Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
pebeo
pebeo

Friends: (0)
Default How Does A Servo Connect To Control?

hello,

I have been trying to attach several things to a plane and i have no idea how to make the servos work. can someone give me a GENERAL idea on how to do this.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

pebeo,

Welcome to WF. Where are you having trouble at? On the servo or the flight control horn? What type of connectors are you using?

Looking for some pics.

Frank
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
pebeo
pebeo

Question sorry

sorry dude,

i got the plane today and building it now i have NO idea what you are talking about ( came without instructions):o

p.s. by control i meant like controller
Old 04-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Here's one:

Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

Are you referring to the servo connecting to the Rx? What plane are you building?

Frank
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

View Sky Sharkster's Gallery11
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (20)
Default Hooking Up Servos?

Hello Pebeo, Welcome to Wattflyer!
A servo is hooked up in two ways;
Electronically, to the receiver.
Mechanically, to the control surface.
By controller, I'm guessing you mean to the rest of the radio system. This is the electronic system. The transmitter, which (usually) has 2 control sticks, both of which move right-and-left, also up-and-down. Generally, the RIGHT stick up-and-down movement controls the elevator, which moves the plane up-and-down. This is also called "Pitch" control.
The RIGHT stick left-and-right movement usually controls the rudder (or ailerons, but for now, let's stick to rudder control) which controls the right-and-left movement of the aircraft. This is also called "Lateral" control.
These stick movements are sent out (transmitted) to an airborne receiver, which is tuned to the same radio frequency (channel and band) as the transmitter. The receiver, in turn, converts these airborne signals into electrical impulses, sent by a three-wire lead, to each servo. The receiver "tells" the servo when to move, which way, how much movement, when to stop moving and return to netural.
So, each servo has a 3-pin female connector which must be inserted into the proper slot (port) of the receiver. Generally, the # 1 port controls the rudder, #2 the elevator, # 3 ailerons and # 4 throttle. This can vary, depending on the brand of radio.
Since this is an electrical device, it need electric power to operate. The transmitter has it's own battery, but what about the receiver and servos?
Model airplanes that have electric motors for power, also use the motor battery for the radio (airborne components, receiver and servos) power. A device called an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC), which is an electronic "throttle" also diverts some of it's battery power to the receiver and servos. This device, as you might expect, gets plugged into the receiver port marked "Throttle". So, you must hook up an ESC and motor battery to power the receiver and servos. Or, you can use a small 4 cell NiCad or NiMH battery, plugged into the port marked "Batt" for power to the radio components. Many times these small batterys (receiver batteries) come with a complete radio set, usually there is a wall charger for both the transmitter and receiver batteries.
I hope this is what you were asking about!
Here's a link to a "Radio Control Basics" site;
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rad...trol-gear.html
Ron
Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
pebeo
pebeo

thanks

it should work now had a sticker covering prongs

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros