Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Suncoaster
Dave Walker

Friends: (0)
Question Mystery Brand speed controller

Has anyone got any info on these speed controllers, or know of any programming instructions. I got a 40A version in a box of bits from a deceased estate, but no instructions or any information at all.

Dave
Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

You will need either a picture or word description of the item for anyone to help you.

Fred AMA 68196
Amateur Radio N3CLI
Palm Beach Radio Control Association member
The largest AMA club membership in the USA
Old 10-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Suncoaster
Dave Walker

Default Mystery BRand 40A ESC

OK I will attempt to attach a couple of pictures.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery-ESC-1.jpg
Views:	2181
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	18307
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery-ESC-2.jpg
Views:	2730
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	18308
Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
max-nix
max-nix

View max-nix's Gallery1
Friends: (2)

Specifications:
MYSTERY 30A Speed Controller ESC
-Size: 52.1mm x 24.5mm x 9.3mm
-Weight: 27g each
-Constant Current: 30A
-Max Current: 40A
-Input Volt: 6V - 12V
-Low-Voltage Cutoff: Auto detect and set

Advantage of the MYSTERY Speed Controller
-Low resistence
-High rate PWM
-Sixteen cells Max (with BEC disabled)
-User programmable brake
-Low voltage auto setting based on battery
-Throttle range self-adjusting
-Soft start ramp up
-Runs motor in forward or reverse
-Auto motor cutoff with reset
-Safe power arming program ensures motor will not run accidentally after turn on
-Low torque start
-Auto shut down when signal is lost

Do a search on ebay for mystery esc for other sizes.

Truth is treason in the empire of lies
Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
ForestCam
Bad Influence

View ForestCam's Gallery3

I start reading thinking the "brand" of the ESC was a mystery not that the brand WAS MYSTERY. LOL
Old 10-23-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Hmmm, I think the jury's still out on that forestcam...

There is a brand of ESC called "Mystery," but I think that the brand of this ESC that Suncoaster posted IS a mystery.

Where's Scooby Doo when you need him?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Suncoaster
Dave Walker

Default Mystery Brand 40A ESC

One could get quite confused here, this ESC is branded Mystery but I realised that I had removed the label before I took the photos.:o The label was on the heat sink. I found those eBay listings but no programming instructions. I tried emailing the store but they were not very helpful. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Dave.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
cjcooper

Thumbs down PDF Manual for Mystery 20A / 30A ESC

Attached should be the PDF manual supplied by the seller for a 'Mystery ESC' 30A speed controller.

I purchased 18A and 30A versions from eBay (which sucked, 5 weeks shipping on item listed as 7-14 with 30 day no-returns PayPal policy, but that's another story):

The 18A re-programs OK however the 30A version seems to stuck on factory defaults, other than brake on/off.

Throttle down for 5 seconds at *any* time arms the ESC, at which point it plays Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (!) and then throttle is motor speed.

Unless armed, throttle up for 5 seconds switches to programming mode (even though manual and 18A require throttle up at *power on* for programming mode).

Unless armed, throttle centre results in continous bip bip bip - even when trying to program.

Any ideas, or do I have a dud 30A? It looks exactly like your pic.

It works on factory settings, however I bought this to use this in a 2 LiPo setup so the 3S default cuts the motor immediately

Cheers,
Chr!s

PS: Google search has been useless, as there's 10 million people with 'mystery ESC' problems in all sorts of combinations with only a couple being the brand.

PPS: Both of mine came minus the label. Factory seconds?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mystery_20a30amanual.pdf (114.4 KB, 15858 views)
Old 10-26-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

There's a very high probability that these ESCs are exactly the same as one or more other brands of budget-priced ESCs on the market. It's quite common these days to buy unbadged product from overseas and add your own label, or even have them put your own label on at the factory.

Take a look around at some of the vendors like bphobbies.com or rchotdeals.com. Do their ESCs look like these "Mystery" brand ones?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
ForestCam
Bad Influence

So has the mystery been solved?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Suncoaster
Dave Walker

My experience with the 40A controller mirrors what cjcooper has had with his 30A controller. All I have been able to do so far has been to change the brake setting, but I have not given up. I will continue to work on the programming and post the final results once I have got it sorted out.

Dave
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
ForestCam
Bad Influence

The thing that you have to remember with these ESCs is there ARE 1st and 2nd generation units out there. 1st gen ONLY lets you program the brake where 2nd gen lets you program everything else.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
helicoter

I also came across the same problem that cjcooper had with his 30A ESC, with a no name 20A ESC. I managed to find this information (pdf attached). Apparently there is different versions software for different brandnames and different regions but the hardware is the same.
Unfortunatley with the version that plays "Twincle Twincle Little Star" the battery cut off voltage is permanently set at 8.4V. Not what was advertised on the ebay advertisment. However some settings can be changed with the throttle lever.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESCDirections_EN_-02.pdf (183.7 KB, 10203 views)
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
Tonywjones44

I have a 80A MYSTERY speed controller, bought on Ebay as a motor/ESC package from Hong Kong.
Firstly, there is no output voltage on the receiver connection despit it supposedly having a BEC. If I connect a separate receiver battery then it plays Twinkle, twinkle, but when I advance the throttle, I get only a bout 1000rpm max.
If any one can advise me I would be very grateful. Hopefully the motor will be of slightly better quality. Maybe.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
Tonywjones44

Default Mystery ESC

I've now discovered that this strange controller only exhibits this behaviour when powering one particular brushless motor. It had to be the one I was testing it on - of course. I've tried it with two other motors: one AXI and Eflight and it works fine. To it is all a bit of a MYSTERY.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
Snow Owl

Has anyone purchased and used the Turborix MBC 60A Brushless ESC? The price is right if works.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
hauts

I bought one of the Turborix 60A. The programming does not seem (or sound ) to be the same as TowerPro so I don't really have any idea what the cutoff etc. is set to - have to be a bit careful with the batteries.

That said, it does run a motor just well.

I also have a 65A esc with no bec, with a biiig heat sink inside its blue shrink tubing. It came with no label but advertised as TowerPro. That has the "only get very low rpm" problem with the only motor I've tried so far, maybe because the motor is of low KV (833). Still it manages to draw amps horribly so there's something wrong with the timing or something, or maybe its just bad.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #18
Snow Owl

That's the thing then, isn't it?
The Tower Pro is in the same price range(if you add in overpriced shipping and handling to try to cheat ebay), as well as the Mystery and other Ebay mysteries. Has anyone had good, solid experience with any of them? I need to find a cheap 45 - 50 amp esc that will actually work. If I wanted to spent $140 american, I love CC, but I'll buy Chinese if I get what I need cheap.
Incidentally, is anyone else completely fed up with the CAPS LOCK and Insert buttons. I'm about to use C-4 on mine!!! @#$%#@//)(%$!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #19
Blofly

Default Bloody Mystery

i to have a mystery 30a brushless speed control bought as a motor speed control package..Ebay need i say any more?.. the motor is a D2627-4200 and its a bloody nightmare i cant get this thing programed AAaargh. has anyone had any luck programing these pieces of SH&% as im almost ready to attack with the bench grinder
??
Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #20
compflight

Originally Posted by Tonywjones44 View Post
I have a 80A MYSTERY speed controller, bought on Ebay as a motor/ESC package from Hong Kong.
Firstly, there is no output voltage on the receiver connection despit it supposedly having a BEC. If I connect a separate receiver battery then it plays Twinkle, twinkle, but when I advance the throttle, I get only a bout 1000rpm max.
If any one can advise me I would be very grateful. Hopefully the motor will be of slightly better quality. Maybe.
It is an OPTO type despite the wording to the contrary
Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
lazybee
lazybee

Default Mystery 80 A ESC

To tonywjones44...I have same problem with 80A Mystery. Straight connection no response at all. With aux power supply can get flight controls but no motor speed just a strong pulsing and lots of beeps (Himark 3522-1100Kv) One previous writer suggested motor incompatibility.. I will try an Axi 2820-12 and see what happens and report
WHAT is an OPTO? Do I have to buy a remote BEC or is this some kind of setting to select and if so how do you do it?
Any helpers out there?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #22
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Friends: (12)

Originally Posted by ForestCam View Post
I start reading thinking the "brand" of the ESC was a mystery not that the brand WAS MYSTERY. LOL
Same here. lol

My screenname is PerlAddict, as in Practical Extraction Report Language. Not the shiny little beads that oysters spit out. - Dave
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #23
simibill
General Factotum

View simibill's Gallery34
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Snow Owl View Post
I need to find a cheap 45 - 50 amp esc that will actually work. If I wanted to spent $140 american, I love CC, but I'll buy Chinese if I get what I need cheap.
Take a look here: http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=264

Also buy the program card for $8.50

I have had good experience with this item and the vendor.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #24
lazybee
lazybee

Re the Mystery 80A ESC...after consullting eBay seller (compassho2005), NOW they say 'sorry,the ESC requires a UBEC 6V-3A ' (available from them or United Hobbies Singapore...cheaper for article and freight. Why they don't include this info straight up beats me as the same problem applies to 40/60/80/120A Mystery ESC..might save everybody a bit of aggro!!
Apparently the use of UBEC's in higher rated ESC's (40A+) is a recommended practice as it allows for stable servo voltages and more servos and keeps heat away from voltage regulator. Have a look at a few eBay or RC supplier sites for UBEC info and you will get the picture!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
lazybee
lazybee

Further to Mystery ESCs
ESCs of 40A+ will require either a 4.8/6.0V flight pack or a UBEC 6V-3A to run Just plug in the ESC to the throttle channel and the UBEC or battery to the Batt or Aux channel and the thing should work!
With my problem (lots of warning beeps and motor just pulsing, the problem was tracked down to EPA on the throttle channel of the tx..I had the lowest position TOO HIGH and the beeps were to tell me to retard the throttle prior to start. Eventhough the throttle lever was retarded to OFF, as far as the tx was concerned the throttle was set at 100% HIGH and so it wouldnt go until I had reduced EPA to less than 20%...then everything worked just dandy
Hope this helps somebody out there!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems

Tags
brand , controller , mystery , speed