President FMA, Inc.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Sneak Peek at the NEW Revolectrix BUMP Controller
Welcome to the new thread dedicated entirely to an open discussion about the new Revolectrix BUMP Controller. Not only is this thread about an exciting new product, it represents a new concept for battery maintenance. For those readers who may not be familiar with Revolectrix, Revolectrix is a brand that represents a partnership between the U.S.-company FMA, Inc. (also known as FMA Direct) and Leo Energy, LLC of Singapore. FMA, Inc. has a long track record of designing cutting-edge products for the worldwide R/C hobby market. Since 2007, our partnership with Leo Energy has enabled us to focus on what we do best; engineer innovative products, while Leo’s main focus has been to oversee manufacturing in Indonesia. Our products, branded Revolectrix, are offered for sale and supported worldwide to R/C hobby dealers as well as to direct retail consumers via two webstores; the “REVO Singapore” webstore and the “REVO USA” webstore. Leo Energy maintains the REVO Singapore store; shipping globally from Indonesia. FMA, Inc. maintains the REVO USA store; shipping products to North and South America from Maryland. Unlike many of our competitors, who leave testing to their unsuspecting customer base, FMA, Inc. has a long-standing tradition of thoroughly and diligently beta testing our new designs using teams composed of carefully-selected, qualified candidates, to ensure they work as advertised when they hit the streets. Collectively, the group chosen to beta test the new BUMP Controller represents decades of modeling experience and employment within the field of electronic instruments and testing. This unique thread is being started, and is fully-sanctioned and supported by FMA, Inc., but it will be monitored by the beta team. You are invited to ask technical questions or inquire about available features to your heart’s content. Answers will be supplied by team members who now have logged cumulatively, thousands of happy hours with the prototypes each has received. Over the past several months, their inputs have helped shape the user interface and feature-set of the BUMP Controller. From time-to-time, members of the engineering team, including myself, may step in to offer assistance in this regard; however, for the most part, this is their thread. ENJOY!
Meet the Beta Team:
But before you start asking questions, take a quick look at the current specifications and the feature set of this ground-breaking new battery management system:
WHAT IS “BUMP” ?
BUMP is an exclusive new Revolectrix concept for Battery Management. The BUMP Controller utilizes Near Field Communication (NFC) Technology to communicate with any battery equipped with a BUMP Compliant Tag, or “BumpTag”. The BumpTags will be pre-installed and pre-configured on most Revolectrix batteries in the near future. BumpTags will also be available for sale separately, so a customer can configure them for use with any battery of his choosing using the BUMP Controller. Once a tag is programmed for any given battery, a simple “BUMP” of the battery on the BUMP Controller configures any Revolectrix PowerLab Battery Workstation to the ideal settings for performing all battery management tasks. The BUMP Controller can independently address up to 4 PowerLab units (or channels of the Dual PowerLab 8) – each PowerLab connected is able to operate completely independent of the others.
• Simple, intuitive color touchscreen user interface
• Complete charger setup with a simple "bump" of the battery ... just bump, connect, and press Start
• No need to configure or select presets although native PowerLab operation is still possible for non-BumpTag equipped batteries
• Optimizes charger settings for each individual battery, speeds up the charging setup process
• Reduces accidental mistakes that could lead to expensive (and potentially dangerous) battery damage
• Automatic calculation for parallel charging, even for different battery capacities and C-ratings
• Each BumpTag contains the full factory ratings of the battery (write-once), as well as user preferences and settings that can be changed at any time
• Each BumpTag contains a unique ID which enables automatic battery history and performance tracking – battery cycle history is automatically cached and uploaded to the mobile app whenever it connects via Bluetooth
• Works with all existing Revolectrix Cellpro PowerLab 6, PowerLab 8v2, and Dual PowerLab (8x2) Battery Workstations
• Connect up to 4 PowerLab Workstations to a single BumpController (any combination of PL models)
• Supported Chemistries: LiPo (including LiHV), LiFe, Li-Ion, NiMH, NiCd, and Pb
• Supported Operations: Accurate Charge, Normal Charge, Fastest Charge, Discharge, Storage Charge, Analyze Cycle
• Analyze Cycle allows battery performance characteristics (Fuel Table, actual capacity, IR, etc.) to be stored back to the BumpTag for accurate fuel level and cycle time estimates
• The Bump Controller can serve as a remotely-mounted user interface for the PowerLab Battery Workstations, allowing the chargers to be completely hidden inside a charging case or beneath charging tables/benches. This frees up valuable workspace for batteries, connectors, adapters, parallel adapters, etc.
• High-brightness, 2.8" QVGA TFT LCD with resistive touchscreen
• Integrated BUMP wireless interface for configuring and reading BumpTags on batteries
• Integrated Bluetooth 4.0/LE support for wireless real-time monitoring, control, and firmware upgrades (Android, Apple iOS, and Windows mobile devices)
• Integrated USB port for direct connection to Windows PC for firmware updates, as well as powering/charging mobile devices
• Four (4) 3-wire serial interfaces for connection to PowerLab Workstations (uses standard male-to-male servo connectors/extensions)
• Powerful 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 main processor, plus dedicated co-processors for Bluetooth and NFC
• Wide (10v-52v) input voltage range matches PowerLab Workstations for simple power setup (use standard EC-5 Y-cables to power the Bump Controller and PowerLabs simultaneously)
ROADMAP SOFTWARE FEATURES:
• 4Q 2015 : Windows USB Firmware Update Utility
• 1Q 2016 : Android Charge Control Software (CCS) Client initial release – monitoring, control and firmware updates (Bluetooth LE)
• 1Q 2016 : Bump Controller support for native PowerLab presets (in addition to “BUMP” setup)
• 2Q 2016 : Android CCS Client – battery history, graphing, reporting
• 2Q 2016 : Bump Controller support for native PowerLab options and settings
• 3Q 2016 : Apple iOS Client software initial release (Bluetooth LE)
• 4Q 2016 : Windows Mobile CCS Client (Bluetooth LE)
ESTIMATED INITIAL AVAILABILITY:
4TH Quarter, 2015
DIMENSIONS: 5.3” L x 3.1” W x 1.2” H (including bezel above/around LCD)
Please note: all specifications and features listed above subject to change prior to delivery.
Retail price for the basic unit currently $149.95 on the REVO USA webstore and $144.95 on the REVO Singapore webstore