Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
punkindrublik
www.rcsupergear.com

Friends: (0)
Talking Robbe Gemini Hydro -

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this here yet.

Awesome little Hydro. A cut above the rest.
The pics are of mine, but the video isn't.....
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/259899/no_risk_no_fun/

A CCDR cool wind and Dymond D47's make this little puppy a BLAST to fly!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEMINI-8.gif
Views:	798
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	18220
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEMINI-7.gif
Views:	836
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	18221
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
snolord
Builder Of Everything RC

Send a message via MSN to snolord Send a message via Yahoo to snolord

Hey dude,that's one i havn't seen yet.can't wait to get one

A.L.R.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
punkindrublik
www.rcsupergear.com

Wink

Originally Posted by snolord View Post
Hey dude,that's one i havn't seen yet.can't wait to get one
lol, yeah right :p

Nothing like a perfectly executed figure 9......
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
StephenT
3D and P's Dad

Where did you get it?

Most lipo's destroyed!!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
floatplanevic

Thumbs up Gemini Setup

G'day from Oz,

Just saw your Gemini like what you did with the elevators.
How did you set it up, am building one now.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
r_kopka
Electric Only

Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 

Real good flyer. Better than the other Hydroplanes. It even can make a controllable glide.

IMHO no need to use 4 servos for the elevons. 2 in a delta mix will do fine. But in my case the hinges are way too hard so I don't get enough throw for 3D only for normal aerobatic.

RK
Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 AM   #7
budokaiboy

Default was 1 left at ikarus

I got the last 1 of 2 that Ikarus had left. The guy Frank had it shipped as soon as I got off the phone with him. It was 100 bucks though in ARF form. Excellent service and communication if anyones looking to get one stateside. Ikarus is out of Florida. It isn't listed on their website so you have to call them.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
paulhealey

Originally Posted by r_kopka View Post
Real good flyer. Better than the other Hydroplanes. It even can make a controllable glide.

IMHO no need to use 4 servos for the elevons. 2 in a delta mix will do fine. But in my case the hinges are way too hard so I don't get enough throw for 3D only for normal aerobatic.

RK
just built mine, and am starting to see what this thing can do. well with 180watts to spare it sure is a lot of fun.havent tried water yet.why havent these things caught on yet?

paul h
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
rc808

Originally Posted by budokaiboy View Post
I got the last 1 of 2 that Ikarus had left. The guy Frank had it shipped as soon as I got off the phone with him.
Funny...i'll try to find the link but somewhere on another forum all these customers kept buying 'one of the last 2 Frank had left.' I think he says that every Gemini call to seal the deal or something.

Anybody know how the Capricorn compares?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by rc808 View Post
Funny...i'll try to find the link but somewhere on another forum all these customers kept buying 'one of the last 2 Frank had left.' I think he says that every Gemini call to seal the deal or something.

Anybody know how the Capricorn compares?
I just happen to be able to answer that, since I came up with the Capricorn

The Capricorn is a lot larger - roughly twice the length and width = 4 times the wing area at about 1/2 again as much weight. That means about 1/3 the wing loading.

There is the main cause of the difference in how they fly.

The Gemini is smaller and reacts faster and will always fly faster and handle much more like a patern plane although it can 3D but not great. It will handle wind better than the Capricorn.

The Capricorn is a lot larger and will fly more like a light 3D plane but it still handles wind very well. It can also be flown in much smaller indoor spaces if you want as it can fly a lot slower than the Gemini without haveing to resort to harrier or hover flight. The Capricorn can also be flown off smaller spots of water as it takes off in a shorter distance and lands slower - not counting harrier landings.

The Gemini is a lot tougher because its made from an EPP type of foam - elapore IIRC. The Capricorn is all Depron and wont survive crashes nearly as well. Both are easy to repair.

IF you can find one, the Gemini will cost you $100 plus shipping - not counting power system and radio gear.

The Capricorn will cost you 2 sheets of Depron and a couple of evenings to build it - plus the same power system and Rx.

Actually you can fly the Capricorn well on less power - about 100 watts.

For the Gemini to shine in its element - speed and wild aerobatics - it really needs about 150-200 watts.

On the other hand, my buddy Jed likes about 200-250 watts on his version - the Flying W.

The other advantage the Capricorn has is that it can easily handle a wide range of motors and packs. I like flying a lite setup with a Microdan 2505 or CustomCDrom cool wind and TP 3S 1320 packs. Jed flys with a motor that weighs more than twice as much and heavy 2200 packs.

I have flown mine with 6ea TP 3S 2100 packs in paralell in an all up last down contest and it handled the extra weight with no issues.

The Gemini cant handle nearly as much beyond the motor and packs it was designed for as far as size and weight.

The Gemini was what spured me to do the Capricorn. I thought it was a great idea but they just didnt get it quite right. It was also the wrond sign - Im a Capricorn

Ofcourse, this is a perfectly fair comparison and Im not biased at all

Below are a few videos. I have more under my user name on You Tube.

Larry

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video

and last but not least Jeds flying W version.

YouTube Video
Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
rc808

Awesome Larry, thanks for the description. Think it would be possible to build an epp version with some carbon spars?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

I dont see any reason why you couldnt do it.

One of the guys in my build thread was going to do an EPP version with 9mm material I think. Dont remember for sure.

By the way - I want to agree and emphasize the point punkindrublic made about the Gemini being a cut above the other hydros. The Capricorn and Gemini both have outstanding water handling compared to pretty much any other hydro with the possible exception of the 4Q.

As far as over all flying charactistics - both of them just blow away any other hydro - again with the possible exception of the 4Q in some ways.

The 4Q is a very precise flyer and tracks beautifully, but you have to fly it all the time.

I was one of the first guys to get a copied hydro foam going way back when and Ive built several versions. They are a hoot but dont fly as well or as easily or handle on the water as well as the Gemini and Capricorn.

The Gemini and the Capricorn have a lot of built in stability in roll - both upright AND inverted - yet they can both do wild manovers.

On top of that - the Capricorn in particular, has one other nifty feature.

What if your flying on water and for some strange reason - NOT dumb thumbs ofcourse - you end up up-side down way out in the middle of the water. If its a little windy, the Capricorn will most often blow back over right side up and you can take off again and pretend it was a planned manover

Normal hydro's and float planes just dont do that!

Larry
Old 11-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

By the way - here are a couple more Gemini videos from YouTube.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video
Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #14
cameraboy5

Hey guys,
Where have you been alll my life.... ok.... at least these past couple of years. My wife and i had just built a new house with a 3 acre lake in my backyard strickly for the purpose that i could have my rc playtoys. I have a couple of rc boats, helo's,cars, and just recently got into rc planes. After seeing the air hog storm launcher ad, i was sooooo pumped up that i could have a flying hydro and then came the dissapointment! That was until tonight!!!!!!!!
I'm really interested in the flying W. After watching the video's, i think you guys are really on to something. I love the size, the power, and the unlimited stunts. I'm not quite up to 3D flying yet but would love to build a 4 or even a simple 3 channel version. I'm mainly interested in water skimming along with some hang time until i get more comfortable with my flying abillities.
Can someone guide me along with a build or direct me?
Thanks
Scott
Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by cameraboy5 View Post
Hey guys,
Where have you been alll my life.... ok.... at least these past couple of years. My wife and i had just built a new house with a 3 acre lake in my backyard strickly for the purpose that i could have my rc playtoys. I have a couple of rc boats, helo's,cars, and just recently got into rc planes. After seeing the air hog storm launcher ad, i was sooooo pumped up that i could have a flying hydro and then came the dissapointment! That was until tonight!!!!!!!!
I'm really interested in the flying W. After watching the video's, i think you guys are really on to something. I love the size, the power, and the unlimited stunts. I'm not quite up to 3D flying yet but would love to build a 4 or even a simple 3 channel version. I'm mainly interested in water skimming along with some hang time until i get more comfortable with my flying abillities.
Can someone guide me along with a build or direct me?
Thanks
Scott
I did a build thread here.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26120

Should have all the questions answered somewhere in there.

Good luck!

Larry
Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
cameraboy5

Larry,
Thanks for taking the time to design and share your work with others.
I can't wait to get started.
Thanks
Scott
Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #17
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Larry,
Thanks for taking the time to design and share your work with others.
I can't wait to get started.
Thanks
Scott
Good luck and post your progress as you go along.

I got a chance to fly the Capricorn in the first snow fall we have had locally.

The video isnt great - I didnt have anyone to run the camera so it had to sit on the bench, but it gives an idea.

The snow was wet and only about 1" deep but it was a hoot!

The first part of the video is my maiden flight of my new SU37 foamie. What can I say - I was desperate to fly

Larry

the video isnt working for some reason.....
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 AM   #18
cameraboy5

Larry,
thanks again for all the help so far. Do you think i stand a chance for anything flyable if i make my first CAP/W a 3 channel? sc/ele./rudder
I'm only looking for water skimming and maybe a couple flat and level laps in the air until i get a little more comfy with this diamond in the rough!
Looking at, as you recommend, 85-100 watt motor, 25amp sc, 2s lipo or 800-1100 nimh pack i have laying around with my rc cars.
Scott
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 AM   #19
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Larry,
thanks again for all the help so far. Do you think i stand a chance for anything flyable if i make my first CAP/W a 3 channel? sc/ele./rudder
I'm only looking for water skimming and maybe a couple flat and level laps in the air until i get a little more comfy with this diamond in the rough!
Looking at, as you recommend, 85-100 watt motor, 25amp sc, 2s lipo or 800-1100 nimh pack i have laying around with my rc cars.
Scott
4 chanels is better but that setup will work.

As far as 2S or 3S lipo - that will depend on your motor/prop choice. As long as you can get the power and keep the prop from hitting the ground you'll be fine

I fixed the video and moved it to the Capricorn build thread.

Larry
Old 12-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

View dmmalish's Gallery14
Club: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=221090112030
Send a message via AIM to dmmalish
Friends: (6)
Thumbs up i want one

please provide a link to where to purchase one of these things they look awsome thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #21
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

As was mentioned above, if you live in the US its very dificult to get one.

You could try Ikarus US distributor (dont have a link) but they keep saying they dont have any more.

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies