Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Club: Falcons of Lake Dallas
Friends: (2)
Default Quickie 500 Racer

Folks,
I posted this on that "other" group but thought I'd do it here as well. Several years ago my son and I built a quickie 500 racer(Gyro 500 by Bridi). We framed it and never installed an engine or radio. The airplane was built for glow and at the time, we never thought about electrics. A while back I pulled it out of the attic and covered it with Monokote. We installed an Eflite 25 and 3s2p 2000 (4000 total) packs from Common Sense. A full size radio system was installed (regular receiver, standard servos). The only effort we made to lighten the plane was the addition of Lite wheels. After completion, the plane weighed 3 pounds w/o battery.
On the first flight, the plane rolled about 10 feet and began to climb like a rocket. After several seconds, my son (Jerry) said, "Dad it's getting kinda small". This plane flys like it is on rails and is a blast to fly! Vertical is not unlimited, but it will go straight up for a LONG time before falling off. Flying times run around 15 minutes(we don't fly our batteries "dry").
This was an extremely cheap and easy conversion, had we built it with electrics in mind I'm sure we could have shaved several more ounces from the airframe alone. Using smaller servos would save a few more ounces.
Anyone looking for an easy conversion of a so-called ".40 size" plane might want to look into one of these racers...they make great sport flyers.

Ken
W4SWK

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro2.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	17493
Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
enrique1123
Landing is not optional

Friends: (0)

Nce, very nice. I really like the airplane's colors too.

I crash better than anybody else
Old 10-04-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

Hi Ken

Back in the prehistoric days when the Astro Cobalts were the hottest motors in the galaxy and electricity was derived from the SCRC 1700, there were a few conversions of Q500s done using 10 cells - flew pretty good on the whole. The weights and numbers of these babies are spot on for what you used, and the weight and shape of a flatty battery are much better for their somewhat cramped fuselages - at least by electric standards.

Yours looks nicer than average - those high wingers with no dihedral and next to no vertical tails may go faster, but they are really ugly. That low winged one you have nearly looks attractive Good to hear you're enjoying her.

Wouldn't happen to have any really high resolution digitals of your conversion, by any chance?

Regards

Dereck
Who's all in favour of simple, small models with unique colour schemes!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 AM   #4
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Quickie 500

Dereck and Enrique,
Thanks for the very kind words. I do have a fairly hi-res (2240x1680)...about 3.5M. If you would like a copy just let me know where to send it. Thanks again for the compliment, I will pass it on to my son (Jerry), he built most of it when he was about 10...he's 17 now.
I have 2 boys (17 abd 16) and we still build and fly together...and yes, I am the luckiest father in the world!

Thanks,
Ken
W4SWK
Old 11-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
I Marauderer
GOC

Friends: (1)

TC, did you have to offset the motor any to get it to track or did you leave it a 0/0? Update on the plane and is it still around?

Barry...go fast turn left!!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Yes, the plane is still around and flyable although it has not been in the air for several months now. My son actually built the airframe around 1997 or 1998 to use an I/C .40 engine. Our club raced quickie 500 in a "club" sort of way...not real screaming competition. The firewall was set to 0/0.

Converting it to electric was really an afterthought. Additionally, my son suggested that we use the opportunity to demonstrate that electric airplanes didn't actually require special equipment to fly well. Hence, the reason for using standard radio equipment...no mini servos or receivers.

If I were to do it again, I would try the following:

1. Use mini servos (HS-81 has all the torque needed)
2. In framing the plane, I'm sure MUCH weight could be saved in wood substitution ( we used 8 oz. glass cloth with epoxy on the center section about 6 inches wide...way overkill!)
3. Use a lighter covering...we used Monokote (great stuff but there are lighter coverings available)
4. Cut down on the lipo size (sacrifice shorter flying time for lighter weight...we went for longer times to "impress" our glow buddies)

Whatever you do, look for ways to keep the plane light. Don't fall into that trap of "wow, it flies so fast but that's because it came out "heavy". (I guess that's why all the professional racers spend thousands of dollars looking for ways to make their planes "heavier"!!!)

If I can help, let me know.

Good Luck,
Ken

Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
TC, did you have to offset the motor any to get it to track or did you leave it a 0/0? Update on the plane and is it still around?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
I Marauderer
GOC

Thanks Ken, I use to fly F1 and 500's back in the mid seventies. You validated everything I thought needed to be done. I is very hard to find anything today. Kits are ANE (almost non existent ) and finding plans are just as difficult unless you want a composite whatever @ $500+. I don't see how some are able to afford to fly today. Anyway I digress, sorry about that. I am looking for plans for a Spickler Q 500 or derivative. I would like a low wing with slight dihedral and a conventional tail. I have found a Pit Bull by Matney Models that is the closest I have found to what I am looking for. I don't have three posts so I cant send a link the next post will have the link.

Any comments or suggestions would help.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
I Marauderer
GOC

Here is the link.

http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html

Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Wow! Sounds as if we may be of the same "vintage"! As a matter of fact, I was taught to fly by a guy you may have heard of....Dave Shadel (with help from Steve Helms). I have built many of Glen Spicklers' kits (almost brings a tear just thinking back). I was living in Ca. at the time and we always called him "the man". The racer that we converted was a Gyro 500 from Bridi Kits... all machine cut (like Spickler) and fit together well. A company by the name of Bluejay is running the Bridi kits now and they don't show the Gyro 500 on their site. Maybe a phone call will reveal a few kits hiding in the closet or maybe they will sell plans. As I recall, the kit was around 50.00. RCM is also still carrying plans and they have a few listed for Quickies.

I agree times have changed but I can just close my eyes and go back to flying my Kraft radio (brown/white flag), Bridi Kaos (machine cut parts), and K&B engine (Perry carb.). These are memories that no high dollar radios or super composite ARFs' will ever replace.

Ken

Originally Posted by I Marauderer View Post
Thanks Ken, I use to fly F1 and 500's back in the mid seventies. You validated everything I thought needed to be done. I is very hard to find anything today. Kits are ANE (almost non existent ) and finding plans are just as difficult unless you want a composite whatever @ $500+. I don't see how some are able to afford to fly today. Anyway I digress, sorry about that. I am looking for plans for a Spickler Q 500 or derivative. I would like a low wing with slight dihedral and a conventional tail. I have found a Pit Bull by Matney Models that is the closest I have found to what I am looking for. I don't have three posts so I cant send a link the next post will have the link.

Any comments or suggestions would help.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
I Marauderer
GOC

Brown and White. 72.080, that was my frequency. I was the only one on Oahu, Hawaii flying on it. I had both Kraft transmitters and my Proline transmitter tuned to all six of my flight packs two kraft and four Cannon. My neighbor was my radio repair guy. He had a dual trace scope and inter tuned everything for me. The new 2.4 systems are great. I have started with the Spektrum DX7 and will go from there.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)