Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

Club: None :*(
Send a message via AIM to Firestem4 Send a message via MSN to Firestem4 Send a message via Yahoo to Firestem4
Friends: (12)
Default Spektrum DX6 Replacement battery

My DX6 has a stock battery that I left untouched for about 4 years so it is not holding a charge too well. I've tried searching google and have come up with squat, and all of the links to previous threads on this forum are invalid.

Can anyone recommend a replacement battery I can purchase that will fit in my DX6 battery compartment? I'm not opposed to doing minor modifications if I have to (connectors/etc). I am aware some people are swapping the NICD for Lipos, which would be nice since I just bought myself a nice new Lipo charger. But how would I be able to plug in the battery to the to the Radio and the pull it out to charge when I need to? (I use Anderson PP's for my battery connectors which are a tad large to fit in that compartment I think).

"Stay away from trees! Seriously-avoid them like an IRS audit." - Gzsfrk
Hangar: Slow Stick, GreatPlanes F-86 MicroEDF
Helipad: WL Toys v911
Boneyard: 3D Foamie (toolkit crushed it!)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I don't like using LiPo batteries as the top end voltage is rough on the voltage regulator built into the transmitter. Using them voids your warranty (not that yours is under warranty) but it shows that Spektrum does not recommend them either.

What I like is LiFe batteries. They are lower voltage so a 3s pack will output ~9.9v perfect for a transmitter from 8 NiCad cells.

Does your new charger support LiFe charging? If so that is a great option IMHO.

Here is a pack that will fit.

http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-5c-...h-3s-life.html

You will need to replace one of the Futaba connectors with the old connector from your NiCad pack.

If you are OK with ordering from HobbyKing in China the sell packs with the Spektrum type connector already installed.

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

Club: None :*(
Send a message via AIM to Firestem4 Send a message via MSN to Firestem4 Send a message via Yahoo to Firestem4
Friends: (12)

That looks great! Thank you. My charger (thunder ac680) does support LiFE.

"Stay away from trees! Seriously-avoid them like an IRS audit." - Gzsfrk
Hangar: Slow Stick, GreatPlanes F-86 MicroEDF
Helipad: WL Toys v911
Boneyard: 3D Foamie (toolkit crushed it!)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Hogflyer

Club: Wichita Radio Control Club
Friends: (0)

Something else to consider with the DX6 is change the voltage regulator to a switching regulator. I'm getting ready to do this conversion to both my DX6's using a Dimension Engineering switching regulator that will take input voltages up to 30v dc. This will allow me to use a 3-cell lipo with no chance of blowing the regulator, and using a switching regulator will also extend the battery life 2 to 3 times what the inefficient factory regulator allows.

The page I linked to shows a link to a DX6 conversion they did with some good photographs. The link to the other radio has some very good detailed instructions that would apply to the DX6 too.

Hogflyer

Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club
www.flywrcc.org, wrccinstructor@flywrcc.org
AMA 47317
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Firestem4 View Post
That looks great! Thank you. My charger (thunder ac680) does support LiFE.
You will like those LiFe batteries. I've got a whole collection of the very similar technology A123 cells used as the motor power in my models.

These batteries hold their charge for a very LONG time, like a year or so. One bad thing about them is that their voltage discharge curve under a load test is virtually flat from 80% to 20% of capacity. So, using a standard voltage test to determine state of charge is not safe.

So, just top of your battery pack after each flying session, and you'll be good to go for the next time you go flying whether its the next day, or the next month.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros