Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Griff Murphey

Friends: (0)
Default Help for a friend in Orono, Maine

I have a colleague from school days up in far northern frozen Maine. He is a good stick and tissue modeler and wants to do rc micros and park flyers. He is kind of like me when I started, no idea what to buy. Anyone up in Orono or near who might volunteer?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery9
Club: Campobello Flyers
Friends: (4)

Have him look at BMJR Models. They sell a lot of very good parkflyer RC models. I built one of their Spacewalkers. Flew like a dream.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpaceWalker.jpg (100.7 KB, 75 views)

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:45 AM   #3
Griff Murphey

Beautiful job.

Possibly I did not explain adequately, but what he needs is a mentor to help him with selecting radios and powerplants and programming the transmitter - stuff like that. Apparently there are no good hobby shops there so he will need to go mail order. I think he wants to scratch build - the airframe is the least of his concerns.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

For starters and to get the juices flowing, he can study threads here and over on RCG. Start communicating. Lots of YouTube vids on just about anything. Read, watch, learn, generate questions, get answers, repeat.

If he wants to build something from plans, there's likely to be someone out there in cyberspace who's done it before and can provide tips.

Can gain some more insight and begin to understand the lay of the land before diving into something.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Scotty909
What goes up...

Club: My Backyard flying club

I live about an hours drive from Orono near Dover Foxcroft. I have a big back yard and side lot that I use for most of my flying. I'd be happy to help him out once the weather warms up.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Griff Murphey

That is great. If you wish rather than private messaging me, since I post under my real name, you can call me at my office, (817) 335-9440.

Yeah he was telling me he was trying to finish a rubber power scratchbuilt before the snow hits. Just out of curiosity what radio system do you prefer?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery9
Club: Campobello Flyers
Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
Beautiful job.

Possibly I did not explain adequately, but what he needs is a mentor to help him with selecting radios and powerplants and programming the transmitter - stuff like that. Apparently there are no good hobby shops there so he will need to go mail order. I think he wants to scratch build - the airframe is the least of his concerns.
Okay, I thought he already flew and just wanted to get some links to parkflyer balsa kits (they're getting harder to find, it seems, like any kit).

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
For starters and to get the juices flowing, he can study threads here and over on RCG. Start communicating. Lots of YouTube vids on just about anything. Read, watch, learn, generate questions, get answers, repeat.

If he wants to build something from plans, there's likely to be someone out there in cyberspace who's done it before and can provide tips.

Can gain some more insight and begin to understand the lay of the land before diving into something.
If he really wants to build, there are options. I 're-designed' a Tiger 60 to a smaller, electric powered model (I called it the Tigercub) and have the CAD plans and full build thread available on RCG in my blog (StayQuiet). He could print the CAD files and cut by hand, or send them out to be laser cut and end up with a 'short kit' that still requires some parts to be hand cut.

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions