Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #51
maxflyer

Friends: (0)

You learn from every mistake. Whatever happens...doesn't it make you feel good that your plane only cost you a few dollars?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #52
maxflyer

Another thing to be aware of on these very light models, it takes a very small movement or relocation of a component to affect CG. On the STC I stck my battery to the side with Velcro. I made the fuselage strip long enough so that I could move the battery slightly forward or aft to adjust the CG. (It doesn' take much!) It's Worthwhile to feel the differences of having the CG more forward or more rearward. Eventually you will find a location that feels right to you. When that happens, just make a small mark with a marker to help relocate the battery in the same spot every time you put it back on the plane.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #53
BigO

Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
You learn from every mistake. Whatever happens...doesn't it make you feel good that your plane only cost you a few dollars?
This thang is great Ive already orded more foam
I want to straighten the rudder out some a little more room for hing tape

I wonder if I can turn it in to a low wing hot rod ??
Old 03-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #54
maxflyer

bigO, your enthusiasm makes me laugh dude! I couldn't find a newb with a better first-time response than yours, to demonstrate why I suggested this design. I don't know who Charles Pirkey is. I don't know whether his design was pure dumb luck. I do know that one would be hard put to find a more ideal first trainer: Not considering the RC components, it only costs three or four dollars and a few hours to build. It's stable, forgiving, durable, and has a wide performance range, including just about every aerobatic maneuver possible with a rudder/elevator model. That cartoon-like tall fuselage (which actually looks very convincing in flight) with its exaggerated pendulum effect, and the wing with its slightly curved high-lift airfoil make this airplane a very stable floater that almost flies itself, and yet you can wake it to perform some very sprightly aerial dances if you like. I suspect that some of those factory-made trainer types are so dumbed down, that by the time you can take-off and land it, you're bored.You seem to have reached that point after one or two flights with the STC! You're ready for an aileron trainer already! I beseech you though, to keep flying it for awhile and try to feel its nuances a bit more. Have you tried spins, barrel rolls, loops, crosswind landings, its handling characteristics in various wind velocities? How strong a wind can you fly in before you lose control - and when you do, can you you get it back? Did you find a slope-like situation and try to thermal it? Even after you advance, I bet you'll find the STC to be a great model to keep in your trunk for a quick, relaxing 10 minutes in the park on the way home.

I understand your enthusiasm for wanting to convert to low wing, but the STC does have its limitations. A biggie would be those struts. This wing design is very effective, but it would not have the required rigidity without the struts. And without the stabilizing factor of that tall fuselage hanging under the wing, you would need to substitute a bunch of dihedral (or ailerons). Look at the thread where I show the model I came up with after the STC (and where I get accused of not being beginner enough). Although I used the same general control surface areas as the STC, the exact same power and RC components, and even the same wing - just an inch or two wider than the original, it really is a completely different design, and flies nothing like the original. But I wouldn't be as able to distinguish the subtle differences had I not put in several hours with the STC.

At any rate, congrats on your successful build and your successful first flights. Obviously, you feel as I did when I first flew it as a beginner. You're on your way son.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #55
BigO

Got to fly today Went to the park come home to charge the batt 3 times
after I run it in the baseball back stop I decided being able to judge distance is a plus
the tape hinges are still not working for me

max its not enthusiasm I got remodifiers syndrome, as a child i had untreated TSU ( tear stuff up )
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #56
maxflyer

Distance? You should try it as a one-eyed old dude. Did you use the fiberglass strapping tape for hinges?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #57
Barrymartin

I almost always recommend the Super Cub for a first airplane. It's ready to fly so you don't need anything else in order to get one up in the air. They are made of foam, so get a bottle of "Foam Safe CA" glue and just keep gluing stuff back together when it breaks.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners