Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by ironbinder View Post
Anyone done any quality compare? (the stock Phantom w/camera, vs. Phantom with a Gopro on mount)
Anyone else?
I have done some extensive comparing, and can tell you the basic differences in bullets:

Phantom:
  • Uses anyone's battery (2200~2800 mAh)
  • Has a Zenmuse gimbal option (and lots of aftermarket choices too)
  • Can use anyone's props (like carbon fiber)
  • Low initial cost
  • Uses GoPro cameras (you already have)

Phantom Vision
  • Uses proprietary battery
  • Camera built in (no gimbal)
  • Wifi connectivity to your smart phone
  • $1200 (ouch)
  • Longer flight times (good, 'cause the Phantom battery is $150, another 'ouch'))
  • proprietary props (you need to get replacement nuts if you want to use other props like carbon fiber)

They are both using the Naza V2, same TX config, and fly the same. You can buy 6 batteries for the Phantom for the price of 1 for the Vision.

For the same money, you can get a fully loaded Phantom with gimbal and FPV, to use your GoPro, or get a Vision to use your phone. For still photography, you can live without a gimbal. For video, I.M.O a gimbal is essential if you want to watch it later. The Vision's camera is quite capable, but suffers compared to the GoPro's low light capability. 14MP is pretty impressive for the Vision's camera that does have the ability to tilt down, but with a gimbal on the Phantom, you can go full vertical down, and up, above horizontal.

There are a few more points, but those are the main ones.

Hit me up PM if you want some more detail and some pricing deals.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
ironbinder

Friends: (0)
Default Re- Phantom vs. Phantom vision

Thanks,
ok, so you said the Phantom Vision does not have a 'gimble' "Camera built in (no gimbal)" on your list of pros and cons.
but you also say that you can 'tilt down' to veiw. So I am assuming that you mean it is a very limited gimble. With very limited movement, like only downwards a few degrees?
And it sounds like the Vision is more expensive. (Yeah, I saw the price on Amazon)
So is it still cheaper to build up a regular Phantom even after purchasing the gimbal and all the controls?
I only have a spektrum DX6. So from what I have heard I am limited to controlling other features like gimbal control and other stuff.
I guess I need to get a DX8.

Ok so I found this here on Amazon, on DJI's storefront there.
DJI Phantom Quadcopter V.1.2 for GoPro, comes with 2 lipo batts. @ 2200mAh and upgraded carbon fiber blades, plus the transmitter, current list price is $549.00

I wonder if it is possible to get longer flight times with higher capacity lipos, ? or will they fit, or even work?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #28
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Thanks,
ok, so you said the Phantom Vision does not have a 'gimble' "Camera built in (no gimbal)" on your list of pros and cons.
but you also say that you can 'tilt down' to veiw. So I am assuming that you mean it is a very limited gimble. With very limited movement, like only downwards a few degrees?
And it sounds like the Vision is more expensive. (Yeah, I saw the price on Amazon)
So is it still cheaper to build up a regular Phantom even after purchasing the gimbal and all the controls?
I only have a spektrum DX6. So from what I have heard I am limited to controlling other features like gimbal control and other stuff.
I guess I need to get a DX8.

Hey here is the Phantom with the gopro mount here on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AGOSQI8/...=IUACNJI6QDL35

so Is this the newer one you where talking about? It is alot cheaper than the Vision.
OH Yes and BTW I will be using it almost Exclusively for VIDEO. So I want a good gimble.

Also You noted the longer flight times with the Vision. Is it possible to buy really good high capacity lipo's for the Regular Phantom to get the longer flight times?

The Phantom(s) come with a real capable 7ch TX, unless you are totally in love with the Spektrum, theres no real need to change it. I own several super quality radios, but still use the DJI TX it comes with by choice.

Yes you can do high quality batteries (I love the Dinogy 2800's) to increase flight times, but you are limited due to the space in the body, what you do is buy 5 or 6 batteries and have over an hour of flight time available... Besides, video clips of 10 minutes are big enough anyway...

Gimbal's are typically stabilized, so being able to just tilt the camera down really isn't a true 'gimbal' on the Vision.

I'm a DJI Dealer, so if you want any more detail don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #29
ironbinder

Also I wanted to ask you about the GPS return home feature, (I am assuming it comes with the PH.2 stock) I have read on reviews on Amazon and other places that people have had problems with the return home not working. Some have lost their Phantom's with their GoPro's attached, bummer. They would just take off and go somewhere else, I know that the answer is probably that it is the user's fault and it is user error.
But have their been instances where the GPS literally just totally screwed up and went haywire? Are any of these claims legit?

Also , who makes the best prop balancer for the unique design of the Phantom 2 blades? ( I have read elsewhere people have had a hard time finding the right balancer for these type of props)

thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #30
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Well I have had my hands on over 100 phantoms, and I have never seen a fly away... BUT... that does not mean it couldnt happen.

I will tell you that if you go through the proper power on sequence (and with the P2 its impossible to do it wrong) home, will always be where you take off from. The latest firmware upgrades allow you to select RTH from the right switch, not just by turning off the TX as was in the first versions. I do the RTH demo with each unit to ensure its working great.

DJI says the props are balanced, but you can 'pop' the hub out of the prop and use a regular balancer, then pop the hub back in. You can also use aftermarket props as long as you get some prop nuts since the motor hub's did not change.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #31
ironbinder

Hey, concerning the stock Transmitter that comes with the DJI Phantom 2. Does the toggle for controlling the Gimbal have proportional adjustment dials? Is it proportional?
So you can control the degrees of angle more accurately and smoothly?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #32
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Hey, concerning the stock Transmitter that comes with the DJI Phantom 2. Does the toggle for controlling the Gimbal have proportional adjustment dials? Is it proportional?
So you can control the degrees of angle more accurately and smoothly?

Indeed it does! There is a lever that is on the back side of the TX, that you use your little finger (or ring finger) on that is quite controllable. AND, you can even adjust the rate of camera change. You can make it tilt up and down very slowly to near instant. Pure cinematic genius.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-12-05 at 21.31.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	172264

Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #33
altereddezignz

I had one. They are really fun.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #34
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Ok, being a leader in the industry, DJI has added some restrictions into the latest firmware... yes, I said RESTRICTIONS!

Watch this!

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #35
ironbinder

Default Carbon Fiber Props

So well after 5 month of using my PT2, I have come to the conclusion not to use carbon fiber props anymore. My shell is full of fractures and cracks of the fuselage of the PT2 (Phantom2). It is fractured all over the place, and 4 of my screw holes for the motor mounts are totally shattered.

I have not been crashing it for the last 2 months.
When I was learning I was in the football field that has the best softest turf in Napa County, well watered and cut high, very soft. I did have some landing tip overs there when I was landing. And it wobbled out of the sky from 30' once. I had carbon props then.
Since I have switched back to stock DJI props, I have had more stability and no wobbling.

From the research I have done online and even people here admit. Carbon blades, don't flex. The are like steel so they are transmitting all the energy of vibration down into the fuselage.
The stock plastic props flex, give. They move the craft slower, that is fine for videography.
The carbon props are for stunts. And you only get maaayybe 1 or 2 minutes more flight time.
So basically I would just stick with the stock props.
When I build my own quad, I may get carbon, later. I'll use a stronger fuselage, that's for sure.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors