Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
tkametz

Club: Sun Valley Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default How do I choose a servo?

I'm building a Super Sportster 60 that I am converting to electric. It has a 60" wingspan and will weigh 6 - 7 lbs. What size servos should I use?

Tom
Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Standard size. Lots of choices in terms of torque, digital versus analog, cost, etc.

I'd check with Hitec, Savon and Futaba for the higher end.

You can spend $8.00 each or $80.00 each. I've used several different brands. Pick your poison but on such a nice model, I'd go for quality.

Check Tower hobby, headsuprc, HK, servo city, etc. Compare torque.

Hawk
Old 12-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Calculate the required torque of your servo
www.ecalc.ch
→ toolbox
→ control surface movement

Old 12-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery9
Club: Campobello Flyers
Friends: (4)

One more thing to consider is the draw of the servos. I would suggest you use either a UBEC unit, or just install a receiver pack (you have the room, and the added weight isn't worth worrying about). In a model this size, don't rely on the BEC circuit of your ESC.

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

+1 Paul
But don't use Eneloops or similar NiMH. They hold their charge good over time, a bit too good for servo's, not high current. Excellent for Tx though.

SBEC = UBEC
I prefer the SBEC acronym because the S gives information: switching, as oposed to linear (just BEC).
UBEC (universal) was/is a SBEC make.

The higher the power-pack voltage, the fewer servo's a non-switching = linear BEC can handle. Switching BEC's don't have this restriction.

Battery voltage?
The higher the battery voltage, the hotter a linear BEC will get, for a given current/load/servos.
Or, in other words ...
The higher the battery voltage, the lower the current a linear BEC can supply. In depth:

Old 01-01-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
FoxProGT

I too am in the search for the right servos. All my research is pointing me in the analog direction. Im starting to feel that digital servos wouldn't put me at ease while flying. Id give up smoother servo movement for less amp strain on the bec.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Club: Alpine Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

3kW 
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by FoxProGT View Post
I too am in the search for the right servos. All my research is pointing me in the analog direction. Im starting to feel that digital servos wouldn't put me at ease while flying. Id give up smoother servo movement for less amp strain on the bec.
Generally speaking, the same size digital servo won't tax a BEC much more than an analog servo. For example, the Hitec HS-645MG and the HS-5645MG have identical current draw specs, the only difference between the two is one is analog and the other digital. If you want to get down to the technical details, the digital servo may be drawing just milliamps more than the analog servo due to its constant re-centering, it's not enough to be concerned over.

I am using 4 HS-7954SH's on my 70" Aerobeez Slick powered by a Castle 20 amp BEC Pro set to 8.0V, the BEC doesn't get warmer than the ambient air temperature. There's plenty of BEC choices out there to power your servos depending on the load. Some of my real good friends are using the same BEC PRO unit on their 35% gasoline airplanes with 8 high torque high powered digital servos and don't have any issues. They run the BEC PRO on 3S to give the servos a constant feel. On bigger airplanes, I generally won't use an integrated BEC on an ESC.

For the OP, I'd recommend the HS-5645MG if you want a digital servo or the HS-645MG if you want an analog servo.

Team Hitec, Customer Service Representative
Team Aerobeez Pilot
Old 01-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
FoxProGT

Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Generally speaking, the same size digital servo won't tax a BEC much more than an analog servo. For example, the Hitec HS-645MG and the HS-5645MG have identical current draw specs, the only difference between the two is one is analog and the other digital. If you want to get down to the technical details, the digital servo may be drawing just milliamps more than the analog servo due to its constant re-centering, it's not enough to be concerned over.

Yeah im alittle paranoid on the matter.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions