Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Bauerjack

Friends: (0)
Default Radian Fuselage Repair

Hello from a newbie!

Long story short, I have a parkzone radian and managed to pile drive it into the ground. The fuselage is basically snapped in half.

I have ordered another one but because this is a clean break, id like to either glue it back together (which I did think will be strong enough) or wrap the fuselage in covering used for aeroplane building etc.

Is this possible or is it not worth it?

Thanks

Shane
Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

totally possible. Gorilla glue is most commonly used, Epoxy will also work. Just use a couple of kabob skewers or wood chop sticks as braces stab them in one half smear glue stab other half over that. Dry fit first

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Bauerjack

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
rubberducky

View rubberducky's Gallery6

hello,
take Polyurethane Glue ... that works best with EPS, Styropor, Elapor, Arcel and other foams

- sorry for my english ...: Jürgen, Bonn, Germany -
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
BigB
ATC to Pilot

Club: BigB's

5 Minute Epoxy and Fiberglass...

Really Tough Stuff - Stronger than Stock..

I also recommend adding some Epoxy every inch along the pushrod tubes since they are the only thing that adds stability to the tail section...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (9)

The recommended glue for the Radian is regular CA. I would suggest medium CA with kicker.

Things to watch.

Most critical is making sure the fuselage will be straight. Do a dry set-up with tape and see if it is going to be straight. Site down the center from top and bottom as well as long each side. If any of those are off, the plane will not fly properly.

Foam compresses so make sure you have gotten all the compression otherwise your fuse will not be straight. If it is compressed, use hot water to expand it. Search on "Elapor Soup". Elapor is the foam that is used in the Easy Glider. It is similar to the Zfoam used in the Radian. Many of the same repair methods will apply here.

You should not need a lot of seam reinforcement as long as the foam joints are tight.

Just make sure it is straight!

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Hotwheels

Any other parts break in your crash? I am wondering what spare parts I should order with the plane.
Thanks
JR
Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Bauerjack

Only the canopy.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
eghershey

I've repaired two Radians using foam safe CA. As mentioned above, insure your get things put back together straight. Both had the rear third of the fuselage tweeked a bit. I used the nylon strapping tape to run the length of the fuselage to first pull it back straight on the side and added another strip on the other side for strength. Doesn't look bad and they both fly just like new again.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (9)

I had a crash and tore the nose off. Fixed it today with thick CA and kicker. Went together fine and no problems with the foam. Seems strong.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
MS_in_NY

Friends: (2)

I just completed a fairly extensive repair on a Radian fuse (3 pieces) and I will add my vote for white gorilla glue. Fantastic stuff for foam especially if chips or even small chunks of foam are missing.

I use a spray bottle to mist one side of the joint with water, put glue on the other side, push parts together and then take clear 2 inch shipping tape and tape over the joint tight and flat. The gorilla glue expands almost like foam and fills in voids. The tape also keeps the outside surface flat so no sanding of the expanded glue is necessary. It's kind of a three handed operation so it might pay to enlist help with the taping.

Keep an eye on the inside of the joint for the first hour or so. The glue will bubble up into good sized nodules inside the fuse and could interfere with replacing the battery or other components. If you catch them before they harden you can press them flat with your finger. Or wipe them out with a paper towel if it's very early in the process.

I filled a thumb sized dent in the leading edge of one of my wings the same way. You can barely tell it was repaired. So far I've been pulling the tape off after about two or three hours. The glue does stick to the tape but with carefull pulling the tape comes away and leaves a flush surface. Don't know what might happen if you left the tape on overnight.

I ran 3/4 inch threaded strapping tape along the bottom seam and on the sides from nose to tail. Also added thick CA at a couple spots along the pushrod tubes. The fuselage is noticeably stiffer and the CG wasn't altered much at all.

.....Mike
Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Radian_flyer

Default First Radian Flight...'Fun and Damage to Remember'

Okay...I bought a PZ Radian about two mos ago. Yeah...so you can figure how antsy I have been to fly it. It came with a defective battery and Horizon Hobby replaced it courteously and VERY fast.

So...I live about 5 minutes from an awesome place for gliders. Powell Butte in SE Portland OR. the wind was a slightly variable 10 to 12 mph when I got there and outside of a few light smacks as I got the elevator adjusted right...I actually did okay for my first RC time out in the real world. I have been practicing on the flight sim for a couple months mostly to get the reverse mentality of control switching correct and automatic in my head.

I also am aware of the differences in upwind and downwind flying so even that did not cause me much problems...UNTIL it started gusting higher and the wind got a bit switchy. It was just too hard to gauge when and when not to have the motor on or how fast or correct bank angles once the wind started gusting(I'd say to 15 mph).

I knew that I should keep the plane in front of me and the attack/bank angles low due to the wind. And I actually soared the glider for a minute or so at a time(first time out remember). But a couple times I almost lost it down wind and slowly brought it back around into the wind and then hit the motor full on to bring it back. GREAT penetration I would say! Which I was REAL happy to see as otherwise I may have not gotten the plane back...or soon!

Downsides are: I landed in a tree I had to climb to get my plane out(no damage from). I smacked the rocky shoulder of the ONLY road(!!!)in a HUGE area of long grass(figures!). Which the impact compacted the wing forward section of the fuse and bent it very slightly to one side. And I whacked a sign post...again...the ONLY sign anywhere around. amazingly no damage on that. When I whacked into the rocky road it also broke and ejected about a 2" section of the top bridging piece that holds the wing in.

I had the presence of mind to have some 2" packing tape and after a little bit of taping I could fly some more. Actually got my best soaring flight after the tape job. But then i figured...okay...enough is enough given the wind and left. Now I have to go buy some "white gorilla glue" (thanks for the tip)and repair. the "kabob skewers' idea is a good one too. My fuse front will need it now.

WHEN the sun is out here in the winter...it is generally with wind. I just could not wait any longer to fly! I has some wrecks but I actually kept my head and did well given the new plane, gusty conditions that came on. the repairs are slight and I will make the fuse stronger as well. I am ordering a new fuse to get fixed up and keep ready.

Even in wind(when it was not gusty but staying between 10-12 mph...I did not find this plane overwhelming. I even threw it around a bit more than maybe I should have to see how it handled the wind from all directions and with/without the motor. I cannot wait to fly it again in either non wind(though I prefer to have some wind I think)and on a NON gusty day. We get those kinds of days in summer.

I enjoy reading about your experiences with the Radian. I was SO stoked to get this plane and now I am even more stoked to keep on flying it. Even with the crashes...I had a blast with it.

I found that in the wind conditions I was in I had to set the elevator about 3 degrees down to maintain level flight into the wind. And even on the 'low' control setting...VERY little up elevator was needed to nose up the plane. I would almost prefer ailerons for pitch control for that reason alone. Just gotta get used to how sensitive the elevator is on this plane. That was the hardest thing for me as I am used to ailerons(on sim anyway).

I kinda bought this plane(a glider)so that I did not have to drive out of town so much to have fun! Between biking and getting better on this Radian...I will be a Powell Butte a lot! There is a GREAT soaring ridge there...but it has several low fences in front of it...so I do now want to fly the ridge until I KNOW I can keep it on the ridge.

also...if you have not seen it...go to youtube and search: 'Radian with Keychain Camera' VERY cool! I got one and had it glude to the cockpit but I oopsed and got it too close to the propeller so I had to take it off for now. also...if you get one of those cameras...I would advise you get it from 'metapark' on ebay as opposed to a US dealer(they charge way too much). You can get them for under $15.00 shipped...and then put in your own micro SD card. Check it out on youtube if you get time.

I will post vids when I get the plane fixed and the camera back on.

sorry for the long first post!!!! Just wanted to weigh in on my first Radian outing.

Lee
Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 AM   #13
PeterGregory
CrossThread Industries

Club: Mid Hudson RC Society, Mid Hudson Model Masters
Default Zombie Thread : )

Can you post those videos from your Radian? : )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170511_192157.jpg (3.07 MB, 61 views)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 AM   #14
Panther

View Panther's Gallery6
Friends: (1)

That was posted about 7 years ago so I doubt you will get any response.
He only ever posted once.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:08 AM   #15
PeterGregory
CrossThread Industries

Club: Mid Hudson RC Society, Mid Hudson Model Masters

Hi Panther - I saw the date and gave it a try with a smile - a zombie thread - any sign of life? Sometimes I get a response on old threads. I feel behind the times, just getting into a (well used) radian, while this gent has probably moved onto other hobbies, in the meantime.

Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete
Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Hehehe!

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes

Tags
fuselage , radian , repair