Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Hobby Lobby discussion
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hobby Lobby discussion Hobby Lobby Support, information and discussion.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
TheRealMrEd

Club: Cobb County RC
Friends: (0)
Thumbs down ALFA planes

Why has Hobby Lobby dropped the ALFA line, and is anyonr else picking up U>S> distribution?

Is Alfa going to remain in business, and if so, where can we buy spare
parts for existing planes?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Flyboone
twitter.com/flyboone

Friends: (1)

The sales are not enough to support the line any further. Alfa planes and parts will still be available direct from the factory.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by Flyboone View Post
The sales are not enough to support the line any further. Alfa planes and parts will still be available direct from the factory.
That's because people don't know what they're doing anymore, and only want the most raved RTF models. Solid foam and retracts weigh. I've had one Alfa FW190 for years now, which I will deem uncrashable, as you can get out of situations that a heavier molded foam plane never could. Sad that people only want these heavy, molded foam planes with bells and whistles.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)
Default any web sites or distributors outside the U.S???

Been trying to find a Ta 183 Huckbein from Alpha for ages now( extensive re- working project in mind) Any Ideas how to get hold of one
Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default found one

Tried contacting the factory direct, and they still have the FW ta 183 in stock. Took some negotiating through the Czech website, but eventually ordered and paid for it. Cost more for freight than for the plane, but this is one particular plane I have been chasing for a while. My previous experience with alfa planes has not been good; they are pathetically brittle, but I've learned a lot about making these flying eggshells tougher over the last few years I'll do a mod thread at some stage.....
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Tried contacting the factory direct, and they still have the FW ta 183 in stock. Took some negotiating through the Czech website, but eventually ordered and paid for it. Cost more for freight than for the plane, but this is one particular plane I have been chasing for a while. My previous experience with alfa planes has not been good; they are pathetically brittle, but I've learned a lot about making these flying eggshells tougher over the last few years I'll do a mod thread at some stage.....
They fly wonderfully as they are light - but the downside is they are pretty fragile. You can have durable = heavy or delicate = light. Light flies better IMHO. To be honest I don't have any big issues with durability and have some over 7 years old!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
They fly wonderfully as they are light - but the downside is they are pretty fragile. You can have durable = heavy or delicate = light. Light flies better IMHO. To be honest I don't have any big issues with durability and have some over 7 years old!
Good to see you had success with these. My first exposure to alfa planes (and foamie arf's in general) was when I first got back into modelling about 5 years back. I went to a big club day that was advertised at a LHS in the town where I used to live. There was a distinct contempt for electrics anyway (not "real planes" I was told) and when the parkzone mustang went in due to a radio glitch, it exploded into a hundred bits. The Alfa jet ( I think it was an F86) literally shattered like glass though, and was totally beyond repair. I remember talking to the dismayed owners, who vowed to returned to balsa and glo and not waste any money on these "toys". Needless to say, my next plane was a scratchbuilt balsa sailplane, but fast forward five years, and I've gone full circle. EPP is my foam of choice, and leaves those balsa planes and arf foamies far behind. However I really like getting these fragile foam arfs, pulling them to bits, and rebuilding them to make a much better product. The Huckbein is the latest of these projects, so we'll see how she turns out
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
That's because people don't know what they're doing anymore, and only want the most raved RTF models. Solid foam and retracts weigh. I've had one Alfa FW190 for years now, which I will deem uncrashable, as you can get out of situations that a heavier molded foam plane never could. Sad that people only want these heavy, molded foam planes with bells and whistles.

+1 Bill.

I love my Alfa Corsair. It out performs all the bannana's and parkzones like crazy.

Super dureable too.. I've horsed around with it and even had a mid air, only to hit it with a little CA and filler on a wingtip.

All I gotta do is point up and go to full military power.... those other planes simply watch me leave them for the clouds.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
+1 Bill.

I love my Alfa Corsair. It out performs all the bannana's and parkzones like crazy.

Super dureable too.. I've horsed around with it and even had a mid air, only to hit it with a little CA and filler on a wingtip.

All I gotta do is point up and go to full military power.... those other planes simply watch me leave them for the clouds.
Very true Nitro blast. I really went off parkzone stuff for it's overpriced and over rated products, although thousands of Wattflyer posters would have you believe that they are the best. When the Australian company S&B models went out of business with their warbirds about 3 years ago, due the factory being destroyed in a cyclone, I kicked myself for not buying more of their kits. Their Spitfire in particular would eat any of the chinese foamies for breakfast. They still make the Me 163 Komet though
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default update

Almost forgotten about this post. I ended up getting a FW183 Huckbein direct from the factory for $70.00AUD pus P&H. No intention of assembling it yet, but it is a nice looking EDF, and I'll put her together when I have somewhere soft to test fly it (like a paddock with grass to my chin or something). It looks as though it explode if you dropped it
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
TheRealMrEd

Default Purchasing ALFA stuff in US...

Does anyone in Canada sell Alfa? Twice, I have e-mailed Alfa direct to see about ordering direct and recieved zero response.

I did notice that CML (I think) distribution will not sell to the US. Any idea why? Are they so mad at Hobby Lobby that the US is persona not grata?

Any suggestiions?

A frustrated ALFA fan.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

Pardon my ignorance,but what is it about the construction of these planes that makes them so light and brittle?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
TheRealMrEd

On my ALFA P-47 Thunderbolt, the wings are made of thinner foam and are hollow, rather than the solid foam wings used my most other manufaturers.

This is because they are built to fly, not over-built to crash.

The P-47 is 15.5 oz all up , including flaps and retracts. Not bade for an 800mm wingspan warbird!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #14
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

There are some on ebay. But id not get one because id be afraid of destroying it on first crash.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
There are some on ebay. But id not get one because id be afraid of destroying it on first crash.
They are very fragile but fly wonderfully and look better than anything else of this size. So the tradeoff is worth it. They are not really suitable for rookies due their fragile nature. It might be advisable to have decent experience as you can't really get parts either.

They are made from a light foam - that is molded and then the two sides are glued together. They use light spars and have sparing use of plastic and light ply formers to keep the weight down but add strength in critical areas. It is perfect combo but they won't take abuse.

Mike
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
They fly so well that there's little concern about crashing them. I've had their FW190 since the initial release, and it's my overall best flyer after flying 50 models or so. Light and incredibly flyable with no bad habits. I would be much more concerned about the "so-called" more durable EPS and EPP foam planes, as they are much heavier, more difficult to fly, and crash much harder than than an Alfa, which is much easier to do with a heavier plane with less agility. I would literally say that with minor training, anyone should be able to fly a good flying Alfa warbird forever without crashing, as long as they don't take excessive risks while flying. The responsiveness and handling is so good, that I've gotten out of a few very close situations that I never would have with heavier warbirds. I have a large collection of hand build models and have been parting with most all of my foamie ARFs. I'll still keep the Alfa 190 after getting rid of all the other foamies, as it's a real keeper.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

how do they handle landings in grass?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
They fly so well that there's little concern about crashing them. I've had their FW190 since the initial release, and it's my overall best flyer after flying 50 models or so. Light and incredibly flyable with no bad habits. I would be much more concerned about the "so-called" more durable EPS and EPP foam planes, as they are much heavier, more difficult to fly, and crash much harder than than an Alfa, which is much easier to do with a heavier plane with less agility. I would literally say that with minor training, anyone should be able to fly a good flying Alfa warbird forever without crashing, as long as they don't take excessive risks while flying. The responsiveness and handling is so good, that I've gotten out of a few very close situations that I never would have with heavier warbirds. I have a large collection of hand build models and have been parting with most all of my foamie ARFs. I'll still keep the Alfa 190 after getting rid of all the other foamies, as it's a real keeper.
Can't agree with all of that Bill. 99% of ARFs etc are less than perfect fliers, and less weight does mean less kinetic energy when they nose in i.e, the heavier the plane the bigger the crash. My EPP warbirds are great fliers, and nearly indestructable, so I tend to take huge risks with them. In real terms, it means I crash a lot attempting to stretch my flying skills, and usually over reach. I never do this with EPS and other foam types, as I know what will happen. My last 18 months have been spent trying to make better planes out of the ARF bare airframes that I bought very inexpensively. It did not always work out, but planes like the Durafly vampire and Starmax F22 raptor were great successes. I'm painfully aware what would happen if I used them as combat planes against my Me 163 Komet though Two hits from that and my pz stryker was written off. The Komet is also my best flying plane, bar none. The FW 183 Huckbein is still sitting in its box waiting to be assembled, so I can't comment on it yet, although it is a really well finished and good looking plane. With my wild weather and potato paddock flying field, the last thing i want to do is write it off before it even has the trims sorted. Fingers crossed I learn to fly her first, so it does not auger in. Time will tellcheers

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > Hobby Lobby discussion