Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
ditchit

Awards Showcase

5kW  150mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)
Default E-flite Rare Bear on 6S. Filmed in 4K.

First time taking vid of something fairly quick with my new 4K cam. After some average results filming some fast RC cars I did some research and set shutter to 1/120 while running at 60fps to reduce motion blur while manually adjusting aperture/iris for shots on ground and in the air. Only goofed a little on the glide in where I lost focus...but lesson learnt.

Apparently E-flite have discontinued the RareBear. It sold by the bucket load at UK RC shows last year so can only think they've got a new version coming soon. Fingers crossed. Feedback or comments on the new 4K resolution welcome. So looking forward to going to the big shows and using the 4 x HD detail of this cam.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

That looks speedy!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Fastest pass on RC Speedo doppler has it at 113.07mph. I would have certainly expected more on 6s. The app can be a little wonky though.
Phase 3 EF-16 with a Dons wicked 4900kv 5 blade 64MM (I forget the fan manufacturer, EVO maybee) on 3s does the same.
Balsa Speed Shark on 4s with MicroDan 2700kv 5x5APC will pull 166mph and some change, for two minutes.
None the less, nice plane there and extremely nice video.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
Panther

View Panther's Gallery5
Friends: (1)

Colours are really great and plane looks super nice.

I have a couple of gripes about 4K. One is, I don't have a 4K telly but the vids are fine on my puter. Second is, 4K takes up so much memory and takes a while to process vids.
I went through Vimeo looking for 4K vids a few days ago and honestly I couldn't see a difference between most of them and a 1080P. To watch them on my Mobile Broadband internet I really need to download them with a video grabber first and then watch them.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
ditchit

Awards Showcase

5kW  150mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (0)

Certainly takes a lot longer to process. I've gone from a 10 minute vid long being 2.5GB for 1080P to 13GB for 4K (2160px w). Rendering takes 90 minutes, upload 60 minutes and YouTube processing take most of the night to get it to 4K. The vid on my 1680px w monitors is much sharper and detailed with 4K. Other advantage is that I'll be able to take great stills from 4K footage. I needed to change my cam anyway as the 4 year old handycam was getting a bit glitchy. This new cam comes with a lot of pro features (e.g. focus transition and high sensitivity) that I'll definitely be using.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

Cameras like your 4K are great, the main problem IMHO, it seems the companies that make equipment like that, all assume that we own computers with the latest Intel Core I7 processor and 32gb of ram, and the fastest video card made. Of course it would have a high speed SSD plus a 6tb HDD. All that has to be on a very good mother board, to make the best use of it.

That boils down to a PC costing $2500 - $3000. If we had a computer like that, 4K would not take much more time than lesser types.

I would love to have a state of the art computer but unless I win a lottery, it's not going to happen. I know some people do own PC's as I described and I envy them, but then maybe I own something they would like to.

The Rare Bear is an exciting plane, stable and strong. I would not like to see a control surface flutter at that speed.

I must build a new high speed plane, the last one did a one point landing on the Wyoming prairie at 125mph.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Panther

View Panther's Gallery5

I have the iPad Pro 9.7" version which comes with a 4K vidcam. Amazing pics but for my own use prefer the 1080P 60 FPS. To the eye there is little difference.
I do like the slomo 720P 240 FPS and 1080 at 120 FPS. Brilliant for taking grabs, but uses too much memory.

I tried d'loading the Rare Bear vid with MacX youtube downloader which is designed for 4K but when I play it back I get mostly broken hash. Very dissapointed.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Panther

View Panther's Gallery5

Well I spent some time doing some videos with my iPad Pro.
4K runs well on my iPad but will not run on my Mac even though I have 8Gb ram. I have a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and obviously need a quad core processor.
It runs fine on my iPad (as it should)

1080P at 60 FPS is better but jerks a bit on the Mac. (dissappointed as flying models look so much smoother)

1080P at 30 FPS has no problem at all.

Graphics card in the Mac is not all that wondeful either. (NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB)

Looks like I need a Quad Core Mac.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
Panther

View Panther's Gallery5

I moved the Rare Bear video back onto my iPad Pro and the difference is amazing.

The thing I noticed most is that even when the plane is in the far distance it is still very clear to see, unlike normal videos where the plane disappears into oblivion.

Very nice video so now you are going to have to do some more aren't you. lol

Since I wrote this I had a problem with my computer that is now fixed but in the meantime I learned a LOT.
I am fitting a SSD (solid state drive) in it and this will speed it up (10 fold they claim) Apparently it is more effective than fitting extra RAM or a better video card. I can't wait to see the results.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions