Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Vic Z

Club: Mt Rainier RC Club
Friends: (1)
Default RC injury

Looking a little slow around here again so I guess I should start something fun.
I suffered my first RC injury the other day on my Extreme Flight Edge build.
I was applying the graphics, and in my attempt to get my eyes at the right level so that I could get them straight I had to squat half way down into an unsupported sitting position. I was trying to be very careful to get them just right so I spent a few minutes in the assumed position. 2 days later I could barely get up the stairs as my quads were so sore. When and how did I get so old?
Sorry that there are no blood or guts to show. I try really hard to avoid that stuff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170413_183148.jpg (4.72 MB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 20170413_183135.jpg (4.72 MB, 221 views)

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 04-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

It's hell getting old. Lol
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Tell me about it !!

But actual RC injury and this happened some years ago to a pal of mine Paul.

It was in the early days of the WOT4 ... everyone was getting one ... and Paul after flying my piped 60 version had to have one.
He fitted the usual Irvine 40 straight job to it and arrived at the field to have it flown.
As I was the one in the club who had a WOT4 longest - he asked if I would give it the maiden.

Paul fired up the 40 glow and we tested throttle .. controls etc. Being a rough farm field - it was hand launch.

So there's Paul with WOT4 held level and ready to launch .. he tells me he's ready and I give it some throttle .. but before Paul launches - for some reason that he could never explain he moved one hand to front of model into prop.... I chopped throttle and we grabbed hold of Paul ... wrapped rags round his hand and one of the guys drove him to hospital.

We all checked on Paul who went home that day ... and he was very lucky that the GFN prop hadn't destroyed his fingers or use of. (Note Electrics keep trying to turn ... glow stalls and stops).
But later Paul complained of stiffness in his index finger. We all assumed it was post accident problem and that it would sort over time ... Paul visited hospital a number of times about it ... but they couldn't find why.

A couple of months later .. Paul came to the field with a bandage on his index finger ... and a smile on his face ... We all assumed hospital had finally found what it was and fixed it.

NO !! Paul put hand in pocket and took out a small piece of the prop ... turned out that the prop had left a small piece under the skin and close to the joint - preventing movement. One day - Paul just noticed it starting to exit the skin .. hospital extracted it and finger was fine again.

Turns out that x-ray etc. couldn't see the fragment.

Similar incident for me but not RC. I was riding a Scout trailer at a Scout camp, holding onto the timber bar at front ... trailer hit a bump in the field and I got a splinter in my palm near the base of the thumb.
We removed the splinter so we thought.
Some months later literally overnight - a lump the size of a small nut had developed there. Boy did it hurt !

Went to doctor who sent me to hospital ... x-rayed but nothing seen. So they decided to operate to see what was causing it.
Because the area was on top of the nerves and tendons to my thumb ... they knocked me out fully for it.
When I came round from the op ... the doctor showed me the sliver that had been in there. He reckoned the amount of puss and fluid was amazing and reason for such pain.

I still have a 'groove' in the palm where that was.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

View crxmanpat's Gallery20
Club: Arizona Model Aviators, Gilbert Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

At out club Fun Fly this past Saturday, a guy was hand-launching a wing for another guy. The prop got him on top of the hand. Sent him to the ER for 7 stitches.

Pat Gagnon
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I know how you feel, Vic. It's hell getting old but it does beat the alternative.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
At out club Fun Fly this past Saturday, a guy was hand-launching a wing for another guy. The prop got him on top of the hand. Sent him to the ER for 7 stitches.

This, and this reason alone, is why I only own tractor prop planes.

I've had a plywood sliver, the size of a standard toothpick in my hand that I had to argue with the idiot Urgent Care doctor about. He flat didn't want to believe me and the x-rays wouldn't show the light pine. (plus they were having a work party and everyone was wearing Hawaiian leis)

If you stick your thumb straight up and look directly down your thumb, the sliver drove in between the thumb and the index knuckle. Darn right I could feel it. Went to an orthopedic surgeon and he had me immediately check into the hospital for surgery. Yeah, it was a big one.

Weeks later the Urgent Care clinic called to survey me on my experience with them. The caller hung up on me relatively quickly.

At least the Plane looks amazing Vic.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 04-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Vic Z

Thanks BirdDog.
Extreme flight seems to be really nice quality. First ARF and really straight forward and simple to build.
My only complaint would be the decals. Couldn't get them on without air bubbles. Maybe on the next one
Hoping the Pacific Northwest weather will give me a break so that I can get it in the air. Not risking anything on this one. I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed in the way that it flies.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 AM   #8
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Cut as close to the detail as possible. Always round corners. NEVER touch the sticky, just start seperating it with a knife and keep a tiny bit of sticky stuck to the knife. Peel about 25% of the decal back, long ways, from the backing. Bend the backing so you can position the 25% exposed sticky to the target. Start smoothing down from one side using a zig zag pattern, perpendicular to the length of the decal. Continue down the length slowly pulling the backing away. I normally only have about 15-25% of the long decals exposed at any time while applying. The small ones just get a blade stuck under them to seperate backing and stay on the blade until in position. Sometimes static can suck them down prematurely. Hope this helps.

You can still pierce some of the larger bubbles with a new hobby knife.

It's going to be your favorite plane.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 04-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
Vic Z

I was in the auto sales for 16 years before switching over to RVs. I was the master of the vinyl windshield stickers. Could always get them on straight, bubble free, and fast. Pretty close to the process that you described. Expose the end, line it up on the backing, set the exposed section, and pull the backing out from under it as you go. The plastic (cheap) decal just didn't lay out for me as easily. Plus I couldn't give the hard pressure to push the air out along the way. That's ok. It wasn't built to look at (although it is really an attractive plane).
I can tie a balloon with unbelievable skill as well. If I ever get tired of sales I am sure that I can get a job with the circus. Probably a better fit anyway

Old 04-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

I have had good luck by taking a brand new #11 blade, and pushing down on one end of a bubble then piercing the bubble at the far edge. try not to go through the covering. Most of the time you can get them to lie pretty flat.

I think by the time we get into our 60's we have all had several accidents that would make a good story. The funniest one I have had follows.

I was 25, just got a new job in a large multi department store. Everything from food to motor oil. I worked in the Home Improvement Center. We were a fairly complete hardware and lumber store. The store was 2 weeks before opening.

Anyway, they asked me to put a dark stain on a sheet of home sideing called Texture 111. You paint it on then rub the excess off with a rag. The rag suddenly caught on the rough textured plywood, my hand slipped and I drove a splinter under the thumb nail clear up to the skin. The pain ws unreal.

We didn't have any tweezers in our section so I had to go to the cosmetics department. Of course I had no idea where they might be so I was walking around looking. I must have seemed out of place because I heard a girl say " Can I help you?" I turned to see the most beautiful girl in the store.

I told her I needed a tweezer to get a sliver out. She got the tweezers and then took my hand and laid it between her (I think you can guess) to hold it steady. (I guess) She had a low cut sweater. Then she said "There I got it all out"
I honestly never felt the sliver get pulled out. She was the best looking anesthesia I ever saw.
I told her to hang on to the tweezers and I would go back and get another sliver. She just smiled at me.

I am not trying to pull your leg. I swear this is a true story

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 AM   #11
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Are you sure it wasn't a dream Dave??

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 04-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Decals .... auto guys have been using this trick for decades ....

Mix up a batch of washing up liquid and water .... either apply to surface or dip decal in it after removing backing. Place on surface and slide decal to position. Now squeeze out the mix by pressing down and smoothing out ...

The washing up liquid allows the adhesive to slide without destroying it. Takes a while for it to all dry out - but that's how they get the decal lines and stuff correct on cars when doing repairs.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

When I was young boy ... it was Saturday evening and parents were out ....

We had large house and grounds with three garages. It was normal to go out late and check all was secure. The torch had been left and the dry-cells stuck in the holder. So while watching a movie - I was digging the cells out. Something happened in the movie to make me look up and knife slipped - slicing across top of my left index finger.

I rushed into kitchen ... flushed the wound which blood was just coming all the time ... I grabbed a rag and bound it as best I could ..

I then called my father who came home and took me to hospital. They tried the fizzy water to clean out the cut ... because there was black gunge from the battery in there. It only partly came out. Couple of stitches and back home.

Over 50 yrs later - I can still see a feint black line in that finger .....

Nigel

Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Thanks BirdDog.
Extreme flight seems to be really nice quality. First ARF and really straight forward and simple to build.
My only complaint would be the decals. Couldn't get them on without air bubbles. Maybe on the next one
Hoping the Pacific Northwest weather will give me a break so that I can get it in the air. Not risking anything on this one. I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed in the way that it flies.

I used to cut and fit vinyl signage and very large and small decals.
I used soapy water on the surface. You can take your time positioning them and then wipe over gently with a soft dry cloth.
The soap does not stop the decal from sticking as some think.
It works perfectly on models and you won't have air bubbles or the need to pin prick them.

Nigel. I had a blue Biro ball point pen ink under the skin in one hand for decades..... wonder how that happened...
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #15
Panther

View Panther's Gallery7

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I have had good luck by taking a brand new #11 blade, and pushing down on one end of a bubble then piercing the bubble at the far edge. try not to go through the covering. Most of the time you can get them to lie pretty flat.

I think by the time we get into our 60's we have all had several accidents that would make a good story. The funniest one I have had follows.

I was 25, just got a new job in a large multi department store. Everything from food to motor oil. I worked in the Home Improvement Center. We were a fairly complete hardware and lumber store. The store was 2 weeks before opening.

Anyway, they asked me to put a dark stain on a sheet of home sideing called Texture 111. You paint it on then rub the excess off with a rag. The rag suddenly caught on the rough textured plywood, my hand slipped and I drove a splinter under the thumb nail clear up to the skin. The pain ws unreal.

We didn't have any tweezers in our section so I had to go to the cosmetics department. Of course I had no idea where they might be so I was walking around looking. I must have seemed out of place because I heard a girl say " Can I help you?" I turned to see the most beautiful girl in the store.

I told her I needed a tweezer to get a sliver out. She got the tweezers and then took my hand and laid it between her (I think you can guess) to hold it steady. (I guess) She had a low cut sweater. Then she said "There I got it all out"
I honestly never felt the sliver get pulled out. She was the best looking anesthesia I ever saw.
I told her to hang on to the tweezers and I would go back and get another sliver. She just smiled at me.

I am not trying to pull your leg. I swear this is a true story

I was waiting for you to say you married her....
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #16
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Are you sure it wasn't a dream Dave??
She was a dream, but I wasn't sleeping, ------------- or maybe I was, I never dug up the courage to ask her out.

She actually was a representitive for one of the big famous cosmetic companies, you can guess the kind of face they look for.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I used to ckub race cars and I did electrics work for local service in return for use of their ramps etc. Had to fix a car one day that was owned by a young lady who was a beautician / hairdresser .....
I knew she had asked about my race car I also drove on the road .... so after fixing her car - parked it next to mine !

She became my wife not long after ! Car became the fastest shopping car in town !

Nigel

Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #18
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Now that's an injury !
Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

View Leadchucker's Gallery9
Club: Sussex Aeromodelers Club
Awards Showcase

60 Minute Thermal Duration  45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 
Friends: (2)

Prop strike on tee shirt with near miss flubectomy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0701.JPG (326.9 KB, 117 views)

AMA 7224 -- League of Silent Flight 1832-- Eastern Soaring League
National Free Flight Society-- Society of Antique Modelers
NRA Life member

Old 04-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Now that's an injury !
20yrs marriage to a beautiful lass .. gave me two Sons that I am extremely proud of ...

Problem was me ! Working away so much ... I came to feel an outsider in house I was paying for.

Now married to younger Russian lass and I work from home ... but with various assignments in some interesting places .........

Me talking to my personal bodyguard ... location "withheld" ..

Nigel

Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes its a modified Chinese AK47 ........... and fully loaded ready for action.

Guy rides in my car in front seat ... with safety OFF !!

Nigel

Old 04-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
20yrs marriage to a beautiful lass .. gave me two Sons that I am extremely proud of ...

Problem was me ! Working away so much ... I came to feel an outsider in house I was paying for.

Now married to younger Russian lass and I work from home ... but with various assignments in some interesting places .........

Me talking to my personal bodyguard ... location "withheld" ..

Nigel
How is this anywhere or remotely relevant to the "RC Injury" topic.....?

And we wonder why post count and corresponding contributions are down at this forum.......another typical example of a member here (the same old one) posting another irrelevant "gloating" posture from days past.....lol

"Personal body guard"...lol...holding an old relic rifle......not even armed (personal carry ,concealed or otherwise) with a standard issue handgun, like 99.99% of the "body guards" around the world are required to maintain..........looks more like a third world armed forces escort guard, greeting a visitor, ready for transport to a secured facility.

But pardon me please.....Just an observation.......and contribution......to the WattFlyer "life support" rhetoric........lol
Old 04-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Now that's an injury !
For some such as "pizzano" .... they fail to see the connection ....

'Pizzano' ... please follow the 'trend' of the thread please.

Nigel

Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #24
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

LOL........ohhhhh, I'm more than sure that anyone here, who has cared to chime in on the original subject matter, will/would find any relevance to the subject your photo depicts......unless, of course, you are suggesting that the armed forces escort (relic AK47 in hand) you are pointing to, somehow had or could inflict some kind of "RC injury".......lol

Nigel, you never cease to amaze and enlighten us with so many glorious adventures and tales of wonder........thank you for the stimulating contributions. It certainly helps with WattFlyer visitor viewing count...!
Old 04-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I thought it was very interesting and connected with the preceding posts.

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions