Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
Thanks guys

dhawk - I did a low wing version - see post 13 above. It's a pretty good flyer as long as the wind isn't too strong.
After building a couple wings with a full airfoil i will never go back to any kind of flat wing . I know its just me and my old ways but a flat wing or even a profile plane drives me nuts. I love your full fuse but i think it would look better and fly better with a full airfoil wing. Most here including dgjessing have built more in foam than me because i started only less than a year ago but when i picked up how to bend $tree foam over with out breaking it to make a wing i will never go back. I would like to see your low wing bird with a full airfoil wing. joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wing build.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	166403
Click image for larger version

Name:	airfoil wing 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	166404
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
when i picked up how to bend $tree foam over with out breaking it
What's your trick?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #28
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
What's your trick?
You have to cut a V groove on the inside where you want to fold it and then a piece of tape on the outside . Kinda limber it up first by lightly bending around a pipe then fold it over .Here is where i learned while building one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ultron
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #29
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

Flew it today - works great! A bit more wind than you want for a maiden flight, but it did just fine. The power-to-weight ratio is fun - it can climb & climb until just about out of sight in no time at all. Can do HUGE loops . Flies inverted just as well as normal. Definitely my new favorite plane

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #30
dgjessing

More power!

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
dgjessing

OK, one more of these, but that's it!

This one is going to be identical to the last except for having a wing with a "proper" airfoil rather than the KF style of all the others. I'm just curious what difference it makes.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
dgjessing

Moving right along! Hoping for a maiden flight tomorrow afternoon.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Friends: (7)

Looking good (and Easter-y)!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #34
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Friends: (6)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
What's your trick?
I like using a heat gun to bend the foam. You have to remove the paper on the inside of the wing first. Then clamp a straight edge where you want it to bend & heat it up till it bends over. Great thing about it is after its bent it will stay bent. No springback

Im taking what their giving cuz' Im slopeing for a living
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #35
dgjessing

Well there's good news and bad news on the maiden flight(s). The good news is that the thing flies great! The bad news is that the receiver was defective and I lost control a couple times. You'd think that I would not have flown again after the first mishap, eh? Well, it wasn't apparent that the radio failed the first time. I was right on the end of the expected battery duration, and it seemed to loose power. So I was making some fairly tight dead-stick turns to try to avoid trees when suddenly the motor came back on line and I plowed into a bunch of bushes. No damage at all . So I took it up again - this time it was obvious that the radio failed because I had some good altitude, it was early in the flight, and the plane just didn't respond anymore when I got a good distance out. I cut the throttle (not sure if that instruction got through) and watched it crash. Came in nose first and cracked the firewall. The motor seems to be OK, although the shaft was pushed in a ways. Minor cracks in the wing, already fixed. I've swapped out the Orange Rx for another, known to be good. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #36
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I've swapped out the Orange Rx for another, known to be good. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow.
A lot of guys in my club flying those 100 MPH foamie jets are using the low cost Spektrum receivers. A few more $$$. But, zero problems.

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...rodID=SPMAR400

Interesting youtube test of these receivers. It's only a sample of two units, but did provide useful information.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOXDGgIh8

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #37
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

A sprektrum reciever will cost a little more (well alot) but i wont use any orange recievers in my scratch builds . I fly a plane till i get sick of it then take the reciever out for my new build. I think they sell a better reciever from hobbyking now but i have not tried one yet ,still waiting to hear how they work from the guys who bought them first. joe
Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #38
dgjessing

I've got 8 Orange receivers in use currently - this is the only one that I've had a problem with. I replaced it and flew the plane again today (following a range test!) - no problems at all this time.

The plane flies great! It's definitely faster, and smoother in flight than the KF wing version. It's a real floater with the power off, and can maintain altitude and just a little throttle (20% or so). It was too windy to fly much today though - I decided to quit while I was ahead .

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #39
dgjessing

Moving right along! Hoping for a maiden flight tomorrow afternoon.

This poor old thing is still kickin', in spite of being badly damaged & rebuilt several times . Now it's going to become a float plane .

December in Ohio may seem like an odd time to become interested in this, but what's happened is that my club, who's field is adjacent to a big lake/reservoir, recently got permission to use the public beach for flying during the off season (November through April). So:

The foam floats add about 4 oz - I hope it's got enough ass to get up in the air... The "steps" are right at the CG, where they are supposed to be, as I understand it . That little white rectangle directly below the rudder is a water rudder. Maiden flight tomorrow, if all goes well.

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
nuteman

about 14-15 oz without battery
Ahhhh, now I understand. I thought all the previous weight mentions were WITH battery, and I was wondering how you got it to be so darn light for a 40 inch wingspan conventional layout (and wondering what was I doing wrong).
My 2200 mAh battery weighs 6 ounces, so it's a HUGE portion of the airplane's weight. But I just hate having to change batteries every five minutes (like I do with my 1200 mAh battery), so I guess I'll live with it.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
nuteman

It's definitely faster, and smoother in flight than the KF wing version.
You know, I hear more and more people saying this. I thought I was imagining the difference because I like real airfoils. Supposedly, at model Reynolds numbers the difference is negligible for glide ratio. While that may be true, the handling/dynamic characteristics do seem to be significantly different. I too found that the KFM is noticeably more twitchy (even a KFM3).
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #42
dgjessing

Well it did indeed manage to take off from the water one time (out of perhaps ten attempts). The issue seems to be that the front of the floats get swamped during the take off run, which in turn makes the prop hit the water, which of course makes things worse . The one success was a fluke, I guess; perhaps a little gust of wind just happened at the right time...

The good news is it flies just fine once it's up. Kinda slow with all that additional stuff to drag around, but fine. And the water rudder works great!

This evening I have added some horizontal fins to the front portions of the floats. They are angled up from the water line to the top surface in front. The theory is that they will keep the nose of the floats from dipping under water.

We'll try it again soon .

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #43
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Hi Dave ... I know it sounds wrong ... but best is when there is a light chop to the water .. Flat calm is actually not as good as first thought. The small wavelets actually help the floats 'unstick'.

I have a set of HK floats for my Cessna I keep meaning to fit ... then I can fly out of my backgarden ...

Just need to sort how I can still access battery etc. to change it ... and keep all dry.

My backyard ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #44
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

Dave,

How wide are those floats? Hard to tell from the picture but they look pretty narrow...but maybe not...if so, the horizontal fins should help...

Well it did indeed manage to take off from the water one time (out of perhaps ten attempts). The issue seems to be that the front of the floats get swamped during the take off run, which in turn makes the prop hit the water, which of course makes things worse . The one success was a fluke, I guess; perhaps a little gust of wind just happened at the right time...

The good news is it flies just fine once it's up. Kinda slow with all that additional stuff to drag around, but fine. And the water rudder works great!

This evening I have added some horizontal fins to the front portions of the floats. They are angled up from the water line to the top surface in front. The theory is that they will keep the nose of the floats from dipping under water.

We'll try it again soon .
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #45
dgjessing

They are only 1 1/2" wide - more would be better. But the fins seem to have done the trick! A crappy video to prove it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9d...ature=youtu.be

I've learned that water can screw up electronic components . The original receiver got a bit wet and no longer works (hopefully it just needs to dry out...). The replacement is wrapped up in a plastic sandwich bag. And now I think the ESC is a little flaky for the same reason - motor doesn't run properly (but everything else works). I nosed over on a landing .

I may have to do a new plane with water-tightness in mind .

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #46
DEG
AMA 16634

Friends: (8)

Corrosion X
Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #47
dgjessing

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Corrosion X
I'm too cheap for that - how about the plastic bags that APC props come in?

The receiver and the ESC all nice and cozy in plastic bags . That note to self on the battery hatch is because I don't know how many amps the esc is rated for... It's salvaged, and the label was gone. I suspect it's a bit under-sized. It *can* handle 10 seconds of balls-to-the-wall though, so we should be able to take off then cut back .

If the weather cooperates I'll try it again tomorrow. Winter has to happen pretty soon here though...

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #48
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Winter ....

The river at back of my place freezes to over a metre thick .. and the ice fishing boys sit out there for hours ...

You have really got me going to fit my floats ... fly of water or ice ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #49
dgjessing

Nigel - yes, I'm hoping these work on snow

Dave
AMA #56519

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft