Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #276
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Club: Fort Bend R/C
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (5)
Default BAC Composite CG Drawing

Dave,

Below is one of 2 BAC drawings focused on CG and Dims. I have previously lateralled this to you but with all the data
piling up I thought I would send again as it takes the horiz stab's mass CG into consideration aerodynamically. I think
this is what you were looking for beyond 25% of MAC shown on other drawings and in modeling calculators. I have a
file four times as large as seen below if you want it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BACB47DimsNCG1800.jpg
Views:	3052
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	166950

Ed Clayman
"Flite-Metal For The Look Of The Real Thing"
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #277
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Chris Davey Aviation Illustrator's B-47

Dave,

I am trying to locate this drawing. It was the center fold line art in either Motor Books, Aviation, or WARPLANES. The artist is
Chris Davey, the principal illustrator for the Osprey series. I just received a reply from Warplanes and its not from their series...

I have contacted Osprey, though because this specific illustration was for another publication I do not expect the corporate
office of Osprey to forward my inquiry to Chris unless I am exceptionally lucky.

Richard was the source of this image. Full size is 22" x 17" or metric equiv. Richard lost the original with small image being all
that remains. I would like to find the full illustration, scanned at moderatly high resolution as a .pdf so I can enlarge.

Ed

PS: Any new images of your B-47? Have you flown it yet?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DaveyB47LineArt500.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	168891

Ed Clayman
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #278
Capt. Midnight

View Capt. Midnight's Gallery1
Friends: (0)
Default Drawing Source

Hi Ed!

That drawing 'fragment' is a new one to me; I have no info on it. Is it possible you might get some help from Boeing Archives?

Cheers,

Dave P.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #279
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Mystery Illustration

No, this came to me from Richard who can't find it. I am waiting to hear from Chris Davey. This was published in a British
newsprint aviation periodical...Aviation News, September 1980...as a front and back centerfold.

Someone asked why I am looking for this drawing...at this late stage of this project, I would not normally consider that,
but in this case...it turned out to be the best of the eight multiple view drawings I already had. Plus its 1/72nd scale in
Aviation News.

In competitive flying scale modeling you should never stop reconciling documentation, even after entering in competition.
What little differential I would expect anyone to recognize between this new and my pervious choice would jump out at
a judge as they compare this to the model. This thanks to Richard Reynold's and Sam Collin's measurements of the 1:1 @
8 different B-47's on display.

This drawing's detail strength represents the single most accurate drawing in my documentation. Consequence of finding
an error or ommission can be huge. You have seen me abandon my documentation on two previous occassions since this
project began.

Richard Reynolds and Mike Wilson's discovery of the virtual flat on the forward fuselage sides led me to a complete redo of
my model design after it was 90+% complete. The virtual flat is a result of an overlap between the upper and lower ellipse
of the Boeing's fuselage design. Below you see flat area which when laminated with Flite-Metal will reflect differently than
surrounding areas, making it clearly visible.

This virtual flat occurs between Sta. 861.0 and Sta. 742.00 and was discovered during Richards physical measurement
of multiple B-47's and confirmed during Richard's and Mike's review of microfische at Nat'l Air & Space Museum archive
in Wanshington, D.C.

You might ask what difference this makes...

A break in reflected light will be seen along side of B-47 as it sits at its 6 degree rake during static judging. Reflected light
from flat area will appear as if it were a wide pin stripe along side of fuse. There is too great a chance judges will observe
the flat in my photo-docs. Using Davey's multiple view drawing was my only way to be sure I did not get called out on this
when I redesigned my fuselage shape to include it.

Remember you must provide a multiple view drawing, photos, and other 1:1 details in your static judging resource binder(s)
to provide matching points of perspective to judge your model the same way you constructed it. All multiple view drawings
must be from a published source.

Chris Davey replied to my emails and sold me his copy of the September 1980 Aviation News containing 1/72 multiple view
drawings on front and back of the centerfold section. Plus, Chris sold me the original ink on vellum 1/46th drawings of same.
Unfortuately, someone had cut each drawing perspective from its original 36" vellum...yes, quite disappointing indeed. I am
remounting to 36" wide plotter bond for scanning and copying after every perspective is remounted to permit achieving this.

There were considerable issues as consequece of someone cutting images from original vellum...however, these should not
be an issue with scanning...we shall see this next week.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-2013-CrossSectionsJ.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	168929

Ed Clayman
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #280
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Latest News... ?

Dave,

How goes your B-47's flights?

Ed Clayman
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #281
Capt. Midnight

Default B-47 Grounded

Hi Ed!

As I think I noted before, my B-47 is currently 'hangared' in a downstairs bedroom: the only feasible place to try to fly the model is at the Navy's outlying landing field on Whidbey Island (this is the field used by the Whidbey Island RC club and has a hard surface runway). The Navy changed their rules for model flights from the field about 6 months ago; only Club members who also have NAS Whidbey base-access privileges can fly models from the field; other Club members (like myself) may fly from the field but must have one of the 'regular' Club members accompany them at all times.

I had a pilot (in my 'home' club) lined up, but he doesn't belong to the Whidbey club, and (so far) have not been able to link up with another 'regular' member to make an attempt. It may be that the B-47 model will have to be donated to the Restoration Center of the Museum of Flight - they might be able to put it someplace.

How's your 'build' going?

Cheers,

Dave P.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #282
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Default Whidbey Friends

About six months ago shortly after you announced this issue, I discussed this with a contact on Whidbey. I
have a former next door neighbor who retired to Oak Harbor...Whidbey. His daughter's married to an EA6B ~
EA18G CAG.

http://bcove.me/9xikq3z0

Whidbey is home to the USN's Pac Crisis management... Kat and her husband have just returned to Whidbey.

Would you like me to make a run at acquiring permission for you to fly at the old amphib launch ramp I previously
posted images of? Contacting the Whidbey club officers is not difficult. Could contact Guy and Helen to get Kat's
telephone number...

To locate a paved runway is as easy as looking up your sectional then contacting the owner. There are many in
the immediate area. Over the years I have found private hard surface owners are exceptionally friendly with the
flying scale modeling community.

A wee bit further North:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeattleSectional.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	169743

Name:	SeattleSectional2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	169744

Ed Clayman
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #283
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Dave,

Hate to see you give up on your B-47's flight. This has bothered me more than you can imagine considering the sectional
and the human factors related to accessing Whidbey.

I assume you know Mike Mosbroker mosbrookerdxi@comcast.net and Chuck Bower cbower@whidbey.com ...

Believe you will be more than pleased with the results of a conversation with Mike and Chuck. This should lead you to a
pathway to use Whidbey pavement.

Ed Clayman
Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #284
Capt. Midnight

Default B-47 Model

Hi Ed!

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, i know of Mosbroker (our 'local' VP): I think he is a WIRCS member; I know of Chuck Bower; but don't know either of them from personal contact. Thanks for the offer to help, but I think I'll just tread water for the time being, as I'm busy with other family stuff and am plinking away on a 1/20th-scale electric model of the Boeing Sea Ranger. I'll let you know if there are any changes.

Cheers,

dave P.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #285
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Between your local AMA officials and the CAG I have connections to associates so you should have a better than average
opportunity to fly your B-47 from the club's pavement. Let me know if you want me to contact my friends there to follow
through on this.

As you can see the club has plenty of jet pilots, one of which I am sure would be willing to get your B-47 in the air for a
short high speed taxi to check your CG calculation and appropriate thrust.

http://www.wircsrc.com/WIRCS/WIRCS_Home.html

Good luck,

Ed Clayman

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets