Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #126
Dancingeagle

Friends: (0)

well flyers I can't say that I have any new news to report on the P-51 as I have not yet had the opp to get out and fly it . Weather and other factors have been keeping me away from my beloved hobby for a while now but I am hoping to find some time soon to get back to the workbench as I have many project to complete. I will however keep you all posted on the tips I get .
Old 12-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #127
Kavurcen
Neurotic

info

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
you should buy about 5-10
Ummm, do you want to spend a thousand dollars?

And now for something completely different.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #128
HERNAN

Hello, in order to easily control the plane with a transmitter, i usually move the elevator stick (one on the right) thinking like this:
If i want the nose of the plane to go up i just pull.
If i want the nose of the plane to go down i just push.

So better this way, instead of thinking of up elevator and pulling the stick down and down elevator and pushing it up, this way is kind of
confusing the mind.

So, better if i think of nose down and up, and pulling for up and pushing for down.

Try it !!!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #129
Keith wilson
AMA 6418 New Stanton, Pa.

Originally Posted by Air Trucker View Post
The p-51 Model flies like the real thing. You drop the power on landing and it will drop like a rock. Then most people try to power out to hard and it will roll over the same dir as the prop. the same is on take off and to much power it will roll over. you have to build up air speed and power slowly or she will roll over. I have flown both the real thing and the model. Max
If you punch the throttle dont you mean it will roll opposite the prop direction?

...Keith...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #130
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

This seems like a landing thing rather then a plane thing. Trim is a very important aspect of landing. How are you trimming your plane for landing? Also I find in better to fly the plane in for a landing as opposed to coming in as slow as I can. This way the wind doesn't affect the plane as much. After you become more proficient the slower you can go. Trim the plane for straight and level flight at half throttle this is very important. When you back off the throttle for landing the plane should start to loose altitude. If it's coming down to fast you can either give it a little more throttle or a little more up trim. I would go with the throttle myself. But you do what you feel comfortable with. The main thing is keep the speed up on the plane while loosing altitude. Don't go to fast but don't go to slow. You should be able to use the ailerons to keep the wings level and the nose slightly down or level with the elevator. Nose is NEVER up on landing. Stay like this till just before touch down then just ease back on the throttle and as the plane slows down ease back on the elevator and you are down. Most newbies slow the plane way down and hold the nose up. This is not good on any type of plane. Next time you fly try to fly the plane in for a landing and see what happens.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Project "GlobeTrotter" Participant
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #131
Phat Max

Thanks for this sticky...very helpful for a beginner!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #132
madwebtvscientist

Default Exciting new information especialy for newbies - scary for status quo

It has been a while since I dropped by and find this is as good a time as any to share some new stuff that has been useful to inspire newbies. Please click on:
RE: Badius Owners Club (CONTINUED)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52...tm.htm#8769166
Please Page down to post # 14505

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. Aircraft modeling is on a roll and is seriously involved in the culture war in a way that will surely have a positive influence on the inevitable outcome in the triumph of truth.

I am "temporarily" unable to respond to all the neat stuff on the RCU forum so assuming this forum is able to continue to drone on toward the target area, it will have to serve as my current weapon of choice.

Thanks for keeping this forum alive!

madwebtvscientist
Old 07-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #133
hungryjoe56

Hope this goes in the right spot: When Ed Anderson says to keep your plane "up wind" from you does that mean that I'm facing into the wind at all times? Why can't you let the plane pass you?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #134
soarr
Glider guider

Originally Posted by hungryjoe56 View Post
Hope this goes in the right spot: When Ed Anderson says to keep your plane "up wind" from you does that mean that I'm facing into the wind at all times? Why can't you let the plane pass you?
Yes, you should try to face into the wind and keep your plane from drifting downwind. The problem is that if you get too far downwind, you may not have enough power to fly into the wind to get back.

Mike
Old 07-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #135
madwebtvscientist

hungryjoe, yes, flying upwind is the ideal strategy for most flying. There are cases, however, where the wind is coming out of the sun in morning or late in the day. Beginning flyers can find these conditions difficult, so can some of us more experienced flyers. I maidened a new plane recently and was forced to fly mostly down wind or 90 degrees from down wind to keep the sun out of my eyes. Fortunately, I was able to regain control after becoming disoriented with the unfamiliar plane down wind as I had let the plane get too far away. This is the real danger of down wind flying.

Proper landing technique is the most comfortable for me to circle down wind and attempt to land flying up wind past myself so as to not have to walk so far to retrieve my plane.

Happy flying!

madwebtvscientist (< :
Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #136
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Awards Showcase

1kW  125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon 

HI Madweb, yes, flying into the sun is dangerous for beginners! Her is a video of what happens when one flies into the sun! I did this with my Trojan here and my Super Cub as well. Always fly with sunglasses, and never directly into the sun. I lost sight of the Trojan for about one second and well...you will see.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #137
madwebtvscientist

Default sun glasses?

thumbs, Sorry about your T-28. My Web TV media reader won't allow me to see your plane. I hope it won't be too hard to repair or replace.

I should wear sun glasses myself especially under the above mentioned conditions. I always choose to fly "down sun" regardless of where the wind is blowing without sun glasses because I enjoy seeing my plane more clearly. I have enough experience now that I have myself convinced that I don't have to be overly concerned about "minor" wind or sun conditions. Extra horsepower can provide that little extra margin of safety that can be useful in marginal conditions.

Having totaled a beautiful SPAD recently in windy conditions did turn out to be a rather humbling experience, so I do need to pay attention to possible dangers and not allow myself to be quite so cocky sometimes.

madwebtvscientist (<:

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #138
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Awards Showcase

1kW  125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon 

Thanks Madweb! The plane glued up nicely and still flies like a champ. Got over 30 packs through her now, and feel much, much more confident in flying it. Long ways to go to get where I want to be though!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #139
hungryjoe56

I need help. Maybe I'm too old (over 70) to pick this hobby up. Maybe this is a game for kids who grew up on video games. I've been into model planes all my life, but not the r/c variety. Now that I'm retired and have the money, I've leaped into r/c, and I'm one frustrated dude. I've tried to read these threads and follow their recommendations. I've loaded FMS and tried to gain flight experience. Seems I'm as bad at FMS as I am with my Parkzone j-3 cub. My wife feels for me and wants me to start over with a different plan (Super Cub?). But I want to work this out first with my j-3 cub. I've wrecked so many times my plane looks like a relic from the junk pile. I own three motors, and I've gotten quite good at straightening propeller shafts, and rebuilding my plane.

I paid a kid at the hobby shop to give me a flying lesson and all that amounted to is his showing off with loops etc. and then landing my plane on a dime. He handed the controls to me once but I gave it back when I had the plane headed straight down.

First problem. I try to hand launch and the plane just nose dives ahead of me. I think I've read that you are not supposed to over control it at launch so only the throttle is on. Next, I try to take-off from the pavement. I have trouble getting the plane to taxi and speed up in a straight line. Finally, today, I got it airbourne by hold full up elevator and favoring left rudder. But as soon as I had it in the air, I overcooked the full up elevator and stalled nose first into the gravel road. Ouch!

I'm not whining. I'm a big boy. But does anyone see anything here, other than keep doing it?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #140
Keith wilson
AMA 6418 New Stanton, Pa.

I need help. Maybe I'm too old (over 70) to pick this hobby up. Maybe this is a game for kids who grew up on video games. I've been into model planes all my life, but not the r/c variety. Now that I'm retired and have the money, I've leaped into r/c, and I'm one frustrated dude. I've tried to read these threads and follow their recommendations. I've loaded FMS and tried to gain flight experience. Seems I'm as bad at FMS as I am with my Parkzone j-3 cub. My wife feels for me and wants me to start over with a different plan (Super Cub?). But I want to work this out first with my j-3 cub. I've wrecked so many times my plane looks like a relic from the junk pile. I own three motors, and I've gotten quite good at straightening propeller shafts, and rebuilding my plane.

I paid a kid at the hobby shop to give me a flying lesson and all that amounted to is his showing off with loops etc. and then landing my plane on a dime. He handed the controls to me once but I gave it back when I had the plane headed straight down.

First problem. I try to hand launch and the plane just nose dives ahead of me. I think I've read that you are not supposed to over control it at launch so only the throttle is on. Next, I try to take-off from the pavement. I have trouble getting the plane to taxi and speed up in a straight line. Finally, today, I got it airbourne by hold full up elevator and favoring left rudder. But as soon as I had it in the air, I overcooked the full up elevator and stalled nose first into the gravel road. Ouch!

I'm not whining. I'm a big boy. But does anyone see anything here, other than keep doing it?

Joe:

Your not to old im 78 going on 79, where do you live im in Pa

Think your prob is too much up elevator, you are stalling it and nose drops to the ground. Take it easy on your up elevator,dont let the nose climb so much and get some altitude and you sould be ok to start with. Cant you get somrone with a buddy cord to help you out?

...Keith...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #141
hungryjoe56

Thanks Keith. I'm in it for the long haul. I'm begining to think that my cub is so battered that things are out of alignment. For one thing, the wing as several wrinkles in it. Think I'll buy a new wing to see how that goes. I'm getting pretty good at this mechanic stuff, but I think I've knocked the gliding ability out of the poor thing. You shouldn't have to give the plane full up elevator just to get it in the air, should you?

I'm in Montana summers, and Arizona winters. Tough life, huh?

Joe
Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #142
madwebtvscientist

Default Yes you can!

WOW! This thread is really getting HOT! I hope everybody will hang in there.

In an attempt to be fair I will try to respond with edifying comments in the order the new posts came in.

thumbs, you are definitely on a roll! Interestingly, the next url brings up (most of the time) a parallel discussion with this thread about the dangers that can be lurking in the sun. In the beginning of my R/C career a few years ago I also managed to crash a couple of times due to the blinding effects of the sun.

I highly recommend that all fun loving warbird enthusiasts visit this thread and enjoy fighting the Battle of Britain with us. You will find that your favorite airplane is also being flown by some Spitfire enthusiasts on the thread. RE: Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk11B
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...page_49/tm.htm

Ryan, I bought a little, almost indestructible "Air Hoggs" R/C airplane from "Target" for an 8 year kid that seemed to work out very well. There are so many really good choices now as you might have already noticed on this thread that it would be presumptuous of me to recommend any single product. Part of the excitement of flight is that "little whiff of danger" that can intensify the emotion of possible new flying experiences. DARE TO BE A GREAT PILOT! (<:

hungryjoe, as a senior citizen like yourself I can identify with you a lot better than some of our young 60 year old modeling whippersnappers. (LOL) I highly recommend that you pick out a tough aesthetically appealing motor powered glider and practice hand launch gliding and wiggling the controls during the gliding flight as it settles in for a landing. I have developed a left hand launching technique that allows me to have control of my planes from the instant of launch. I often demonstrate this with new modeling prospects and can easily get the plane to fly 40 - 60 yards of smooth graceful gliding. Practice doing this until you begin to feel comfortable and in control.

Next, turn the motor on briefly then shutting it down for longer gliding flight. Continue this training until you begin to feel comfortable again. Okay, at some point when you are really beginning to think that this is a piece of cake, try to control the plane to fly an "S" shape path. The first time I successfully did this I literally felt weak in the knees.

Once you can fly out and perform a circle flight path back to yourself in either direction you are on your way to winning your wings. The final hurdle is to fly a figure eight flight path, then, after the nerves settle down, practice consecutive figure eights. You will now be unstoppable.

Please keep us posted so we can vicariously enjoy your inevitable progress.

FLY! FLY! FLY!

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 AM   #143
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Friends: (6)

Hi Joe.Let me give you an idea to consider which will surely get me flamed by my fellow wattheads like nobodys been flamed before

Try reversing your elevator switch on your radio so when you push up on the stick the plane goes up.Push down & the plane goes down.Seems logical to me.How bout' you

This is how I taught myself how to fly when I first started.Your brain(or at least most brains) are naturally wired to think this way.We have to "unlearn" this when we want to fly are toy planes like the real pilots fly

Now that I am fairly proficient at flying I can fly either way

Oh...and if you dont think this is controversial just take a look at this pole I did- Poll-what style are you with the sticks
Good Winds Buddy-RT
Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #144
Sabrehawk

View Sabrehawk's Gallery23
Club: Marymoor RC Club, Redmond Wa.
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (13)
Smile

Well if ya wanna know how to fly,...........exactly, then get and read this.
Its all you will ever need to know, and then some. Written in 1944, and still the best book on flying ever written.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CPd...age&q=&f=false

"Better to be looking up in the air wishing you were flying, than looking down at the ground wishing you weren't."
Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 AM   #145
hungryjoe56

Thank you Keith Wilson, Madwebtvscientist, Rolling Thunder, Sabrehawk: You guys have inspired me. I just finished a workover on what's left of my J-3. Before I try it again, I'm looking for a powered glider. I've also noticed when my plane starts to auger-in that I instinctively give it more of what it does not need! And on take-off when my plane starts to wander off line, I give exactly the wrong command. I think I'll try reversing some of the connections. Have to go to my brother's 80th birthday, but I'll be back flying in 10 days.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 AM   #146
Sabrehawk

View Sabrehawk's Gallery23
Club: Marymoor RC Club, Redmond Wa.
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (13)
Smile

Hehe yeah, and the connections that need reversing is the ones in our minds.
This is one of the things brought out strongly in Wolkgangs's book, that the wing is such an odd and strange thing to us, and it's behavior so contrary to common sense. So much so that as Yoda once told Luke "You must unlearn, what you have learned".
And so much of what we have learned is so ingrained, it takes a lot to break it. I like what he said where if he had only two hours to teach someone to fly, he would devote it to making him understand "Angle of Attack", for it is all there is to flying. And once understood, the rest all falls into place.
Once I understood this, I stopped stalling my planes and the unexplained crashes also stopped and the only thing that has brought them down since has been equipment failure of some kind.
And all those crashes of the past, I know what caused all of them......me and my well honed "ground sense". But now I think with "Air sense", and the ground no longer scares me, but welcomes me back.

"Better to be looking up in the air wishing you were flying, than looking down at the ground wishing you weren't."
Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #147
madwebtvscientist

Default Failure is not an option!

hungryjoe, your situation is identical to what I experienced in the beginning of my R/C training. I couldn't believe that my neurotic emotional state was literally causing me to apply control inputs opposite of what I wanted and/or just standing there watching my pride and joy fly right into the ground!

My big problem was my insistence on learning to fly in too small of space, and trying to fly too slowly. The stress of my self imposed constraints lead to crashing and emotional trauma that ultimately lead to even more crashing.

In addition to the recommended "training procedure" using a motor powered glider suggested in my last post, I also highly recommend the use of as large a flying space as possible to minimize stress. Another very useful concept for us older eyes guys is to provide a very visible different color on one wing to minimize disorientation when flying at "altitude."

If my past bad decisions that forced me to spend extra time to train/tame my emotional reactions to R/C flying turns out to be useful in your flight training, all that extra frustration I suffered through will have been more that worth it!

So, you now have no choice. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! (<:

madwebtvscientist

Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #148
velojet
Community Moderator

Club: Hibiscus Coast Radio Flyers
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (6)
Default Reversed controls?

... I think I'll try reversing some of the connections. ...
Oh please don't, hungryjoe, in the case of your elevator stick. Just get into the way of thinking, "I lean back as I'm going up and lean forward as I'm going down." It will soon seem very natural.

And, as with all learned physical skills, you need to talk yourself through them while you're learning, but they soon become instinctive - and that's when the real pleasure begins.

Stick [pun intended] with it!

John V

John Velojet - the Flying Kiwi
Project Globetrotter official route monitor
Project Globetrotter pilot (Western Pacific phase)
Jetex.org editor/developer
NZMAA #10375
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #149
netjunky

Friends: (1)

you can use a joystick on fms set aileron 1, elevator 2, and throttle 3 it flys ok but weather it helps with the regular controller i dont know
similar up down left right and might work with orientation

just dont go over the hill or you will be flying under the scenery
Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 AM   #150
netjunky

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by velojet View Post
"I lean back as I'm going up and lean forward as I'm going down." It will soon seem very natural.

John V

what happens when you fall over???

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
fly