Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
FlyinLo

Send a message via AIM to FlyinLo
Friends: (0)
Default Problems with Hobbyzone Super Cub

I'm copying+pasting the following posts from another forum, I wanted to get input from you guys too:

I received my Super Cub yesterday and built it last night.

Discharged the batteries per the instructions and charged each one with the AC wall charger.

I went to the field this morning to break in the engine by taxiing around for a battery pack

The plane taxiied for about 10 seconds, then stopped and wouldn't respond to the transmitter.
I disconnected the battery and plugged it back in, no power.

I grabbed my second battery pack and put that in. Again it ran for a few seconds and then stopped completely.

I checked the wiring but nothing seems to be out of place and the transmitter batteries are brand new.

Another thing I noticed last night when discharging the battery packs was that the right side servo kept twitching back and forth on its own. The left one was silent unless I gave it input with the transmitter.

Is there anything you can suggest that I do to try to get my Cub running correctly?

(I copy+pasted this from an e-mail I sent to hobbyzone customer service...patiently awaiting their response)
E-mail response regarding my Super Cub problem:

Hello Derrick,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Contact tech support at Horizon Hobby,
and they
will help you determine the problem, and provide warranty service or replacement
if
needed. You can contact them at 877-504-0233 or productsupport@horizonhobby.com
Let me know how you come out.

Thanks, [name removed]
Hobbyzone.com
Customer Service
I called horizon hobby customer service and the rep said the power loss and servo twitching sounds like a speed controller issue.
They're sending me out a new channel 2 unit.

Does this sound about right to you guys?
.................................................. ...............
Well, I hope this part swap will do the trick.

I really can't say I'm pleased with having to do their quality control for them.
Maybe its cheaper to not have a QC person and just ship parts.
.................................................. ................
I took out the receiver/esc unit and it the connections inside it look fine. I unplugged the ACT and X-Port wires.

Plugged battery in, transmitter on... motor works intermittently. Servos constantly twitch around on their own. Stick input moves the surfaces but the servos immediately twitch back the other way.
.................................................. .................
I tried moving that around while the battery was plugged in, radio on. It seemed to effect when the plane responded to the stick and throttle, but servos are still glitching very bad and the motor glitches too.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
jcblough

I'm going w/ either a problem in the esc and/or bad battery pack(s)
The radios in the horizon rtf's seem to give some servo chatter from time to time so that isn't out of the normal. Nonresponsiveness is definitely a problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
ducatirdr

Default Sounds like you have an answer but

Twitching servos with the battery in and transmitter off is common.

No power on ground can be ACT turned on. Make sure its off.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
FlyinLo

I disconnected the ACT wires.

Things will only "work"(by work I mean twitch & glitch) with ACT ON. If I turn ACT OFF I get nothing.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Send a message via AIM to Flyer 1
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner 

Originally Posted by FlyinLo View Post
I disconnected the ACT wires.

Things will only "work"(by work I mean twitch & glitch) with ACT ON. If I turn ACT OFF I get nothing.
Yup, it's your receiver/esc. The new one should fix things right up.
Flyer
Old 10-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
FlyinLo

The new receiver came today. I installed it and everything appears to be in working order. I'm going to taxi test a battery through her and go from there. Possible maiden flight today.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
FlyinLo

From Yesterday:
I just got back from the field...

My little brother has to leave the house at 5 for a soccer game so we rushed over to the field to try out the Super Cub before he had to be back.

When we got there I realized I had forgotten the wing struts. (I removed them so I could tape up the wings a bit for strength)

We didn't have enough time to go back for them before he had to leave, so I told him I wouldn't be able to fly but we could taxi around a bit and get the feel for the controls. It was probably for the best since it was a little windy.

I mostly taxiied on grass because there were soccer benches set up in the baseball infield. I kept the elevator full up to minimize the chances of hitting a bump and striking the prop. I even let him steer his way through the infield while I managed the throttle.

Then I set him loose with my Aero Ace while I practiced some more. At one point I accidentally picked up too much speed and she shot up in the air(elevator full up). I immediately neutralized the stick, brought the power back down and did a real nice flare to touchdown. The incidental flight was probably 30 feet max, but it was very cool

I yelled to my brother "I just flew! I just flew!" he came running over and gave me a high five. I did a few more short hops (with less up elevator this time) and practiced landings which I must say, seemed fairly easy. I think using the FMS simulator helped A LOT as I could land in any direction, flying towards or away from me.

The highest I got was probably 20 or 30 feet and at most I think I did two circles around the field. I didn't feel comfortable climbing any higher because of the wind.

I flipped it a few times in taller clumps of grass but there was no damage at all since the prop had stopped spinning.

I had one close call when I flew from our left to right, probably 20 feet away and brought her down for a landing. I touched her down fairly fast and then I realzed it was heading straight for a small soccer goal and bench. I really didn't want to snap the wing on the soccer goal so I steered straight into the bench. We ran over to inspect the damage.... The prop spinner had some scratches on it. I worried I might've damaged the gearbox so I turned the Cub away from the bench and gave it some throttle. Purred like a kitten

Turns out you guys were right, I am going to enjoy this Cub now that the electronics are all straightened out.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
guest001
On Hiatus

Default struts

Forget the struts: they don't provide any integrity and will aggravate damage to the battery box on hard landings! Again, forget the struts-the wing has good integrity.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
FlyinLo

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any aerobatics without the struts.

Also, I personally would rather glue up the battery box after a hard landing than have the wing snap in flight and possibly cause much more damage than just the battery box.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
guest001
On Hiatus

Default Battery Box

Use your own judgement but I believe that over time, you will find, as I did, that the screw point distribute too much stress to the box so that over time it damages the fuselage and the box, itself, such that it become irreparable. This is just the sum of my experience, so have fun.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
jcblough

Could split the difference and reinforce the strut mounting points on the fuse. I've read people doing it by layering paper towels and soaking it w/ epoxy in a few layers - distribute the weight/stress of the strut across a larger area.

Both points are valid. I've had a wing fold on flight on a plane and it is UGLY.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #12
guest001
On Hiatus

That's a fine idea-believe me, I've seen the Cub looped, etc. with no struts and it's fine but who knows-I DO KNOW that the screw points ultimately fail and destroy the box and damage the fuse beyond repair.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 AM   #13
jcblough

The struts are prob 90% for a more scale look. I just know that on the HZ stuff, it's as tough as the batch of stuff your plane was made with. I like their stuff but sometimes the quality control is a bit iffy. One wing w/ an airbubble in the foam in the wrong place - probably total the plane.

that happened on my firebird freedom(junk) and it tore up so much stuff, I just retired it and got a new plane.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
guest001
On Hiatus

Ah, the old latent defect bugaboo! My wings are reinforced with tape, leading, trailing and center!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:46 AM   #15
FlyinLo

I reinforced my leading edge and tips with packing tape, didn't figure I would need any on the trailing edge. I suppose a strip from tip to tip wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #16
guest001
On Hiatus

Other than an MRI, it's the best cure for "latent defects!"
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 AM   #17
Chucky010

Has anyone ever experienced the motor cutting in and out on ? It happened to me today, I was only about half way though my 2nd Batt & I landed and checked all OK. Then flew for another 6 mins without any problems?

Height is your friend....wind is not!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #18
guest001
On Hiatus

I sold (practically gave) my Cub to a local Aerobird flyer. He had this problem and claimed it disappeared after a "water break in" of the motor (an old one to be sure!). I think the connection is fortuitous but, he did have this intermittent problem, which he claims to have cured. Search for "flydiver" and see if he can help. Regards, Dave
Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #19
ducatirdr

Default Make sure ACT isn't on

Originally Posted by Chucky010 View Post
Has anyone ever experienced the motor cutting in and out on ? It happened to me today, I was only about half way though my 2nd Batt & I landed and checked all OK. Then flew for another 6 mins without any problems?
I had the same issue with mine and it turned out that the ACT switch was on. It must have been bumped in transit as I never used it. I thought it was a loose connection as it only happened when I did tight turns or loops... Yup it was the ACT kicking in. Switch off no issues afterward.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #20
swapdaddyxx1

Default super cub struts

I haven't even taken my SC out of the box yet, But it seems to me if the strut mounts were linked across the fuslage bottom with a strip of light metal that it might relieve some of the stress on the fuslage. I am assuming that the strut anchors are somewhat like those of the J3. Jerry
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #21
WJCJR

Send a message via AIM to WJCJR
Default motor cut out

Chuck,

Be conscious of your antenna direction. I experienced moderate motor cut-out until I learned more of radio waves, how they're generated and their pattern as they are transmitted. After this learning curve crested I could clear this symptom instantly at will.

If this reoccurs turn your radio approximately 90 degrees to the left or right of the plane.

Well here, here's a link to that discussion on this subject. I am not certain this is your issue or not Chuck but it's good information anyhow.

http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ead=1170378805

Take a few read that and while you're at it breeze through the site, as you will see immediately this site is dedicated to the Super Cub.

Wayne
Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 AM   #22
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Dave Matison View Post
I sold (practically gave) my Cub to a local Aerobird flyer. He had this problem and claimed it disappeared after a "water break in" of the motor (an old one to be sure!). I think the connection is fortuitous but, he did have this intermittent problem, which he claims to have cured. Search for "flydiver" and see if he can help. Regards, Dave
He did make me a great deal and I appreciate it. The Cub has been my favorite plane. I fly it all the time.
I don't think the water break in cure for the motor miss was circumstantial. Before I did it I check out a number of other possibilities (connections, interference, ACT on/off, antenna, etc.) and none made a difference. After the break in it was fine and has stayed OK. I actually did it as a last resort. Prior to that I was of the newbie opinion that water and electric motors just don't mix. Runs fine underwater.

NOTE: Do NOT do this for a brushless motor. It's main purpose is to gently break in the BRUSHES on a "regular" brushed motor.

flydiver
Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #23
grubbyjeans

Friends: (1)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dave Matison View Post
That's a fine idea-believe me, I've seen the Cub looped, etc. with no struts and it's fine but who knows-I DO KNOW that the screw points ultimately fail and destroy the box and damage the fuse beyond repair.
I realize this thread has been here a while, but I've used a couple of ideas that might be useful to someone.

First of all, I've just been experiencing some of the TX/RX problems you've been having. I think my problem is also in the receiver/esc.I've posted a video here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25981

Second, I've some experience with a broken battery box. Here is my repair:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grubbyj...7602479467034/

grubby
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #24
cloud-9

Originally Posted by FlyinLo View Post
I'm copying+pasting the following posts from another forum, I wanted to get input from you guys too:

I received my Super Cub yesterday and built it last night.

Discharged the batteries per the instructions and charged each one with the AC wall charger.

I went to the field this morning to break in the engine by taxiing around for a battery pack

The plane taxiied for about 10 seconds, then stopped and wouldn't respond to the transmitter.
I disconnected the battery and plugged it back in, no power.

I grabbed my second battery pack and put that in. Again it ran for a few seconds and then stopped completely.

I checked the wiring but nothing seems to be out of place and the transmitter batteries are brand new.

Another thing I noticed last night when discharging the battery packs was that the right side servo kept twitching back and forth on its own. The left one was silent unless I gave it input with the transmitter.

Is there anything you can suggest that I do to try to get my Cub running correctly?

(I copy+pasted this from an e-mail I sent to hobbyzone customer service...patiently awaiting their response)
E-mail response regarding my Super Cub problem:

I called horizon hobby customer service and the rep said the power loss and servo twitching sounds like a speed controller issue.
They're sending me out a new channel 2 unit.

Does this sound about right to you guys?
.................................................. ...............
Well, I hope this part swap will do the trick.

I really can't say I'm pleased with having to do their quality control for them.
Maybe its cheaper to not have a QC person and just ship parts.
.................................................. ................
I took out the receiver/esc unit and it the connections inside it look fine. I unplugged the ACT and X-Port wires.

Plugged battery in, transmitter on... motor works intermittently. Servos constantly twitch around on their own. Stick input moves the surfaces but the servos immediately twitch back the other way.
.................................................. .................
I tried moving that around while the battery was plugged in, radio on. It seemed to effect when the plane responded to the stick and throttle, but servos are still glitching very bad and the motor glitches too.

Please call them back. I hope they have an avalanche of angry customers. The SC electronics are garbage. I just tried out my new SC today and same intermittent power problems as caused the last one to crash.

Jim
Old 11-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #25
cloud-9

Originally Posted by jcblough View Post
Could split the difference and reinforce the strut mounting points on the fuse. I've read people doing it by layering paper towels and soaking it w/ epoxy in a few layers - distribute the weight/stress of the strut across a larger area.

Both points are valid. I've had a wing fold on flight on a plane and it is UGLY.
I just used a piece of wire run through the screw holes of the struts then twisted to pull them snug. No screws into fuselage.

Jim

New Mexico, USA

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers