Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Australia
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #26
up_ya_go
up is good

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by airmail wf View Post
Hey Ray let me know what they find on the other end of that Rainbow.

Terry
LOL ..... may even be that proverbial "pot o gold " ... with some luck !!!
Ray
Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #27
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by up_ya_go View Post
LOL ..... may even be that proverbial "pot o gold " ... with some luck !!!
Ray
Some where over the Rainbow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbow7.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	27656  

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Project "GlobeTrotter" Participant
Old 04-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #28
pldaniels

Club: Towers MAC
Friends: (0)

Hey everyone... nice to see another Aussie thread here on Wattflyer

Do I have to do the "big introduction" or does everyone pretty much know who I already am? (Now I'm being presumptious aren't it )

Paul.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #29
pldaniels

So, what's everyone doing this holiday?

I'm thinking of powering up the SlowStick and giving my wife some more time in the air... while also conjuring up ways to make my Seether drop bombs -and- close the bay doors again.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #30
up_ya_go
up is good

Nice Rainbow Terry !!!!

Hi Paul ... good to see you have found this new thread . Goodness with the likes of ... What_The (Tim) ...and yourself in here ... I'm sure those of us still trying to learn about all this stuff .. will sure benifit and enjoy this thread as it developes !!
Quiet weekend ahead for me ... but looking forward to a nice family BBQ and picnic with the Grankids on Sunday.
Have a good and safe Easter everyone
God speed !!!
Ray
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #31
pldaniels

Just got back from the park, teaching my wife how to fly on the SlowStick - alas it was slightly gusty and there's something not quite -right- with the ESC at the moment, or the motor... or the wiring. Anyhow, looks like I'll have to give things a bit of a strip-down and cleaning.

Paul.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #32
up_ya_go
up is good

Wow Paul ... you are a very game man by golly !!! setting out to teach the managing director to fly is a very risky thing to do !!!! Full marks mate ... a real gutsy move !!!
Let us know of your survival score .... and do you get to sleep in the house as normal ... or out in the dog house ? Tee Hee
cheers
Ray
Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #33
pldaniels

Ray,

She enjoyed the flight she had the other week - but today the weather was a little more gusty (ie, gusts up to 3~5km/hr ). Also, the ESC/motor was playing up and despite the ESC showing "power to the motor" the motor simply refused to kick over until I wiggled everything and it was running again - most confusing and she started getting that "I'm bored look".

To make things even more thrilling, the motor decided to eject itself at one point in the flight... at least I didn't have to twist those wires up again :| Fortunately the rubber bands holding the 2S2200 lipo also were holding the motor wires so the motor didn't move too far and hence the CG was still "flyable".

Tonight I replaced the wires and the connectors (Deans Ultra) for the ESC and motor, let's hope that it flies okay tommorow (I think it's a bit too soon to have her flying the Seether )

Paul.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #34
up_ya_go
up is good

that's great then Paul .... everyday we survive with a tick in the box is great eh !!! I take it you have escaped the "sleeping out with the dog " thing .. so you really are indeed a genius .... but when she who must be obeyed is flying the Seether .... then mate ... you better be real careful !!! LOL
cheers
Ray
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #35
paranoia
Australia in the US

what_the!?

so where is your flying fields at then, are you in a club?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #36
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

View watt_the?!'s Gallery38
Friends: (5)

I must admit that my flying has been severely cut back since my daughter was born...i fly at a nearby paddock but have taken a look at the RAAF base's club recently and might join up there....not exactly ideal though for electrics..
Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #37
pldaniels

Hey everyone,

Managed to get some time on the GWS Mini-DF before the sun went down today, about 10 minutes all up. Fortunately the wind wasn't very strong outside so I managed to do some FFF without slamming into things and breaking parts

Paul.

Quality R/C Electronics, Balsa Kits and more - http://nqrc.com
Planes, plans and videos - http://pldaniels.com/flying
Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #38
psion854

Hi everyone, just wanted to say im new to rc. Always had an interest but never did much about it till now. Just bought a Blade CX2, and am having a blast. Fly it outside at about 6.45am b4 i start work - best time nice and still. It's great to fly. Anyway just thought id say hi from Adelaide
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #39
pldaniels

I think we need a bit more chattering in here

What's everyone working on lately?

I'm trying to get a GWS Beaver and DC-3 finished.

... and design a new balsawood kit for MountainModels.

paul.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #40
West-Oz

Welcome Psion 854, do you have an easier name? What is a Blade cx2 and was it your first model? Are you self taught?
Does anyone out there know if I can add an extra cell to the seven cell NMH pack in my EGO 182? There is room for it but Im not sure if the rx etc can handle the extra power? Has anyone converted the EGO 182v to run on lipos or uprated the motor etc. As you can tell, I am relatively new to Electrics having flown IC forever.
Tim.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #41
kgfly

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

G'day Tim,

A Blade CX2 is a small twin rotor coaxial RTF heli.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/eflite...helicopter.htm

It comes with a 2.4GHz spread spectrum radio (Spektrum brand) and is an excellent first heli. It is best suited to indoors but can be flown in dead calm outdoors. Range is intentionally limited to under 100m which is not a real limitation since you couldn't possibly see it well enough to fly it more than 30m away anyway.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #42
Mighty Wings Australia

Club: Strathalbyn model aero club

Hi west oz,
I cant remember if the ego 182 can cope with extra cells but I would think so, what I can tell is that with a cheapy 400 size brushless and lipo I had a ball flying one a while back fitted with a set of GWS floats, with the motor I used it could r.o.g from wet grass with out a problem and even with the extra drag and weight of the flaots it was very capable of nice inverted flight and other great non scale aerobatics. I'm told the radio in them is now quite good unfortunately the first batch we sold through the shop suffered from inferior radio and tarnished my view a little, I met with the ego guys at toy fair and found them to be a good bunch of straight guys and believe they have done everything in their power to sort out their early radio issues.
the ego cessna is agreat flying model thats for sure,
regards
Alexis
Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
Mighty Wings Australia

Hi Paul,
I like your designs I have spent quite while studying your slipso design, and if work didn't get in the way I would be geeing up my flying mates to build a batch for match racing, they look like they would be a blast.
as for the beaver and DC3 I have a dc3 I part covered in in world models light tex and I think it looks quite nice, I'll see if I can attach apic for you here,
good luck to you,
regards
Alexis

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	28126  
Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #44
West-Oz

Thanks kgfly.
Alexis,can you enlighten me as to the radio problems with the 182? I quite often get glitches when I am flying and suspect the conection for the battery is el cheepo. Have bought some deans plugs but am saving them for the moment.
I really like the look of the Electric Shock reviewed in the latest Airbourne mag. I used to fly a Sig fazer .40 for many years and the Electric shock looks like a nice step up. Can anyone recommend the Electric Shock? I got caught out once believing a mag review about a fun fly profile plane. It turned out to be a heavy shoddy dog of a thing, so now I only go on word of mouth from fellow flyers as to quality of stuff on the market.
Tim.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #45
psion854

Originally Posted by West-Oz View Post
Welcome Psion 854, do you have an easier name? What is a Blade cx2 and was it your first model? Are you self taught?
Does anyone out there know if I can add an extra cell to the seven cell NMH pack in my EGO 182? There is room for it but Im not sure if the rx etc can handle the extra power? Has anyone converted the EGO 182v to run on lipos or uprated the motor etc. As you can tell, I am relatively new to Electrics having flown IC forever.
Tim.
Just call me Boz if its easier. I see someoine else answered what a BladeCX2 is. Yes Im self taught and love flying it. Im 43yrs old and when I was in my teens I got the building bug and built a gas rc trainer. I never flew it but enjoyed building it (I gave it away).
Now i have a young son that is interested in planes so I have been exposed to the new electric technology (unbelievable what can be done now)

I am looking at buying a ego Cessna 182. Are they any good as I have read some bad posts in the forums like bad glitches and esc etc.

I was looking at a Hobbyzone Super Cub but there electronics sound crap. Would really like some help in deciding on a good first decent plane.

Regards

Boz
Old 04-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #46
pldaniels

Alexis,

Hopefully the design was sufficiently appealing to your desires

A lot of the time my designs are very much a TLAR inspiration and I chip away at it from there. Most revisions on the designs have more to do with making the build process simpler or more accurate (laser cutting opens up many avenues).

Paul.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #47
West-Oz

Hi Boz
Coincidently I am a '63 model as well!!!!!
I like my 182, mostly for its scale looks. It flies reasonably well. It tends to be a little difficult in four channel mode as it does not level out laterally very well due to the ailerons not self centering properly. It uses wires in tubes to activate the ailerons via a single servo and the ailerons tend to require constant correction to maintain level lateral control.
The power is just sufficient providing the batteries are in tip top condition. Rolls, loops from a shallow dive and inverted flight is possible. With care, it can be thrown around pretty well.
I considered using the spare three channel wing to make a motor glider version by stretching the wing by about 300mm after catching a few thermals with the standard wing!
The only mods I have made so far is to sand off all the mold dimples from the foam fuse and wings, adding tape covers to all the hinge gaps and taping over a molded in channel that runs from tip to tip on top of the wing.
I also fitted a pop stick under the rear of the wing to correct a climbing problem under power. Inverted flight was improved by this mod also.
Value for money it is a good deal, especially if the afore mentioned radio problems are resolved now.
I went for the 4 channel version and got an extra batt pack to get a couple of flights in each time.
I am not sure if I would recommend it as a plane for a beginner. Providing you have a very big field, pull it up gently but get plenty of altitude and you may be OK. Obviously, instruction and buddy flying with an experienced flyer is the ideal scenario.
Perhaps the three channel version would be lighter and less complicated to fly?
Tim.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #48
Mighty Wings Australia

Evening Boz,
Just to throw my two bobs worth in here, since you have a blade, have a look at the quality of it, that will give you an idea of what to expect with a super cub, all comes from the Horizon Hobby group. I can't say I like the radio that comes with the cub, but not for any quality reasons, only because the set up is really dedigned to stay in the cub and not be transported off to the next project once its finished with, what I will say is that because of the conection to horizon I mentioned earlier I don't think you can fault the flying of a super cub it is brilliant and looks fantastic in the air and uses very lettle power to maintain flight something I cant say about a lot of trainer packages, I have flown many of them and find that they are very able to maintain height and perform nicely at just under half throttle leaving plenty of reserve and keeping good duration. A word of advice about the so called anticrash technology, it does work but only if the aircraft has enough height to recover, in other words don't turn it on at launch and expect it to teach you to fly, instead launch it and keep your elevator hand in your pocket and let the power and the wing gain you some altitude then you can turn on the anticrash if you start to have trouble gaining control of your new addiction, I have seen what happens when people turn it on and launch and the result looks terrible because part of the inbuilt recovery system is that the power is cut until level flight is returned, so if you launch poorly and the the motor cuts to help recover the bad attitude the aircraft has been put into by that poor launch you have very short unsatisfying flights, and it is in my opinion a nice flying model.
I hope this helps you with your decisions, I will let somebody with newer than 12 month old experience of the cessna tell you if their radio is any good because my experience of the early stuff was that it had virtually no range and glithcing was constant not just a rare occurance, as I said earlier though I don't want to bag a product that may well be now sorted, that would be unfair to the people who have done hard work to fix up the problem.
regards
Alexis,
Old 04-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #49
Fugitive_Bill
Flying High

Default Thought I'd stick my head in here...AU's own thread, cool!

Hi,

Great idea for Australia to have its own thread, hopefully when 'WE' ask a question we can get local general info. (ie products we've HEARD of!!)

I'm at Prospect (near Parramatta) and fly at a local park (Penrith) on Sundays.

The cars have their track and we have our strip, when cricket is'nt being played.

Here's what I fly when I go out there...
http://www.sportssyndications.com/pitts/pitts.htm

And fly my heli's sometimes, but I mainly keep then to the backyard.
Got a Walkere #22 & #36 they are fun, but I can't cut loose yet, like I can with planes.

Contact me pvt mail if you want to know exactly where we fly and see if we'll be that day (Sundays only - normally 4pm till dark)

We've never had trouble with council as there are only a few of us (up a 12 max show up, but that might change) and the electrics are so quiet, people hardly take a second glance.

Problem is the only two flying fields in zillion miles (Luddondairy and Vineard) membership is full. (and expensive)

And it's all just political for me.

Regards Bill.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #50
West-Oz

Hi Alexis
Can you recall what size lipo was used in the Cessna and if it fitted into the 182 without mods to the battery cage? Was the original RX and esc used?
I flew the 182 again this morning and it really does need more power. Even allowing for the fact that I also fly a plane with close to 3HP it really is not comfortable.
Tim.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Regional Forums > Regional forums listing > Australia