Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)
Default Extreme Flight Reviews.

OK most of you regulars know I have only been in the hobby for for 3-1/2 years and FWIw only have 5 planes, 3 of which are HH Foamies. Twisted Hobbys Crack YAK Foaming and my best is PA Addiction X which I really like. My interest are 3D at this point.

I am going to Joe Nall coming up in May and will be looking to buy my 6th plane a 3D electric model so Joe Nall should have all the vendors as I am told, never been. Like my PA Addiction X, I am looking at quality composite balsa construction. But not enough experience to know who the quality players are.

Extreme Flight has caught my attention. Anyone care to comment either way or other manufactures to consider? Right now Extreme Flight 48 inch EXP series and PA Kantana have my interest.

THX

Dereck
Old 01-03-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

You wont go wrong with EF. Aside from PA, I can't really think of any other recognized players in the balsa market. My impression of the two is PA for very light floaty stuff and EF for high energy acrobatics.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Club: Alpine Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

3kW 
Friends: (2)

ExtremeFlight is generally regarded as among the best brands in RC to purchase from and there is a plentiful wealth of information about almost every one of their models on the web.

Team Hitec, Customer Service Representative
Team Aerobeez Pilot
Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
My impression of the two is PA for very light floaty stuff and EF for high energy acrobatics.
You are pretty much dead on about PA, at least in my experience with the Addiction X. It floats great and super easy to land at zero ground speed without a lot high alpha. Never has Tipped Stalled on me. It will also scream and fly on rails if you want. Super easy plane to fly. If not so dang expensive would be a great trainer. I cannot say enough good things about it. Only negative thing I can say about it, it is nick picking, is the Pull-Pull Rudder. The servo is in the motor box. You have to take the Cowl off and the Pull-Pull hardware is upside down so you have to remove it to adjust it. PIA, but good to go once you get it setup the second time after the kevlar thread is stretched out and broke in.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
ExtremeFlight is generally regarded as among the best brands in RC to purchase from and there is a plentiful wealth of information about almost every one of their models on the web.
THX. Do you or anyone else know which are the better models in the EXP 48-inch models. I guess I mean easiest to fly. All are roughly the same price. I think they are Extra, Edge, Lazer, MXS, Vanquish, and Yak....

I like the looks of the Edge 540 and Extra 300.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

From what I understand, and what was recommended to me for beginning, would be the Edge, after that would be the Extra. Keeping it with a light power system definitely has its advantages but on 4s (and upper end of 3s) these can pull some pretty violent maneuvers. They really are a blast to fly.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
From what I understand, and what was recommended to me for beginning, would be the Edge, after that would be the Extra. Keeping it with a light power system definitely has its advantages but on 4s (and upper end of 3s) these can pull some pretty violent maneuvers. They really are a blast to fly.
Thanks Birddog. I have seen the Edge in action up close and personal last Sunday. Santa gave one to one of our club members who is a great 3D pilot. I looked at the plane up closely and was impressed with the quality and thus the reason for my inquiry. Quality is as good as PA minus a little Carbon Fiber. Really liked the skin on the thing, G10 the same thing they use on Military and knife handles. Seem to recall also used on Handgun and Riffle frames. Tuff and lite stuff.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I have both EF and PA ..... EF is the heavier.

Do I like them ? Actually not as much as I hoped.

One brand I am getting to really like is VQ - but I don't think you will see them at Joe Nall.

Another but now only seen as old stock via HK etc - is Hyperion. Hyperion basically started the CF / Wood composite construction game that PA has developed on.

But if I had to choose from only EF and PA .... EF would win hands down. Fed up with repairing my PA Katana such that now its virtually a static model.

Nigel

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I have the 48" EF Edge and the Laser. Both are great planes, you cant go wrong with either of them, they are the best in class as far as I'm concerned. If you want an easy to fly 3D model that's forgiving at the slower end of the flight envelope then the Edge is the one to go for. The differences between them are quite subtle but the Laser (and the other models in the EF 48" range) excel a little more in the 'high energy' end of the spectrum. That's not to say they wont do the low and slow stuff, they will and very well, but they aren't quite as forgiving around the stall as the Edge.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions