Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
markind

Friends: (0)
Exclamation Multiplex Pico Stuntman - Start to Finish

Hi all I've nailed down my next project and decided to document it all here, start to fin!

What we have here is the Multiplex Pico Stuntman. Now, don't all crowd around at once! This is a rather obscure plane and I think is out of production now. I'm not sure if it was ever available in the US but if someone chimes in with some history I would appreciate it!

I got it on eBay with a BM2410-12 brushless motor which should be sufficient. I am thinking I can get away with a cheap 10A ESC, but I'll deal with the power train later. No clue what prop will be good...

Also of interest, I have an AR6000 receiver slated for this model. It will be interesting to program my DX6 to get this bird to fly well.

Out of the Box

My first impression, after having built and flown the Multiplex Minimag, was "Uh Oh!! This is not Elapor! This is some kind of frail thin foam!"

This is only my second attempt at building a plane kit. The Minimag stretched my newbie abilities to the max (I had to re-build it after I found it was too heavy and unbalanced), and I plan on using my new skills here, but am not entirely confident at this point.

Undaunted, we continue! Glory or shot down in flames!!

The instructions seem sufficient. The Minimag docs (and way cool assembly video CD) are way superior, but this is an older kit...

I can already see some stuff in the box I won't use. The stock wheels for one. Not sure if I like their ailerons - I may go to balsa.

So, be patient and travel with me on this journey of assembly and discovery! This is going to take a while!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Im004308.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	26114
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
markind

Default Canopy Part 1

The canopy was very fragile and the stock glue job cracked apart in my hand.

I tacked it with foam safe CA, but when the kicker hit it, the heat released by the chemical reaction melted the thin foam a bit.

No problem. The tacks held and I then put down epoxy with micro-balloons down the seam and laid down fiberglass.

When this dries, I'll add more. It only be a little heavier, and much more rigid. It will need a couple CF spars across the inside of it for handling strength.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004315.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	26124

Name:	Im004316.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	26125
Old 03-14-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
markind

Default Tail Part 1

Here I am following the instructions, plodding along... :p

The elevator was pretty easy, just apply hinge tape (Du Bro) and fold toward the tape, then sand the other edges so the control surface can move freely at least 30 degrees in both directions.

The rudder was not die - cut so it was a bit trickier, but we got it!

Boom! At this point we have enough to dry fit the fuse and see what this baby will be like! Oh, man, she is light as a feather! I am concerned about durability, though...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004317.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	26132

Name:	Im004318.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	26133

Name:	Im004319.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	26134

Name:	Im004323.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	26135
Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #4
markind

Today I picked up control horns and hardware, 3 x HS-55 servos, and my dealer offered me a choice and I went with Thunderbird 18A ESC from Castle Creations.

I glued the tail together with 30 min epoxy with 1/3 microballoons. I'm thinking to put a couple strips of fiberglass down along the sides of the vert stab. Looks a bit frail... Maybe because I'm not used to foamies!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
markind

Default Servos - Part 1

Tonight we slapped in the HS-55's and reinforced the surrounding seams with epoxy with 1/3 microballoons and a double layer of fiberglass. Almost did not mix up enough glue for this job - be generous its cheap enough!

We also attached the ailerons with hinge tape (needed some sanding to get free movement both ways) and checked the squareness of the tail and rudder.

So far so good! I am doing ok at keeping everything neat and even. :p

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004324.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	26203

Name:	Im004325.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	26204

Name:	Im004326.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	26205

Name:	Im004327.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	26206

Name:	Im004328.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	26207
Old 03-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
markind

Default Engine Mount

The included motor was defective. Really old, maybe just tired magnets. I read .7 ohm across each pair and it looked ok, but just turned really slow.

So, off to the LSH to spend more HEC (hard earned cash!!)

A new GWS motor for $22 was a good match, and while I was there, a GWS 8060 (8x6) prop.

I had no idea how to mount the engine until just now. Simple, strong, and light - I just glued in a stick of balsa that fit the motor mount. Similar to the mounting system on a Slo Stick.

Looking at the picture on the box, the prop is centered with the wing, so I'll glue another stick below this one. That will get the Thrust Line in line with the wing line (chord?).

I also tested out the receiver and centered the servos, and attached the arms. We have stick travel!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004329.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	26249

Name:	Im004331.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	26250
Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
markind

Default Tail Part 2

Today I was only able to attach control horns on the elevators and ailerons, and run the tubing through for the elevators.

Note that there are TWO elevators, AND two ailerons. They are paired on push-pulls such that when the right servo pulls down the right aileron it also pushes up the right elevator.

Totally rad dude! I will use a V-Tail mix on the DX6 to drive this system. It will be VERY interesting to fly.

Note the dab of fiberglass to cover the hole and secure the tubing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004333.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	26319
Old 03-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
markind

Default Tail Part 3

Tonight I got the tail's control rods routed and secured.

Note the epoxy and fiberglass used to secure the tubing to the fuselage. Later, this can be coated with a sanding sealer and sanded down nice and smooth. For now, I am just wanting to get her ready to fly!

Thanks to those handy Du-Bro connectors and horns - they make what could have been difficult job a lot easier. I got all the tail control surfaces working, but the tail is a bit stiff and the tail wheel is not up to snuff. I'll come back to these later.

I checked my servo geometry, and it looks good so I put locktite in the screws.

The tail is basically done but I may have to re-work the tail wheel. These foamies don't give you much material to work with and I had to reinforce with some sheet lexan and fiberglass, and bit of CF strip was needed to get this far.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004337.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	26396

Name:	Im004338.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	26397

Name:	Im004340.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	26398

Name:	Im004341.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	26399

Name:	Im004344.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	26400
Old 03-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Thanks for posting the build thread Mark! Looking good so far!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
markind

Default Canopy Part 2 - Cockpit Finished

Thanks!!! Glad to have a free place to blog about my hobby stuff!!

Got the canopy fixed to the wing today.

First, I coated the area around the top of the wing with epoxy heavy with microballoons. Then I laid down a sheet of fiberglass to reinforce the area under the canopy. I let that dry. Then I expoxied the canopy down, and let that dry. Then I reinforced the seam all around the canopy with epoxy heavy with microballoons and a stip of fiberglass. She is solid and firm! I put in balsa crossbars in the canopy so it can be grabbed as a sturdy handle for the whole plane.

And, finally I found a place to put the AR6000 receiver. I had to Dremel out a little space for it and sunk it down into the main balsa deck. The receiver has a nice 'lip' around the edge and it stays there nicely. A bit of hot glue tacks it down solidly.

Also, I figured out the motor mount. Very simple, strong, and light. I am pretty sure the Thrust Line is going straight through the plane. The angle looks good.

A bit CF rod is hot glued on either end to hold down the wires away from the servo arms.

I like the way it came out! Nice and neat. The control arms are clear of the servo wires and receiver. The wood spacers help keep the LiPo pack centered and secured, and are notched to accept rubberbands.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004345.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	26456

Name:	Im004349.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	26457

Name:	Im004351.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	26458

Name:	Im004354.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	26459

Name:	Im004355.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	26460

Name:	Im004356.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	26461
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Hey there Markind,lookin good so far.Very interesting project and will be interesting how those elevator ailerons work. When is the maiden?

Crashalott
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
markind

Hey Crash! Good to hear from ya! No date for the maiden yet. Yep this old plane was in production prior to the internet, I think. There is very little information about it out there.

And I've never seen a push-pull elevator/aileron setup like this. Seems unique to me. Can anyone else show me a similar setup?

I played with the radio setup again. The V-Tail mix does not do the correct job for this control surface setup.

What did work is pretty odd. I set the radio for default on Wing Type. This means no Flaperons, no V-tail, no Elevons, no nothing.

Then I just setup two custom mixes. I mixed Channel 3 (right servo) about 100% into Channel 2 (left servo) and then I mixed Channel 2 about -100% into Channel 3. VERY WEIRD, but it works!! I say "about 100%" because this needs tweaking to make sure both the left and right sides have even travel.

The manual calls for about +/- 1" travel on all control surfaces. I set up my Dual Rates in Newbie Mode for about half that, with 30% EXP for smoother crusing.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hey there Markind, that sounds like a complicated control sys to me. Hope it works for ya.
Let us know how she fly's.

Crashalott
Old 03-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #14
markind

Default Wing, Part 1

Yes, its within my skill to build this plane, but beyond my skill to fly her anywhere close to her full envelope. Maybe after a couple years of practice... This plane will be capable of crazy advanced aerobatics that are way beyond me. For now, the plan is to get her in the air and stable.

By unanimous decision, we decided to glass the whole wing.

That's why you go heavy with microballoons in the epoxy mix - this stuff sands down nicely with 120 grit sandpaper. Use a dust mask. Have a shop vac handy.

The whole wing can be glassed in sections. When the fiberglass sheet is placed over a smooth surface that is smoothly coated with EPMB (Epoxy Plus Micro Balloons henceforth), it won't come down perfectly. You have to coax it into perfect form with a gloved hand.

After you've done your best to get the sheet down nice and even, a wet finger can press down the parts that are too thick, even out the edges, etc.

Ideally, the glass should be tight as a drum when the epoxy cures.

Don't worry if its messy, or bulky or uneven in parts. It will all sand down nicely to any smooth surface you want.

After the wing is fully glassed, I will tediously sand and sand until the whole wing is nice and smooth and form-fitting.

Then I will coat it with Sanding Sealer (Minwax) and sand down one more time - perhaps even to 400 grit. Then she'll be ready for paint.

I am adding some weight but remember this plane kit was designed before there were LiPo packs. I tested the motor with the GWS 8060 prop and it pulls hard! This plane, even with the extra weight, should be capable of vertical climbing. We'll see!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004357.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	26688

Name:	Im004358.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	26689
Old 03-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sounds like a nice time consuming project for ya Markind.Im gonna be waiting to hear how much she weighs and how she flys.

Crashalott
Old 03-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #16
markind

Default Wing, Part 2

Yep! This is one of those PLEASE do not Crash!! models! ha!

I got the last piece of fiberglass on the wing, and here are some closeups to document how the mesh should look before the epoxy cures.

After it dries solid, trim the excess off with scissors, and start sanding with the 120 grit sandpaper. Wear that dustmask!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004361.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	26752

Name:	Im004362.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	26753

Name:	Im004363.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	26754

Name:	Im004364.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	26755

Name:	Im004365.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	26756
Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 AM   #17
markind

Default Wing, Part 3

The wing is sanded down and is nice and smooth all over. This stuff sands down really well, and makes a lot of dust! Have a shop vac handy!

It sands down so smooth, you can't tell where the seams between the separate sheets of fiberglass are. Nice! All the bits that appeared too bulky are sanded down as smooth as I like them. I left it thicker around the wing roots and around the canopy. Best bang for the buck - stress points are stronger, weight is minimized. The whole wing feels light and strong.

Time for another dry fitting!

Note the small intake cowling added to the nose. This will get a hole underneath and will provide cooling, mainly for the the ESC. An outlet cowling will be added at the tail end later. I expect good air flow through the whole fuselage.

Those small cowlings are really simple. Take an appropriately shaped bit of some kind of blister-pack packaging. Its polycarbonate plastic - "Lexan" - very tough and light.

Cut out the bit you need (I took mine from a package that contained those little flourescent light bulbs) and tape it in place. Then just glass over the whole thing as we have been doing. I think two layers is just slightly overkill, but I like the strength.

Overall weight should not be a problem - the wing and canopy together are 5 oz. The plane still feels very light. Eagerly building toward the final weigh-in... :p

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004369.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	26765

Name:	Im004371.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	26766

Name:	Im004374.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	26767

Name:	Im004376.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	26768
Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #18
markind

Default Wing, Part 4 - New Ailerons

I went over the wing and canopy with Sanding Sealer (Minwax), and sanded with 220 grit. WOW! Nice and smooth as glass, but not perfectly even, as can be seen in the pics.

I am thinking another coat of sanding sealer, or maybe Minwax PolyClear to fill in the low spots, leaving a perfect surface for Krylon H20 Arctic White to go on. Yes it will add a little weight...

The main thing today was that I decided to dump the stock Ailerons. Look at 'em! So flimsy... I manufactured my own out of balsa, and used Du-Bro hinges.

Excellent, dude! These are the finest hand-made control surfaces in my zip code at the moment, for sure!!

Notes: Control Horn mounting - I drilled holes and flooded the area with thin CA - the balsa soaked it up and the whole area around the Horn is really solid - like hard plastic. Before it cured, I used gel CA to fix the Horn down. Solid as a rock!

For the hinges, I used 90-second epoxy. Fast and strong. Don't get any actually in the hinge itself! Time enough to get the position just right without taking forever.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004383.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	26885

Name:	Im004384.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	26886

Name:	Im004387.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	26887

Name:	Im004390.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	26888

Name:	Im004391.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	26889

Name:	Im004392.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	26890

Name:	Im004396.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	26891
Old 03-29-2007, 03:37 AM   #19
markind

This is worth noting - one heavy coat, topside only, of Minwax Polycrylic, brought the weight of the wing/canopy up to 5.37 oz.

Probably, a full coat over the whole thing is about a half oz.

I think I'm going to paint before adding the ailerons. I don't like the idea of paint in the hinges. But I need to figure out how to attach them with the paint there...

Got it... I'll just tape off where the hinges will go, then paint...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #20
markind

Arrow Fuselage Exterior, Part 1

We have now glassed the entire left side of the fuselage.

Also, we designed a lightweight and incredibly strong landing gear mounting.

Two strips of CF and 10 times around each leg with fiberglass - this thing can hold 100 times the weight of the plane before shearing off. If the landing gear get munched, the whole thing can be Dremel'ed away and replaced without too much pain.

The mess will be glassed over and sanded - it will look smooth and 'part of the plane' when painted over.

Also, we sanded around the cooling air intake cowling and opened it up for air flow.

We have a piece of polycarbonate plastic (Lexan) from a package that contained a cake decorator (squeezer bag thing) that will make a perfect Cooling Air Exit Cowling for the aft end. It can go in after the epoxy has cured.

I also stuck on a nose cone thingy and am continuing to experiment with the GWS 8060 (8x6) prop. Looking good so far...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004397.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	27412

Name:	Im004400.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	27413

Name:	Im004401.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	27414

Name:	Im004406.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	27415
Old 04-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #21
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hey there Markind,
She's lookin good so far, when's the maiden?

Crashalott
Old 04-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #22
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

Glad you figured out a fix for the LG, I don't recall having any on the Stuntman that I had many moons ago. Fantastic thread so far!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #23
markind

Default Fuselage Exterior, Part 2 - Sanding

On the fuselage, all the fiberglass has cured and after LOTS of sanding, a few low spots are revealed in the right light.

I will fill these in with epoxy heavy with microballoons, and after curing, should be able to sand down to a smooth finish over the whole fuselage.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004437.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	27557

Name:	Im004433.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	27558
Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #24
markind

Default Canopy Part 3 - Final Coat

I screwed up on the canopy. Deep scratches and gouges all over.

To fix it, I used Elmer's Wood Filler. Packed it in and around with a popsickle stick and let it dry overnight.

Then, attacked it with 60 grit to get the bulk removed, then 100, 120, 150, 220, and finally 400 grit to get a real nice smooth surface, then coated with Sanding Sealer.

Again light sanding with 400 grit, and H2O Black goes on as is slick and black as night itself. Wayyyy coool. The pics don't do justice. Can't wait for the tape to come off!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004428.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	27559

Name:	Im004432.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	27560
Old 04-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #25
markind

Exclamation Cowling, Part 1

When the tape came off, I was disappointed to see a lot of paint had leaked around the edges of the tape. I am touching it up now. Also, the finish was not a good as when the paint was wet. Good enough, but nothing stellar. Overall the wing/canopy looks pretty good and is pretty much done. Pics of that later.

The buttplug that sold me the kit did not include a cowling to cover the motor. So, I have to craft one.

I started with a Parkzone P-51 cowling for $2.50. I cut it up to fit the nose of the Stuntman.

I then taped it on with regular clear tape, making sure it had a good fit and position.

I then glassed it. After it cures, I can remove it and add more fiberglass. It should sand down nice and smooth. Later, I will glass in a 'chin implant' to smooth out the bottom line.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im004447.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	28027

Name:	Im004445.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	28028

Name:	Im004453.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	28029

Name:	Im004454.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	28030

Name:	Im004457.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	28031

Name:	Im004462.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	28032

Name:	Im004464.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	28033

Name:	Im004465.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	28034

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies