Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #2726
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Pat,

All I can say is 'wow'! Your hanger must be packed to the rafters.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:37 AM   #2727
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Yep,

Pat's been on a big time roll. Me too with all the nice irresistible goodies that MRC keeps bringing. My Cat is ready for maiden. In terms of fit and finish, the best foam arf I've ever encountered. Really nice.

That and the A6 replacement airframe, the Mig-21, the 64mm F/A-18 which is a hoot to fly. Is Black Friday over yet ?

Next up ? They are bringing out a twin 80mm convertible to 90mm A-10 Warthog. I'm already rubbing nickels together for that one.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #2728
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

View crxmanpat's Gallery20
Club: Arizona Model Aviators, Gilbert Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Pat,

All I can say is 'wow'! Your hanger must be packed to the rafters.
Finally had to build another 7-plane storage rack in the garage, and will need a third one now with the 3 planes still in boxes.

Not to mention room for the new twin 80mm A-10 coming this Spring!

Pat Gagnon
Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #2729
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)
Default Goldwing / Skyline 60" MXS

From http://skywardhobbies.com/

Pretty impressed by the quality. Tight looking joints, tight covering, very tight CA hinge slots. Came together straight. Obviously jig built. Perhaps a bit heavy on the glue in some areas and lacking the carbon fiber longerons found on many Extreme Flight models. Nice quality hardware package (with bolt on servo horn extensions and extension lead locks!) and carbon fiber main gear.

One issue I found is that the hinges are not double beveled, leaving deflections at 45 degrees either way or having to compromise hinges by extending the gaps. This works out fine on ailerons and more throw would only offer a few more degrees before rudder collides with the elevators. I peeled the covering from the rear of the horizontal stab and added a beveled block giving 15-20 degrees more throw. In hindsight I found that this disturbed the leading edge of the H-stab/elevator cheaters, oh well. CA hinges were swapped out to Dubro nylon pinned hinges.

Model is designed for dual Elevator servos but kit contains a stick if you wish to connect both halves to drive with one servo. I decided to use two HS-85MG for a combined torque of 97oz-in. This should work excellent seeing as the surfaces are a bit smaller than the Extreme Flight 60" models.

Kept this thing as budget as possible running a castle bec at 6 volts, Turnigy Plush 80amp esc, Orange 6 channel Rx with secondary elevator mixed to gear channel, HS5245 rudder, some salvage DS821's for ailerons all leading to a Leopard 5055-480kv swinging a 15x8, will most likely swap up to a 16x7 in time.

6 pounds all up weight with 4000mAh 6s. CG balance on spar with battery centered between firewall and wing spar, about 1.5 inches of adjustment either direction.

Could most likely maiden this thing in the morning but still need to clean up the install and tidy up the wiring. Overall, it looks like a pretty darned nice plane....

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 AM   #2730
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

My wife got this for me for Christmas.
It is very different to fly, although I haven't got to the point of switching to aircraft mode although my friend has, it made the transition smoothly, no problems.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #2731
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Man, I need professional help. Just bought some KST DS215MG servos for my 47" 3DHS Extra, and they are amazing. Excellent centering, much more torque and quite a bit faster than the HS-65MGs I replaced, all for $23 each. So now I have a pile of lightly used HS-65MGs and HS-70MGs, along with a Motrolfly 2820 -950 from another plane. What to do.....what to do.... BUY AN EXTREME FLIGHT 48" EDGE 540T-EXP SILLY! This hobby is going to put me in the poor house...

Rob
Old 01-30-2017, 01:30 AM   #2732
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

" This hobby is going to put me in the poor house..."

But at least you are having fun!!!!

I have the same disease, I have the EF 48" Edge 540 T, the EF 48" laser, the EF 58" Extra 300. a 40' Edge, a Hyperion Enigma with thrust vectoring. A Weavers what's It, and several other 3D stunt planes.

Plus about 50 ( not kidding) other planes. from a 114' seaplane to a 1/2 A racer.

That's why I joined Radio Control Airplanes Anonymous Association RCAAA

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:37 AM   #2733
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Me, buying my very first RC plane:

LHS: The Mini Super Cub is a starter plane. It'll last a little while, while you learn, but then most people move up to one of these planes.

ME: Oh, no. I really only want the one plane to fly. I don't see myself needing more than that.

Me, five years later.

SON-IN-LAW: So, how many planes do you think you have?

ME: I dunno. Maybe 25?

SON-IN-LAW: Dude, you've got 30 planes just on that one wall over there!

ME: I do? (counts planes.) Oh yeah. I guess I do.

SON-IN-LAW: And that's not counting the ones on the ceiling, or on that wall over there.

ME: I guess I must have more than 30, then.

And I'm currently building this. No IDEA where I'm gonna put it once it's done.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:39 AM   #2734
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Sigh, yeah that's pretty deep too Wildflyer. My excuse is always "it keeps me out of the bars". At this point, the bars might be cheaper.

LOL mark.

Edit: Now I see the photos. Holy cow!

Rob
Old 01-30-2017, 03:26 AM   #2735
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (22)

This is my #1 winter project It's a RMRC "IBCRAZY" Alex Greavy Chimera 54inch wing with Eagle Tree Vector/gps/osd. Using a 10 channel spectrum RX with 2 Sat RXs powered by a castle creation 10amp ubec. The motor is a Headsuprc Firepower 35-36-1600kv with a 100amp Castle Ice esc. Over kill since I am pulling 70amps wot using an 8x5e APC prop.

Running 2 4cell 20c 5000mah zippy batteries in parralell to get 10,000mah. Fpv setup is simple 5.8 and may be replaced later for better distance flying along with Dragonlink TX. For how and where I fly the present setup will do fine.

Everything is working with the exception of needing to run the RX Wizard to program the TX mode switches again. Presently using only 3 modes. Manuel,2d no hold[stabalizer on], and return to home. The transmitter is working the control surfaces correctly but when the stabilizer is on the elevons elevators are working opposite of how they should. Thus reprograming the vector will be the last step before a maiden. I love working through issues programing flight controllers. Very satisfying when they get fine tuned and working as they should

Next project is another racing quad. A 210mm using 1300mah 5cell battery. Tons of soldering to build and then the programing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2350.JPG (554.1 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2352.JPG (581.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2353.JPG (536.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2354.JPG (477.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2357.JPG (498.4 KB, 179 views)

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #2736
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

Hobby Kings Glue and Go Mig 29 ... which I think is a copy of the RC Powers earlier one ...

Just need to get out there again and fly with a decent prop !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 AM   #2737
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Club: RCACF
Send a message via Yahoo to fdnyjery
Friends: (2)

Mark is just an amazing Hobbyist. He is one of the Best!! Mark good luck with that monster ,I am dying to see it fly. And I thought I had a lot of planes with 8 .Got a long way to go to catch up with you Mark ! :o)) fdnyjery aka Jerry
Old 01-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #2738
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Went on a bit of a roll the last few days. And a pretty cheap one at that.

First, I bought the L-39 from ForceRC. I believe its a rebranded flyzone model with the 56mm hyperflo motor. $119.00 shipped

Then, I stopped at the LHS to look at a 73" WS scratchbuilt, Wowplanes Foamcore B-24 Lib hanging on consignment. Gorgeous scale detail and I really wanted it but it needs some TLC in the electrics, something I just don't have the time for it right now. He wanted $295.00 for it and it's worth it as a museum piece. Side gunners with cloth uniforms. My Dad was a crew chief on one. But? Naw.

A guy walks in with a scrathbuilt scale North American OV-10 Bronco and an older Hobby Lobby Red 64mm Mig-15. I bought the Mig for $40.00. The bottom of the tanks are glassed such that it will take off from grass. I like that.

Just as I was leaving, I see a 1450mm Airfield Corsair hanging. Mint condition with flaps. So I plopped down another $150.00. Crap. Just couldn't get out of there unscathed.

Then, my buddy says he wanted to get rid of his RC Lander F9F Panther. Just need a nose gear retract. Okay, let the good times roll !

Time to start saving for the Freewing 80mm A-10 Warthog. Ouch ! this hobby sure takes a toll on the wallet.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #2739
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

And I thought I was daft !!

Just bought the Mig 29 ... 3D printer .... complete electrics setup for my EF Extra 58" ...
the DJi Drone ... new Tablet for the DJI ..... new phone ..... and a camera !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #2740
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Went to a very unique estate sale yesterday. The Dave Graben Memorial. Before passing, Dave was a 777 captain at American and prior to his commercial career, a USAF fighter pilot during Vietnam flying the F105. He lived in a semi rural airport community where he had a rather large hangar and beautiful home next door.

An avid RC enthusiast, he left behind over 300 Rc airplanes mainly electric and several NIB kits. His buddies sorted everything for several days and conducted the sale. He had lots of everything. Float planes like the Solent, to turbines to edf's, bi-planes. Foam and balsa . Was like a hoard of of shoppers rushing the door at sale at Macy's. Some drove 4-5 hours.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...view-TX-Feb-11

I walked out with an old and rare JPowers 70mm A7 Corsair II ,a Freewing Stinger 90 and an A-spec Turingy 6S lipo. Great deal and I am hopeful it helps Dave's estate. I'll upload a pic later.

Most of the used planes had rx's still installed. Wish I could afford to have bought more. A lot of rare and unique planes you don't see every day.

I just noticed that I now have a squadron of 15 airworthy edf's . I think I need to thin the herd.

Hawk
Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #2741
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Sounds like everyone is going in for some 'retail therapy' to help them through the depressing winter months. I also succumbed and added another unnecassary heli to my fleet.. A Goblin 700 Speed:
Old 02-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #2742
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (22)

Hawk, estate sales always make me so sad. Looks like the guy was into flying,but also serious collecting. I hope my son takes up the hobby if i pass away or else they'll have to sell everything far to cheap maybe i should donate everything the kids don't want so my wife dosn't have to look at the hobby that took up so much of my spare time. Dang, I love soldeing up quads now. Just finnished another 210.

JPF, She's a beauty the goblin is. it will certainly meet your "need for speed"

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-19-2017, 04:34 AM   #2743
SkyDaddy

Club: Valdosta R/C Flyers AMA 1348
Friends: (0)

I just maidened an FMS Beaver today and hope to have the Eflite Stick ready to fly tomorrow! I think I need professional help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5615.JPG (985.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5613.JPG (1.45 MB, 93 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #2744
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

So sometimes it pays to be at the right place at the right time.

A guy stops by the field yesterday and says he's a former member. He had been cleaning out his garage and wanted to get rid of a couple planes. Apparently he's left the hobby.

So, he hands me a Hangar 9 Twist ( electric version) Has an eflight 60 and Castle Phoenix 80 amp esc. Still had the 72mhz rx and 4 old 3S 2200 lipos installed. I said " Sure!

Wish I could find a thread on it. Always helpful. If you know where I can read more about the H9 Twist 60 electric, please let me know.

Took her home and installed a DSMx rx, fired her up and she's perfect. Looks new and I think he said he got it around 2001 ish. I'm not an accomplished 3D pilot by any means. In fact, just dabble in it once in a while.

This plane is pretty big. 56" WS, 58" long and weighs in about 8 lbs with 6S lipo.

Free is always good ! Should be fun anyway.

Hawk
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #2745
KillerChaos

Friends: (0)

My newest airplane is a SebArt Mini-Avanti S EDF. Fiber glass fuselage, wood wings and horizontal stabilzers, retracts, JP Hobby 90mm 6S EDF unit, Castle 130A ESC and Castle Pro regulator. Wingspan is 54", length 56" and ready-to-fly weight is 8 lbs. 4 oz. with 5000 mAh 6S 45C Pulse LiPo (for the fan unit) and 1350 mAh 3S for the radio system.

I still have a few more servo extensions to install, plus a little more configuring to do to my DX-9 and AS3X 9ch receiver before the maiden flight. Not to mention waiting for fair weather and dry roads to the RC field (we're finally getting a lot of much-needed rain out here in California).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SebArt Mini-Avanti S_1.JPG (725.8 KB, 74 views)

Retired
Old 02-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #2746
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Killer,
Scha-weet !
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #2747
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

So I'm at the club meeting tonight and a member comes up to me and says:" Hey, I got something for you" At the end of the meeting I met him in the parking lot and he hands me a Freewing 70mm F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Needs a little work with the vectored thrust and the LG. All easy stuff.

Got home and ordered a 12 blade FMS motor/ fan combo from Banggood ( love that site) and some LG from from Motion. For about $100.00 I'll be flying a virtually new plane with upgraded stuff.

Pretty cool. It's the third plane I've received for free in the last month. Free is good.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:38 AM   #2748
Panther

View Panther's Gallery5
Friends: (1)

Darn your hide dahawk.... I hate you..... Not really but I am totally envious.

I really really like those. Aussie has quite a few ordered.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #2749
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Hi Panther,
You guys really get hosed when it comes to shipping cost. BTW, I've been to your land of OZ on two occasions. Love going there. Who knows? Maybe they will accept American refugees someday. LOL

I have a love/hate with EPS. The F35 I received is Ver 1. I like it EPS for it's lighter weight but hate it for its lack of durability. Oh well. Adding the missing retracts which acording to the guys over on RCG might be a mistake.

Not going to use the Thrust Vectoring feature but will add flapperons. I've found that most edf's have better chance of rotating on grass with take off flaps applied. We'll see.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 02-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #2750
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

My last was scratchbuild. I wanted a 3D plane , as light as possible and maneuverable as possible with very large control surfaces for maneuverability at very low speed. Also the most wing area in the smallest space. Many of you already know the Fokker DR1 makes a good candidate.
Made from underfloor foam insulation from Lowes, which is 1/2 in. thick and Home Depo, where it's 3/4 in. thick. This foam has a plastic film on either side, which gives it the stiffness required with no additional bracing.
Wings and tail are from the 1/2 in. and the fuse. is from the 3/4 in. for more strength and stiffness.
Wingspan is 30 In. and weight without batt is a little over a 1 lb.
It's a bit crude but makes up for it in its flyability.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3DR1 tripe 001.JPG (160.5 KB, 41 views)

Gord.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions