Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
thaterikperson

Friends: (0)
Default 2nd Stage of Aerobatics

While I've by no means perfected loops and rolls, what are some good aerobatics to try next? I assume there are plenty of maneuvers that are relatively low stress on the plane, but require more coordination than a simple loop or roll.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I got a feeling you really do not know how to Roll yet. Are you doing slow Axial Rolls?

Another easy one is Stall Turns.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Not sure what "2nd stage of aerobatics" implies......however, here's a link to some basic explanations of what acrobatic "implies" regarding RC plane flight......:

http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.co...erobatics.html
Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

It depends what excites you (the hobby is about fun after all).. But inverted flight is an obvious one, providing your model is capable of it.. 'Stall-turns', 'Split-S' and 'Immelmann-turns' are other 'scale' type manoeuvres that you can try.

If you really want to develop your aerobatic skills then proper use of rudder is the thing you must master. A good manoeuvre for learning use of rudder is the four point roll.... That is a roll with a sustained hesitation at each 90 degrees of rotation, the trick being to use rudder to hold the plane in straight and level flight during each hesitation in the roll. Once you have mastered the 4 point roll you can move on to slow rolls (taking several seconds to complete a single roll), then maybe rolling circles but few people ever get good enough to do those well.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Here's a few more useful links to RC plane aerobatic flight.....:

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/cub...erobatics.html

http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/r...erobatics.html

http://www.taphilo.com/rc/maneuver.shtml

http://www.pvmac.com/index.php?optio...d=45&Itemid=37

Each of the above links provide additional information within each category, click through the index's..........As with all advanced flight, the type of craft and pilot skill are dependent on how well the pilot and craft are prepared and the type of radio control system being incorporated (number of channels/programmability, with or without autonomous stability control systems, and environmental conditions).......:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...3d-aerobatics/

Under the proper environmental conditions, correct equipment/set-up applications and type of craft being employed, an "intermediate" pilot will enjoy RC flight with confidence and advance through the basic's seamlessly, provided discipline and patients are applied generously....!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Vic Z

Club: Mt Rainier RC Club
Friends: (1)

What an awesome place to be in your flying experience. Hasn't been too long since I was there myself. I remember needing a football field and 200" of elevation to do an oval and then graduating to my "loop and twirl" stage.
Next for me was Immelmann, cuban 8's, inverted flight, and 45 degree up and down lines.
Enjoy.
What plane do you have?

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #7
thaterikperson

Friends: (0)

Thanks, everyone. I have a Hobbyzone Champ S+ which seems more than capable of the basics.

Stall turns, Immelmanns, and inverted flight sound like the perfect next steps. Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #8
Vic Z

Enjoy the journey

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by thaterikperson View Post
Thanks, everyone. I have a Hobbyzone Champ S+ which seems more than capable of the basics.

Stall turns, Immelmanns, and inverted flight sound like the perfect next steps. Thank you for the suggestions!
You will probably struggle to sustain inverted flight with that plane, the airfoil it uses isn't well suited to inverted flight plus the high wing and dihedral will mean that its constantly trying to turn upright... But trying could be fun!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I read all above and a couple hit the nail on the head ... ENJOY the flying ...

I used to competition fly ... aerobatics, pylon and Scale ... Today I could not fly a pattern to save my life ... depth perception and 'feel' are not there as they used to be.

But I love 'stall turns' or hammerheads as some US cousins call them ... wing overs ... spins ...... and unusual ones more developed for displays to public ... Limbo flying ... banner cutting ...

Who cares if the roll is not axial ... if you're nor flying a Pattern Plane ... you'll be lucky to achieve it anyway ... as JPF said - your model is not designed for 'clean aerobatics' - its what I term a Sunday Sport Flyer.

Because of the model you have ... I would suggest forget "second stage" aerobatics and learn to clean fly and direct absolutely your model to what you want 100% of the time. Very few people actually do that. But once you do - the world of manoeuvres start to open up more.

How many so called intermediate pilots still haul back to do a loop ... I lost count of the number of guys I put my finger behind the elevator stick to stop them hauling back ... to make them expand the loop more ... Once they saw how wide that loop could be ... they went on to use in many other manouevres ....

Don't get hooked up on names .... go out and enjoy !! Last thing you want is like I had ... a Caller and a Flight Schematic while flying a 60 Powered Aerobatic machine ... 3 judges tut tutting by the side !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
Vic Z

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
You will probably struggle to sustain inverted flight with that plane, the airfoil it uses isn't well suited to inverted flight plus the high wing and dihedral will mean that its constantly trying to turn upright... But trying could be fun!

I remember trying to roll with my sportsman. With the high wing and big dihedral, she WAS NOT having it. I spent an entire day trying to wrestle it to its back and everytime i rolled over it headed for the ground. Finally aerodynamics and gravity won out and down she went. That was the day i bought my trojan
Was amazed at how just giving aileron rolled it so easily.
Still love to put the sportsman up on occasion and watch her laze around the sky.
What a great hobby. I'm hooked.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

The usual way to get a too stable model to roll is to fall back on the Rudder Elevator style ...

Dive for speed ... pull up till nose is pitched up maybe 20 - 30 degrees and then full rudder and ailerons if fitted, pulling elevator as you go through the 'barrel' ...

I've rolled some pretty extreme dihedral models in the past !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners