Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #26
Nodd
Build something.

View Nodd's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

Paint (continued)
Day three of painting I believe. The light green & white are done...

Moving onto the dark green...

And here she is...

The rudders got some fun stripes...

Now that's done I can get back to putting her together...

Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Looking good Nodd!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #28
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Nice looking airboat Nodd.

You might find you need some strips or small ridges on the bottom.
I built a similar looking airboat in the late 60's. I had a Range Master 8 channel reed/relay radio system, I couldn't afford a plane big enough to lift the radio system.
Receiver, 4 servos (I had the small ones), 1 battery pack to run the RX, and 1 battery pack to run the servos, weighed about 24 oz. So I figured I could at least float the darn RC system.

My boat didn't look any where close to as nice as yours, I just cut an angle on the front of a 16" x 24" piece of hard foam, then a cut out for the RC box built out of 5/16" plywood, put a K&B 19 on top, my rudders were almost like yours. We went to a small lake. It went fairly fast considering how much weight was moving but would slide sideways instead of turning. I then glued 3 pieces of 1/4 x 1/4 spruce to the bottom then it turned just fine.

Now one of the clubs I am a member of, cleared out a low area at the field, and use it for seaplanes, and airboat races, so now I have to build another boat.

I enjoy your builds, thank you for sharing your designs.
What software do you use?

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #29
Nodd
Build something.

View Nodd's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Yeah I don't know how she'll handle with the flat bottom Dave. I know many boats need turn-fins & whatnot but then again the forums & YouTube are filled with flat-bottomed airboats just like this one, zipping happily around no problem. If she does end up sliding sideways instead of turning, I could add rails or ridges although I'll probably look at a few other options before taking that route. I know balance plays a role as does rudder area/design. To be honest I'd kinda like her to "skid" around the corners a little & I'd rather she fish-tailed Vs flipping over if I crank the wheel hard over. *shrug* I guess we'll see what she does.

Mounting the Rudders (continued)

The top of the rudders are firmly hinged just behind the motor mount. I also need to secure the rudder bottoms. For that I used a 34 piece of aluminum sheeting from Home Depot. I used tin-snips to cut it to shape...

This bolts-up under the main pylon. The piano-wire running down though the rudders indexes two holes in the plate...

To keep the rudders from popping out of the plate I secured the end of the wire with a couple of set-screws. Here's a view underneath before it was mounted...

To link the rudders together so they move as one I bent a short length of piano-wire to bridge the gap...

The mounting hardware is a regular set of Great Planes' control horns. I just snipped 'em off short & drilled a new hole...

And then I took everything apart
Well I thought I was done painting but noooo. For some inexplicable reason I decided she just had to have an orange nose...

Hey watch the paint job!
As with most of my airplanes I found myself taking care, while working on her, to not scratch the paint and then I thought, what the heck am I doing? This is an airboat that'll likely get beat-up running on snow, ice, grass, mud, you name it... watch the paint? So I'm adding "superior durability" polyurethane clear-coat over the entire hull, bottom especially...

That should do it for the paint... I promise. Tomorrow I hope to get the electronics installed.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

That's looking great, Nodd. You're gonna force me to exercise my extremely rusty CAD skillz.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #31
Nodd
Build something.

View Nodd's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Go for it Mark *smile*

Installing the guts
I dropped in my Chinese-takeout-food-container-radio-box-o-doom. Added lots of silicone to seal her in tight...

Adding bullet connectors to the motor leads...

Time to install the electronics...

I figured I'd keep things simple & just hot-glue in the rudder servo. Well that lasted all of two minutes, she popped right off. So instead I used some foam, scrap aluminum & whatnot to fabricate a proper servo mount...

Roughed up the inside of the food-container & epoxied in the servo mount. In no time I had the rest of the gear secured too. I used double-sided tape for most of the other stuff...

I spent some time programming the radio, getting the gyro setup & testing the throttle...

It floats!
The all important bathtub test. She sits pretty level with the nose raised slightly. The balance point is right around 2/3 from the bow, so she's looking good there...

DONE!
She cruises around my living-room carpet very nicely *grin* I'll take her out this weekend for some test runs. Stay tuned for the video...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Nicely done! Looks great!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Nodd your air boat looks great.
Did you use speaker wire for the extension form the ESC to the motor kinda looks like it in your pic.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
soarrich
Soarrich

Club: JCSF & MMAC
Friends: (0)

Great looking boat.

Chinese food tray, great idea, but when you're done an hour later you're going to want to go back to the pond and do it again.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #35
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)

Way Cool!!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #36
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

funny thing nod,i'm looking more forward to your settng this boat in water than the stinger i still have to maiden...,i guess it's do to cold weather here in nj.

if she's a go today for the maiden ,please post a video for all us flyguys/gals to see and who knows....maybe we'll have to add boats here at wattflyer.[jk moderators......please don't ban me]

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #37
Nodd
Build something.

View Nodd's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Nodd your air boat looks great.
Did you use speaker wire for the extension form the ESC to the motor kinda looks like it in your pic.
Yeap that's speaker wire in there. It was that or some lamp-cord I had laying around. The rest of my scrap wire is too smaller gauge.

Well you've all been waiting for this so here goes...

Click to watch video...
Nodd's Airboat YouTube Video

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

LOL. Nice. Congrats on your project, Sir.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #39
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Nice video. Sorry to see it picking up siome damage but at least nothing that cant easily be fixed.

I wonder about the wide turn circle on water.. Could this be because the boat has no keel and a flat bottom so it 'skids' sideways as it turns? Increasing rudder travel may only make the skidding worse. If so the solution might be to put a couple of small 'keels' along the bottom, just something like 1/4" square strips of balsa or plastic.

just a thought...

Steve
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #40
soarrich
Soarrich

Club: JCSF & MMAC
Friends: (0)

Cool. Try the fin! Watching your first test I would say the wind was at your back because the nose of the boat keep turning to you, the fin will help that. Boy that gyro was impressive, I bought some of these at HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456
Are they like what you are using?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Very impressive all the way around. Great job!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #42
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Great build and Run Nodd Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #43
Nodd
Build something.

View Nodd's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Thanks folks. Yeap I'm pretty happy with the boat. I might have too much motor on there but I'm okay with that. I just need to behave myself & not listen to club mates egging me on to "GO FASTER!" The extra power will be nice for going up hill *grin*

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nice video. Sorry to see it picking up siome damage but at least nothing that cant easily be fixed.

I wonder about the wide turn circle on water.. Could this be because the boat has no keel and a flat bottom so it 'skids' sideways as it turns? Increasing rudder travel may only make the skidding worse. If so the solution might be to put a couple of small 'keels' along the bottom, just something like 1/4" square strips of balsa or plastic.

just a thought...

Steve
Yeah the hull is taking quite a beating. I'm thinking I should have used heivier fiber-glass & more resin. Something to consider for the next hull.

You're not the first to suggest turn-fins or keels on the bottom. I have a couple of problem with that though. The nice thing about airboats is their clean-flat bottoms can skim over any surface, water, snow, ice, grass, weeds, etc. Placing stuff on the bottom would likely snag on stuff. The other nice thing about airboats is that they do slide when turning. Kinda like a car fish-tailing or doing donuts in the parking lot. That's half the fun in my opinion. Anyway I believe the wide turning issue has been solved by simply increasing the rudder travel. As you can see from the snow footage she spins around in nice tight circles now. Lots of fun.

Originally Posted by soarrich View Post
Cool. Try the fin! Watching your first test I would say the wind was at your back because the nose of the boat keep turning to you, the fin will help that. Boy that gyro was impressive, I bought some of these at HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456
Are they like what you are using?
Yeah I did notice some weather-vaning when the wind was blowing hard. Once I turned the gyro on however that seemed to fix that. Well at least when I was moving that is.

That HobbyKing OrangeRX gyro should work fine in a boat. Obviously that's three axis (yaw, pitch, roll), you'll only need yaw in a boat but I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work. Assuming you want to use the right stick to steer, you should use the aileron output on the receiver, plug that into the rudder (yaw) port on the gyro then rudder out to your rudder servo. Here's how I have mine setup...

Gyro Setup
I'm using a Detrum GY48V gyro. It's a pretty standard unit, usually used in helicopters but it'll work in anything RC...

Setup is pretty simple, you just hook it up between your receiver & rudder servo...

A nice feature of the GY48V is the remote gain control. It comes with an extra red plug that you insert into an unused channel on your receiver. Map that channel to a switch or the rotary-knob on your transmitter & you can dial in as much or as little stabilization as you like, all while you're driving/flying.

Orientation of the gyro when you install it in the hull is important. This unit only senses a single axis so in the case of a boat you want to orient it so it can sense if the boat turns either left or right (yaw). It doesn't care about rolling from side to side (roll) or rocking back-n-forth (pitch).

This gyro has two modes...

Regular
Counters any yaw movement by turning the rudder in the opposite direction

Head-lock
Turns the rudder either way until its facing the initial direction

For a boat you probably want to use regular mode, that's what I've been using. There's lots of other gyros on the market, for the most-part they all work the same (hookup between with RX & the servo). Some have remote gain control, some don't. Either should work fine.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #44
Nodd
Build something.

View Nodd's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I've also been asked about how a reversing ESC differs to a standard one...

Reversing ESC Setup
Most boat or car ESC come with the reverse feature. The boat ESC are water cooled so that wasn't an option for my airboat that runs on land too. So I went with a fan-cooled car ESC. Setup is pretty simple, you hook everything up as usual with the ESC plugged into the throttle channel. The throttle channel on a reversing ESC is a little different...

So when used on an airplane radio, you have to center the throttle stick to stop. Chances are your throttle stick has no self centering so it's a bit tricky to operate. Set the "null zone" on the ESC to its max. That'll give you a fair sized area around center that'll shut the motor down. It's not ideal but it works.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft