Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Friends: (0)
Default Sneak Peek at the NEW Revolectrix BUMP Controller

INTRODUCTION:

Welcome to the new thread dedicated entirely to an open discussion about the new Revolectrix BUMP Controller. Not only is this thread about an exciting new product, it represents a new concept for battery maintenance. For those readers who may not be familiar with Revolectrix, Revolectrix is a brand that represents a partnership between the U.S.-company FMA, Inc. (also known as FMA Direct) and Leo Energy, LLC of Singapore. FMA, Inc. has a long track record of designing cutting-edge products for the worldwide R/C hobby market. Since 2007, our partnership with Leo Energy has enabled us to focus on what we do best; engineer innovative products, while Leo’s main focus has been to oversee manufacturing in Indonesia. Our products, branded Revolectrix, are offered for sale and supported worldwide to R/C hobby dealers as well as to direct retail consumers via two webstores; the “REVO Singapore” webstore and the “REVO USA” webstore. Leo Energy maintains the REVO Singapore store; shipping globally from Indonesia. FMA, Inc. maintains the REVO USA store; shipping products to North and South America from Maryland. Unlike many of our competitors, who leave testing to their unsuspecting customer base, FMA, Inc. has a long-standing tradition of thoroughly and diligently beta testing our new designs using teams composed of carefully-selected, qualified candidates, to ensure they work as advertised when they hit the streets. Collectively, the group chosen to beta test the new BUMP Controller represents decades of modeling experience and employment within the field of electronic instruments and testing. This unique thread is being started, and is fully-sanctioned and supported by FMA, Inc., but it will be monitored by the beta team. You are invited to ask technical questions or inquire about available features to your heart’s content. Answers will be supplied by team members who now have logged cumulatively, thousands of happy hours with the prototypes each has received. Over the past several months, their inputs have helped shape the user interface and feature-set of the BUMP Controller. From time-to-time, members of the engineering team, including myself, may step in to offer assistance in this regard; however, for the most part, this is their thread. ENJOY!

Meet the Beta Team:
Ed Johnson
Shannon Turner
John Romann
Tony Clement
Greg Campbell
Chris Spohr
Dale Hagan
Jack Doherty
Glen Crandall

But before you start asking questions, take a quick look at the current specifications and the feature set of this ground-breaking new battery management system:

OVERVIEW:

WHAT IS “BUMP” ?

BUMP is an exclusive new Revolectrix concept for Battery Management. The BUMP Controller utilizes Near Field Communication (NFC) Technology to communicate with any battery equipped with a BUMP Compliant Tag, or “BumpTag”. The BumpTags will be pre-installed and pre-configured on most Revolectrix batteries in the near future. BumpTags will also be available for sale separately, so a customer can configure them for use with any battery of his choosing using the BUMP Controller. Once a tag is programmed for any given battery, a simple “BUMP” of the battery on the BUMP Controller configures any Revolectrix PowerLab Battery Workstation to the ideal settings for performing all battery management tasks. The BUMP Controller can independently address up to 4 PowerLab units (or channels of the Dual PowerLab 8) – each PowerLab connected is able to operate completely independent of the others.

MAJOR FEATURES:

• Simple, intuitive color touchscreen user interface
• Complete charger setup with a simple "bump" of the battery ... just bump, connect, and press Start
• No need to configure or select presets although native PowerLab operation is still possible for non-BumpTag equipped batteries
• Optimizes charger settings for each individual battery, speeds up the charging setup process
• Reduces accidental mistakes that could lead to expensive (and potentially dangerous) battery damage
• Automatic calculation for parallel charging, even for different battery capacities and C-ratings
• Each BumpTag contains the full factory ratings of the battery (write-once), as well as user preferences and settings that can be changed at any time
• Each BumpTag contains a unique ID which enables automatic battery history and performance tracking – battery cycle history is automatically cached and uploaded to the mobile app whenever it connects via Bluetooth
• Works with all existing Revolectrix Cellpro PowerLab 6, PowerLab 8v2, and Dual PowerLab (8x2) Battery Workstations
• Connect up to 4 PowerLab Workstations to a single BumpController (any combination of PL models)
• Supported Chemistries: LiPo (including LiHV), LiFe, Li-Ion, NiMH, NiCd, and Pb
• Supported Operations: Accurate Charge, Normal Charge, Fastest Charge, Discharge, Storage Charge, Analyze Cycle
• Analyze Cycle allows battery performance characteristics (Fuel Table, actual capacity, IR, etc.) to be stored back to the BumpTag for accurate fuel level and cycle time estimates
• The Bump Controller can serve as a remotely-mounted user interface for the PowerLab Battery Workstations, allowing the chargers to be completely hidden inside a charging case or beneath charging tables/benches. This frees up valuable workspace for batteries, connectors, adapters, parallel adapters, etc.

HARDWARE CAPABILITIES:

• High-brightness, 2.8" QVGA TFT LCD with resistive touchscreen
• Integrated BUMP wireless interface for configuring and reading BumpTags on batteries
• Integrated Bluetooth 4.0/LE support for wireless real-time monitoring, control, and firmware upgrades (Android, Apple iOS, and Windows mobile devices)
• Integrated USB port for direct connection to Windows PC for firmware updates, as well as powering/charging mobile devices
• Four (4) 3-wire serial interfaces for connection to PowerLab Workstations (uses standard male-to-male servo connectors/extensions)
• Powerful 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 main processor, plus dedicated co-processors for Bluetooth and NFC
• Wide (10v-52v) input voltage range matches PowerLab Workstations for simple power setup (use standard EC-5 Y-cables to power the Bump Controller and PowerLabs simultaneously)

ROADMAP SOFTWARE FEATURES:

• 4Q 2015 : Windows USB Firmware Update Utility
• 1Q 2016 : Android Charge Control Software (CCS) Client initial release – monitoring, control and firmware updates (Bluetooth LE)
• 1Q 2016 : Bump Controller support for native PowerLab presets (in addition to “BUMP” setup)
• 2Q 2016 : Android CCS Client – battery history, graphing, reporting
• 2Q 2016 : Bump Controller support for native PowerLab options and settings
• 3Q 2016 : Apple iOS Client software initial release (Bluetooth LE)
• 4Q 2016 : Windows Mobile CCS Client (Bluetooth LE)

ESTIMATED INITIAL AVAILABILITY:
4TH Quarter, 2015

DIMENSIONS: 5.3” L x 3.1” W x 1.2” H (including bezel above/around LCD)
Please note: all specifications and features listed above subject to change prior to delivery.

Retail price for the basic unit currently $149.95 on the REVO USA webstore and $144.95 on the REVO Singapore webstore

Tim Marks
President
FMA, Inc.
Revolectrix Partner

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BumpControllerRendered.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	181942  
Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
JC 3D

Hello Everyone,

Chris Spohr checking in...

I'm a long time RC'er but new to Wattflyer. I figured it was time o stop reading and start posting...

To the FMA team:

Thank you Tim, Jamie and Kelly at FMA for selecting me as a beta tester. And a big shout out goes to my fellow beta testers. I'm honored to be associated with such a fine group.

To soon-to-be BUMP controller owners:

Tim mentioned that the beta team consists of carefully-selected and qualified candidates but he didn't tell you this... all of the beta testers made a long term commitment to testing. That means we're not disappearing once the product launches. We'll still be working in the background testing the new features and functionality before they are released to you.

And now a few words about the BUMP Controller:

"Revolutionary" "Industry-changing" and "Wow" are the words that first came out of my mouth when I received my beta unit. Those words were followed by one the biggest smiles you will ever see. Quite simply, the BUMP controller is an amazing advancement in battery management. It is a game changer in my opinion.

When I bought my first PowerLab charger a few years ago, it was a huge leap forward for my personal charging needs. I didn't think I would need or desire anything more given the PowerLab feature set and capabilities (charge control software, presets, high charge rates and best balance circuit). The PowerLab charger was a game changer in terms of my personal charging needs. Life was good - very good. How could it possibly get better?

I am sure you already know the answer and you're correct... along comes the BUMP controller and BUMP tags.

BUMP controller + PowerLab Charger = Battery Management Bliss

If you have a Revo battery with a factory installed BUMP tag, simply BUMP the battery on the BUMP controller and the charge settings are done in about 2 seconds. Connect the battery to the charger and hit start on the BUMP controller. It's that fast and easy.

But what about the 50+ batteries I already own that do not have BUMP tags? Well the solution to that is nearly as fast and easy. Peel off a new BUMP tag and stick it on your battery. Then BUMP the battery on the BUMP controller and enter the batteries charge parameters. When prompted, BUMP the battery again to save the settings to the BUMP tag on that battery. Got more of the same battery? No need to re-enter the settings, just keep BUMPing new batteries until all of them are programmed. It only takes a few seconds per additional battery.

What about the user interface - is it easy to use?

In a single word, yes. That's the whole premise of the BUMP controller - to make battery management simple and easy. The BUMP controller has a very intuitive touch screen for setting up/displaying battery data and charger operations. When I received my beta unit, it was easy for me to just start using it by following the screen prompts and visual clues. There was no instruction sheet with the unit nor was one needed. My initial exposure to it left a very good first impression of usability. But was it good enough for prime time?

Not for this group of beta testers. They have turned Gold into Platinum. You can reasonably expect that same level of testing and tweaking from the beta team as the BUMP controller's road map features are rolled out.

That's all I've got say for the moment, so what say you?

Let the conversation begin...

Best,

Chris
Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
JC 3D

Default Easy as 1-2-3

How easy is the BUMP controller to operate?

It's a simple and fast 3 step process to charge a battery... "Bump - Connect - Go"

Watch the video demonstrating it > Bump-Connect-Go

Chris
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
eddiscus

Quick Video of bump tag programming.

https://vimeo.com/151969748
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
eddiscus

While you guys are waiting for your "Bump Controllers" to arrive. Here are the group of videos I put together. I apologize ahead of time as they were assembled rather quickly but they do cover the "Bump Controllers" Features.

This was the last video I put together and covers the screens and functionality of the "Bump Controller" after bumping a battery.

After The Bump
https://vimeo.com/152772710

The following are videos of "Bump Tag Programming" and "Bump Controller options" before bumping a tag.

Bump Tag Setup (Short Version)
https://vimeo.com/151969748

Bump Tag Setup Long Version
https://vimeo.com/152367760

Before the Bump
https://vimeo.com/152775639
Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Jamie Marks

Wanted to give you guys a heads up that BC shipments are delayed because of weather. We got hit with almost 3 feet of snow in our area that has shut everything down including the U.S. Postal service. We did get most pre-orders fulfilled at REVO USA in our system which generates a tracking number. However many orders have not been picked up by the postal service. If you received a tracking number and the USPS website indicates there is no information available for your package, this is the reason. We do anticipate that by tomorrow (Wednesday) things will get cleared out enough to either get to the PO or to have the normal postal pickup resume. Sorry for the delay, but it shouldn’t be more than a day or two. As previously stated, we do have additional stock expected this week to complete filling the more recent pre-orders as well as some new orders.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:23 AM   #7
eddiscus

Preview of the Bump Control App.

https://vimeo.com/157517770

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct