Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #51
Pyrock

Friends: (0)

There is some good reading here. Is the Blade CP ok for beginners? I've been flying electric RC planes for a few years and I've gotten pretty good. I've also gotten pretty good at hovering with G2 and manage to hover nose in. Is the Blade CP ok for me to start with? I just want to keep assembly and setup to a minimum which is why I'm considering the Blade CP. Any info would be helpful./
Old 12-07-2005, 01:10 AM   #52
Motions

I started on the BCP and still fly it. I had no RC experience at all. Had my fair share of crashes but the only thing I have replaced on mine are the main blades (several times). If your really good at hovering on the sim, your learning curve on the BCP will not be bad at all. I would recommend it.

Scott M

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:02 AM   #53
Pyrock

Originally Posted by Motions View Post
I started on the BCP and still fly it. I had no RC experience at all. Had my fair share of crashes but the only thing I have replaced on mine are the main blades (several times). If your really good at hovering on the sim, your learning curve on the BCP will not be bad at all. I would recommend it.
Thanks for the info. I just picked one up a couple of hours ago. I also got the hop-up kit which included the heat sinks, motor w/ different pinion gear, and the symetrical blades. Fortunately, my LHS has plenty of parts although I got the last Blade CP. I installed the hop up parts and also changed the battery connector to micro deans because I have three TP 1320's and one TP 900 which all have micro deans. I also have a PolyQuest 1100 and a GWS 1300 lipos (all 3S) so I think I have plenty of batteries. I just have to shut her down as soon as the bird starts to show signs of power loss since it doesn't have an auto shut-off built in which leads me to my question....

Does anyone know how long a Thunder Power 3S 1320 will last in a normal hover before I should shut down? Also, any other tips before I try to take her up?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 AM   #54
Ron

Friends: (2)

I would recommend that you use the stock setup for learning...at least use the flat bottom blades......I have had mine for a couple months now, and it is my first heli...only have replaced one set of blades...It will do everything you are going to be capable of for the first long while in the stock configuration.....going to lithiums is not a problem, but I would stay with the stock blades for sure...it isn't like a sim...... it is more slippery to control, and things happen a lot faster in real life so to speak.It's likely going to be a while before you are hovering out a full pack of any type battery...don't be in a rush to spend money on " upgrades" it doesn't need them ....it IS a tough little model though, and you should like it just fine.

Was flying electrics waaaay before it was cool
Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 AM   #55
zappedalaskan

View zappedalaskan's Gallery4

Hi Ron,
I have a question for you.. I know a sim is different (as you stated above) But I downloaded a blade for my sim. One thing i noticed on the sim is that the tail motor lacks authority. I tried to make it Tic-Toc and it won't bring the tail around at that attitude. Is this the same with the real thing? If you wanted to do (minor) 3D would it require a high authority tail motor? I am curious. I went with the CX to keep the cabin fever at bay It is perfect for hovering around the house. Thank you kindly in advance.
Jay

There are two dogs inside of me. One is good, one is evil.
These two dogs are always fighting a constant battle.
Which dog wins? The one I feed the most...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #56
Motions

Jay, are you using FMS or something else? The BCP in FMS is completely wrong on the tail. The real BCP will hold the tail pretty steady. The one in FMS looks like it has no gyro at all.

Scott M

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:43 AM   #57
zappedalaskan

Originally Posted by Motions View Post
Jay, are you using FMS or something else? The BCP in FMS is completely wrong on the tail. The real BCP will hold the tail pretty steady. The one in FMS looks like it has no gyro at all.
Hi Motions,
It is for FMS. But I am not so much talking about the tail being steady or the HH working properly. What I am talking about is going in full forward flight, and pulling back. Pointing the nose of the heli straight up until it is almost to stall, then swing the rudder around clockwise until it stalls. Some heli's swing the tail around at that point easier than others. I was just wondering how an aerobatic micro did. I realize the sim is a poor indication. It just made me think about how they do at these type of maneuvers. Thanks,
Jay

Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #58
Ron

I'm not into all that aerobatic stuff yet,....BUT....the tail rotor has all the authority it needs and then some in my opinion....it will spin that little guy around in a blur in either direction....I think most of the Blade's " problems " are mostly pilot problems. this model has performed flawlessly for me since the day I purchased it well over 100 flights ago...still all original parts.....yes it needed some gyro and mix tweaking in order for me to fly it successfully, but I didn't buy it with the expectation that I could fly it out of the box...I realised my own limitations, and compensated for them right from the start.
A heli is NOTHING like an airplane to fly....it doesn't happen instantly...it takes practise ( a lot of it ) and an equal amount of patience...so my advice to those who blame the model for all their problems is, suck it up....learn to fly it...don't blame the model for all the unfamiliar things it seems to do...it's a helicopter and it's different from an airplane...adapt and learn. This is a tough little model, and faced with the decision of which to buy again, I would buy this one without hesitation. It doesn't need any " upgrades " for a beginner pilot....it will do more than you are capable of for a long time to come. that being said...yes I'm movin on up to a larger heli....not because the blade won't do aerobatics, but because I want a larger model...I don't NEED one...I want one. there is a line between what is needed and what we want ( think we need) and that should always be kept in mind when we recommend or pan a particular model. I had no instructor, and no where to go for one...this model introduced me to heli flying at a reasonable cost with no expensive crashes....the manual contained every piece of information needed....is it an ok heli for a beginner ?? ...my opinion...YOU BET YOUR BIPPY ! If it isn't flying properly, refer to the manual....if you read it thoroughly, it does have all needed information in it.....Jay ... you as an experienced pilot will appreciate it's quality and ruggedness when you get one...and it will give you hours of enjoyment with little or no problems.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #59
zappedalaskan

Ron,
Thank you kindly for your reply. I have the Blade cx for hovering around the house. A local gym has opened up to E-flyers and I was looking at the Blade cp. I agree with you 100% on the durability of these E-Flight models. I have over a dozen flights on the cx and have even bounced it off the trash can a couple of times. (to me it seems that every flying area/space has that one magnetic object ) This little bird is very tough. One nice thing is that if it starts to strike the blades on something you can chop the throttle real fast and avoid any (so far) damage.
Again Thank you kindly for your reply. I Know I can get a honest and informative answer from you. Have you considered what you want for your next heli?
Take care,
Jay

Old 12-09-2005, 07:45 PM   #60
Ron

Jay: I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but try my best to objectively approach each project....I have decided to try the Corona as my second machine for various reasons...durability being right up there.
I realise that it's a " fixed pitch " machine, but I learned to fly the Blade first FP then changed to using the idle up function once I was able to consistantly establish a reasonably good hover...since I have no intention of jumping into aerobatics yet, I can't see the disadvantage to a FP model.....when I'm ready for it, I intend to end up flying a LOGO either 10 or 20, but I know that it wouldn't be a really brilliant move yet to go there.... possibly this time next year......I went with the Corona because it like the blade is simple....rugged...relatively in expensive...I have a friend who comes out to the fly ins twice a year and he is an accomplished heli pilot....he can do things with the Corona that I at the moment only dream about....his advice was to go this way even before the Blade....having flown the blade both as fp and cp....I don't really see much difference in either mode...flying the throttle is a necessary part of heli flying in my opinion as is being able to use both thumbs equally well.
With this in mind, I started out on my " adventure" and have thoroughly enjoyed it to this point. The Corona has some big shoes to fill, and if it's half as good as my Blade has been, it will be a total success.
I hope your CX is just as good for you...sounds like you are having a great time with it so far..... I'm hoping Santa brings along a Mega motor and speed controller that will work in my new Corona...I'm putting it together slowly...using a HH gyro so that when I get my Logo It can be moved over and used there...this whole heli thing has kind of taken me by surprise because as late as last July, I had absolutely no interest in flying one because of all the perceived difficulties which I have found are mostly not there....so far all problems have been solved with a good helping of common sense, a lot of patient practise, and the desire to succeed.
Thanks to the RADD method, my precision is already pretty good..I also go with the thought that it's not how many things you can do with the model, but how well you do the things that you CAN do that counts..fixed wing flying gets the same treatment..I have been known to go out to the field and shoot touch and goes for many hours to perfect my landing skills, and with a new model I spend many many flights trimming and adjusting control surfaces. I know I'm kinda anal about some of the simple stuff, but I do have a ball flying ,especially a well built straight and properly trimmed model. Remember when you land that thing, the whirly things are supposed to be on the top side:-)

Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #61
GaryB

...i fly both a Blade and a T-Rex and really enjoy them both - as i understand it, there is no "FP" mode on the Blade transmitter (if you're flying it with your own computer transmitter i guess you could program in the same fixed pitch on all points of the pitch curve) - there is "Normal Mode" and "Idleup1 Mode" - with both of these the pitch varies with the throttle stick position -Normal (approx. 0 to +10) and Idleup1 (approx. -10 to +10)...

...the Blade is a very mechanically solid machine good for just flying around (mine has too much slop in the head for aerobatics - i hope the Bell-Hiller upgrade will take care of that problem when it comes out) - for rolls, loops, flips, stall turns, etc. (that's all i can do with a heli) i get out my T-Rex - a bit of a mechanical nightmare but a fun machine (Ron - sounds to me like you're ready for some mild areobatics with something like a T-Rex, Heli-Max MX-400, etc...but i'm sure you'll like your Corona, too - it's all good)...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #62
Ron

I'm one of those stubborn old F***S once I make a decision, I usually stay with it......once I get into a fully aerobatic jobby, I think the Logo is the way to go..I have some friends who fly Logo's and they seem to be the most popular model at our fly in events, so I think I'll play sheep and follow this time. ( for a change)

Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #63
zappedalaskan

Hi Ron,
The Corona is a great choice. True it is fixed pitch, but it is larger and very durable. I had one for a couple of years and sold it to a neighbor kid to fund another project. I kick myself for getting rid of it. The kid has learned to fly with it and he has it all decked out now and it is still flying after almost ten years. It had a mechanical gyro (state of the art then ) and would still hover like a rock. I am like you about trimming a aircraft until it is proper. I figured a Logo would be in your future I see A lot of folks in canada fly them and I am sure the parts support is great in your area. I see a lot of people in your vicinity fly them almost exclusively. There is no parts support here for Mikado, so I have never had the pleasure of looking at or trying one out.
I am no expert by any stretch, I have just been whacking at it for a long time. Every since I was a kid, I had a love for helicopters. When I got old enough and the local hobby shop had a .50 sized shluter(Now Robbe) I wrecked it rebuilt it and wrecked it again.. Fix, Wreck, Repeat.. Then it slowly started working out for me. It took me a whole summer to learn to hover, some forward flight and nose in landings. At that point i bought a newer Robbe .50 and a better (still mechanical) gyro. This machine flew well and I was able to advance from there. That was many moons ago
And many birds as well. One of my favorites though was the Corona. after learning with a harder flying machine, it was a pleasure to fly and less stressful making it a lot of fun to hover around and practice orientation from all directions. Yet small enough to still hover in the garage. I wish you all the best with your Corona, And hope it brings you many hours of fun
Regards,
Jay

Old 12-13-2005, 03:59 AM   #64
flashover
Thats gonna leave a mark

Ok guys and gals, I tried to fly my blade today and although never getting more than light on the skids(and drifting all over the floor) the bird wanted to spin on the floor,and even with the proportional pot moved to the extreme I couldn't get it to trim out.So if I understand it, I have to learn to control this until I learn to hover.Correct?By the way I've read Radd's website and am going to try his method.I guess I'll have to buy a couple more batteries.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #65
Ron

I had to move the proportional to about 75%...then adjusted the sensitivity of the gyro....when you make proportional mix adjustments, you have to then disconnect the battery for 10 seconds or so in order that the 4 in 1 can re initialize with the new settings....otherwise you are just not going to get the new settings right. mine takes a little right cyclic( aileron) to keep it straight/stop it from sliding left at takeoff, but once you are up...it's actually pretty solid in a hover....yes you need to correct now and then with the left thumb,( read constantly) and the right thumb ( read all control inputs simultaneously and in co-ordination) in order to fly successfully, but this is I think, to be expected with a heli

I compare it to balancing a beachball on the end of a stick...tricky to do, but once you master it, you have a neat trick to show off with

my suggestion would be to set the mix so that when you use the rudder, the nose of the heli can be turned opposite the way it naturally wants to go when it's light on the skids... then turn up the gyro sensitivity some....little at a time till it works for you...no matter what you do, you are going to need to use the left thumb .. follow the instructions on trimming and setting up that are in the manual, and it WILL work for you. It takes a little patience as you are learning to fly as well as trim out the model at the same time. If possible, find an experienced heli flier to give you a hand...otherwise it's just basically learn as you go, and at that point you know exactly how much your " teacher knows " ....keep at it ....the light will come on so to speak, then you will be off and running.....my first couple of sessions were a little frustrating, but finally it all started to work....especially when I became able to anticipate what the little guy was going to do next and was able to compensate before it happened....good luck with it.....

Old 12-27-2005, 02:12 AM   #66
subaru

Well my Wife got me a Blade for Christmas I love it. only have one battery through it so far. I can keep it in the one foot square pretty good. I could swear that when I first started to keep it in the square the tail wanted to go to the right but now it wants to go to the left, am I crazy? or did I just think that it use to go to the right? Which way should the tail go Radd says it should go to the right. Thats why I thought it was going to the right at first but now it is going to the left why would it change? Also should I trim the rudder so that it stays stright? or just use me thumb to keep it stright.

Brian

Also Ron what do you mean when you say "set the mix so that when you use the rudder, the nose of the heli can be turned opposite the way it naturally wants to go when it's light on the skids" not sure what you mean there?

Thanks,
Old 12-27-2005, 04:13 AM   #67
t. edwards

You're not going nuts, yet. Rudder "center" is going to change as the battery discharges. You want to set the proportional so you can stay within the range of trim adjustment. A nice way to get close is to set the heli on a slick surface like a tile floor and spool it up without giving any rudder correction. Adjust your proportional until you can get it real light on the skids with minimal rudder input. Remember that you have to disconnect the battery and re-initialize the 4in1 after each adjustment. SMALL adjustments, 1/16 turn is a bunch. This should help get you close with minimal brain damage. I hope you've got the training gear. Happy flying, Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #68
Ron

Tom:....that sounds pretty much the way I did mine, except that when I finally got the heli into the air, I found that I had to adjust the gyro sensitivity in order to maintain the tail...I was constantly " chasing" the tail...then one afternoon I decided to try increasing the sensitivity of the gyro a tiny bit...it helped some, and after about two or three " tiny" adjustments there...it all came together and the heli hovered nicely.
now as the battery runs down, enough that the tail isn't right, I know it's pretty much time to land...I don't have to adjust trim during the flight at all.
Have fun with it Brian, be patient, and when you do get it flying nicely ( which isn't going to happen in a day or two if it's your first heli) it's a blast.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:21 AM   #69
t. edwards

This must be proof positive that great minds think alike. Sensitivity (gain) definitely has to be adjusted "in flight" as does final proportional adjustment. I've since gone to seperates with a XP6102 but I still set it on my kitchen floor (tile) to get the rudder sub-trim close before going outside to fly it. Have a CX now to go with the CP. Happy flying, Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #70
subaru

Ok I will try that when I get some time today. Thanks a lot guys fast response stick around I may have some more questions

Brian
Old 12-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #71
subaru

I was wondering. The carbon fiber blades can you use them with the stock motor and battery. They are not flat on the bottom right. Besides being able to fly upside down what would the advantage be to use them? Any disadvantage? My friend got a blade for Christmas too and wants to get the carbon fiber blades for his. We started to do the Radd plan but on the fourth battery we put the training gear on and started to hover. We can hover for about a min not in one spot but I Would say with in a 6 to 8 foot box. Not sure if that is good or not? We did not just stop at the Radd battery # 4 I guess we kind of just combined battery 1 and 2 into 1 battery and so on so we did all the steps just a little faster I guess. We have been flying planes for 16 years for me and Jason for about 8 years so maybe the experience with planes helped up with the heli?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #72
Ron

Blade update.........was flying it day before yesterday in a church parking lot.....we have lots of Church parking lots here in Chilliwack at least 25 or so that I can think of right off the bat...anyway...it was too windy, but I figured I could handle it...well I could for a while..I had it about 25ft. in the air having lotsa fun thinking to myself this is no sweat..mother nature came up with a big gust of wind that blew it right out of the air and into the pavement...man this I thought was going to be bad as I saw a piece go flying across the pavement when it hit. upon close inspection, I found that it had broken the tail rotor, and damaged the main blades, so when I got home I replaced both items, and decided to wait til the morning to see how bad it wobbled from the likely bent main shaft...I spooled it up out the back yard to have a look, and it was still smooth as silk, so I took it off and flew out a couple of packs..man this thing is REALLY durable.
total cost for replacement parts was just under 20 dollars Cdn...that's about $1.98 US. ....approaching I think end of motor life ( 150 flights),
so I'll likely swap out the motors this weekend....I still think this little guy is really good value, and heartily recommend it to those looking for even a first heli.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #73
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Send a message via AIM to debhicks

Well now I will have to stop bragging on your parts replacement record

Debbie Hicks AMA# 8601 Leader Member - Industrial
AD2H Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator
Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
Will's Hobbies Classified - Free
Asheville-Buncombe-Aeromodelers
Etowah Lions Club - Newsletter Editor, President 2006/2007
WCARS
Henderson County RACES member

Loving the Mountains of North Carolina
Old 01-06-2006, 06:01 AM   #74
Ron

All good things have to come to an end sooner or later :-( but it has been fun..had I not been so sure of myself, I wouldn't have had this mishap...However, all is not lost...I resurected the main rotor blades this evening, re installed them, and they're smooth as silk so technically, I've only had to replace the tail rotor as I'm still flying the original mains that came with the model...happy happy :-) so I guess the total bill for spare or replacement parts is actually one tail rotor..my mains are now Black since that's the only colour monokote I had except Girly Pink, and it certainly wouldn't be " manly " to use pink blades now would it???

Old 01-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #75
sobamaflyer
Blade Defender

View sobamaflyer's Gallery11
Send a message via AIM to sobamaflyer Send a message via MSN to sobamaflyer Send a message via Yahoo to sobamaflyer

Your reports have been great to follow (I have been for months) and encouraging. I have read in some heli thread that learning this aspect of our hobby comes in "clicks", well I can certainly attest to that. I had a "click" the other day and now 2 packs later my control on my new Blade CP is night and day. It's an amazingly thrilling thing to have this little thing buzzing around the back yard staying put or going where you want it to

To those still trying to get off the ground, or replacing parts left and right I plead with you 2 things: SIM TIME!!! and patience. I started this adventure w/ a FP Honeybee that I destroyed, rebuilt & destroyed again with never what I would call an enjoyable actual "flight". After that I've used only the free FMS simulator & the 4 channel controller from the aforementioned Honeybee for a couple of months For a complete beginner the time spent on that program has made all the difference. I don't care one bit that it's not 100% accurate in it's feel for each plane or heli, IMHO a totally new r/c pilot of both planes and helis has a steep learning curve of just needing to "feel" how these birds will react to stick movement AND (reverse) orientation.

Thanks for listening had to share my excitement of flying my heli instead of baby hopping

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it!"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters