Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
rabbithill17

Friends: (0)
Default Battery Chargers?

So I'm looking around for an rc battery charger but i'm just a bit confused.

I want one for my batteries: Power Cell NiMH Battery - 3000mAh 8.4V 7S iD Stick. I looked through: http://rcjudge.com/lipo-battery-charger/

Would the Tenergy TB6 be a good fit for them? Can anyone give me any pointers?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

There are several types of batteries used in RC

NiCad-- nickel cadmium
NiMH -- Nickel Metal Hydride
Lipo---- Lithium polymer
Life ----Lithium iron
+ others not real common

All take different chargers,

The nickel types are close enough to be charged on the same type, but maybe should have slightly different settings. the most common chargers use a voltage peak sensing system. The voltage across the cell or battery (a pack of cells usually in series) drops slightly after the cells reach full charge, then the charger shuts off.

Lipo's and LiFe again are very similar, but don't charge without the correct settings on a good charger. They must be charged by a voltage controlled system.
Usually the charger puts out 4.2 volts per cell and the current tapers off as the battery gets close to full charge. At 4.2 (Lipo) the charger shuts off

These are really short versions of how the chargers work.
I gave you this because the battery you have is a NiMH and the charger I found on your link is for Lipo's. I can't tell if it has NiMH functions. I am not familiar with it.

You could charge your batteries with any good charger made for, or has NiMH functions.
Do not charge it on a Lipo only charger.

I hope I have helped some, The field of batteries and how to use and charge them, is a big and confusing area. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

In budget terms there is little to beat the '6' range of chargers ... as they are priced to sell ... cover literally any battery you would have ...

I like the Accucel 6 80W charger ... all in for about $30 .... will charge :

NiMH
NiCd
LiFe
LiPo High Voltage
LiPo
Lead Acid sealed and unsealed
LiIon

Not bad for a $30 bit of kit !!

Check out Hobby King for it.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...v-capable.html

It will need a reasonable power supply to power it ... I suggest a 15V 10A as best ... or at least a 12V 10A at minimum to be able to supply the required watts. Ebay is full of them for $10 to $30 depending on watts.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
rabbithill17

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
There are several types of batteries used in RC

NiCad-- nickel cadmium
NiMH -- Nickel Metal Hydride
Lipo---- Lithium polymer
Life ----Lithium iron
+ others not real common

All take different chargers,

The nickel types are close enough to be charged on the same type, but maybe should have slightly different settings. the most common chargers use a voltage peak sensing system. The voltage across the cell or battery (a pack of cells usually in series) drops slightly after the cells reach full charge, then the charger shuts off.

Lipo's and LiFe again are very similar, but don't charge without the correct settings on a good charger. They must be charged by a voltage controlled system.
Usually the charger puts out 4.2 volts per cell and the current tapers off as the battery gets close to full charge. At 4.2 (Lipo) the charger shuts off

These are really short versions of how the chargers work.
I gave you this because the battery you have is a NiMH and the charger I found on your link is for Lipo's. I can't tell if it has NiMH functions. I am not familiar with it.

You could charge your batteries with any good charger made for, or has NiMH functions.
Do not charge it on a Lipo only charger.

I hope I have helped some, The field of batteries and how to use and charge them, is a big and confusing area. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
Thank you! This helped so much. You are correct. I hadn't even noticed.

I looked around and found some more information thanks to this. I really appreciate the help!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
rabbithill17

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
In budget terms there is little to beat the '6' range of chargers ... as they are priced to sell ... cover literally any battery you would have ...

I like the Accucel 6 80W charger ... all in for about $30 .... will charge :

NiMH
NiCd
LiFe
LiPo High Voltage
LiPo
Lead Acid sealed and unsealed
LiIon

Not bad for a $30 bit of kit !!

Check out Hobby King for it.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...v-capable.html

It will need a reasonable power supply to power it ... I suggest a 15V 10A as best ... or at least a 12V 10A at minimum to be able to supply the required watts. Ebay is full of them for $10 to $30 depending on watts.

Nigel
Thank you! From your suggestion I decided to get this
Old 02-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

OK ... nice ... and the price is not so high that if you want to move up in power later - you haven't spent so much.

Its a great charger in the car as well ...

Just remember that you need an XT60 plug to connect your power supply to it ... I just cut the usual plug of a power supply and fitted the XT60 in its place.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

I have this one from Hobbyking. I find it very easy to use. 250 Watt and up to 6 cells, $44.00 + shipping in the US
You can set a charge current, and it will sense the cell count, and charge accordingly, I have a very similar Venom, that does not do this.

This unit is becoming my standard charger, I will buy another soon.
I want the 1000 watt unit someday.

I really like the foam cut program, it regulates the current through the cut wire keeping it just right regardless of length.
I have a home made feather cut machine.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...e-charger.html

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
http://www.pugetsoundsilentflyers.org/
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers