I've got the 54" span Taylorcraft cut and shipping and will start work on the Aeronca next week. Anyone have some pictures of theirs to share here or to show some good ways to strengthen the structure for landing gear, battery packs and servos?
No pics yet. I just finished cutting them per the old printwood and sent them out to several customers who were dying to build or beta the parts. I can get some shots of the next batch that comes in to show the kit and parts contents but stay tuned to one of the forums for a thread on these any day now.
Sorry BC, if you had done a search at Google for "Home of the Schweizers" you would have found us. Some forums don't take too kindly to manufacturers using their web page URL as a signature, but since we have top first page search engine ranking, any search for a Schweizer sailplane model or kit or our slogan at a major search engine like google will find us.
Our T-craft owes its heritage to the Comet line of kits and along with our new Aeronca Chief and Aeronca K, also at 54" they weigh in with radio gear and servos at just over 12 oz. all up. Some may build them heavier but not much lighter and at 12-16 oz. the wing loading is good for both indoor and outdoor and fly outdoor just fine at up to 24 oz.
Right now I am in process of adding an original Cub and a Pawnee at this same scale and following the same construction techniques. The J3 uses the same ribs as the Taylorcraft, but more of them and it will be cut for me to begin building in just a few weeks.
The Pawnee will be featured in Flying Models magazine hopefully by May and it too is nearing completion of the plans. Both will eventually be kitted with vacuum-formed parts and bent wire gear etc. in partial kit format with plans for around $69.00. Both are perfect scale down to the wing and tail profiles and number and placement of ribs plus the Pawnee will have operational flaps standard and optional dusting hopper kit and drawings to build and add a tow release for aerotowing up to two meter sized sailplanes of 36 oz. or less.
Here is a PDF of the 1 meter Pawnee Brave. Take a look and tell me what you think. Its about ready to cut and prototype but the 54" PA-25 still needs a little more work. You guys can make a print of this for your own personal use and to review it for me if you like.
Thanks for the compliments on the quality Mike. I think Walt does a good job of determining the correct power to get a really fine kerf with little burn but he's great at selecting the right balsa for the sheets! We consistently get good feedback on the parts he is making for me.
Steve, the price for the 1 meter and 1.4 meter Brave and Pawnee should be in the $70 range for complete kits with cowls and canopy plus wheels and wire for landing gear. Have you taken a look at the plan I posted? Is that the one you are referring to or the earlier strut-reinforced wing version the PA-25?
PS: WattFlyer is pretty friendly about merchants posting URLs in thread and their signature as long as you're not spammy about it. It's useful for us in the hobby to be able to locate vendors we've not seen before.
My old Comet Aeronca Chief had separate panel wings held to fuselage with hooks and rubber bands, functional wing struts used clevises to adjust dihedral and washout. It was powered by an Esskay ( Now Atlas) 400XT outrunner from Hobby Lobby, TP 1320 3S lipo and GWS 9x5 direct drive prop. This would probably be an ideal power setup for your laser cut versions. The nose on my Chief was made of soft balsa sheet instead of stick and former. The nose bowl was removable and there was a hatch on top for access to the motor. The landing gear was sewed with wire to 1/8" ply formers and served as a place to velcro the battery packs to. Access was through functional side doors with nylon pinned hinges and latches made of wire, tubing and ballpoint pen springs. Wheel pant/landing gear leg assemblies were held to gear wire with velcro, looked crude but worked and knocked off in hard landings. The model weighed 28 ounces but liked to thermals with prop ticking over.
After many hundreds of flights, one of the clevises on the wing strut let go and the plane spiraled in on it's final flight. If you use clevises, slide a piece of silicon fuel line tubing over them to lock them closed.
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for posting about how you solved the E-conversion of your kit. These are our most popular kits and so we've undertaken to update them specifically for E power. I am redrawing the plans right now and will add the long stock and hardware to those shipping beginning in a few weeks.