Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Tinman
The Hot dog man

View Tinman's Gallery9
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinman
Friends: (14)
Default Hobby Zone Super Cub Crash (need of repair)

Hi everyone.

Well I finally bought the farm flying my Super Cub. Any suggestions on what kind of glue to use to keep the battery compartment from falling out? I attatched a few pics. Also the prop broke. Do you just take off the little nut to replace it?

I must admnit this little airplane is A LOT mor durable then I first thought. I was flying in about a 15 knot wind today. Im still learning but I had three really good flights. I even looped it once.

Damage came when the airplane got a little too far away from me and I landed pretty darn hard....

Thanks and happy flying!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1658.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	27357

Name:	100_1659.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	27358

Name:	100_1660.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	27359

Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

I've had good luck with Gorilla glue. Sumo glue is a similar polyurethane glue that is more white. Mix either with a couple drops of elmer's white glue (or water-moisture makes it "kick"). Do a small batch first to get a feel for it-it foams up.
The cub is pretty tough but it (like most planes) has a bunch of known weaknesses; battery box, wing struts, tail, propeller breakage (any plane with a puller prop in a new flier's hands), servo mount glue, wheels too small for grass, etc.
For a group of people that just discuss the Cub go here:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi
For a bunch of suggestions on repair and improvements go here:
http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php...d=17&Itemid=28
For a long thread about the Cub go here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43..._1/key_/tm.htm
And there's probably a thread in this forum if you search. All are worth reading.

I've had my Cub about a month, probably got 40 flights on it (more on an Aerobird Challenger). If I had a new one I would do almost ALL of the improvements before I flew it to help prevent as much damage with the inevitable crash.

Strongly suggest a prop saver, switch over to an E-flite 1080 or GWS HD 1060 prop (cheaper, better) and since you'll have the battery box out do the various gluing and reinforcing that is suggested. Gluing in a carbon or bamboo spar/reinforcement in the skinny tail is a good idea. Almost everyone breaks that off in a landing cartwheel. Larger wheels make take off and landing easier.

BTW-15 mph is a goodly amount of wind for the Cub. Landing gets pretty dicey for me over 8-10. Last time I did that I was doing fine until the last landing created a cartwheel and I broke off the tail (also a good way to break gears in the servo and mess up the tail feathers. That's when I added my carbon reinforcement.

flydiver
Old 01-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
bowers95713
Dead Plastic Pilots

View bowers95713's Gallery2
Club: Guys that crash T-28's alot - Newbies
Friends: (0)
Red face super cub repair

Crashing is only fun when you get it on video..... So, stop at the hobby store and get some CR Glue and a bottle of the quick dry. (DO NOT USE "Super glue" on foam).
Drip the cr under the battery compartment seam, and even a little along the top edge. Rubber band or clamp it to hold it together. You can also fill in any "small chunks" missing out of your foam wings, fuselage etc.... Spray the quik dry on it immediately and it will dry in about 20 secs.
Use some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out any bumps.

Buy, 5 props ($3.50 ea.) 2 engine cowlings (paint flames on 'em), One set of wing braces (the plastic straps that tension the wings). You'll need the eventually and it's all cheap.

Then go out and take off. climb up to 800 feet+... turn off the act, head into the wind... dive straight down for 75+ feet, pull back on stick until the cub is inverted, IMMEDIATELY push all the way up (reverse) the stick, and fly it upside down. Do not attempt it close to the ground because to get out you'll need to pull the stick back again and loop down and right the plane again..

Hey - get it on video for us!!

18 props and counting,
Jim

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Hi everyone.

Well I finally bought the farm flying my Super Cub. Any suggestions on what kind of glue to use to keep the battery compartment from falling out? I attatched a few pics. Also the prop broke. Do you just take off the little nut to replace it?

I must admnit this little airplane is A LOT mor durable then I first thought. I was flying in about a 15 knot wind today. Im still learning but I had three really good flights. I even looped it once.

Damage came when the airplane got a little too far away from me and I landed pretty darn hard....

Thanks and happy flying!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
bowers95713
Dead Plastic Pilots

View bowers95713's Gallery2
Club: Guys that crash T-28's alot - Newbies
Friends: (0)
Red face super cub props

Just tweak and spin the rubber cone counter clockwise until it will pull off.
Hold the prop close to the shaft. use a pair of pliers or a nut wrench to loosen the nut... Replace prop same side in.
Paint a "white spiral corkscrew" on the nose cone.... then go out there and slip the surly bonds of earth!

Jim

Originally Posted by bowers95713 View Post
Crashing is only fun when you get it on video..... So, stop at the hobby store and get some CR Glue and a bottle of the quick dry. (DO NOT USE "Super glue" on foam).
Drip the cr under the battery compartment seam, and even a little along the top edge. Rubber band or clamp it to hold it together. You can also fill in any "small chunks" missing out of your foam wings, fuselage etc.... Spray the quik dry on it immediately and it will dry in about 20 secs.
Use some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out any bumps.

Buy, 5 props ($3.50 ea.) 2 engine cowlings (paint flames on 'em), One set of wing braces (the plastic straps that tension the wings). You'll need the eventually and it's all cheap.

Then go out and take off. climb up to 800 feet+... turn off the act, head into the wind... dive straight down for 75+ feet, pull back on stick until the cub is inverted, IMMEDIATELY push all the way up (reverse) the stick, and fly it upside down. Do not attempt it close to the ground because to get out you'll need to pull the stick back again and loop down and right the plane again..

Hey - get it on video for us!!

18 props and counting,
Jim
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
offtom
Megans Servant

View offtom's Gallery6
Club: Maggie Mae's Menagerie
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (6)

Originally Posted by bowers95713 View Post
Replace prop same side in.

Jim

In other words, keep the numbers on the prop facing forward when you put the new one on.

Cheesy poofs are what Yankees get when they eat Southen Food!! bub, steve
Old 01-28-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

View gzsfrk's Gallery20
Awards Showcase

1kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (14)

For the cracked loose part on the bottom, I can't recommend clear two-stage 5-minute epoxy enough (CA glue, I think is what they call it around here). You can pick it up for $5 or less at somewhere like Home Depot or Lowe's, a little bit more if you get it at a hardware store or LHS.

If you want to save a little bit of money, then you can get some JB Kwik (dark grey quick drying 2-stage epoxy) for like $2 at Wal-Mart.

Either of those should work fine for repairing that damage and dry super hard and strong. But if you use the clear, you won't notice it as much.

- Matt
"The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport."
- Orville Wright

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners