Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
Plane_freak
(Below) My first crash

Friends: (0)
Default Alternate forms of covering foam

Hi, I own a Hyper Wing. I covered it with the supplied tape like material. It looked okay. I was wondering whether it is possible to cover foam with Monokote or Coverlite? How? Foam expands when it gets to warm.
Thought about paint but I want somrthing that will actually strengthen the foam EPP cores. Any help or ideas will be gladly accepted.

The tree JUMPED out in front of my airplane I SWEAR
Old 09-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Rugar

View Rugar's Gallery5
Friends: (12)

Originally Posted by Plane_freak
Hi, I own a Hyper Wing. I covered it with the supplied tape like material. It looked okay. I was wondering whether it is possible to cover foam with Monokote or Coverlite? How? Foam expands when it gets to warm.
Thought about paint but I want somrthing that will actually strengthen the foam EPP cores. Any help or ideas will be gladly accepted.
Monokote does not work well on foam. It takes more heat then the EPP can handle to get it to shrink. I used Econokote on my EPP Boomerang wind.

First spray the wing with a light coat of 3M77 adhesive and let it set about 15 to 20 mins. to tack up. Then tape up the wing with Scotch Extreme fiberglass reinforced packing tape. (Its the stuff with the fibers running both directions. STRONG STUFF!) Run the tape both length wise and crosswise. Try not to get any wrinkles in the tape as it will show under your covering. The wing will become very stiff. Then spray another light coat of the 3M77 and wait for it to tack up. Then cover with the Econokote making sure to pull it tight as you lay it down to avoid wrinkles that you will have to iron out with higher heat. Use the recommended low heat setting for the Econokote to tack it down, then turn your iron up about 50deg more to tighten. Make sure you keep the iron moving so you dont heat the foam up to much. Your wing will be very stiff and look great when done. Hope this helps.

Gerald
Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
nova801428

Sounds great but the problem I always have is trimming it after it has be attached to the wing. Mine always comes out looking like crap.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:29 AM   #4
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Doculam sold at Staples works very well. Transparent stickyback film. can be heatshrunk with low heat. takes paint well.

Gord.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
Plane_freak
(Below) My first crash

Talking

I'll have to try that on some old foam I have.

The tree JUMPED out in front of my airplane I SWEAR
Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
Vyceroy

Plane Freak you can use Ultracote .. Econocote both work great .. add little weight and provide alot of strength .. here are a few of my planes covered in film .. just keep heat around the halfway point and you will be ok .. plus experimenting helps alot also .. each iron is different ..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foam glider 027.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1705

Name:	renocorsair015.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1706

Name:	RonsFleet05resize.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1707

Name:	SEFF04.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1708

Name:	SikorskyS-38064.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1713
Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
vicman
Carolina Crew Ambassador

Hi Ron!! I was wondering if you would show up here. That flying boat is awsome. Thank you very much for the lessons in FFF you gave me a while back.

Ron's planes look great with the covering BTW .

Bigger Badder Meaner Faster
Revver Brother 41
Old 09-20-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
Vyceroy

Hey Vicman .. i was wondering how you were doing .. my old cellphone died and i lost all my numbers ..

Thanks for the compliments ..
Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 AM   #9
Steve
Vermont Electric

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I just covered a wing with Doculam and had to really put the heat to it. I'm thinking that much heat would probably be a problem with FFF. Solite or anything that used low heat would be better IMHO.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
Vyceroy

Everything i build is Bluecor /FFF and as long as you maintain low heat it works great ...
Never had a problem ..
Old 09-23-2005, 01:48 AM   #11
locolobot

You can always visit your local sign shop. See if you can get them to give you their Vinyl scraps or buy them . They work great on covering foam and they already have the adheasive on the reverse side. Just be careful applying them to get them straight and keep out the bubbles. Give a lot of strength without a lot of weight. I have a lot of vinyl that was given me by my local printer who was glad to get rid of the small rolls of unused stuff.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
drummaker

Club: South Bend RC Club
Default covering EPO

Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
Plane Freak you can use Ultracote .. Econocote both work great .. add little weight and provide alot of strength .. here are a few of my planes covered in film .. just keep heat around the halfway point and you will be ok .. plus experimenting helps alot also .. each iron is different ..
I just started fooling around with this Last night. I was covering my new Halk Sky..

Here is what I discovered, and I hope I am right. Please note this is my observations only. Don't yell at me if I turn out to be wrong

covering foam is very similar to covering a balsa fuselage. getting out most if the wrinkles is the biggest issue. Do to the fact that you aren't using stringers of flat sheets of balsa the foamy is curvier. This is a small issue.

I wound up using this method

Cut as large an area of film as you can apply without too many big loose areas. (cause of the shape)

stick to foam sticking the outside edges as much as possible,

Get the iron as hot as you would anytime, and shrink. lows spots first. This pushes the covering to the foam and when it shrinks it doesn't make like a drum head.

I tested this on an old dead delta wing 1st. Note I was using Hanger 9 Parklite.

The shrinking process is easy the difference is this. with a balsa when you get usually pretty uniform curves which are really NOt that dramatic
this is not true on at least the foamie I am covering.

Note I am using a Century 21 Iron which is VERY nice and the Parklite covering is awesome.

I turned the iron up to 350. This is pretty hot for foam and you would think it would melt... which it did slightly but.... When you get the covering this hot it creates a very small depth of melted foam which the covering can slide around on. This very thin layer didn't seem to warp anything and in itself actually seemed to strengthen the foam a little. The foam has great insulating properties, so the heat didn't penetrate very far into the foam at all.

When I got the Parklite this hot It really shrunk, and any little wrinkles which were folded into it seemed to become Very faint.

Please note that different coverings melt at different temps and I have found Parklite to shrink at a low temp but melt at a high one. I love the stuff.

My end result was not too bad and the fuselage is much much more ridged than before.

Hope I don't pay a price for this.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
drummaker

Club: South Bend RC Club

Here are a couple of pics of the Hawk Sky I just covered with Parklite. I am not done but I did take it out flying today for my and It's maiden...

It flew great in winds gusting up to 20 and steady at 10...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130327_173551.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	167434
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #14
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Been using 3m77 and packing tape on my EPP planes for years, with bi-directional tape applied for high impact areas. They have survived countless combat strikes and hard landings, and are easy to repair if you do really hit something solid. Even the the cheap foam used in the chinese arfs benefit from this covering. A bit fiddly to work with, but with practice you can do a passable finish. Keeping the plane light as possible really helps with the kinetic energy on impact aspect as well. With the "out of the box" culture in R/C, this type of covering is not very popular or common, but it is well worth the time and patience required. My 5 year old combat planes are still flying as good as new, after countless mishaps.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies