenders would produce. I also like the blind nuts and sometimes even another nut behind those to really lock things down.
You think the bolts I am using are going to flex? I will look for standoff material to re-enforce the bolts.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #52
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (22)

Hi Spike,
If you still have the motor mounted as shown in the original picture. Grab a hold of it firmly by the X mount and give the mounting bolts a twist. if they easily shift by hand I can tell you the power 110 spinning a large prop will twist them out of shape in a heart beat. the reason the blind nuts work best with standoff mounts is because your squeezing the mounts flush to the firewall and the X mount on your motor. Take note to get the standoffs that are wider than 1/2inch. these plastic tubes come in many thicknesses. 3/4" would be best for such a large motor. the hole down the center to match your bolts and not to large to allow slipping.
the Esc and batteries you have are perfect,you'll get 8+ minutes depending on throttle use.

Dang......I hope you get to maiden this bird and video to share. If i hadn't gotten so hooked on fpv'ing I would have considered replacing the SBach. As far as General hobby goes,we get a great plane and no expectations of buy replacement parts when a whole plane is so cheap. also remember like suggested to go over the whole airframe where possible with thin CA.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #53
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Nylon%2520Spacer?NCNI-5

The larger footprint and outside diameter ads a much greater amount of rigidity. No nuts between the motor and firewall. I would only have the nylon and some washers between the two.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 01-08-2017, 04:47 AM   #54
Spike101

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
Hi Spike,
If you still have the motor mounted as shown in the original picture. Grab a hold of it firmly by the X mount and give the mounting bolts a twist. if they easily shift by hand I can tell you the power 110 spinning a large prop will twist them out of shape in a heart beat. the reason the blind nuts work best with standoff mounts is because your squeezing the mounts flush to the firewall and the X mount on your motor. Take note to get the standoffs that are wider than 1/2inch. these plastic tubes come in many thicknesses. 3/4" would be best for such a large motor. the hole down the center to match your bolts and not to large to allow slipping.
the Esc and batteries you have are perfect,you'll get 8+ minutes depending on throttle use.

Dang......I hope you get to maiden this bird and video to share. If i hadn't gotten so hooked on fpv'ing I would have considered replacing the SBach. As far as General hobby goes,we get a great plane and no expectations of buy replacement parts when a whole plane is so cheap. also remember like suggested to go over the whole airframe where possible with thin CA.
I squeezed the bolts and nothing moved at all. I could pick the plane up with these bolts and shake the plane around and the bolts do not move. Better safe than sorry though, so I will look for the standoffs and the blind nuts as well. Thanks so much for everyone's help, I very much appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #55
Spike101

Well I bought the blind nuts and installed them, as well as the nylon spacers and installed them. (pictures to follow at a later date). Had to hit both Menard's and Home Depot to get enough nylon spacers.

I have a new question: I bought a 18x10 APC prop and the mounting hole needs to be larger to fit the engine shaft. Can I drill it out or do I have to buy and use a reamer? I think it is made of plastic or it could be nylon.

Okay two questions: I need a nose cone spinner, how do I determine the size make and model and material type I should buy.

I am learning a little bit more every time I work on this plane and it is a lot of fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1772.JPG (994.6 KB, 19 views)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Support & Testing > Support & Suggestions