Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
phaz

Friends: (0)
Default Transmitter?

I was looking at the fms sim and wondering what cheap transmitter to start with.
Great board here by the way.
thanks phaz
Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

Well it sort of depends on if you're going to be flying actual models or just playing with the sim. If it's just the sim you might as well just use a joystick initially. That's as cheap as it gets.

If you're going to be flying it depends what you want to fly and also where you live. E.g. many people might suggest a DX6 but that doesn't help if you live somewhere where DX6s aren't legal.

Steve
Old 10-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

View EpoweredRc's Gallery47
Club: Paulding County Model Aviation
Send a message via Yahoo to EpoweredRc
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Well it sort of depends on if you're going to be flying actual models or just playing with the sim. If it's just the sim you might as well just use a joystick initially. That's as cheap as it gets.

If you're going to be flying it depends what you want to fly and also where you live. E.g. many people might suggest a DX6 but that doesn't help if you live somewhere where DX6s aren't legal.

Steve
Yeah thats true. and is the Specktums not legal in the UK? I didnt relize there wernt legal everywhere .

"I'ld rather be flying"

"B&D 1100 Cells and A123 2300 cells are my
best friends."

http://www.fancyfoam.com/
My clubs Site.
http://pcmaviation.org/NewIndex.htm
Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
planekiller

they aren't legal in the uk because of the freqeuncy we use 35MHZ while you use 72 or 74 MHZ can't remember which

if it looks like it works and feels like it works then it works

Remember having extra power is kind of like having extra whisky. You may not use it today, but its nice to have it around for the day that you do!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

View Solid Hit's Gallery12

We use 72 in the US. I prefer the Optic 6 to the DX due to the module change. I use a 72 spectra module and I believe that you can get a module for 35 as well.

I fly, therefore I crash.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

Actually the DX6 uses 2.4MHz but isn't legal in the whole of Europe because it transmits at too high a power. The 2.4MHz license-free operation is harmonised across Europe and, being intended for short range, only allows 10mW output. The DX6 puts out 10 times as much.

Several of the national modelling bodies are trying to get approval for it. I believe Germany is there or nearly there and the UK is getting quite close.

Steve
Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
ragbag
Super Contributor

View ragbag's Gallery1
Default Park Flyers?

Originally Posted by phaz View Post
I was looking at the fms sim and wondering what cheap transmitter to start with.
Great board here by the way.
thanks phaz
Actualy, if you are staying with the parkflyer size craft the DX 6 is the way to go.
If range and the size of the model is not a proplem then why fool with frequency pins and modules on the other type of radios.

When you go to the park/field there is not a question of shootiing anyone down, just light up and go.

You are in the states so there is not a question of legality either.

.................................................. ..............................................
Old 10-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

View Solid Hit's Gallery12

Several reasons why I sold my DX6 is due to the lack of features and cost of receivers. I went with the Hitec transmitters using the spectrum modules due to the high availability of excellent receivers for less then half the cost of the 2.4 system. I've got over 7 or 8 flyable at any given time and that can get very costly. The DX6 is sold for park flyer use meaning the system is not made for full range planes - even though many people are using them successfully as such. The lack of features is another reason why I sold my system in favor of the Optic 6 and the Eclipse 7.

I'm fortunate (maybe) in that I fly with only 3 or 4 other guys and frequency control is not a problem.

I fly, therefore I crash.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:37 AM   #9
ragbag
Super Contributor

View ragbag's Gallery1

Originally Posted by Solid Hit View Post
Several reasons why I sold my DX6 is due to the lack of features and cost of receivers. I went with the Hitec transmitters using the spectrum modules due to the high availability of excellent receivers for less then half the cost of the 2.4 system. I've got over 7 or 8 flyable at any given time and that can get very costly. The DX6 is sold for park flyer use meaning the system is not made for full range planes - even though many people are using them successfully as such. The lack of features is another reason why I sold my system in favor of the Optic 6 and the Eclipse 7.

I'm fortunate (maybe) in that I fly with only 3 or 4 other guys and frequency control is not a problem.
I have pulled up to the local soccer field and whatched them shoot each other down with their Stryker's, nobody asks about frequency, they just throw it in the air and hope it goes, 6-8 flying at a time.
I won't fly with them.
I fly with a club and they have freq control to keep that from happening. DX 6 is nice on a busy day.

.................................................. .................................................

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners