The fuselage is a sandwich of 3/4" panel insulation foam with dollar tree foam on both sides. The esc, receiver, and servos will be enclosed within. In the picture I'm gluing in two pine "hard points" for wing mounting, and the motor mount. The flat face of the motor mount will get a rounded foam face for streamlining purposes. All the wiring (except the battery connection) will be enclosed. No wing struts - I'll do a carbon fiber spar and attach the wing to the fuselage with two screws. No rudder - the vertical stabilizer will be in two short pieces above and below the horizontal one. The whole thing will be covered in colored packing tape (I went crazy and bought quite an assortment ). I'm debating whether or not to reinforce the "snout" with 1/32" plywood doublers, or to just be careful landing. On the previous version, I left the paper on the dollar tree foam, which adds quite a bit of strength - took the paper off on this one... I dunno.
I *did* decide to add those 1/32" ply doublers to the snout of the fuselage. Just seems prudent, plus I think I'll be needing some weight in front to get the CG right. So here are those clamped in place, plus an 1/8" ply shelf for the wing to mount to, plus a 1/32" ply cap on the aft end of the fuselage to add some strength. Coming along...
I'm using white Gorilla Glue buy the way. I did some test joints with it in foam, and it's pretty impressive, in my humble opinion. (Not their "white glue", but the foamie stuff that "dries white 2x faster".)
Went with black for the fuselage. The servos I'm using are black, the velcro for the battery and the camera is black, I had a black marker to do the exposed wood parts... It'll grow on me I suppose . The wing and tail feathers will be more cheerful - orange or red, I'm thinking.
I put a strip of milk jug plastic on the landing skid - pretty durable and slippery stuff. All the electrics are in place and tested. The motor is an EMAX CF2822 from Value Hobby which, according to their specs, ought to give mass quantities of thrust compared to the expected weight of the plane (I'm guessing 15 oz or so). I'm hoping to be able to gain altitude quickly, then throttle way back and then leisurely cruise around for a good long time.
I think I'm going to fabricate and attach a rearward looking camera mount - other than that the fuselage is done.
It weighs in at 15.9 oz with battery and two keychain cameras on board. The CG feels about right, and with a 3 cell battery it has more thrust than weight (haven't measured any more scientifically than that). The weather is not looking too good for the next several days but I doubt that will stop me from a maiden flight this weekend
Took it out this afternoon in 10-15 mph wind and 32 deg. f temp and it did real well . Climbs nice and fast (almost out of sight in 60 seconds or so (although my eyes were watering in the cold wind)) and cruises at a steady altitude at about 1/3 throttle. Very stable - should make a good camera platform, which is all I was after . I'm pleased! Only flew it twice because my fingers couldn't take the cold.