Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-18-2017, 04:27 AM   #1
dereckbc

Friends: (3)
Default Hard To Beat

Well I am doing research on a new build. I decide to build an Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540 EXP. So that research is a done deal.

However since I have time on my side I tried to find upgrades from factory Motor, ESC, and Servos. What I am finding out is I cannot find a better motor/esc combination that beats what the EF specifies. Only thing I could do better is use digital servos. EF recommends Hitec MG65 servos. I can do much better than that by using Hitec HS-5070 MH and running 7.4 volts. Significant upgrade.

The Motor EF uses appears to be their own called a Torque 2814T/ 820 KV. ESC is again their own Airboss 45 amp used to drive a 12 x 6 APC E. According to Drive Calc and another one I found on line cannot come up with any improvement. Most fell short and only 2 even came close.

So I can only conclude EF does a real good job matching things up. If you can find something better, I am all ears.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Club: Alpine Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

3kW 
Friends: (2)

Run the EF power system, here's how it performs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiGvroUunA

Chris and the whole EF team spend a lot of time testing these airplanes out with various systems and components to ensure that what they recommend will perform extremely well. The HS-65MG would probably do fine in the airplane but the HS-5070MH is taking it to the next level.

Team Hitec, Customer Service Representative
Team Aerobeez Pilot
Old 01-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
dereckbc

Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Run the EF power system, here's how it performs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiGvroUunA

Chris and the whole EF team spend a lot of time testing these airplanes out with various systems and components to ensure that what they recommend will perform extremely well. The HS-65MG would probably do fine in the airplane but the HS-5070MH is taking it to the next level.
No argument here. I intend to run the EF Power Train System. They did an excellent job. I tried for 2 days running clacs and nothing can beat it. In fact no other combination can equal the performance. Sure I can find Motors and ESC combos power can deliver more thrust and power, but requires significantly more weight and volume that would not fit in the cowl, and larger heavier battery. In other words EF combo delivers the highest Thrust to Weight Ratio. They managed to put 10 pounds of chit in a 1 pound box. My hat is off to them.

As you said the only improvement I can make is with Servos. I understand why they chose MG65's. They are good inexpensive analog Servos and should work fine. Then you told me about the 5070 which is a significant upgrade with 4 times the power, with only 1.8 grams more weight per unit.

I am a happy camper on paper so far.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Wound up putting a Motrolfly 2820-950kv, ZTW Mantis 80A esc, Castle 10A bec, 4x KST DS215MGv3 servos and a 2650mAh 45c 4 cell. This causes a 13x4 Xoar wood prop to rip at full throttle, Yes it rips! as well as produces a ridiculous amount of low end thrust. It's like instant on when puling out of a hover. At this point it time, with multiple 60" 58" 47" and 44" 3DHS and EF models, this 48" Edge is my favorite. Placed an order for more props and will see how the 47" Extra 300 SHP with the Torque 2818-850kv likes this shallow pitch prop on 4 cell.

I have also become a huge fan of the KST 215's running at maximum voltage. Amazing speed and no blowback on the 48" planes.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
Vic Z

Club: Mt Rainier RC Club
Friends: (1)

My first balsa, and I have only been flying for a little over a year now. I am building this plane as well.
Went a little bit of a cheaper route and am putting this motor in it.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Leopard-...or_p_2325.html
with a 45A ESC

Should have it all finished and dialed in tonight, and will run it by the dealer tomorrow to have him give it a once over for me. I hope to maiden it in the next week or so if I can get the weather to cooperate.
Everything that I have heard tells me that this thing should be awesome to fly. I know for sure that it will be far beyond my capabilities, but that's how we grow

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

I had been flying without the Side Force Generators for maiden and a while after that. Finally got around to using them and it is like night and day. This plane is a great deal more stable with them installed. Good Luck, you're going to love it. I really like the Leopard line. 13x6.5 or maybe even a 14x7 ,with easy throttling, should be great with a 3 cell or the 12x6 or 13x4 on 4 cell will make for insane.

Edit: but you already know that because HeadsupRC is awesome with their prop data. Actually ordered a few Falcon props from them earlier today.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
Vic Z

Club: Mt Rainier RC Club
Friends: (1)

Thanks Bird
Trying to decide whether to grandma my start on 3S or just go right to 4S and 12x6. I don't think you have to push that left stick all the way forward, at least that's what I have heard

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

EF and some others follow a different line in quoting their motors ... instead of external can measurements - they use length + stator measurements. This is where common mistakes are made trying to compare.
But I'm sure Derek and others here already know this !

And like others - they are wary of advertising external comparable dimensions - which is fair do's .... biz is biz.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #9
dereckbc

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
I had been flying without the Side Force Generators for maiden and a while after that. Finally got around to using them and it is like night and day. This plane is a great deal more stable with them installed.
Ditto. My EF Edge is the same way. No more Tip Stalls.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions