Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #26
Gullwing

View Gullwing's Gallery5
Friends: (0)

Hey Ron, Great job, I have been using the same method. I'm not in any hurry to go crazy with it. I have upgraded to the aerobatic setup. I think it flys more stable, and the 3 cell really keeps me from having to keep trimming it out........Keep it the air.............GW

Where's the muffler bearing on this thing
Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #27
beemer
"Hukt un ee-phlyt"

Way to go Ron. Glad to hear you're progressing so well. Keep up the happy flying.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #28
Shadrack
Electric only.

Look at all the new toys coming! And no, don't work for them, would like to though! Just thought you guys would enjoy seeing all the additional add ons. I won't be going brushless on mine as I don't see the sense since it flies so well and with decent lipoly batteries, flight time isn't much of an issue. Even if I burn out motors, will take a lot before it adds up to the cost of brushless.

NEW Blade CP Spare and Option Parts

EFLH1122C - Carbon Fiber Tail Rotor Blade: BCP Retail: 12.99
Rigid carbon fiber construction for improved control response
Lighter weight with added durability

EFLH1136 - Canopy Mount & Grommet Set: BCP Retail: 2.99
Replacement carbon mounting rods and grommets for canopy

EFLH1144 - Head Dampening Shim: BCP Retail: 1.99
Shims used to stiffen head dampening for improved control response

EFLH1170 - Bell Mixer Upgrade Kit: BCP Retail: 24.99
Adds Bell-Hiller mixing to deliver lightning-fast cyclic response for aggressive aerobatics
- Three ball bearing equipped blade grips with mixing arms
- Kit includes complete hardware with all components, six ball bearings and spindle pre-assembled for quick and easy installation

EFLH1171 - Bell Mixer Main Blade Grip Set: BCP Retail: 9.99
- Replacement blade grips for those using the Bell Mixer Upgrade Kit

EFLH1172 - Bell Mixer Arm & Pushrod Set: BCP Retail: 4.99
- Replacement mixer arms and pushrods for those using the Bell Mixer Upgrade Kit

EFLH1175 - Aluminum Swashplate Set: BCP Retail: 34.99
- CNC machined aluminum construction for added durability
- High precision for improved control response
- Blue anodized finish
Old 11-05-2005, 11:38 PM   #29
Motions

Thumbs up

Ron, you have written an amazing instruction guide that many of us won't be able to do without. I really appreciate the extended time you have taken to document every last detail.

I've been learning on my own for the past 2 weeks and use my own method (which is no method). I've been hopping around, crashing , and buying more parts. I just purchased the Blade today and I'm charging as I type. I may give your method a try. I'm just one of those impatient people that just wants to push the left stick up and fly. If I can force myself to slow down I'll try the baby steps method.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Scott
Old 11-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
Ron

Friends: (2)

The " baby steps" type of learning is really a lot cheaper than just going for it.....I still haven't had what I'd call a real crash....I've been using this as a FP heli until this last week, and started using the idle up function on tuesday.....no I'm not doing all sorts of exciting type aerobatics, but I'll bet my precision is better than most at this stage , ...and I'm still not buying any parts...at about 4 ft. off the ground, I can do pretty much anything I want to with almost total control. I say almost, because there's still the odd time when I have problems.....stick with it..you'll get it soon :-)

Was flying electrics waaaay before it was cool
Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #31
Motions

Well, I get a pretty good hover out of the Blade now so I'm probalbly passed the RADD method. Now that I can hover I'm definately going to take it slow and hover tail in until I'm absolutely sick of it.

My only problem seems to be orientation. I'll put quite a bit of sim time in to work on that.

I am very happy with the Balde CP. It's a really nice flyer and more durable than I expected.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #32
MidwestFlyer

Would love to see the RADD method in print. The links given earlier in this thread seem to be invalid. I, too, have a Blade CP, and really want to learn to fly it. I have been temted to buy an additional heli - something like one of the newer T-Rex birds, to work on assembly, while I learn to fly the BCP.

If anyone has good links to the RADD method, please send them along.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #33
Motions

Here's the good link.

http://www.vankets.com/eco/flying-past-hover.html
Old 11-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #34
RonJ

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

The weather here in Wisconsin has been to good to practice on my Blade CP. Saving that for the nasty stuff to come and the weekly indoor fly'n we have available at an armory. Currently working on mastering my SX3 and having a ball.
Invested (???) in a RF G3 simulator program. Don't know if I did the right thing or not as just had to order a vdeo card to boot, (they don't tell you that). Add to that I am computer illiterate it may cost me a few bucks to have the stuff installed. Oh well, just have to sell another of my old fuel burners. Bottom line for an ol' 70 year old R/C nut--I'm having fun.

RonJ
Old 11-08-2005, 04:48 AM   #35
t. edwards

RonJ, Where in Wi.? Tom
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #36
RonJ

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Tom
Sparta, we have a good bunch of electric flyers in the area. Fly almost every day.

RonJ
Old 11-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #37
subaru

Thanks Ron very nice review. I hope to get a blade for christmas. Can't wait to get her in the air. I have been flying fixed wing for about 16 years now. I have Aero fly pro flight sim so that should help.

Brian
Old 11-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #38
Ron

subaru....thanks...hope you have as much fun with yours as I'm having with mine....still to date have only nicked one blade tip, so I shortened the rotor blades 1/4" and re covered and re balanced them...they still work fine....I'm still on the original tail motor...have replaced the batteries in the transmitter a couple times. I guess it's pretty near time to ditch the training wheels now.......deb...how are you coming along with your flying? haven't heard from you in a while.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #39
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Send a message via AIM to debhicks

Ron,

Honestly getting ready for the holidays has tempered my flying. We have a shop full of inventory now and my flight space has become limited. I hope after the holiday rush I'll have some fly time.

Wow, you still using your training gear. Thought I was being overly cautious. I have had to replace a tail rotor motor because of dumb thumbs.

I will master it. The cool thing is the CX is coming tomorrow and we have a demo model coming in. Perhaps that will help me build a little confidence. Because I will just have to fly it.

We have been really excited about the new radio coming out too. This hobby is way too cool. Just cot the cessna 182 E-Flite in today to. Boy so much oh and the hobbyzone Freedom now that is a cool trainer. Mean looking trainer.

See I've been a little busy.

Glad to hear your doing fine.

Debbie Hicks AMA# 8601 Leader Member - Industrial
AD2H Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator
Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
Will's Hobbies Classified - Free
Asheville-Buncombe-Aeromodelers
Etowah Lions Club - Newsletter Editor, President 2006/2007
WCARS
Henderson County RACES member

Loving the Mountains of North Carolina
Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #40
hjacobson
amensch

Talking

I got my BCP Saturday. My wife said, "OK". I didn't waste any time. Now she looks at me suspiciously like I should be doing something productive.

I am! I'm up to battery 4 of Radd's method. I'm gonna master keeping the skids centered in that little square foot box as I rev it up......

Ron, I re-read the beginning of this thread when I unpacked the box. Very helpful! Thanks!

Regards,
Harry

P.S. Funny, I get more chores done now just so I won't be interrupted with the helicopter.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #41
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Ahhhh so that's the trick. MMMMM maybe that will work with my husband

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 11-22-2005, 11:57 PM   #42
Motions

Deb, I took my training gear off couple weeks ago. I thought it was too soon but I had to try it. I was amazed at how much easier it was to fly. Takes off, lands and hovers so much better.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #43
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

I got to get a bigger spot to fly in before I do that. I have a Lions Den I can fly at whenever I want. Maybe I'll bring it home and do that for my day off Tomorrow, ok after I stuff and cook the turkey, make the cheesecake and the mashed potatoes for dinner.

: ) My work is never done.

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #44
zockolo
ZeFlyer

Club: CARC Lanaudière
Exclamation Question about blade and JR6102?

Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
I've already tweaked mine some - but that's primarily because I can't leave well enough alone. I am using my JR6102 tx with mine, I like being able to play with the curves and such.

One thing I can say - practicing hovering in the garage with a car on one side and a wall on the other (mabye 10 feet across) does wonders for focusing your attention. I probably ought to back the other car out...
Hello bsoder!

Can you tell me how you manage to make your Tx work wih the 4in1 Rx of the blade? What crystal are you using? Did you completely change the electronic setup?
Thanks for the info!
Zockolo.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #45
hjacobson
amensch

Question "the heli wants to drift left ....."

I've done a bunch of extra batteries between Radd's 5th and 6th, trying to slide the BCP to the right without lifting the skids off the floor to keep it centered in the foot square. What a stubborn little thing! I can slide the BCP left, forward, back. Sliding it right is my showstopper.

The way I've succeeded is to bring the head speed nearly to flight speed and "hop" the copter back over to the right. This doesn't seem the right method; doesn't Radd intend I slide the copter to the right, not hop the copter to the right? When I slowly increase right aileron the copter eventually tips to the right rather than slide to the right. I try various combinations of elevator/aileron/throttle, always keeping the tail straight. I increase head speed and eventually the BCP will hop over to the right. I'm pretty good keeping the tail centered straight and I've experimented letting it vear a little one way or the other between 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock as I wiggle the aileron/elevator and throttle sticks. Maybe I've just not hit that perfect sequence of stick movement.:o

I've checked alignments of the head: eyeballed blade pitch at zero throttle (I have no pitch gauge ...yet... I compare blade pitch to the bookshelf behind where I sit the copter), eyeballed paddle pitch, centered the paddles with caliper. There's no vibration of the head except at a particular speed - between 1/3 throttle and 1/2 throttle, with aileron way to the right and elevator way forward. Otherwise smooth as silk.

This is where I wish I had a mentor looking over my shoulder!

Maybe there's something sharp on the bottom of the right skid digging into the floor ... I'm going to check that. I'm going to keep at it.

Comments and/or suggestions, please? I'm running out of ideas!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #46
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

How much have you worked with your trim controls? Just a thought. I have had a dickens of a time trying to get this is a stable hover. Then if I do I get nervouse and screw it up but I will get it.

I found yesterday that I usually have to work the trim a little and this is true if I don't put the battery in the exact same place evertime. Could be my imagination but I trimmed yesterday and it started performing much better.

I am just about ready to take off the training gear and see if that is my hold up. Not sure how to break my throttle chop habit.

Have the throttle trim so that when full up I am almost at takeoff and hover speed so I don't have to put the throttle up as far to achieve the same affect.

Just some things I am doing. I do find I must work both sticks all the time. And I have to remember that I have to give it opposite commands to correct.

I can do it. Not sure if any of that helps or not. I am not a trainer or expert.

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #47
hjacobson
amensch

I bring the throttle trim to center. I've experimented with the rudder trim, which needs to be changed as the NiMH battery drains. I've not done much with the elevator or aileron trims. I'll try fiddling with that.

Radd suggests the helicopter will drift to the left, which is what Ron found. I haven't hovered, of course. That's reserved for Radd's battery 10 or beyond.

I really want to get this "slide to the right" accomplished before I put on training wheels for Radd's battery 6.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #48
Ron

When you spool up, does the heli want to go left all on it's own?? perhaps the aileron trim is out some...I found that mine when trimmed properly wants to go left on it's own on takeoff........Deb....perhaps if you are having trouble with the hover your gyro isn't sensitive enough..I was having a terrible time keeping it all together ...tail...height...left , right ...until I decided that the heli wasn't basically flying itself...increased the gyro sensitivity a small amount twice and things changed real fast.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #49
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Cool, I'll try that. Thanks

Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
WCARS

Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #50
hjacobson
amensch

Talking moving right

I DID IT!
Well, I didn't but ...... Well, here's the story:

It was Friday afternoon, I got home from work, the house was empty, I was eager to mess with the trims.

I brought it up a little less than 1/3 throttle - enough for the Blade CP to be light on the skids. That should have rung an alarm bell. Earlier batteries took about 1/2 throttle for the BCP to move light on the skids.

I held it steady for a moment. Then I proceeded to move a trim a little. I increased and decreased the throttle to see where the BCP wanted to go with the changed trim, learning the behavior of the BCP with trim changes. I did this before. Won't hurt to repeat it....

I did that a while feeling I was learning something guaranteed to get the BCP sliding to the right. So I increased throttle bit by bit, working to keep the BCP centered.

It began sliding left, with lot's of vibration. I was fighting it. Dang!

I stopped. Vibration. Duh. Where from? Uh. The BCP nicked the fire place screen the other day in a moment of un-Radd-like lack of discipline. Chipped the forward corner of the black striped blade. A tear on the trailing edge about mid-way down the red striped blade. I ignored it then. But the spinning blades indicated red stripe was a little below black stripe. Hmmm. Shorten, NO lengthen red stripe's pitch link half a turn. That's right. I want to increase the pitch of red stripe to bring it up. Un-plug battery, turn link, plug battery. It spooled up smoothly. I'm gonna have this thing sliding right in no time. It moved smoothly. Now.......

No dice. No matter how smoothly I guided it, IT JUST WOULDN'T SLIDE RIGHT. The future looked bleak. I saw batteries marching single file into the future, endlessly trying to slide right. I thought of quitting.

I remembered Ron up thread writing about pointing the BCP to the left, to the right, face back. Duh. If I couldn't slide the thing to the right I'll point it right and move that way! Ron said he'd pointed it about 4th or 5th battery. I hadn't yet. About time. When you gotta jump the falls, jump!

I jumped. Turn 90 degrees right...uh, right rudder. Stop...center rudder. Another 90 degrees.... right rudder...stop. Center the tail. Whoa! A little wobbly.....

Hey, it was awkward at first but it got better! The proverbial light went off in my head. I had that BCP pirouetting about this way and that, keeping more or less centered in the foot square. Well, OK I was a little sloppy and my tolerances were large at first, but I was getting the hang of it! I increased throttle. Clockwise. Move 90 degrees. Stop. Move 90 degrees. Keep centered.... Hey, let's try counter-clockwise! Hey, I can do this!

I realized I hadn't throttled off to punish myself, Radd-like. I realized I didn't have to 'cause I kept it in the square! This was long flight time! Well, not fly off the floor time but, you know what I mean.

I laughed. I kept at it up to the end of the battery. I don't think I let it out of the square once after that. I'd pirouette the BCP and move it in any direction I wanted. I moved it around the perimeter, making tighter square turns, first one direction, then back. Quicker and quicker, it became a dance. Then the battery was going. The blades slowed. Then I played with the sticks, watching the motion of the swash plate, till the blades stopped rotating.

Wow. What an experience. I still haven't gotten it to slide right. I gotta re-read Radd's manual to see where I go from here.

Harry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters