Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
stardiamond

Friends: (0)
Default Honey Bee FP Blade Tracking...

First of all, I am totally new to the RC heli scene. Secondly, I just bought an Honey Bee FP and noticed that the blade tracking is off. How do I set the blade tracking? Since it's an FP, I only have 2 links on the head. According to the users manual, it says that is the blade tracking is off, you have to bend the blade until the desired position is reached. If this right? I don't want to break the blades. What it the proper procedure to setting up the blade tracking? Also, I noticed some vibration when I throttle up. Is that because of the tracking or do I need to look for something else? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Nooo, don't bend anything!

First of all, read this. This isn't the manual for your specific helicopter, but starting on page 21 is a good description on how to adjust the tracking on a similarly designed main rotor (you'll need Acrobat Reader to view it):
http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi..._CP_Manual.pdf

After you read how to adjust the blade tracking, you'll need to know how to pull the pitch control link in order to adjust it. Don't worry, it's not hard!

Look at the above pic, and you'll see the main rotor of your helicopter. In the upper right you'll see a part that's circled, and that's a pitch control link. It consists of two plastic rings joined in the middle by a threaded metal rod. The two plastic rings are connect to ball connectors, one on a blade grip and one on the flybar mount. The two plastic rings can be twisted to make the pitch control link longer or shorter, and that's what adjusts your tracking.

In the middle right image, you'll see the lower half of the pitch control link circled. You can pull the ring off the ball connector by using your fingernails. Do not use sharp objects to pry the ring off the ball connector, or you may scratch and ruin the ring or connector! Once that ring is off the blade grip ball connector, you can twist it to make this pitch control link longer or shorter.

Now that you have the instructions on how to adjust blade tracking, and you also have the 'know-how' to pull off a pitch control link and lengthen/shorten it, you now should be able to adjust your tracking. The helicopter will definitely vibrate if the tracking is off, so your heli should behave better after you get the tracking adjusted properly.

If tracking the blades doesn't take care of your vibration problems, look at this site and learn how to balance the blades...
http://www.bladecprepair.com/

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Gino

Low rpm wobble is evident in FP. It normally smoothens out as you hover. If it doesn't, balance the blades with tape.

Being fixed pitch, you really don't have normal adjustability options. Bending the blades seem to be a temporary and pathetic attempt to rectify a flaw. It can be done, and work only if the blade holds its new shape.

If it hovers well and you can fly it, don't bother with tracking.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Ohhhh, heh. FP, as in, Fixed Pitch. Like this model here:
http://www.hobby-estore.com/esky-e00...elicopter.html

I thought you meant FP, as in the model 'Honey Bee FP':
http://www.hobby-estore.com/esky-fp-...elicopter.html

I'm not sure how to adjust the pitch of a main rotor blade if it's fixed pitch. But if it's collective pitch, then you'd adjust your blades like I described in my previous post. Sorry I'm not much help when it comes to 'fixed pitch' helicopters...
Old 11-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Gino

That honey bee fp looks like a detuned CP hehe. No electronic ccpm and one less servo.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
stardiamond

Wow. First of all, thank you Lawn Dart and Gino for your replies. Secondly, it looks like I may have made a small mistake on my part. When I said Honey Bee FP, I didn't realize that there actually IS a Honey Bee FP. I thought that the one I have was a FP (meaning fixed pitch ). It is in fact a Honey Bee 4 and it looks like this one mentioned in Lawn Dart's first link (see pic as to what I actually have). My fault. Even not knowing much about RC Heli's, it didn't sound right when the manual said to "bend the blades". That's why I decided to post here first. I was thinking about maybe buying a new set of blades and maybe that would help a bit. They don't cost much (under $10.00) and it doesn't hurt to have some spare ones. The way these heli's are boxed, it's no wonder the blades are off a bit (the heli sits in a styrofoam insert). I haven't flown it as yet. I wanted to be sure that the heli was setup right before I made any attempt to start practicing hovering. I've been practicing a bit on a pc training sim so I have an idea of how to trim it out, and I'm sure it will probably need it, at least a little. I know it's not the same as actually flying an rc heli in real time, but from the forums I've visited, it was recommended for those wanting to learn to fly. Got a question for you all. There are 2 round collars that sit right next to the paddles. Are they an adjustment type thing to make the heli more/less responsive to my control input? If not, what are they for? Just curious. I guess I will try to hover in the next day or so and see how it goes. I have a fairly good idea on how to balance the blades so I will check that too. Is there a special type of tape to use for balancing the blades if I need it? Thank you all for your input. It's most appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	esky4.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	18754  
Old 11-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
Gino

Oh so you haven't hovered yet. If you notice the wild wobble before the heli skims off the ground, that is "normal" for that model. Yeah, I know it can be wild but as it reaches hovering speeds that smoothens out. I suspect the blade shape changes as centrifugal force increases. So the trick is to spool it up till it smoothens out.

Also tighten or loosen the blade grip screws just enough to hold the blade in position when stopping and spooling up buy loose enough so the blades fold on impact. It protects the blade.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
seaking63
Funflier

i too had problems tracking the main rotor blades... but once properly track it was easier to fly.... i am not good wif words ...... so see my diagram.......hope tis will help u.........cheers

Attached Images
File Type: bmp blade track.bmp (37.0 KB, 4654 views)

Lama V3 - Honeybee FP - Honeybee King II
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Gino

Excellent solution you have. Now I can adjust that annoying wobble on my friend's FP. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
stardiamond

Thanks seaking63. That's an interesting pic. It looks to me like that would change the blade pitch and not the tracking so much but then again I have nothing to loose and everything to gain! I did order a spare set of blades, a spare tail rotor blade, a heatsink for the main motor and one for the tail motor from Ebay for $12.70. All brand new. Good price actually. I compared it to several sites and found the price to be a pretty good deal. I may just pull the blades I have on there now and try out the new ones. Might be easier than trying to track them. They may be closer to the proper setting since they weren't sitting in a box for who knows how long.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
seaking63
Funflier

G'day stardiamound , blade tracking is all about adjusting the angle of attack of both rotor blades until they track on the same line.

From Lawn Dartís CP (collective pitch) heli photos. blade tracking is done by adjusting the pitch control links of each rotor blades (shorten to reduce blade pitch and lengthen to increase blade pitch).

To identify the rotor blades, paint only one rotor blade tip with liquid paper. Slowly spin up the rotor. If the rotor blade with white tip is flying high compare with the other rotor blade. The pitch control link on the white tip blade is shorten by Ĺ turn to reduce blade lift, while the other rotor blade pitch control link is lengthen by Ĺ turn to increase blade lift. The number of turns to adjust on the pitch control links will depend on how far apart the blades are. These steps may need to be repeated a few times before both rotor blades will tracks on the same line.

Since FP (fix pitch) heli do not have pitch control links. Only way is to stick tape as shown in my previous diagram to change the blade pitch.

WORDS OF CAUTION: make sure donít get hurt during blade tracking.
Ensure both blades are align in a straight line looking from tip to tip or else it will wobble, hold the heli firmly at one arm length. spin up the rotor slowly until 1/2 throttle only, any higher is dangerous...

Happy tracking......

Lama V3 - Honeybee FP - Honeybee King II
Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
Commander_Drake
L5 Guild Navigator

View Commander_Drake's Gallery4

I also have problems understanding what the manual is trying to say about adjusting the tracking on my fixed pitch Honey Bee. It looks like they are showing two different adjustments, twisting the main blade to change the angle of attack, and bending the blade longitudinally to move the tip up or down (I know this sounds disgusting to all the CP guys).

Anyway, after a few tries I finally was able to improve the tracking using their method. And it seems to be staying too, which I didn't expect.

I'm not sure I understand the tape method. I'll have to try that too.

Anyway, I'm having tons of fun. This little bird sure can take abuse and keep flying.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
stardiamond

Commander_Drake,
How much force did you use to bend and twist the blade? I don't want to break anything especially since I just got this heli a week ago. The pitch seems ok, it's that one blade is higher than the other. Did you have to make any adjustments at all as far as the proportion trimmer and gain trimmer? Or was it pretty much ok the way it was? Also, when you charge your battery, does the charger get hot to the touch? By the time the battery is done charging, the battery is just warm to the touch but the charger is a bit on the hot side. Since you have the same heli as mine, I figured you be a good one to ask.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Commander_Drake
L5 Guild Navigator

Hi stardiamond, sorry for the delay.

It's hard to describe the force used but let's call it light to moderate. It did not feel like anything was going to break.

I did adjust both trimmers. The proportion trimmer needed about an eighth of a turn so that my trim on the transmitter would be centered. I only played with the gain (I think I reduced it) because it was fighting a little breeze outdoors. The wind would try to turn it and it would try to jerk back to its original heading and would start to oscillate back and forth. I also adjusted the length of the control rods so that all the trim levers are centered on my TX. It's obvious that they don't pre-fly these at the factory.

I hated the charger. Yes it got hot. The instructions seem to indicate that it discharges the battery first before charging it. I could never tell if it was discharging or charging. Sometimes I would get a long run out of the battery, sometimes not. I already have a Triton charger so I just use that instead.

Have fun!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 AM   #15
stardiamond

Thanks for the info Commander_Drake. I decided to ask you since you have the same bird as mine. I tried a little hovering the other day and it seemed to have a mind of it's own. Tried adjusting the trim but that didn't help much so I kind of figured I may have to adjust the pots a bit. Hopefully I'll do that over the weekend. It's funny because the place I bought it from (XHeli.com) claims they test all the helis before they sell them. Three times, from what it states on the website. I don't think so! Anyway, I'll just adjust the pots according to the manual. Before I forget, was it hard to disconnect the control rods to adjust them?
I just got an extra set of blades, and some other goodies from Ebay today just incase I need them. At least I know my charger is ok. I did buy another one from XHeli.com along with 2 more batteries so I can charge 2 batteries instead of 1 at a time.
I found a place called rc-expert.com from this website. They have the same batteries there for $5.00 each BUT they are located in Hong Kong, (I think it was) and my credit card was blocked by my credit union. When I called them and asked them why, they told me that they had alot of reports of fraud from Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, and Japan so they block those countries. Too bad. They had some real good prices.
Time to go to bed, Just got home from work and it's 1:47a.m. now. Gonna play this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again for the info!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #16
Commander_Drake
L5 Guild Navigator

stardiamond, It does seem to have a mind of its own. I'm constantly moving the sticks to keep it in front of me and facing the right way. These fixed pitch helis are not real stable. But the good news is they can take a lot of abuse and once you do learn to fly one then a nice stable CP heli will be a piece of cake.

I can hover mine in all orientations now and I took it outside to do some forward flight and flew in a circle. I am also using the free FMS simulator for practice.

No, it's not hard to remove the control rods. Just snap one end off its ball pivot and then unscrew or screw in the end to lengthen or shorten it, then snap it back on.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
stardiamond

Thanks again for your input. The connecting rods seemed kind of snug and I didn't want to damage them while trying to pop them off. I see you use the same slight sim as I do. I got the Esky flight sim from Ebay a few weeks back and they use the FMS software. I have a bunch of add on flight fields, heli's and planes that I downloaded. If you'd like, I can email them to you but I just need an email address from you. It's up to you. I don't think you should post your email address here, but I guess you can send me a private message with that info if you wish.
I did get my new main blades, tail blade, and heatsinks for the main and tail motors from Ebay. All Esky orignal parts and that's a good thing. I did notice that my heli tilts back a bit when I try to balance it via the paddle fly bar (with the battery installed of course), so I may have to add a bit of weight to the nose. Shouldn't be a problem though. As usual, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go fire up the bird now. Later!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
PilotDane

I also have a fixed pitch Honey Bee (it came with NiMh batteries but I mostly fly it with Lipos to get more practice time on a battery).

My main blade tracking was off by about 1/4". I firmly grabbed the root of the blade to prevent movement/damaging to the rotor head or attachment point and bent the blade as needed. I had to over bend the blade by about 4 times or more to get it to spring back to where I wanted it. In other words if I needed to raise the tip 1/4" I would bend the blade until the tip came up 1" and when I let go and it would spring back to about the right spot. The blade never felt like it was about to break so I think you are pretty safe as long as you don't damage the rotor head.

The main rotor tracking helped my vibration some but the real culprit was my tail rotor. I pulled it off and sat it on the edge of a razor blade and it was way out of balance. I put electrical tape on it until it balanced just like everyone tells you to do with the main and that made the biggest improvement in reducing vibration (at least for my HB).
Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
PilotDane

Balance:
My Honey Bee was always tail heavy with the battery mounted as they tell you to. Instead of adding weight I just moved the battery further forward. I have the front edge of my Lipo battery flush with the front edge of the receiver. I just hold it in place with a couple rubber bands.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #20
stardiamond

Thanks PilotDane for that info. The tracking on my main blades are off just a bit. Maybe a 1/4" or so, if even that! Probably less. I do need to take care of that though. I found that most of the vibration I had was caused by the blades being off abit when I fold them out initally. If I give them a slight tug and line them up properly with the head, I get nice smooth movement. I will check the tail blade also. I really haven't thought about that. Now I just need to adjust the connecting rods a bit more. I noticed that the forward/backward movement is off more the left/right movement. It is not too bad right now, better than when I first started off, but could use some more adjusting. As far as the heli balance goes, that is off only a very slight bit. I may not even mess with that actually. I doesn't really seem to be an issue all that much if at all.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters