Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #51
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

How do I fly, exactly?

I don't use the exactly method, I Just Fly.

The best advice is to forget about down elevator at first. With a properly set up plane, you should not need it, and it just confuses the issue. Its easier to remember the one direction you will need, UP. As you gain experience and want to dive and loop, the down direction will come naturally.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #52
thomdoe

Friends: (0)

Bill G, DOWN is the one I always hit FIRST. Keith
Old 06-12-2006, 04:53 AM   #53
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by thomdoe View Post
Bill G, DOWN is the one I always hit FIRST. Keith
Must be ROG. I hand launched everything.

Hitting down immediately after launch has wonderful results. This can regularly be seen when the elevator channel is accidentally reversed.
BTDT
Old 06-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #54
thomdoe

Always A Hit
Old 08-17-2006, 12:22 AM   #55
Slowdoc
Ernie Jones (AMA# 865599)

Ed: I just signed up today and read your discussion. I have a dumb question.
You say always keep the plane upwind from you. I take it upwind means wind in your face? I understand you take off and land into wind but how can you fly upwind and not turn to fly with the wind? Still confused??
Old 08-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #56
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

View Solid Hit's Gallery12
Friends: (1)

I think he means he wants you to fly with the wind in your face. Of course you will have to fly it down wind but you will want to keep it in front of you.

The only exception will be on final when you will fly it down wind from where you are standing and bring it back up.

I fly, therefore I crash.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #57
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Heres how I get the kid's in my club MULLETS MAURDERS ( mostly 5-13 year old nab'erhood young'ins) to get past the dreaded "revevse control fly'in back prob" is to push control stick toward the dipp'in wing, even the youngist seem to "get it" almost right away! It's a trick I've used for years teach'in folks sail'in boats wing-on-wing (dead down wind) where one points the tiller at the flapp'in sail, It seem to help folks from hav'in to take the time to think ( which way was it soppose to go???) works for grown-ups too!!!!!your bub, steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 198.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	16728  
Old 09-30-2006, 12:24 AM   #58
Broken Balsa
Boken Balsa

Default Doing by yourself

I started flying r/c models in 1961 or 62. In all those years I have only seen one person pick up a transmitter and fly a plane cold turkey and he designed the Lance Air. I still cannot believe he did it. Please listen to the gentlemen who tell you to get help from an instructor. That person with a buddy box will make the hobby enjoyable and most likely a life long love affair. Many people have tried it on thier own only to fail and throw the remains in the trash can or in a back room at home to be forgotten. This is not whats its all about. You would have to live in a very remote area not to have a flying club with in driving distance. These folks are in it usually for the long hawl and like all who love thier hobby cannot wait to pass it on to some one else. Go there, ask questions and you will be supprised at the response you will get. Just like on this forum there will be those there who cannot wait to help you learn the right way and you will enjoy the hobby the rest of your life. I did and I still do...Ron

RON
Old 02-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #59
fezz
Spit Junkie

here is a tip i picked up recently at my club field.

i've been flying my SC for a couple of months and flying it well. i've always controlled the right stick with my thumb. i was smooth on the inputs but the flight of the plane was always "notchy."

well, i was told to grab the stick with thumb and forefinger - and it has made all the difference. real small moves and much finer control of the plane. the flight notchiness is gone and the plane is moving smoothly through the air. if you aren't flying like this - give it a try.

Joe

H9 Spitfire - Elec. Conversion - Coming Soon
Ripmax Supermarine - under construction
PZ RTF Spit #1, #2, #3 - Aileron Trainer w/ AR6100 RX
Super Cub - Daily Flyer
Estes Sky Ranger - Crash Test Dummy II
AeroAce - Crash Test Dummy I
Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #60
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Broken Balsa View Post
I started flying r/c models in 1961 or 62. In all those years I have only seen one person pick up a transmitter and fly a plane cold turkey and he designed the Lance Air. I still cannot believe he did it. Please listen to the gentlemen who tell you to get help from an instructor. That person with a buddy box will make the hobby enjoyable and most likely a life long love affair. Many people have tried it on thier own only to fail and throw the remains in the trash can or in a back room at home to be forgotten. This is not whats its all about. You would have to live in a very remote area not to have a flying club with in driving distance. These folks are in it usually for the long hawl and like all who love thier hobby cannot wait to pass it on to some one else. Go there, ask questions and you will be supprised at the response you will get. Just like on this forum there will be those there who cannot wait to help you learn the right way and you will enjoy the hobby the rest of your life. I did and I still do...Ron
Ron I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that guy knew how to fly RC before he picked up that TX.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Project "GlobeTrotter" Participant
Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #61
shortfellow

Default stick control

Fezz, you are to be commended for your wonderful contribution. I remember the difficulty I had controlling my trainer on take-off. It would zigzag from one side of the runway to the other. One day I was watching one of our best pilots and noticed that he had a thumb and forefinger on each stick. I guess you know I tried it and what a difference it made.
This site could use more contributions like yours Fezz.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #62
markind

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Ron I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that guy knew how to fly RC before he picked up that TX.
Maybe not!

I am total nOOB and I put together my first 4 channel plane with ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle just recently.

I had perfect success on my first maiden flight - reasons include spending MANY hours on the simulator FIRST, and making sure the plane was balanced and had correct CG placement.

Also, I had a old-timer pro look over my new plane and he made sure the linkages and control throws were all good.

I was nervous at first, but the plane really did behave like the simulator, and I had already mastered the art of near-perfect landings. My very first two flights were flawless (the first was a bit rough at first but then turned dreamy after a little trim setting).

The old-timers around me when I accomplished this could not believe it!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #63
fezz
Spit Junkie

thanks, i'll try to make my comments worthwile.

i've always been the kind of learner that only had to be told once.

Joe

Super Cub - Daily Flyer
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #64
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Default old dog liked your new trick

fezz:: I have bubs that fly that way and they swear by it, After read'in your post I tried it and it was kinda fun, Been fly'in rc an C<L< for over 40 years and this old dog liked your new trick, your bub, steve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planes 581.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	25212   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 584.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	25213   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 577.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	25214  
Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #65
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
fezz:: I have bubs that fly that way and they swear by it, After read'in your post I tried it and it was kinda fun, Been fly'in rc an C<L< for over 40 years and this old dog liked your new trick, your bub, steve
awesome.

Joe

Super Cub - Daily Flyer
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 AM   #66
Airhead
Redneck Member

View Airhead's Gallery23
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  Ambassador Award 
Friends: (29)

Thanks Fezz for the tip. I'm a pretty new RC pilot and appreciate all the suggestions that I have gotten here at Wattflyer.
When I go to the field I'm usually alone (actually, I'm always alone) so its like I always fly with my friends here at WF...

Bruce
AMA 873912

Project Globetrotter participant
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #67
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

airhead:: I fly alone alot and it sucks sometimes ( sometimes it's great) I started a kids RC club a dozon years or so back an have had over 40 kids from the area ( 99%, underprivledged,) and what a bunch fun they are , two of my little bub's dads were in my club when they were kids! back on the subject, Always go nose heavy on the C.G. when teach'in kids as they pull out better than they recover from stall'in and it's better for them to land fast than upside-downzee, I go'in to try out thumb'in- forefinger control out on some of the kids this weekend, which around here shall for ever be dubbed after my bub FEZZ as FEZZ CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your bub steve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	planes 135.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	25325   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 143.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	25326   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 147.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	25327   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 399.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	25328   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 466.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	25329  

Name:	planes 584.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	25330  
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #68
fezz
Spit Junkie

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
FEZZ CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i certainly cant take any of the credit for myself - just passing along what I thought was a pretty good technique. But, I am flattered by the whole thing.

Joe

Super Cub - Daily Flyer
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #69
Air Trucker
Air trucker

View Air Trucker's Gallery2
Friends: (2)

The real flight Simulator Is what I used, it come with Control box like the one you will use in real flight. I did a few hours on it and solo the week last on first flight with a slow st. Built an easy star last friday and flew it sunday for several hours. No crashes no broken part. I think the real flight was the real reason I did well. With A lot of help from crash9. The first flight he got the plane air bore and handed over to me. Went great. Like some of others have written. Go and find a local r/c field and ask, maybe some one will take you under there wing, MM
Old 03-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #70
mtdoramike

I agree, WOW I feel like I can almost fly the Superstar EP after reading Ed's response. BUT, I have to agree with everyone, get a flight simm or a local trainer to help you out. Take it from someone who KNOWS. I too take my first maiden flight with the Superstar EP and lets just say it was a disaster. I was in an open field of about 10-15 acres ate least and thought it was plenty of room. WRONG, I hand launched the Superstar for a fellow I had met who had a little more experience then I did, but not much more. The Superstar climbed and was flying very well, Ted handed the controls over to me and told me to bring it back over the field and try a landing approach. BIG MISTAKE, I gave it a little left rudder bump and the Superstar went straight into the ground from about 40 feet up before Ted could grab the controls from me.

Needless to say, I didn't have an experienced trainer nor had I played on a simm either. The Superstar was in pieces, well at least from the wing forward was snapped off. It crashed inside a fenced in business that sells luxory motor homes and all I could think of while driving over there was, GOD I hope I didn't hit anyone or anything other then the ground. The plane was not important at that moment. But fortunately it crashed in some weeds next to the fence. This was last Monday a week ago. I have just rebuilt the entire nose section of the plane and awaiting the monokote to finish it. A fellow forum member sent me a new motor since the shaft of mine got bent in the crash.

I since have joined AMA and in the process of joining a club where they have trainers and trainer planes as well as buddy boxes.

I attached some before and after pics of the Superstar.

Originally Posted by Jeremy Z View Post
Wow Ed, I'm humbled by that response. Thanks a lot. I'm going to start a Word file to put all these great tips in, for later use. Or print them, or both.

I downloaded the FMS program & installed it on my computer. I need to look into how to control it. My 27 MHz radio doesn't have have jack for a buddy cord, so I hope I can get some other type of controller... The program itself looks great, and I have downloaded the T-Hawk model for it.

I've signed up for AMA (the trial deal for $20 for three months) and contacted local club members through AMAs table of local flyers. (though much of the stuff is out of date...)

Thanks a lot for the tips everyone. Maybe this is a candidate for a thread that should be archived or made sticky in this forum? That way, the experienced flyers could put their heart into it, and not worry that some newb will come along every week asking the same question.

Jeremy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Superstar EP 001.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	26186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superstar EP 002.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	26187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superstar EP 004.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	26188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superstar EP 003.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	26189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superstar 001.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	26190  

Name:	Superstar 002.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	26191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superstar 003.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	26192  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #71
olbinder67

I just flew my Hobbyzone Commander 2 for the first time today and I really like it, I had a couple of hard landings but no damage thank goodness.

Does any have any suggestion to make my plane more visible? I made the mistake of flying it between me and the sun and lost sight of it completly!!!! I thought it was a gonner but a nice sagebrush caught it for me. I will make sure not to do that again, but everyone says that altitude is your friend, it would be nice to have something easy to see when its way up there.

I can see where the tail might be a weak spot, has anyone tried the replacement tails on sale at Ebay? They are black or blue and are supposed to be very durable, and due to a larger flap make your plane more responsive, They are supposed to make it easier to fly in wind too.

Any thoughts or comments to a new guy regarding the Commander 2 would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #72
kuzikood
gravity expert

Send a message via Yahoo to kuzikood

one word of advice about the t-hawk ...for a complete green person it will be very fast but is a great flying bird and once you learn to thermal you can easily keep it up in the air this spring for 30 mins or so at a time...i know my neck started hurting long before the battery went down but trust me its a great plane

dont get frustrated........take it out on those you love!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #73
arniep

Default servo and control horn throws???

I have read some threads that advise to reduce the throws of servos in order to make the controls less sensitive.
The question is, which way do I move the control rod on the servo arm and/or control horn to reduce the throws?
I am a complete newbie to this and hope somebody can give this basic info. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #74
brnyrbbl