Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-06-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Gauge
Microburst

Friends: (0)
Default GWS Slow Stick

Just wanted everyone to know the good news I had from GWS today.

I purchased a Slow Stick with my wife and baby girl on Saturday. We drove 40 miles to Burlinton, Ontario to check out Skycraft Hobbies. A great RC store. Everything I wanted was there and the shop owner actually knew what I was talking about when I asked for it. We finished our shopping then returned home . I started to assemble the kit, then realized that the front wing stiffeners were missing. After doing a kit inventory (I know, I should have started with this step) I realized I was missing 2 front wing fiberglass stiffeners, 2 tail gassets (their spelling), and double sided tape.

A quick email to their customer service on Saturday night explaining my troubles. The next night I had a request for pictures and proof of purchase. I sent this via email. I did not receive any confirmation of reciept. I was going to give it a week and contact them again. I was surprised tonight when I stepped in from work to find a strange cylinder sitting on the kitchen table. Curious I checked out the mailing label and found it was from GWS. All my parts were shipped via air mail. Good on ya GWS. Cheap plane but I did not want to correct their errors by purchasing my own replacement parts. Nice for them to correct a problem. I will buy GWS again. I find this hobby has a lot of stand up people backing their products. I'm sure I'll be told otherwise, but my experience has been different.

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
nova801428

That is the best trainer plane in my opinion. That was also my first palne to. I wish I could show you a video of my totaling my slowstick. The hinge tape came off, BEWARE that the hinge tape eventually will fall off and cause you trouble. packaging tape works well.
Nova
Old 10-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #3
Rugar

View Rugar's Gallery5
Friends: (12)

Glad to hear you had good cutomer service from GWS.

As nova said, beware of the hinge tape that comes with the kit. It will come loose eventually. I dont use any of the hardware items that come with the SS kit except for the linkage rods (wire), the control service horns (they need to be epoxied on or they may come loose), the plastic wing mounts, and the servo mounts. I epoxy the tail feathers on and replace the fiberglass wing stiffeners with carbon fiber rods (also epoxied to the wing and center tube). Have fun with your new plane .

Gerald
Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
I_Love_My_ABC

I agree 100% the Slow Stick is a great plane to have in your hangar. It was my first build kit and it teaches you the very basics of good building practices too. It only took me two days to have it in the air. Not bad for a first build. I recently did the aileron mod and now I'm running the Slow Stick as a 4 channel aileron trainer which is working beautifully!! Here's the link with a few pictures too...

http://www.rchobbyhub.com/index.php?...ewtopic&t=2861
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Tape hinges will stick much better if you stick it down with an iron. Activates the glue a bit.If you have a monocoat iron, set at 200F or a household iron at LOW.

Gord.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Well I don't use the tape on GWS foam models. I have not found any that will stay "stuck" here in the TX summers.

I use regular CA hinges, cut them narrow to 1/4" strips and use regular white glue to hold them. Works great!

Mike
Old 10-06-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

We up here in igloo country we don't think of those things but I use your method also and as you say, works great.

Gord.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Gauge
Microburst

Default Great tips

This is not my first plane. However all the tips are great. I did use the tape and it has fallen off (before first flight ). After reading other posts on how much fun and how relaxing a Slow Stick can be, I decided to pick one up.

As for another question, all my other planes have been ARF's. I am curious as to the best practice to hook up the pushrods to the servos control horns. Any good ideas? What hardware should I look for?

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #9
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I am curious as to the best practice to hook up the pushrods to the servos control horns. Any good ideas? What hardware should I look for?
I use a "Z" bend on the horn end and Dubro Micro ez connectors on the servo end. They are the best thing, super easy to make adjustments and I have never had one come loose in flight!

I love them...

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dubq0645.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2288  
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
Twmaster

View Twmaster's Gallery17
Friends: (13)

I'll echo what Mike just said about the Dubro micro EZ connectors. I use them on all my planes these days. They are simple, light and do the job well.

One thing I do before putting tape on any surface is to wipe it down with alcohol first. Removes any mold chemicals and other things that might keep the tape from sticking.

Mike N

Support the entire Constitution.
Not just the parts you like.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
meegosh
Pilot in training

Send a message via AIM to meegosh

Anyone have a recommendation for a good prop replacement for a stock setup? I am looking at purchasing the gwsexpert slow stick 400 combo and want a back up. Also I need some help with batteries. I am going to be getting a MK11 charger so I would have to get batts that can be charged with that and work in my stock SS setup.

-Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 04:20 AM   #12
dregsfan

Originally Posted by Gauge
This is not my first plane. However all the tips are great.
Here are some SS tip sites and posts I have found useful. I am just finishing up a SS 400. Hope to have it in the air next week, if the wind cooperates.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242539

http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/allinone.shtml

http://www.verrill.com/rc/ss/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273180

http://www.rcwing.co.uk/Slow%20Stick%20Build.html

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
jimjxsn

Talking Gotta love those slowsticks

I think the prop I used on the stock motor was an APC SF11x8. I switched over to dubro micro push rods and taped them to the fuse. Switched the hinge tape out - bought a roll from NE sailplane. I Replaced the vertical stab with a slightly larger depron one. After the stock motor wore out I replaced it with an Esskay 400XT outrunner. Love the slowstick for relaxing flight at the local park.
Jim

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slowstick1.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2452   Click image for larger version

Name:	slowstick2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2453  
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimjxsn View Post
I think the prop I used on the stock motor was an APC SF11x8. I switched over to dubro micro push rods and taped them to the fuse. Switched the hinge tape out - bought a roll from NE sailplane. I Replaced the vertical stab with a slightly larger depron one. After the stock motor wore out I replaced it with an Esskay 400XT outrunner. Love the slowstick for relaxing flight at the local park.
Jim
Hi Jim,

Where did you get that motor mount for the 400XT? I have two 400XTs and would like to fit one on my S/S.

Thanks

Old 11-05-2005, 05:15 AM   #15
hasbeen

Default slow stick hinges

actually i think you could use medical bandage tape for any hinge(s).
it's paper tape but with small hole for air to get to the wound.
i agree with the person who suggested cleaning the surface with alcohol first. not that i have a lot of flying time on mine but i did clean the surfaces before applying the "tape" and it has been assembled over a year and the hinges are stuck down tight.

hasbeen
Old 11-09-2005, 07:51 AM   #16
tallflyer
Robert V

View tallflyer's Gallery22
Friends: (4)

I'm Working on my new Slowstick site www.flyelectricplanes.com If anyone wants to send me pictures of there slow sticks I will update my photo page to include your pictures.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #17
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

I love my slow stick. It's my windy flyer, thats why I added a brushless and converted it to ailerons.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-462F.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	3683   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-463F.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	3684   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-464F.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	3685   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-475F.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	3686   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-476F.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	3687  

Old 11-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
tallflyer
Robert V

flyranger

I added some of your pictures to my site http://www.flyelectricplanes.com/photos.html
Old 11-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #19
Steve
Vermont Electric

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Default Slow Stick Build information

The Slow Stick is a great plane to learn and grow your knowledge about RC flight. I'm working on SS-IV as we speak...

This is one of the best sources of information I've found

http://www.verrill.com/rc/ss/

Enjoy!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #20
tallflyer
Robert V

Also a good building tip is that you dont even need a drill to make the holes a brand new sharp xacto knife blade number 11 works well also, just mark the fusealage with a pen and then line up the tip of the xacto blade with the mark slowly turn the xacto blade applying a little amount of down force as you turn the medal is soft enough you can make great starter holes that your screws will go right into!

Tip From Robert Viskil
san Diego Ca

www.flyelectricplanes.com
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #21
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Hi Jim,

Where did you get that motor mount for the 400XT? I have two 400XTs and would like to fit one on my S/S.

Thanks
The Cobri outrunner ["rotating case"] stick mount (www.e-flightline.com) would be fine - otherwise go to www.topcreations.com - they have various stick mounts - one of 'em must suit.

Cheers, Phil
Old 11-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #22
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
The Cobri outrunner ["rotating case"] stick mount (www.e-flightline.com) would be fine - otherwise go to www.topcreations.com - they have various stick mounts - one of 'em must suit.

Cheers, Phil
Thanks Phil,

I found the one by E-Flite ($4.99) I am using fits that motor as well. The prop offset is exactly the same as the GWS gearbox/motor combo.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ss-esskay-003.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	3689  

Old 11-10-2005, 12:07 AM   #23
CustomCougar

Originally Posted by Gauge View Post
Just wanted everyone to know the good news I had from GWS today.

I purchased a Slow Stick with my wife and baby girl on Saturday. We drove 40 miles to Burlinton, Ontario to check out Skycraft Hobbies. A great RC store. Everything I wanted was there and the shop owner actually knew what I was talking about when I asked for it. We finished our shopping then returned home . I started to assemble the kit, then realized that the front wing stiffeners were missing. After doing a kit inventory (I know, I should have started with this step) I realized I was missing 2 front wing fiberglass stiffeners, 2 tail gassets (their spelling), and double sided tape.

A quick email to their customer service on Saturday night explaining my troubles. The next night I had a request for pictures and proof of purchase. I sent this via email. I did not receive any confirmation of reciept. I was going to give it a week and contact them again. I was surprised tonight when I stepped in from work to find a strange cylinder sitting on the kitchen table. Curious I checked out the mailing label and found it was from GWS. All my parts were shipped via air mail. Good on ya GWS. Cheap plane but I did not want to correct their errors by purchasing my own replacement parts. Nice for them to correct a problem. I will buy GWS again. I find this hobby has a lot of stand up people backing their products. I'm sure I'll be told otherwise, but my experience has been different.
This also happened to me. I was missing pushrod tubes for my E-Starter. I phoned GWS and they had me email copies of my reciept. No confirmation, but a few days later they arrived in the mail. What more can you ask for (besides all the parts being there in the first place).
Old 11-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
flyranger

I added some of your pictures to my site http://www.flyelectricplanes.com/photos.html
Thanks, tall flyer. I'm flattered! Next step for the "stick" is to mount a cheap brushless outrunner I bought on ebay from china. Seemed to be somewhere between a 370 and a 400 in performance. Want to get away from the gearing. I break way too many gearboxes!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #25
kuzikood
gravity expert

Send a message via Yahoo to kuzikood

ive had a couple hundred flights outta my SS and havent had the wing snap yet been thrue 4 gearboxes and 2 speedcontrols....not for over loading just from sooooooo many flights...so what to do ...well i found an old brand new modified 540 motor and gearbox from an old "hi performance"electric ...hmmmmmmmmm this will be fun espeacially with lighter batteries' lighter radio gear ..and a very very light airframe..ima gonna go try this right now i held the motor on with a hose clamp lolol now thats low buck!

-kuzi-

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers