Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #51
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by WildManDriving View Post
Thank you, I've downloaded the softwares and am I right in saying the CellPro10 range don't have Charge Voltage adjustment but still have IR testing and data graph?
I also cannot see the differences between the PL6, PL8 and PL8 v2 other than cell count and wattage. What am I missing there? Either way I think I have found my charger.
Hi:

Thank you, I've downloaded the softwares and am I right in saying the CellPro10 range don't have Charge Voltage adjustment but still have IR testing and data graph?
Yes. This is essentially correct. But the Cellpro 10XP is a bit more advanced than the original Cellpro 10s. You can adjust the Charge Voltage to a degree by selecting from the different presets. In the 10XP, presets carry "Chemistry" as well as different "End Charge Voltage" parameters.

I also cannot see the differences between the PL6, PL8 and PL8 v2 other than cell count and wattage. What am I missing there? Either way I think I have found my charger.

Here are the differences between PL6 and PL8:

Both the Powerlab6 and the Powerlab8 can do 1008 watts with 6s. The Powerlab8 goes up to 1344 watts with 8s packs. On the commonly available server supplies running 24v, the Powerlab6 will give you 860 watts where as the Powerlab8 still gives the full 1008. Charging 3s packs both units will max out at 40 amps to the packs.

The Powerlab8 has 100 watts of discharge capabilities, where the Powerlab6 is 50 watts. The Powerlab6 is considerably smaller than the Powerlab8 which can be a factor when building a charging case.

The other thing that may be important to some is the Powerlab8 can charge without the main leads (balance connector only). The Powerlab6 requires both charge leads and balance tap to charge.

Tim Marks

Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #52
WildManDriving

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Yes. This is essentially correct. But the Cellpro 10XP is a bit more advanced than the original Cellpro 10s. You can adjust the Charge Voltage to a degree by selecting from the different presets. In the 10XP, presets carry "Chemistry" as well as different "End Charge Voltage" parameters.

[/COLOR]
Thank you again, it is so helpful. I read the 10XP CCS manual and see the choices as 4.1, 4.2 and 4.22v.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #53
GooberRC

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:
Here are the differences between PL6 and PL8:

Both the Powerlab6 and the Powerlab8 can do 1008 watts with 6s. The Powerlab8 goes up to 1344 watts with 8s packs. On the commonly available server supplies running 24v, the Powerlab6 will give you 860 watts where as the Powerlab8 still gives the full 1008. Charging 3s packs both units will max out at 40 amps to the packs.
Am I right in saying the lower power output from the PL6 under the circumstances above are due to the 40A input current restriction vs the 60A possible with the PL8?

I have been wrestling with defining a charging setup to get me restarted in the hobby after many years away and I have decided Powerlab is the way to go. I just need to make sure I'm getting the right one so I don't need to upgrade anytime soon.

I'm most definitely playing catch-up as the last time I was flying I was using massive NiMh packs and LiPo was only just starting to show up. My current plan is to primarily fly 3S/6S ships. If I do go beyond 6S it will likely be with smaller packs in series, so I don't foresee a need to charge beyond 6S (or is that a little naive ? ).

To be honest I'm not entirely comfortable yet with the idea of parallel charging. If my understanding is correct, it seems that to do it safely it is best to only charge packs that are at a similar level of discharge. Otherwise you risk damaging the lower voltage cells due to a sudden inrush of current higher than their charge rating. I know that would be a very brief situation as the voltages level out but I guess being new to LiPo and having read so many horror stories I want to be as careful as possible.

That is a long-winded way of saying I'm tending towards charging packs individually, at least to begin with. Of course, I don't have hours to spend watching batteries charge so I want to get it done as quickly as possible. If money were no object the PL8 and a massive power supply would be the answer and I would just grow into it. Money is unfortunately an object To that end I'm thinking about starting out with something like this power supply, which delivers 15V @ 33A. (I have been given some great advice in another thread about using the server power supplies but they seem a little too DIY and perhaps not as safe as a commercial product designed for the task. Wow, I'm just scared of everything aren't I?? ). In time I would bump up the power supply if necessary.

So....if I stick to the 3S/6S plan, will I gain anything by getting the PL8 over the PL6? I'm aware of the higher built-in discharge capability of the PL8 but I expect to add a 12 or 24V field battery to the mix pretty soon so I'll take advantage of the regenerative discharge which both PL6 & PL8 have. I also see that the PL8 can charge via the balance connector only. Why would that ever be of use?

Sorry for the long-winded post
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #54
SteveM732

Yes, the 40A input limit is why the PL8 can charge a 6S pack faster than the PL6. As Tim mentioned, at 3S they'll both charge at the same speed off of a 24V supply.

I have both the PL6 and PL8 and let me tell you, it is a challenge to feed the nearly 1600W that it takes to get the PL8 to a full 1344W output. To get that kind of power you typically need a power supply with a 240V AC input or several RV batteries. Unless you are willing and able to invest in that kind of power supply then the only limitation you'll really see with the PL6 is the 6S limit. I don't see that as much of a limit though as I feel that to get to 7S or higher you should be connecting two packs in series.

Since you're not made of money and linked to a $100 power supply then I suggest you save your coin by getting a PL6 since upgrading to a PL8 later on will be cheaper than upgrading the power supply should you find yourself needing 1500-2000W. Check out the combo package and get the biggest power supply that you can afford: http://www.progressiverc.com/the-tai...00w-combo.html
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #55
GooberRC

Thanks a lot Steve. I wasn't factoring in the efficiency part of the equation so you're absolutely right - no point in having the PL8 when it seems I'll have great difficulty EVER powering the dang thing

Sounds like even with a 24V server power supply or an off-the-shelf 1200W unit I'll still likely have trouble getting the most out of the PL6.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #56
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Yes, the 40A input limit is why the PL8 can charge a 6S pack faster than the PL6. As Tim mentioned, at 3S they'll both charge at the same speed off of a 24V supply.

I have both the PL6 and PL8 and let me tell you, it is a challenge to feed the nearly 1600W that it takes to get the PL8 to a full 1344W output. To get that kind of power you typically need a power supply with a 240V AC input or several RV batteries. Unless you are willing and able to invest in that kind of power supply then the only limitation you'll really see with the PL6 is the 6S limit. I don't see that as much of a limit though as I feel that to get to 7S or higher you should be connecting two packs in series.

Since you're not made of money and linked to a $100 power supply then I suggest you save your coin by getting a PL6 since upgrading to a PL8 later on will be cheaper than upgrading the power supply should you find yourself needing 1500-2000W. Check out the combo package and get the biggest power supply that you can afford: http://www.progressiverc.com/the-tai...00w-combo.html
Check out the price on the Meanwell SE-1000-24.
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...gDrillDownView

I've got the Meanwell 24 Volt, 25 Amp unit that has been flawless over the past year or so. These are dedicated new power supplies, with new warranties.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #57
Gregor

I currently have two Powerlab8s used in different configurations based on the model size. Below is the large setup, four Dell supplies and gives me plenty of power for the field and reduced the dependence on parallel charging.

Below that is the smaller 450 travel kit. One Dell 12v 550 suppy and one Powerlab8. Up to six 3s packs in parallel at 3c each. For my smaller models, mCXP 130x and UMX planes I have a 50 watt laptop supply delivering 15v. I also use a 3s as well as 6s pack to power my Powerlab to charge the smaller packs. Works to have one charge that covers all my models and charging scenarios.

Server supplies are inexpensive and helps keep them out of the land fill. Not to mention they are very high quality, have power factor correction are often better performers that many RC grade supplies. If you don't want to put them together, you can get some plug and play supplies here.

Mark Forsyth http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563369
FeatherMerchant http://feathermerchantrc.com/

My first supply was from FeatherMerchant. I then branched out and picked up some supplies on ebay to play with. I've now wired and assembled several more for myself or friends.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #58
GooberRC

Nice setup Gregor!!

Thanks all for the advice. I believe I have finally made a decision - the PL6 with one of Mark's 24V power supplies. I shouldn't outgrow that anytime soon. Next up - a radio!! I'll either be an expert or brain-dead by the time I get something in the air
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #59
ggcrandall1
8000' and going down fast

Originally Posted by GooberRC View Post
Nice setup Gregor!!

Thanks all for the advice. I believe I have finally made a decision - the PL6 with one of Mark's 24V power supplies. I shouldn't outgrow that anytime soon. Next up - a radio!! I'll either be an expert or brain-dead by the time I get something in the air
What do you think your requirements for a radio system are?
A few things to think about are:
Radio band, 72mhz or 2.4ghz.
Number of channels, 4, 6, 7, more?
Functions, expo, dual rates, mixing, etc.
Number of planes in the memory.

Glen
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #60
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Nice setup Gregor!!

There are a lot of choices for the radio systems. Probably over 99% of the new radios purchased in the USA are using the 2.4 Ghz microwave frequencies.

FYI, the club I belong to is well over 90% Spektrum or JR systems. The one guy who used another well known brand of radio lost a $$$$ wet turbine model when the transmitter just shut off during flight. The transmitter battery was in good shape. That transmitter also shut off twice in my workshop while it was turned on. The transmitter just shut off five or ten minutes even while moving the transmitter sticks. And it most definitely was NOT the battery.

Spektrum/JR has the "Model Match" feature that absolutely prevents you from flying a model with the wrong model programmed into the transmitter. If the transmitter doesn't match the receiver (The binding stuff) the model won't move.

The Spektrum DX7 series is a very good system, I've had two for five trouble free years. Just picked up a DX8, but that is a lot more $$$$.

DennyV
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #61
GooberRC

Hi Glen,
I just picked up the Futaba 8FG with free R617FS receiver for $429 from TowerHobbies. They have a coupon for $50 off a purchase of $400 or more right now so I figured that was about as good a deal as I would likely get for a 14-channel 2.4GHz system. I don't expect to use all 14 channels but I could easily see myself using more than 8 so that eliminated a lot of radios in the 8FG's price range. The 8FG should be sufficient in terms of programming etc., the only thing I wish it had is flight conditions for aircraft mode. Not so important for my newly-acquired Hyperion 25E P-51 but it would come in handy with larger ships and more control surfaces. Who knows - maybe Futaba will add that support in a new firmware update at some point. In the meantime I guess I'll get used to toggling multiple switches for flaps, gear, rates etc.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #62
Gregor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
The Spektrum DX7 series is a very good system, I've had two for five trouble free years. Just picked up a DX8, but that is a lot more $$$$.
Thanks for sharing that story. First I've heard of the other brand causing a crash. I suspect it happens more than the other brands followers care to admit.

I've had a DX7 since 2007 and it continues to give excellent service. Currently it is the only equipment except for my Cellpro4s from when I first started which is still in use today. I have looked a the DX8 and even considered a DX18 to replace my old radio. But there is little that is compelling and the DX8 does not feel as good in my hands as the DX7.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #63
GooberRC

Thanks Dennis - I would have liked to get the JR XG11 or Spektrum DX18 but they were both too expensive. I hope the other "well known brand of radio" was not the 8FG
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #64
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Thanks Dennis - I would have liked to get the JR XG11 or Spektrum DX18 but they were both too expensive. I hope the other "well known brand of radio" was not the 8FG
The other well known brand of radio was a top of the line $1000 plus 2.4 Ghz system. The wet turbine club member shipped it to the Mfg who found nothing wrong with it. AFTER getting it back from the mfg, is when it shut it self off right in front of me on my work bench. It also had no RF output signal. Twice in 15 minutes. That club member sold that transmitter to someone for $200 with a warning to never use it on any model worth more than a hundred bucks.

No I won't mention the brand, don't want to start another thread of radio bashing.

FYI, one of my club members had an issue with his six month old DX7 transmitter last year. The failure was well documented. Horizon could not verify the problem. So they replaced it with a brand new DX7 transmitter. No charge.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct