Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-25-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
Ron

Friends: (2)
Question Eflite Blade Start to Finish

This is about acquiring and hopefully flying the Eflite Blade. Start to finish from opening the box to the final crash or success from a fixed wing pilot's point of view. I'm going to be brutally honest about everything...from my impressions of the model, to it's durability, suitability, quality, and my own foibles as I learn to fly it. I have never flown a helicopter before, so maybe a little history is in order here. I flew my first model airplane at the tender age of 11..I'm now 60, and have been flying electric models exclusively for more than 10 years. Mostly larger sizes 1/4 and 1/3 scale, pattern models,3D models, and many of my own design. 99% of the time I scratch build, but this year because of time restraints I have dabbled in small electric ARTF models. First was a Formosa followed by a GWS Tigermoth 400. What these two models have in common is that they are GWS products, powered by Eflite brushless outrunners and Eflite speed controls...all of which have performed flawlessly for the whole season. This may not seem like a big deal, but it made me think back on the last time I bought something that was basically perfect right out of the box, and as I remember, it doesn't happen very often. That's why I scratch build......... even my own gear boxes, hand make my large propellors ( anything over 24" ), wheels, and as a rule, make my own brushed speed controls....Heck, I'd even cut my own lumber if I could grow the balsa trees. These motors have been flown lots because I live at the local field ( it's part of my back yard) I fly every morning before work, and every evening before dark. ( sometimes in the dark)
Last summer, at one of the events I host , "Chilliwack Electric Fly In"
a small electric helicopter caught my attention. The reason is that the pilot had crashed it several times from a height and at a speed that made me think oh oh , that ones toast, and a couple minutes later one just like it was in the air again. I mentioned to the owner that this was either a very tough little heli, or he must have at least 20 in his motorhome. "Oh no" he said, " it's a Blade, and you have no idea what this little guy has been through." ....... For a couple of years now, I have been toying with the idea that a helicopter would be a neat addition to the fleet, but considered them too expensive/fragile/hard to fly.... Not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.
The fragility looked like it was not an issue with this particular model, so on to the big price tag. A trip to my local hobby shop took care of the " expensive" part....under 350 dollars Cdn. for a "ready to fly" ( we'll soon see about that ) model, complete with a charger, second battery , spare tail motor, main shaft , tail rotor,and a second set of main rotor blades... it seemed too good to be true! Now I just need to get it home, assemble it and after spending some time on the sim....fly it....woohoo ! It's now 10 PM Saturday night, and I'm about to open the box....Tomorrow night I'll tell you what I found, what kind of shape it arrived in, and my general observations on the whole situation. Be warned...I'm kinda fussy about my models......... In my opinion a poorly executed model is garbage, and I can't be bothered wasting my valuable " fun time" on junk. I would rather have one model that flies like a dream than 20 or so that are just adequate.
Hopefully I've made the right choice .
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Ron

Oh boy..my favourite part !
on opening the box, I discovered that it contained
a small helicopter, one 8 cell 650 mah nimh pack, 2 pieces of velcro, a plastic bag with 6 small tie wraps, some 2 sided tape, a small allen wrench, Transmitter and, a wall wart charger. As the items were removed from the box everything was initially checked and laid out on the bench.
It appeared that nothing was damaged or missing. The manual contained a loose page that explained that this machine has the new upgraded 3 bearing blade grip, and upgraded EFLRS75 micro servos.....time to put a battery on my peak charger to cycle it...decided not to even try the wall wart, as I figured it could damage the battery if left on too long, although I'm sure it will work just fine as a first charger. Next the instructions say to install a battery and balance your helicopter as per the photo...No matter how hard I tried, I could NOT get it to balance without trimming some off the bottom of the canopy as it would not fit over the installed battery. Got that issue resolved with a pair of scissors, and went on to inspect things a little closer before doing the
" control check ". One of the main blades was a little loose, so it was tightened just a smidge so that it would not flop around in the holder
without a tiny push. Next came the fly bar and paddles, so......Out with the vernier calipers to check that the fly bar is centered...( I heard from some heli flyer that this should be dead center ) It wasn't.
There was .062" diffefence in the two sides...that translates to 1/16 of an inch. Now we know what the included allen wrench is for. :p
After getting the flybar centered, I noticed that one paddle was tilted up about 5 degrees while the other was tilted opposite.......Next came a quick phone call to a friend in Alberta, who assured me that these should be perfectly parallel to the paddle control frame ( page 23 of the manual part # EFLH 1148) so out came the screw driver and needle nosed pliers, and the necessary adjustment was made. Next came the control test....
The main motor and tail motor were disconnected as per instructions, and the batteries installed in the Transmitter. Canopy off....transmitter on, flight battery plugged in. So far so good. ...after waiting for a couple seconds for the 4 in 1 to initialize, I tried the left stick...forward...swashplate lowers,increases pitch of main blades...( check) left stick back...swashplate raises lowers pitch of main blades, ( check) elevator pitch control next...right stick forward...swashplate tilts forward...( check) right stick back....swashplate tilts back...( check)...
Now viewed from the rear of the helicopter...Aileron/roll control..right stick left, swashplate tilts left...( check)...right stick right,...swashplate tilts right...( check ).....Man so far it's all working as planned ! next was to disconnect the flight battery and re-install the motor connections.....
Whew.....that was relatively easy...time to cycle the second flight battery
So far, to this point, everything was in the package, nothing was damaged in transit, and everything worked exactly as the manual said it would...Only thing to need adjusting was the flybar centering, and the paddles. Total time spent so far...1 hour and ten minutes..... Now to clean up the Garage floor...draw a one foot square on it with chalk and try battery number one....woohooo I can hardly wait.
This is a " teach yourself," correspondence type of flight training. I have no one in the close proximity that can even fly a helicopter..... never mind teach me, and this RADD guy talks a good line...........we'll see...I'm just stubborn/anal enough to follow his ten battery flight school to the letter...surely he's joking about flying in an area that's only one foot square And he doesn't want me to use training gear either !
more tomorrow>>>
Old 09-26-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Ron

picture of Blade as it arrived

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blade heli.JPG
Views:	2151
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1902
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Send a message via AIM to debhicks
Friends: (0)

Hello Ron? Hows it going? Just curious. Your a great writer and we are all just waiting on pins and needles for the rest of your story

Debbie Hicks AMA# 8601 Leader Member - Industrial
AD2H Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator
Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
Will's Hobbies Classified - Free
Asheville-Buncombe-Aeromodelers
Etowah Lions Club - Newsletter Editor, President 2006/2007
WCARS
Henderson County RACES member

Loving the Mountains of North Carolina
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
Ron

step 3.....Radd method started....Batteries 1, 2, 3.....
Last night my wife got a look at the one foot square area that I painted onto a 4ft by 4 ft. piece of 1/8" Hardboard......" why did you paint that little dinky square on the board Ron ? " Well honey, this is where I'm going to learn to fly my helicopter...... over the little red square......
That's my training field...what do you think? " WHAT? ARE YOU TOTALLY OUT OF YOUR FREAK'IN GOURD ? YOU'RE NUTTY AS A FRUITCAKE !!" Then as she left she muttered something about stupid old men and their toys...Gawd they never grow up...should be out cutting the lawn or cleaning stalls instead of this (*&^$%^)

Well.....as I said, after a word of encouragement from the wife, I set out to " fly out" the first set of batteries...I use the term fly very loosely, as Radd doesn't want lift off for awhile...step one...battery into the heli, Transmitter on, hook up flight battery...give the blades a tug...check all controls except throttle are working....wait for 4 in 1 to initialise...man, my palms are getting sweaty :o ...spin up verrrrry slowwwwly, well, the rotors are spinning, seems like the helicopter should be shaking, or vibrating or something??? It's just sitting there with it's two rotors spinning smooth as silk...little more throttle....RATZ. ...it moved out of the little red square.
Spin down.....pick up heli, put it in the middle of the red square......spin up.....GET THE TAIL RON>>>>GET THE TAIL...yup, got it....hold the tail , don't let it get away from you, keep it on the red square.....smidge more power....HOLD THE TAIL....
RATZ... .power down...pick up Heli...place it on the TEEENY red dot in the middle of the board. ...spin up....HOLD THE TAIL that's better....more power...good .....good, tiny bit more...HOLD THE TAIL DUMMY ok got it....teeny bit more..TAIL TAIL. RATZ. :o ..POWER DOWN....Walk over, pick up helicopter, place it on the microscopic red dot that you can just barely see it's so small...rest......Man it's sweaty in here... ...Spin up, hold the tail....little more throttle, hold tail....more throttle.....stay on the red dot.....more throttle....keep the tail, stay on the ground this is getting easier....RATZ....out of battery.........battery two.....first part was much like battery one, then I noticed I relaxed some, and the Teeny red square was getting somewhat easier to stay on...no problem holding the tail ....spin down....relax....Why was it so much easier this time
OK...spin up....hold the tail which is now getting somewhat easier...more power...still no problem....spin down....relax....oh I know....I'm starting to anticipate the tail and correcting before I'm into trouble.....hmmmm...this is so crazy, it just might work! Battery 3....do preflight...spin up slowly,
Tail..tail...yup got it...more power, just a smidge...we're doin OK here....teeny bit more power...WELL I'LL BE DARNED.....is the red square growing bigger???...It is so......this is easy......RATZ.. ..power down...pick up helicopter place it on the red square...think....Power up...didn't even have to think about the tail...it just happened...I'm not having to remind myself to hold the tail, it's just happening....before it gets out of shape too...LOOK the square just grew bigger!....RATZ....battery done.....
I did a fourth battery , because while I was flying out 2 and 3...1 was charging.....battery four had me looking good... the little red square felt like 5 acres to work in, Things were " just happenin" ...Wonder if I should get it off the ground yet?? Stay tuned for the answer......you just might be surprised at what happens next.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Man this is great. Should send this to RC Report. Gordon would probably pay you for this kind of writing.

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 09-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Ron

here is a pair of pictures of my " flying field" for the next 3 to 5 days....
the object is to keep the helicopter centered in the little red square..........not necessarily an easy task to start with, but it does get easier as time goes on

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airport.JPG
Views:	1596
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1947

Name:	my field.JPG
Views:	1765
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1948
Old 09-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
DannyR
Foam Flyer

Originally Posted by Ron
here is a pair of pictures of my " flying field" for the next 3 to 5 days....
the object is to keep the helicopter centered in the little red square..........not necessarily an easy task to start with, but it does get easier as time goes on
Ron:

This is absolutely great. Please keep up the story. I am planning on getting an Esky Honey Bee CP2 this xmas and learning to fly it over the winter. So, I am very very interested in your experiences.

Danny
Old 09-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
beemer
"Hukt un ee-phlyt"

Ron, my learning experiences were similar to yours. Except I didn't know enough to progress in "baby steps". I ended up with training gear, and a "red box" the size of your complete board!

All in all though, it's a great little bird. And given the proper care and attention will amaze you with it's stability, ease of flying and shear, brute strength when it takes a hit. I've had it drop in from about 30ft up, on it's side. All that broke was the landing gear! Amazing little machine!

I've been flying it for months now. As soon as I figured out to progress SLOWLY I stopped having to replace parts that broke due to my own ignorance.

If I can make a little suggestion, put on the heat sinks. Even with the stock battery the motors can get warm. I've found that the heat sinks (especially on the tail) keep the motor only warm to the touch.

Here's a few pics of my BladeCP. A little peel-n-stick covering material really can dress it up and help with seeing the spinning blades and tail rotor. The other pics are my Blade guts transplanted inside a new body. Surprisingly it was able to actually lift the heavy body and EDF tail unit on the stock pack!

Good luck with your progress, and keep us all posted.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	1503
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	2056

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	1712
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2057

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2058
Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
Ron

Yesterday, I decided to put on the training gear for " battery six"

By now the red square was no problem ...I was able to keep the heli pretty much dead center in all positions tail in...left side in...right side in, and nose in....now we were to get it light on the skids and rotate the swash to see what happened and how sensitive the machine is to stick inputs....spin up...get it light on the gear....rotate swash to see how the heli reacts....it became much more skittish, but was still controllable with a good helping of concentration..only got " out of the box" twice on the sixth battery, and both times early in the battery.....battery seven is used to scoot the heli forward , but keeping it under control at all times......scoot it forward 1 ft....spin down, pick up heli...place it at the start position.....repeat....( keep it under control at all times)
by now, the " 1 ft. box" is no big deal, and the reaction of the heli is anticipated before power is applied, and I found that corrections were automatically being made beforehand....
no trouble to keep the tail pointed in , just have to remember to relax, don't panic under any circumstances...twice during this pack the model came off the ground, and I figured I " likely" could control it and establish a hover, but, cooler heads prevailed, and it was landed gently.....Hmmm....it seems it's likely easier to land gently from this position than if I had gotten it into a hover and tried to hold it there.
That's using the old pumpkin....so far the Radd method has taught me when to say, you are not in complete control, you better land....
and yes I was out of the red square...exactly twice.... I have been noticing for some time now, that the heli wants to drift left as you apply power, and have been working on keeping it centered in the square ...it ain't perfect yet, but I got 3 batteries to go...this is actually going smoothly...much better than anticipated...I haven't been into my bag of spare parts yet, and I'm 3 batteries away from a hover .....hopefully.
batteries 8 and 9 are " my batteries"...that is I am allowed to do anything I wish as long as I stay on the ground...forward, back, sideways movement......at this point the control is not as much of an issue as in the beginning, so ....lets try this..... put the right skid on the left edge of the square.....move the heli forward till the back of the skids are touching the front edge of the square....move it to the right along the front edge, stop with left skid at the right edge of the square, move the heli back towards the back edge of the square....stop....move the heli left along the back edge of the square....repeat.... man WHAT WAS I THINKING??
This is gonna take about a hundred batteries....spin down....relax...use the old noodle....DON'T PANIC.... try again....this is really hard...maybe I should just scoot all over the floor....NO...If I can master this, I will be in control of the helicopter....c'mon buck up..just do it...remember how teeny the square seemed on the first battery?? by the end of battery 8...This was becoming a fun game try again...this time I made it more than half way around before I had to spin down and start over....The trick is to be totally honest with yourself.....anytime the machine does not do EXACTLY what you want...spin down and start from the beginning again.
and it's fun trying to beat your last attempt...yes the heli accidently came off the ground a few times, and I had to spin down and start over again, but control is getting better fast.... by the end of battery nine, I was having so much fun with this little exercise, that I decided to do a couple more batteries....I know this is a 10 battery method, but this little game is FUN ! :p now there are twelve batteries run through the heli...I can put a skid on the edge of the 1 ft. square, and move the helicopter around all four sides with one skid touching the edge of the square at all times...I even drew a line around the square two inches away from the sides so that there is a two inch wide path all around the outside edge of the square to run the skid in ( kinda like a sidewalk) ....If the skid comes out you have to spin down...pick up the heli by hand and place it at the starting point....
front and back of the square wants the skids centered over the 2" pathway..this gives a little more room for mistakes as you slide /fly sideways....yes the helicopter came accidently off the ground a few times, yes I had to " punish " myself by spinning down, walking over and picking up the helicopter, and placing it at the start point....on battery 8 lotsa times....on battery 12...not once for a whole pack....I am now confident that if I am outside, or in a large room, I AM going to be able to hover tail in under complete control....yes it will be wobbly at first, but I know that if I make up a few more games, hover will be rock solid in a few days... if you had asked me last Saturday evening how long it was going to take to fly this thing, I would have told you... likely months.
Here we are six days later...I still haven't tried to hover yet, but now instead of being afraid of it, I'm looking forward to the big event.
Total time spent so far........12 batteries.over 6 days...can I hover yet???
I haven't tried yet, but it's not going to be a problem ( being positive here)
Am I in complete control of the heli by the end of every little excercise or game YES 100% on basic games...99.9 % on the more " advanced " excercises.....do I think I can fly a helicopter YES>>>YES>>>YES..!!!
regarding the Blade helicopter itself it is performing perfectly without a problem...I had to adjust a few things as I got going into the flying lessons, but all negative flying characteristics ( I use the term flying loosely) have been easily trimmed out so far. I just had to stop and think for a few seconds about how what I was going to adjust was going to affect the model...once the brain got around that question, the trim adjustment was easy.
THIS WEEKEND>>>>I'M GONNA FLY THIS PUPPY JUST YOU WATCH !!
and to boot...I think it will likely be in decent trim
Old 10-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #11
gpeden
Mikado LOGO enthusiast

Hi Ron!

Is it airborne yet?

Cheers!

Glen
Old 10-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
Ron

Well this week has been a real bear at work, and the weather hasn't been good at all, but I managed to get a few batteries through the Blade.
I had a chance one evening to try the old hover trick in a church parking lot near to where I work....it wasn't as easy as I had anticipated, but do able....First problem was the foam balls I put on the gear....styrofoam doesn't work...I wasn't able to get 4 ping pong balls, so I used 4 styro ones. As the heli slid across the parking lot, the bottoms of the foam balls became flatter and flatter until they had worn off right up to the carbon fibre rods. If only I could get it into the air more quickly, this wouldn't happen, so spin up till it's light on the skids.....yup.. yup....now....lotsa throttle and it should....hey!!! what's it doin way up there tail tail...
get the tail.....don't panic, and don't move any thing especially sticks fast, or far.....ok now less throttle....NO DON"T CHOP THE THROTTLE!!!!
slowly off the throttle, don't worry , you have lots of room, and if this breeze would let up things would be going ok...WHEW! got it down in one piece.....man it's nervous out here ! Good thing that big cedar hedge was there when the wind gusted up, it was a nice soft place to land How did I manage to land right on top of it anyway?? OK....just have to practise getting off the ground without getting half a mile into the air, and boy are things different at 9 in the evening under a parking lot light than they are at home in the safety of my little airport.:o Let's have a look at things...absolutely no damage to the model, knees have a few bruises on the insides ( from knocking each other) ...palms sweaty and sticky, ....most of the people who had appeared out of thin air to watch seem to have been able to stop laughing, and I didn't kill any body...well I got to try again.....next flight I got it off the ground reasonably quickly to an
altitude of about 1 foot, and was so surprised that I had it in the air so easily, that I completely forgot about the tail, and that I was sending everyone running for their lives, better get this puppy on the ground....off throttle....and we're still in one piece....that's good, but next time, remember the part about SLOWLY decreasing throttle. Well a couple more of these episodes, and I was ready for the next battery...just had to answer the cell phone first. OK now the wind is up to about 5 to 10 mph, and I really like this little helicopter, so I figured that a good helping of discretion ( common sense ) would be appropriate here sooooo...in goes another battery, it's spinning up just fine aaaaaand it's off ! HEY it's flying...oops that hedge did it again...saved my model...I think hedges are good!..Well it's ten thirty on Thursday evening, and it's blowing a gale out here , it's cold and starting to rain, the wife is at the inlaw's place and the pub is about 100 ft from where I'm standing.......guess what happened next? .... unfortunately, for you...there's more to come.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

HE HE HE HE HE HA HA HA HA. Lord I have to get up off the floor. I still say you should submit all this to Gordon. Gordon, where are you?

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #14
Ron

OK....Sunday afternoon...finished my shift at 16:00 instead of 17:30..........the Blades in the car...batteries are charged...and all the bloody parking lots are all FULL !! ....hmmm.....I know! back to the pub parking lot.....wait a minute, I'm the only car in our parking lot, and the building is between me and the wind, I already took the little foam balls/half balls off the training gear who needs em anyway?? allright.....The pub parking lot it is...
Battery one into "chopper 1" and we're off to the races...for some reason today, the little bugger wants to fly backwards, and I'm having a devil of a time keeping the tail in...twice, not once but TWICE I tell you, I had to jump up while the Blade flew under me...to a safe landing I might add....I was so intent on trying to figure out why it was taking the whole 1 acre parking lot to hover this teeny helicopter, that I was not doing a good job at keeping the tail pointed in....time to re think the whole process.
seems to me that the Gyro is supposed to keep the tail sorta straight, the helicopter is supposed to fly itself and you are only supposed to tell it where to go...That's what the flight instructions said....makes sense to me...it works on airplanes....why am I chasing this rotten Son of a sea biscuit all over creation trying to keep it straight? OH I got it, it isn't flying itself .... why am I constantly behind here?? that wasn't happening on the ground. ..What happens when it comes off the ground? Lets try....
spin up, more revs....it's off and I'm chasing the tail constantly. ..in fact so much am I working on keeping the tail in, that I haven't got time to,............. GOT IT!!
Needs more gyro sensitivity OK....turned it up a little, somewhat better...turned it up a teeny bit more....VOILA. ...perfect....it flies itself , I just have to point it in the right direction this is my last battery that's charged, and I'm runnin out of daylight, but there is a definite change in the way the heli is handling, It's so easy to fly, I'll bet I can land it on the roof of my Jimmy...I must have said it out loud, because the guy who snuck out from the pub on the other side of the parking lot to watch, said..."bet you a pint you can't."....He kinda startled me, so since my concentration was blown, I landed...." bet you a pint you can't land it on the roof of your Jimmy" you know what fella??? for a pint of beer, do you think I'd try something THAT stupid??? " how bout 2 pints then ? "
for 2 pints? did you say TWO pints?? what did I just tell you.....two pints eh? .........watch this........Well...after I picked the helicopter up off the roof of my car,
I wasn't brave enough to try to take off, I figured the training gear would catch on the luggage rack...( my mommy didn't raise no dummy), I went in and collected my two pints of Guinness. So far the repair bills and spare parts used out of the " bag of spares" has amounted to nothing, the heli is working just fine, it's so much more stable now after two little tweaks of the gyro, and I think I can likely get it even better with a couple of hours of flying and trimming/tweaking. I'm confident that it will eventually be rock solid with almost no pilot input/error needed. Tomorrow is another fly day, and I'm going to be at the same parking lot at the same time,
but this time it's gonna cost that guy 3 pints if he wants to see " tricks" :p ...this is proving to be a very educational project... the Blade heli has been landed very hard a few times, has been flown/blown into a cedar hedge twice, has never broken or done anything to make me regret buying it...As far as the ready to fly right out of the box...I'm sure if you are an accomplished helicopter pilot, it is definitely flyable instantly out of the box. For me...it took about 16 batteries before I finally figured out how to
hover it. it's been so much fun, that now I'm gonna learn to FLY IT.
As far as the Radd method goes....I highly recommend it....just don't get carried away with your small successes and follow " the program"...It works...next I'm going to try the old side in and nose in hovers and forward flight...just a few feet, stop, turn 180 degrees, fly forward a few feet, stop, turn 180 degrees..repeat until thoroughly bored, but have it mastered. To make a long story short ( I know, too late already )
if you are thinking to try your first helicopter, and can read and follow instructions to the letter, and can be a little patient, ie. take baby steps along the way, but lots of them, this is a great little model, and I highly recommend it.....As far as being tough/crash resistant......I have no idea how mine is going to fare, but if it's anything like the one I saw last summer at the fly in....it's going to do just fine.....gotta go.........got batteries to charge..................
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #15
RonJ

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Ron,

Really enjoyed your account of learning to fly the Blade. I'm only 70 and the Blade is my first experience with a helicopter. Twenty plus years of flying everything else. I have printed out your posts and will use it as a guide. Where can I find the "Radd" info? Looking at a simulator and I believe in Santa Claus so who knows.

RonJ
Wisconsin
Old 10-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #16
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Ron,

Really enjoyed your account of learning to fly the Blade. I'm only 70 and the Blade is my first experience with a helicopter. Twenty plus years of flying everything else. I have printed out your posts and will use it as a guide. Where can I find the "Radd" info? Looking at a simulator and I believe in Santa Claus so who knows.

RonJ
Wisconsin
Good to see you learning new things. You'll enjoy the Blade. I do. I am overly patient though. I love reading Ron's account of his experience. He is a great writer

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 10-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #17
Ron

RonJ It should be here....www.dream-models.com/eco/batteryo6html

This is for battery 6, but it will allow you to get to the whole site.
I thank you for your kind words on the writing....I had decided to write this, because I hate the.." it came in a 12X9X14 box that was brightly coloured" type of review...I have several Eflite products that work really well, and when I decided to try the Blade as my first Heli, I figured maybe others might wish to have a look to see just how easy or difficult an old f--t would find it to learn. ....As it stands I would recommend the Blade....BUT...if it had not been a good solid machine that wasn't near their advertising claims, I would have said so....I paid for it myself, so I figured that an honest appraisal of the product shouldn't be a problem....too many times I've seen reports of " good stuff" that is actually less than satisfactory when you get it home, and I thought these guys deserved a pat on the back for their efforts so to speak.I certainly am glad to hear that I've got at least another 10 or so years of flying left.....Deb.... I will keep you informed from time to time on the flying, and I hope you get as much fun out of your Blade as I'm having with mine...I'm going to keep the gear on until I've mastered the whole Radd method...then, I think I'll likely try a larger model, but that's next winter.......meantime, I have to get back to work on my 1/4 scale Fokker D V111 as it is supposed to be ready for Easter, and I've sorta neglected it for the last few months.........Oh by the way...simulator to get started was the free FMS one....then I went to radio shack, and bought a cheap 2 stick controller to use as the transmitter......It was great to get the first few problems worked out, but I only was on it for three evenings after my Radd training for the day....I may use it again, but it's not nearly as much fun as the real thing, and I don't think an expensive simulator would have helped me any more than this one.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #18
bsoder

Friends: (1)

http://www.vankets.com/eco/ is the top link. I got my Blade two days ago.

edit to add: here's another online flight school - http://www.littlerotors.com/flyinglessons/index.asp
Old 10-17-2005, 01:28 AM   #19
Gullwing

View Gullwing's Gallery5
Default e-flite Blade

Got my Blade today

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2633.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2729

Where's the muffler bearing on this thing
Old 10-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #20
RonJ

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Ron/bsoder

Thanks for the info. Weather has been great lately and I have been practicing 3D with my SX-3 outside. The heli practice will commence when the weather gets lousey. Love this "All Weather" hobby.

RonJ
Old 10-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #21
Ron

RonJ / bsoder...........This is a great little heli...I know it's not supposed to be a " beginners " machine, but it is actually really good, and surprisingly not too hard to get flying the only things you have to be very fussy about, is the tail mix and gyro settings...this will take you a little longer to figure out than it would someone who has been flying for years, but take your time adjusting it, and it will eventually get " dialed in" ...also every piece of information you need to get it going right, IS in the manual....
Follow the " method" to the letter, don't try to get her in the air before you are ready...when I was finally ready to leave the ground, there was no real nervousness....at least before hand....got the " pucker factor " way up there while in the air a few times though....but no crashes so far.
I have had it 3 weeks now, and am working on flying in a specific direction for a specific distance, then another, but all under complete control....
one thing about setting the heli down on the ground each time you are not in 100% control, is that you learn how to takeoff and land very quickly....it will seem like you aren't doing that great at times, but all of a sudden the switch will turn on, and you will be hovering, then flying...all without having had to buy a million dollars worth of parts. You are gonna love your new toy...mine has been a heap of fun. Right now it's going to get it's second maintenance inspection, and it looks like everything is going to be fine..it's flying box stock, and still has all the original equipment in it.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #22
bsoder

Friends: (1)

I've already tweaked mine some - but that's primarily because I can't leave well enough alone. I am using my JR6102 tx with mine, I like being able to play with the curves and such.

One thing I can say - practicing hovering in the garage with a car on one side and a wall on the other (mabye 10 feet across) does wonders for focusing your attention. I probably ought to back the other car out...
Old 10-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #23
hjacobson
amensch

Default Kudo to Ron and Q about Eflite BCP transmitter layout

Ron,

Your journal "Eflite Blade Start to Finish" is inspiring. I'm almost your age, never flown a model helicopter. I began reading your journal inclined to do so the way you've done, which is methodically with the Radd method. I don't care to begin with a simulator since I work with computers all day. Given who I am I think it will be thrilling fun to learn to fly a Blade CP all by myself, slowly and steadily.

I've read the manual. Curiously it doesn't describe all the controls and switches on the transmitter. Re-reading the manual and a little web search prompts me to ask, have I identified controls correctly?

Left lever up/down is throttle which also varies collective pitch (swashplate lowers/raises).
Throttle trim to the right of left lever
Left lever right/left is rudder (which varies what?)
Rudder trim below left lever
Right lever up/down is elevator (viewed from side, swashplate tilts fore/aft)
Elevator trim to the left of right lever
Right lever right/left is aileron (viewed from rear, swashplate tilts right/left)
Aileron trim below right lever
Four switches lower right are servo reversing in this order: aileron, elevator, throttle, rudder.
There is a USB port on the body of the transmitter.
Switch upper left corner is trainer. Trainer shuts off power to antenna, activates USB port.
Switch upper right corner is idle up (described in manual).
The button below the middle tab is the power switch.

Thank you for sharing your journal!

Regards,
Harry
Old 10-17-2005, 07:11 PM   #24
Ron

Harry....
left lever...throttle and rudder
trim for rudder varies the tail rotor to turn the nose right or left
this is the part of the " mixing" that you might have to play with...it's the mix of the amount of tail rotor in relation to the main rotor...when you get it right, and then get the gyro gain right, it will almost hover hands off....I notice that people are complaining that the machine will not stay at a constant hover height with a particular throttle setting....I think that this is one of the things to learn...ie. heli goes up...too much throttle....heli goes down....not enough throttle....once you realise this is going to happen seemingly all on it's own, you will anticipate it and automatically correct for height....it's kinda like balancing a ball on the end of a stick...you CAN do it....it just takes some committment and practise ...For the first while, it's a slippery little devil, but it gets better with time. also...for the first while....at least till you can consistently hover out a whole pack.....don't use the idle up function...it will save you lotsa dollars for rotor blades.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #25
Ron

Just an update on progress with the Blade...it's got over 100 batteries through it and it's still going strong.....Hovering is now just a matter of lift off, and do it. When I started to hover, I was happy if I could stay up for 1/4 of a pack....then I decided to try to keep the heli in a specific location...ie....between the lines of a parking stall and in an area the size of a car...pretty tough at first...then I shrunk the size to 1/2 a stall....then 1/4.....now I can almost hover out a whole pack over the
X made by the intersecting lines .....No I haven't had to buy any new parts yet...I damaged one rotor blade in a windy day incident, but fixed it with CA and sand paper...recovered it with monokote, rebalanced it and it's still going ok....still have original tail motor, and original blades.....I think that since I'm not in a real hurry to do aerobatics, I'm not having many incidents....have started side in both sides, and am starting to move the heli around at will pretty much...and under total control....If it doesn't do exactly what I want, I land it...pick it up...place it at the start point and begin again..This may sound dumb, but when you think about it, I'm learning to takeoff and land really well ......every time I land to replace the heli at the beginning point, I'm getting time to think about what I did wrong, and why the model isn't doing what I want it to...also, this isn't a contest to see who can fly the best ...it's supposed to be a learning experience and fun...I'm a winner on both counts here, and am amazed how well everything is working. I was at the local hobby shop yesterday and the guy asked me how many parts I need...he was some surprised when I told him none I was there for some 1/16 balsa sheet... this is still a great little model, and I'm having a blast with it...anyone who is thinking of a first heli, ...........this is a good one to get.
If a largeer version comes out and is available in my area...I'll be first in line to get one.

Was flying electrics waaaay before it was cool

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters