Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #101
Ron

Friends: (2)

Andy:
Look at Post 33.......there is a link there to the RADD method.
Follow the " method" to the letter, and if you are honest with yourself about your abilities at each step, and can do EXACTLY what you are supposed to before taking the next step, you will be flying in no time with very little cash layout for " spare " parts. Enjoy your heli....it's a great product, and I tried another this week that was bought by a friend. He said it wasn't set up properly because he couldn't fly it....but he hadn't changed anything so that I could fix it for him without trying to re adjust all the things he moved....long story short.......it was him. The heli flew fine except for a small adjustment to the gyro sensitivity......I haven't seen one of these little guys that doesn't work yet....( except for the ones that people modified before they could actually fly)

Was flying electrics waaaay before it was cool
Old 08-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #102
Flying Foot Doc

Friends: (0)

Thanks for the information. I've already started and am committed to following what is clearly a successful system. The key to survival in all flight systems, full scale & RC is being honest with yourself and following the rules. Andy
Old 08-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #103
GOLD5446

Where can I get a copy of the Radd method?
Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #104
GOLD5446

thx. just found link and Radd method.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #105
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

View leapfrog's Gallery63

Man... Ron... you are great. Nice writing.

I actually jumped into the "Blade" mix with a CP pro... with only sim experience, prior. Followed Radd most of the way through... except I never got to the training gear, I fell in love on first hover. Less than a week later ordered the G90 HH gyro... then I *really* fell in love... a week later I ordered another Pro, gyro, and more bats... I now trade off between the helis (to keep the motors cool) and swap bats as fast as I can keep them charged.

Is this normal? Why is it so addicting?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #106
Ron

Leapfrog...you be careful....there is no purple ointment for this addiction.

I am currently negotiating with our city council to see if they will provide safe heli sites for those of us who are really far gone.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #107
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

Hey Ron, great thing on the heli sites... good luck on that.

(I'm flying mostly in a gym - I live next door to the principal of the Junior Highschool, and got him interested... hehe... and at work, there's a nice open area right behind our offices in the data center... late at night, there's a funny buzzing/whirring sound that emanates from there).

I fly daily.

But, I'm not addicted... I can quit *any* time I want to. I just don't want to. *big grin*
Old 09-03-2006, 12:39 AM   #108
Gino

I am now part of the CP bug. Spent a month on a sim. At first I felt the sim did little to train me. The CP was simply impossible to fly. But a 8 cycles later, I can lift to a sub foot height and hover for a few seconds. I am now more able to predict the take off tail quirk. And for the most part pilot away from walls and obstacles.

The plastic replacement blades is pretty convenient. Tipover smacks do little damage. For the most part, I only break the tail vertical bar. With the plastic blades, the heli feels a bit heavy on lift off. But being in training phase, a few inches off the ground is all I really can manage at the moment.

I made corrugated plastic tail fins to prop up the tail. This is more durable than my Qtip fix alone. Pics here:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...an/RC/fin3.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...an/RC/fin2.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...lan/RC/fin.jpg
Old 09-03-2006, 02:29 AM   #109
boardmaster84

hi im new to this. i have the blade cx and im having a problem with it and i need help. the top blades of the heli continue to spin at a constent rate and i cant change the speed. Can u help? or do u have and sujestions?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:42 AM   #110
Gino

Is this just a perception? Or do you experience performance degradation? From what I understand about twin rotors, only one blade varies in speed to accomodate tail control. Usually the bottom one.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #111
boardmaster84

I understand that both blades spin at the same rate & increase & decrease with throttle speed. My heli's top blade spins constant at a slow speed & dosen't speed up with throttle. This started when I had a crash? What do you think is wrong?
Eric
Old 09-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #112
David Murphy
David Murphy

To RonJ: You can find Radd training by typing "Radd's School of Rotary Flight" and push enter.
Dave
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #113
jcblough

Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Is this just a perception? Or do you experience performance degradation? From what I understand about twin rotors, only one blade varies in speed to accomodate tail control. Usually the bottom one.
You are correct about the bottom blade being the only one connected to the wash, the top is linked to the flybar.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #114
Gino

I am so thrilled with my finely tuned CP. After tuning Sept 5, now Sept 8, I am holding a hover comfortably at 6 inches. Daringly at a foot. Doing nicely on skimming , nose in too. I have new respect for mt flight sim. That was all i was using a month ago before my cp arrived.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #115
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

AHHHHHHHH!

I did it again... I currently have four helis (two Blade Pros, one stock... and one blinged... one T-Rex 450SE, and one HDX450SE) and a sim, and I fly them every day. I'm getting used to the difference between the two different setups. I can now toss the Blades around without thinking... but the two SE's see more stable flights - yet I tend to throw more bats at them lately - and especially the HDX - they are awesome flying machines.

Here's the interesting part, I bought two more Rexs... both SA's so they won't be delivered for a bit... (I have the 'lectrics and stuff in a box that arrived yesterday, just waiting for them).

My plan is to punish the SA's (like I did the Pros)... I bought one pro, and then the other to trade them out to keep the motors cooler. I've only crashed the first pro... all other heli's have been spared that trauma so far - close calls, but no damage. So one of the SA's is going to see some hurt... that is planned (if it follows from the previous learning curve) - but I now have some spare parts on the shelf, too - to make the AOG time less hurtful... like three blade sets, three main shafts, main gear sets, and a tail boom... we'll see. I may not need them... but, oh well.

What I find interesting, is that I am actually not "thinking" about flying so much as just "flying"... don't know if that makes sense... but, oh well.

I'm not addicted... I can quit any time I want to... I just don't want to.

Ron, I don't need the purple ointment... I need counseling...

*big grin*

Never lose airspeed, altitude, and ideas at the same time...
Old 09-27-2006, 06:18 AM   #116
Gino

Good for you. I had improved since the beginning of Sept. I now fly in the yard doing slow flying but no nose-ins. I can manage heights now and a few seconds of side ins. I also manage on occasions going left or right (nose in those directions going forward) with speed but have difficuty recovering when nose goes too far to the left and does a nose in.

It seems it is easier to rotate left than it is right. Is this the Cp's nature or is something wrong with my trimming?

I also get a jumpy start at the beginning of a flight. This soon disappears and things are ok. But it is annoying and disconcerting when I am caught by surprise. Later on it developed into a nasty yo-yo.

Then I noticed that the blades weren't at my usual 1-2 degree angle. This compensates for the rotor head's overall slop. So adjusting pitch totally cured the yo-yo and heli now rises with ease.

Taking things slow. Being too adventurous gets me into trouble.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #117
jimw1956

Default Blade CX vibrating

I had a minor crash yesterday with my CX. Broke the stabilizer bar mount on the top and a blade. After replacing these there was still a pretty severe vibration while spinning up. I tried replacing the lower blades with a matched set to no avail. We then noticed that the swash plate had seperated into two halves, upper and lower. The guy at the LHS pressed these back together with some small hemostats but the vibration is still there. Should I replace the swash plate or is there some special alignment that the two pieces have to be put together in? I've got to go back by the Hobby shop later and pick it up with any parts I need so a quick reply with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #118
Caver451

Originally Posted by jimw1956 View Post
...We then noticed that the swash plate had seperated into two halves, upper and lower. The guy at the LHS pressed these back together with some small hemostats but the vibration is still there. Should I replace the swash plate or is there some special alignment that the two pieces have to be put together in?
Replace the swash plate. Once it comes apart, it's doomed. Besides it being very difficult to get them back together again without being a little askew, it'll just start coming apart mid-flight on you.

Ever see a swash plate self-destruct in mid-air? It isn't pretty.

But you have other things you may want to check as well. For example, is your inner or outer shaft bent? Did you break the fragile pins on the lower rotor head? When your swash plate broke, it probably put a lot of stress on those pins, and may have even broken them so the lower blades may only be attached to the outer shaft by their ball joints.

You're practically going to have to take the entire thing apart to replace the swash plate anyway, so I would suggest taking it apart now, before going to the shop, and seeing what might be broken besides the swash.

-Caver
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #119
Pyrock

It's been a long time since visiting this thread. I have since ditched my Blade CP due to frustration. I could never get it to fly partly due to my skill. I moved on to a Trex SE that is further improved with the addition of a JGF 450TH, Microheli main gear, and hyperion blades (mains and tail). I can fly figure 8's, loops, rolls, and go inverted briefly. Now, I am thinking of a Blade CX for indoors during the winter. Does anyone use the Blade CX for winter training? Will a Blade CX and a sim (currently G2) help in maintaining my skills during winter?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #120
Gino

The CX will orient your with controls and improve the way you judge spatial relationship with your environment. It is, however, different in terms of control response and flight behavior. A sim will be better suited for that. But having them both will keep your flying skills from getting rusty. Still, nothing like the real thing.

When using a sim, try to do excercises that are your "next steps" in the T-Rex. Flying around doing aerials in the sim is no good if you still can't hover well, hover side in, or if you ar at this level, nose in. Practice these baby steps first. That will be relevant.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 AM   #121
jimw1956

[quote=Caver451;108842]Replace the swash plate. Once it comes apart, it's doomed. Besides it being very difficult to get them back together again without being a little askew, it'll just start coming apart mid-flight on you.

Thanks...replaced th swash plate, and the inner shaft assembly with one with a metal assembly on top for the stabilizer. Reduced the vibration greatly. About that time my local heli guru came into the shop and did a little trimming and it's flying great now....or at least as great as it will fly with me piloting it.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:07 AM   #122
Gino

Hi Ron. How far have come now with your flying? Aerobatics I suppose.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #123
Ron

Gino.....I have been flying some with the heli this summer, but mostly have been flying F3A. between practising that and my job, the heli pretty much has taken a back seat. But when the weather gets nasty, I will be back at it.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #124
Gino

Can you give a quick overview of what F3A is all about?What does it stand for. Or pointing me to a url will be much appreciated.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #125
Ron

Gino
F3A used to be called Pattern flying...it's now Precision aerobatics.
You must do a set routine of aerobatic manoeuvres in a set sequence.
Each manoeuvre must be done in a specific manner, and in a specific place in the sky. ( in the box ) You are judged on the correctness of the manoeuvre, the place it is done, overall symmetry, speed should remain constant no matter whether you are going up down or level flight.
It's kinda like aerial Ballet.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters > E-Flite Helicopters