Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Vic Z

Club: Mt Rainier RC Club
Friends: (1)
Question Thrust angle problem?

Hey guys. Has been a while.
Hope everyone has been well.
Not much has been going on in the great northwest except for crappy weather. From the tempo of posts on here I am assuming that I'm not the Lone Ranger in that arena. Have been lurking and it has looked pretty boring on here.
Had the Sukhoi out a couple of weeks ago and between having to play with both mode and rate settings I plowed it into the ground pretty dang hard. Purely my fault. Just not smart enough to play with 2 switches at the same time. I immediately threw the AS3XA RX away and put a straight no frills 4 channel in it. I Put the 3 fuse pieces back together and it looks pretty straight, and had to replace the bent prop adapter. It trims out fine and flies great, but when I go vertical and add throttle it wants to veer way off to the right. Even when I add left rudder (vert) it kind of tries to straighten out but heads starboard as soon as the rudder is released.
I am thinking maybe too much thrust angle to the right.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Vic

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Yeah, sounds like either too much right thrust or the fuselage/tail is bent thus giving right rudder effect.

Sighting down the fuselage should spot and misalignment, right thrust is topically 3 degrees give or take half a degree or so.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

OK this is where pilots start to get experimental ...

We all go through the correct with rudder trim for vertical - but then find that other attitudes start to suffer. So we correct the vertical. Land and see where rudder is.

A rough rule of thumb I use is that 1 deg of right thrust on a motor is equal to 4 - 5 degrees on rudder. If the rudder is deflected visibly to one side ... in this case likely to left when looking at tail from behind ... then slack back motor mount and stick washer under the mount top and bottom starboard side (left side looking at spinner from ahead). That will reduce the right thrust a touch.
Go fly and now rudder trim should be reduced ....

Keep going till you have a good balance. Its common to have a degree of offset to rudder ..

BUT of course you are flying with recc'd optimum prop / motor / setup ? The amount of power / thrust of your setup makes a huge difference to a model ... if you increase power to waht its designed for - then often you need to reduce thrust offsets to compensate UNLESS you fly at reduced throttle all the time !!

All these things are always a compromise ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Vic Z

Aside from the rx all is completely oem. Exactly as it was before the crash.
With rudder trimmed straight it flies true in normal flight. It only veers when vertical and under full power. That's what makes me think thrust.
Looking down the fuse all seems to be straight (with my old eyes).

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 01-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

My Zlin and Extra fly straight as arrows but when they go vertical - I needed bootfuls of left rudder !! I could trim that rudder for verticals and unless knife edge - level was literally no different

So I altered thrust lines and now both are good ... straight and vertical.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Vic Z

Thank you Nigel. That's what I was hoping to hear. I am really good with glue and inserting washers, but that is about the top of my skill level. I have seen some of the hamburger that you have resurrected and I had a feeling that you might have the answer.
You and JPF usually chime in with good help. Always appreciated
Weather permitting I will be at the field tomorrow. Report to come.

Vic

Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

At any rate I would stick a couple of washers under the right side of the motor mount just to see the difference in flight. The washers I use are about .030 thou. thick , or 1/32 in.
Look down from the top of the fuse, you should just barely see the right thrust in the motor.

Gord.

Gord.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

My thrust adjusters run from paper ... card .... thin washers ... thicker washers ... prop shaft rings from props (we all have loads of those !!) to ply plates ...

Instead of using multiple washers - try a prop shaft ring ... lighter, only one item to put in place !!

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions