Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #101
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

" I know for fact all the D/R Expos, and trims are done in the RX."

Ok, how do you adjust all this while in flight?

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #102
SkyDaddy

Club: Valdosta R/C Flyers AMA 1348
Friends: (0)

The only thing you adjust in flight are gains. There are two kinds of gains Conventional gain and heading hold gain. This video explains pretty well explains the procedure.

https://youtu.be/Nc_e2E9qy6Y

The D/R , expos, and subtrims are done on the ground with smart device or computer.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #103
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

That's quite the unit, but it won't work with my systems (9303's)

Maybe someday.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #104
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
" I know for fact all the D/R Expos, and trims are done in the RX."

Ok, how do you adjust all this while in flight?
Simple, with the 3 Flight Modes programmed into the RX. Just like doing it in you TX radio, except it is done in RX. You assign one of your 3-position switches on you TX radio for Flight Modes.

There is a down-side or trade-off. In the AR636 it uses one of the 6-channels either Aux or Gear. Easy enough to work around if your plane needs 6-channels to control everything. Just use a 7-channel AR7350 or 9-channel AR9350 receivers.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:24 AM   #105
SkyDaddy

Alright I did side by side tests with my Eflite Stick in moderate windy conditions. The winds were between 10-12mph with gusts to maybe 15. I flew the first part of the day with AR610 rx bare bones gain with 15-30 expos. It had my nerves on edge since this is only the second day flying the Stick. I then switched back to the AR 636 rx and all I can say is wow! I hate to sound all gitty but it is like night and day even just in what we call mode 2. Even better when landing in these conditions is to switch to mode 3. Using half flaperons I was able to land so gently I didn't even wake the baby on board!

I did discover when setting up flaperons (through many hours of frustration this weekend) that in the TX you must leave channel 6 as "Flap" not set to "Aileron" like you would normally do with standard rx/tx flaperon setup.

I have now successfully set up 2 planes with as3x and will never go back. Even if you don't utilize much heading hold gain, the damping characteristics of as3x are worth the extra money IMO. I tried the 636 on my 78" Beaver but have not compared it to flying with standard RX.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #106
SkyDaddy

I spoke to tech support about programming issue with smart device. I have purchased 3 audio jack cables and a USB cable just to get going with my PC. I currently do not have a laptop, the hardrive in the one I had apparently crashed while the IT guy at my wife's work checked it out. Anyway, now the tech informs me that all I need is yet another item that costs more $$$, a Bluetooth dongle to communicate with iPhone 7. Couldn't someone have mentioned that SOMEWHERE in the description/ specs of the AR636 rx?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #107
SkyDaddy

For anyone interested, I have figured out how to make iPhones connect flawlessly using Bluetooth dongle. You have to power up esc (with or without tx on) THEN open up app on iPhone. It works like a charm and connects every time. The best part about using Bluetooth is not having to remove canopy or battery door to make changes in receiver. You can simply land plane, taxi over close to yourself and make changes and fly immediately.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #108
GrandadPete

Club: Felbridge Flyers.
Default A Spektrum Ac636

Guys,
I reality need and explanish
Some-way I have chancing my electric U/G ,someone out the wings does locks down when in from before....properly whist the other aileron and flaps all still ok.
Is there because a there before this setting before as, they doing and does doing not the 3 gyro sets....still I going under.

Greatly Pete.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #109
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by GrandadPete View Post
Guys,
Some-way I have chancing my electric U/G ,someone out the wings does locks down when in from before....properly whist the other aileron and flaps all still ok.
Is there because a there before this setting before as, they doing and does doing not the 3 gyro sets....still I going under.

Greatly Pete.
IK would like to reply, but I cannot understand anything you wrote.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #110
LulaNord

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge in heading hold mode you would use both 'P' and 'I'. 'P' looks after fast corrections to movements, 'I' looks after slower 'drifting' from desired heading. As you mentioned, both P and I would normally be increased in proportion with one another but on most controllers the value of 'P' would be something typically like 133% of 'I' value.

pcb assembly
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #111
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by LulaNord View Post
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge in heading hold mode you would use both 'P' and 'I'. 'P' looks after fast corrections to movements, 'I' looks after slower 'drifting' from desired heading. As you mentioned, both P and I would normally be increased in proportion with one another but on most controllers the value of 'P' would be something typically like 133% of 'I' value.
P & I.......?

What language is that translated from....?

Please explain your heading hold expertise and acronym terminology related to "drift proportion" as if it adds any value to this thread for the Spektrum AR636 - AX3X Receiver...!

Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 AM   #112
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

Guys,

Greatly Pete.
Sort of like Chinglish, only worse....
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #113
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LulaNord View Post
Huh? I can only assume "P" refers to Priority, but have no clue what "I" is. To my knowledge no such thing exist in Spektrum AS3X receivers.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #114
GrandadPete

Club: Felbridge Flyers.

Hi Dereckbc and any one else who tried to read the rubbish I printed the other night.
Unfortunately, cancer in my left brain makes me write stuff which OK.....sometimes it comes from a different planet.....LOL!!!
Many thanks for putting up with me.

Pete
Old 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #115
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Hi Dereckbc and any one else who tried to read the rubbish I printed the other night.
Unfortunately, cancer in my left brain makes me write stuff which OK.....sometimes it comes from a different planet.....LOL!!!
Many thanks for putting up with me.

Pete
Sounds like very good drugs to me. My brother moved to Colorado a few years ago to self medicate himself. Has not been sober for 1 minute since he moved. He did find a job and many people do biz with him. He sells beer and joints at Red Rock theater at all the concert events. Easy to spot as he wears a Top Hot everyone can see.

Seriously I hope you get well and a clear head again. This hobby like ham radio is dying off with us old fossils. We need to bring and teach youth to take interest and that require technology today. Technology requires a clear head. Good Luck and you are in my prayers.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #116
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

I feel for you GrandadPete.
I just got a clearance on my biopsy. So thankful.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #117
Doug 14

hey , just picked up this plane and installed my ar636 that came out of my sukhoi 29mm (older gen)
I bought it after fly drones and a super cub with plenty of confidence but little knowledge, I watch the flitetest video and it looked like a decent plane and easy to fly ( sukhoi 29 )
flew a few flights without too many issues binded to my dx6i, but then crashed while inverted , destroying the plane . then I went back to drones and didn't fly planes until this summer. got this Trojan in a trade bnib pnp, I figured I had the ar636 I pulled from sukhoi so use it .
bound to my dx7s and spent several hrs trying to figure out flight modes and set up, read forums. watched videos . nothing has really answered my questions , so I joined this group because it seems to have the most knowledgeable people .
a lot of what I've read is way over my head and seems geared towards newer radios and newest generation equipment .
now for my basic questions
1 . Is my older ar636 out of my sukhoi even suited for this plane?( I watched a vid someone saying it wasnt)
2. is my older dx7s suited for this rx and plane ?
3. after binding (bind plug left if ,assuming that's safe mode active ) my gear switch and flap switch (1,2) only give me any changes . gear 0 flap 1 is low rates safe I assume but virtually no elevator, gear 1 flap 2 gives my full rates but also active gyro adjustments .
4. is there more to setting up this combo I'm not doing right ? having virtually no elevator seems wrong to me .
I took it for 1st flight tonight in calm conditions plane behaved really strange , crashed hard several times in full rate mode so i switched to gear 0 flap 1 with almost no elevator or alie but rudder was good, flew just like my super cub but faster . I ran a full pack flawless and even a perfect landing even though both my rear landing gear were held on with elastic bands.lol
while in high rate mode it seemed like everything was wrong . spiraled down and crashed even while I was trying to correct with full elevator. made no sense and I almost gave up , once I tried safe mode I flew perfect and I'm glad I didn't give up .
is there something I can do to gain confidence with higher rates?
should I install my ar 600 instead ?
I know it's a big post and I hope it makes sense , thanks in advance for any Imput you might have.
all of this rate/ heading gain stuff is all new to me and I don't think it even applies with my older radio
Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #118
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Doug 14 View Post
hey , just picked up this plane and installed my ar636 that came out of my sukhoi 29mm (older gen)
I bought it after fly drones and a super cub with plenty of confidence but little knowledge, I watch the flitetest video and it looked like a decent plane and easy to fly ( sukhoi 29 )
flew a few flights without too many issues binded to my dx6i, but then crashed while inverted , destroying the plane . then I went back to drones and didn't fly planes until this summer. got this Trojan in a trade bnib pnp, I figured I had the ar636 I pulled from sukhoi so use it .
bound to my dx7s and spent several hrs trying to figure out flight modes and set up, read forums. watched videos . nothing has really answered my questions , so I joined this group because it seems to have the most knowledgeable people .
a lot of what I've read is way over my head and seems geared towards newer radios and newest generation equipment .
now for my basic questions
1 . Is my older ar636 out of my sukhoi even suited for this plane?( I watched a vid someone saying it wasnt)
2. is my older dx7s suited for this rx and plane ?
3. after binding (bind plug left if ,assuming that's safe mode active ) my gear switch and flap switch (1,2) only give me any changes . gear 0 flap 1 is low rates safe I assume but virtually no elevator, gear 1 flap 2 gives my full rates but also active gyro adjustments .
4. is there more to setting up this combo I'm not doing right ? having virtually no elevator seems wrong to me .
I took it for 1st flight tonight in calm conditions plane behaved really strange , crashed hard several times in full rate mode so i switched to gear 0 flap 1 with almost no elevator or alie but rudder was good, flew just like my super cub but faster . I ran a full pack flawless and even a perfect landing even though both my rear landing gear were held on with elastic bands.lol
while in high rate mode it seemed like everything was wrong . spiraled down and crashed even while I was trying to correct with full elevator. made no sense and I almost gave up , once I tried safe mode I flew perfect and I'm glad I didn't give up .
is there something I can do to gain confidence with higher rates?
should I install my ar 600 instead ?
I know it's a big post and I hope it makes sense , thanks in advance for any Imput you might have.
all of this rate/ heading gain stuff is all new to me and I don't think it even applies with my older radio
I would read this link and decide for yourself......:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...ifferent-plane

I've known a few very experienced pilots who have swapped the AR 636 onto other sport planes.....They too have experienced similar results as stated in the link provided......unless one is very experienced in TX programming and also possesses a late model Spektrum TX, chances are the AR 636 will be more of a headache than one may care to deal with.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #119
Doug 14

thanks I will read it now

that was interesting , I think I might try my ar600 and see how it flys, thanks again
Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #120
Doug 14

I was hoping there was a way to reset the ar636 to a default . but if the ar600 is a basic rx that will make the plane predicabl and stable I will yank the 636 and sell it . I'm a decent pilot but felt like a noob tonight after loosing /having no control . poor plane took a beating
Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #121
Doug 14

I couldn't wait till tomorrow , just hooked up the 600, so straight forward, set my rates at 60 and expo 30 and 100 /0
no safe or stability but I think I can handle it .
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #122
SkyDaddy

I'm assuming you meant a high rate of 100 dual rate with zero expo? Wow hold on to your seat! I know people who use that same approach but I, and many others, use a higher expo the high you go up on dual rates. It softens the center of the Stick while still giving you max throws. I use 15-20 expo on low rates and 50-80 expo on high rate.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #123
Doug 14

success! flew perfect . dead calm winds
I knew it wasn't me . take off and landing where a lot easier then I expected with no assistance , I got last/over confident with my super cub so was a little nervous but it was smooth and predictable,I use to think safe or any gyro assistance was helpful but now I see it's better not having something fighting against me and makes you learn smooth stick control , thanks for the help !
Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #124
Doug 14

Originally Posted by SkyDaddy View Post
I'm assuming you meant a high rate of 100 dual rate with zero expo? Wow hold on to your seat! I know people who use that same approach but I, and many others, use a higher expo the high you go up on dual rates. It softens the center of the Stick while still giving you max throws. I use 15-20 expo on low rates and 50-80 expo on high rate.
good advice , I actually used the numbers (60r /30e) because I saw someone in a thread mention it , it does come down to preference I'm sure , I still wasn't happy with 60r on elevator do I went 100 /0 almost right away , it's touchy but I balanced it out , I will try some different numbers now I know I can control it and it operates correctly, I was pretty happy with the way it flew but I'm sure after a few more flight I will be able to fine tune it, now it's time for the P47 thunderbolt
I wanted to be sure I was comfortable before purchase and I think I've learned enough from reading threads in this group I will get any help I need , thanks again
Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #125
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Doug 14 View Post
success! flew perfect . dead calm winds
I knew it wasn't me . take off and landing where a lot easier then I expected with no assistance , I got last/over confident with my super cub so was a little nervous but it was smooth and predictable,I use to think safe or any gyro assistance was helpful but now I see it's better not having something fighting against me and makes you learn smooth stick control , thanks for the help !
Glad you got it sorted out........

I too initially thought "SAFE with gyro" assistance would be helpful with higher end sport models. A buddy of mine and I owned a Carbon Z T-28 30m that came with the AR 636a. We are both experienced pilots who have many hours flying acrobatic type craft........After a dozen or so flights with the stability assistance, we both came to realize that our "old school" flight skill levels and intuition "fought" the assistance more than it helped. So we swapped the RX out to a standard 600 type and enjoyed the plane much more.

The other aspect, as you eluded to, was our past knowledge of the TX's (DX8) rate controls we've been using on everything we fly.......having to dial in the 636 stability settings through the PC programming wasted a lot of our flight time unnecessarily.......that RX has a purpose, but for experienced pilots like us, it's really a tool best suited for guys who haven't all ready developed instincts that rely on feel and hours of standard advanced "old school" flight management skills......IMHO.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions