Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #276
petejulie

Friends: (0)
Default Sesbee question

Just found this thread all too late since Iím nearly completed my Seabee from Tom Mountjoy plans. Was quite a challenge and my friends think Iím nuts, probably correct? But itís been fun.
If any of you ďBeeĒ cats out there have built from these plans I have a question about the wing float struts. On the plans I found these struts waaaaaay too long and Iíve taken about two inches off. Still, comparing them to the hundreds of full scale pictures, they appear to be too long. I hate to get to the lake and find I have a bad situation.
I now have the very bottom of the float at the level of the wing strut attach point on the fuse. I note
The full scale birds have as least one float out of the water at rest unloaded static. If I canít get any info from someone who has successfully flown this aircraft from water Iíll go with this setting.
Pete Berard
Can't figure how to post pic??
Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #277
michaely

hi Pete and all,

I agree.... the sponsons in the Montjoy plans appear to be too long and the height should be shortened.

How is the all up weight of your model and how are you powering it?

I've had the RCM/Tom Montjoy plans since RCM published them in January, 1977 but have not been brave enough to attempt it.... yet.

Btw, for others, you can download these plans from outerzone.co.uk, it's plan #946.

The wing loading and getting the center of gravity right are, imho, the big issues, in a model with only 331sq. inches of wing area in 51/52 inches of wingspan.

Bill, who did the extensive build log in this thread, on this size of the model, said his AUW was 5 pounds and said the wing loading was around 25oz/sq.in., but my arithmetic translates those figures to a wing loading of around 34 oz./sp. ft. Even with a symmetrical/lifting stab airfoil, that's a high wing loading, in my opinion.
I do very much like the many stringers Bill used on the tail plane surfaces - in addition to simulating the metal covering that building technique likely reduced the rear end weight.
I also like the support he gave to the sponsons with the 2/56 threaded rods joining the sponson supports to the wing struts.

"E-Challenged", who has posted in this thread, has said in rcgroups posts that he believes Tom Mountjoy used a removeable 9", lead tipped boom mounted on the nose, to get the center of gravity right. Tom mentions this as a possibility in the RCM construction article and gave an AUW of 56 to 72 ounces and a wing loading of 24 to 31 oz/sq ft., using a S.T. 23 two stroke glo engine.

If one blew up the Montjoy plans by 20%, you would arrive at a span of 61-62" and a wing area of 477sq. inches, an increase of 43%. If you could achieve a AUW of 6 pounds, the wing load would be 29 oz/sq ft, still on the high side but better on a larger model and probably achievable using conventional construction methods.

For a 51-52"/331sq. in. wingspan model, apart from having removeable landing gear, I would, in addition to Bill's tailplane building methods, try to eliminate weight by substituting laminated balsa/carbon veil formers for plywood, reduce the balsa sheeting thickness, etc. Still challenging.

good luck and yes, Pete, let's see some photos, either here or links to wherever you can post them.

Michael
Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #278
petejulie

Default Seabee build

Hello Michael.
The plans Iím building from are 60 inch wing span. I donít know when or where they were expanded but, I definitely wanted at least that much wing. I am using electric power and originally planned for, and purchased a rather heavy 40/50 size motor. I say originally planned, because I recently repowered a Bipe that was flown 40 years ago with 60 Enya glow fuel engine. The electric motor way out preformed the glow unit. So, Iíll now reconsider and likely go down to aprox 30 size with a 3000 2S battery to save weight. Flight times should be 5 minutes or so with average use of throttle, plenty for me. We have a place on a lake where I fly my float planes, so I doubt Iíll ever use it on land.
Weight? Fully covered and with all gear except battery and motor came in at 3# 6 oz. It will definitely need nose weight, and lots of it. I did note the instructions suggested a nose boom. I canít handle the looks of such, so Iíll pay the weight premium. Also, Iím thinking about mounting the motor in the far front as allowed, still hide it under the cowling, with a drive shaft bearing and mount at the trailing edge. Still figuring the mount out and may experiment with nylon. Just donít know about the life expectancy of such, so Iíll do a lot of bench testing first. If you are contemplating a build, I have improvised a method that insures correct alignment of the fuse in a jig. That was a prerequisite for me before I would attempt building because of the difficulty with that fuselage. What with everything round there is no reference. Itís a bit unusual but worked super great. If I can get some pictures on this site Iíll include them in the future, or if I can get your email address itíd be a piece of cake. I think you will be much more inclined to attempt the task. One has to build this boat, like a boat.
Yours
Pete
berard_m@bellsouth.net
PS....Still can't add pics!!!! Contact me at he above for pics.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #279
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

I'm still fascinated with Seabees but haven't started a build yet. Looks like Bill G has never flown his beauty and it may be hanging from a ceiling somewhere. If I ever do build this design, I plan to have removable landing gear for water or land ops. This would avoid weight and complexity of scale-like Seabee retracts.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #280
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)

Wonder if Petejulie ever completed his Seabee? Wish people would "give closure" to these build threads. No shame in letting a model be a "ceiling queen"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered