Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
Griff Murphey

Club: Fly by myself at Rockwood Park
Friends: (0)
Default Still looking for a spinner for an Outrunner 180

I know maybe most people leave them off off or are ok with just having a dummy to let the plane wear on the ground, but there are a lot of WW-2 planes in the 25-30" Span range such as the P-51 and Spit, that I would like to do... Guillows, Deils, EZ Bilt, but I would really like to use spinners on the ones that should have them; I am not finicky; something close would be fine.

Suggestions for sources?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
F22trainer

I've been considering an experiment with the molded plastic one for the static build, supplied with the kit, for my P-38.
You may have just motivated a prototype...
Old 06-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Carve/sand a hunk of foam? Maybe position it on a screw or something in a drill? Maybe head to the store and look into toy aisle at some of the projectiles like nerf darts and such? Model rocket kits? Just throwing ideas at the wall...

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Griff Murphey

That's an ok idea for a cosmetic display but it won't fly. The Guillows kits come with vacformed spinners, but what is needed is a manufactured spinner with a base that mates with an electric motor prop hub. I don't think it's possible to scab on anything home made that will run smoothly. A machinist could do it. Maybe a 3D printer? Have to be light enough though.... I can't help but think there is a commercial source. I have been looking particularly at the photos consumers send in and Easy Bilt models uses in their catalog of stick and tissue kits. Many models captioned as electric RC conversions have good looking spinners, they may be just clown noses for display but they sure look like they are airworthy. I guess it's just a real minority part of the hobby in this day - building balsa - second time I dun axed this heah question...

Maybe I ought to ask Easy Bilt. They have the builders' names on the models' photos.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
F22trainer

Hobbyzone has an large selection - even a 2 inch for my 3 blade P-38.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
tr4252

Friends: (3)

I've been thinking on this a long time myself, and I am a machinist. I've yet to see any spinners on the market small enough to use on the little 24" range of planes I like to build, but would really like to use them. Wake up vendors!

It'd be great to have shiny little 1/2" aluminum spinners on my planes to go with the aluminum cowls I make. Trouble is, every time I come up with an idea, it's too heavy and there are balancing issues.

This thread has inspired me to try again; I think I could turn a suitable one on my lathe, hollow it out as much as I dare, leaving a hub in the middle, and drill & tap for 2 setscrews at 180 degrees to mitigate the balancing problem and make it grip a little better than with only one screw. The hollowing-it-out part will require me to make a special tool, but it's what I do.

I have to say, in considering the work involved, it seems like a bit much, but in writing this post and visualizing the process, maybe it would be easier than I think.

Anyway, if I actually attempt this, and if it meets with any success, I'll report back to this thread.

Tom
Old 07-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Griff Murphey

I would need about 3/4" to 1", I would guess. Thanks I will check them out!

Barring that I am wondering if I could buy a top big one, have my model RR buddy scan it, scale it down, and make me one in plastic on his 3D printer.

Meanwhile Our Hero ducks the question.... his next will be the Comet Hellcat short run kit by DPCM!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft